Dallas Cowboys 2019 Season Thread -- Aaaah Zeke Out?

Patrick Bateman

1 hour ago, DougO said:

Take it from Dez, who is committed to being an unemployed cancer.

Lulz. Of course the guy who constantly caused problems, was an asshole in the locker room, and completely underperformed his big contract before getting cut the minute his guaranteed money was out should be yapping here. If there's anyone who's situation should make the Jones' not sign Zeke it's this clown. 

2 hours ago, Pam Cummings said:

Tony Dorsett: one drunk driving arrest

Zeke Elliott: zero arrests

But, but, but....

Shit, Dorsett got a dwi in 1988 after he left the cowboys. I can only speculate the women Zeke will beat up and the arrests he'll pile up once he's done with football and no one is there to clean up his messes and make deals with the cops.

• Like 1

I’m starting to feel really bad for Dez. I’m not old enough to remember the early 90s cowboys, and for the longest time he was easily my favorite cowboy player that I watched on a consistent basis. He’s the type of person that needs football. If he doesn’t have it, and doesn’t have a way to make that kind of money, I’m afraid to think about where he could end up. And I’m not just talking about being broke.

Edited by youdunnf'dup

10 minutes ago, Deej said:

I'm  a lifelong Cowboys fan. We win the same amount of Superbowls with or without him. Zero.

Shitty owner, shitty coach. 

Maybe it's all a ploy to not have to overpay Dak. 

"Well, you did only win six games this year."

Uh pretty sure you're wrong.  I've studied their schedule and can't find a loss.  Sorry you have brain aids.  

6 minutes ago, EvilCaseMcCoy said:

Uh pretty sure you're wrong.  I've studied their schedule and can't find a loss.  Sorry you have brain aids.  

The past 23 years haven't told you shit? Good luck with that 16-0 fantasy. Even if they somehow pulled that off, they'd fuck it up come playoffs.

Edited by Deej

9 hours ago, Jive Turkey said:

I don't think the bolded part is correct.  When the Cowboys drafted Zeke in 2016, Romo was still the QB.  He had signed a 6 year extension in 2013.  The Cowboys were expecting Romo to play through at least 2019.  I think the plan was to use Zeke the same way they did with DeMarco.  Run him into the ground and get rid of him. 

Why did the Cowboys take Zeke at #4 if they weren't going to keep him around for a second deal?  I think they figured their best chance to win was to have a bad ass RB, who could take pressure off of Romo.  The idea wasn't to build the offense around Zeke.  They drafted Zeke to make the offense more Romo-friendly.  But this was always Romo's offense.  I'm convinced Zeke would have been treated the same way as DeMarco. 

But Romo got hurt and Dak had to start.  So the offensive philosophy changed.  And that's why there is a desire to keep Zeke around for a second contract.  I don't think it was the plan from the get go.  And with the Cowboys willing to let Zeke hang, I think it means they're thinking Dak is getting close to where Romo was circa-2015, and that they'd be fine running Zeke into the ground and not resigning him.  Especially if Pollard lights it up to start the season, which he very well could against 3 weak teams.

You don't spend your highest pick in 30 years on a player you don't plan to keep past the first contract. 

5 minutes ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

I wasn't commenting on that specific point. I was replying to the premise of the post quoted in my post. We obviously never shouldve drafted Zeke in the first place. 

oh, well then.  let’s just invent time travel and go back to 2016 and pick jalen ramsey. 

1 hour ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

You don't spend your highest pick in 30 years on a player you don't plan to keep past the first contract. 

Agree with this.  The issue is one team gave a player at a specific position an absurd contract and fucked the market for everyone.  To "reset" the market, it may take a player like Zeke or Barkley in a couple of years to get frozen out.  There's a reason why most teams don't spend top 10 picks on running backs.

Edited by Patrick Bateman

If you look at the last 10 years of champions you see titles are won in this league on 3 things: 1) QB's arm. 2) Head Coach competence. 3) Backs of the defense. Those are the three things that have to lead the teams to the title. 

Only 2013 Seattle had a feature running back similar to Zeke when Lynch was 3rd in the NFL with 1560 yds rushing, but that team was filled with rookie deal defenders and had a rookie deal QB. That would be the one outlier season that this year's cowboys would need to emulate to win a title, but that defense was by a wide margin the best in the league and the first defense in almost 30 years to lead the league in points allowed, yards allowed, and turnovers forced. 

Every other team in the modern rules era didn't have a feature back, had a QB lead them, had a coach who didn't fuck up like Garrett did not resting the defense in week 17 last season, and had a top tier defense. 

Looks like the most important things to a title are to have a capable QB, a capable coach, and spend money to have a top tier defense. 

9 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

Agree with this.  The issue is one team gave a player at a specific position an absurd contract and fucked the market for everyone.  To "reset" the market, it may take a player like Zeke or Barkley in a couple of years to get frozen out.  There's a reason why most teams don't spend top 10 picks on running backs.

In addition to the Ram's financial rationale for giving Gurley his contract (which you mentioned in an earlier post), an aspect of Gurley's game that also contributed to him getting such a huge contract is the fact that he can perform as a WR at a fairly high level. Both Bell and Kamara have proven that they can do it as well. Despite the design of our offense rendering him limited opportunities, I don't think Zeke would ever be capable of doing what those other 3 backs do in terms of route running and actually functioning as an extra WR. His inability to do any of the above duties is another reason that he shouldn't be paid on a commensurate level with Gurley and Bell.  

1 hour ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

In addition to the Ram's financial rationale for giving Gurley his contract (which you mentioned in an earlier post), an aspect of Gurley's game that also contributed to him getting such a huge contract is the fact that he can perform as a WR at a fairly high level. Both Bell and Kamara have proven that they can do it as well. Despite the design of our offense rendering him limited opportunities, I don't think Zeke would ever be capable of doing what those other 3 backs do in terms of route running and actually functioning as an extra WR. His inability to do any of the above duties is another reason that he shouldn't be paid on a commensurate level with Gurley and Bell.  

Zeke ranked 5th among rbs in both targets and catches last year. He was right behind Kamara in both categories and ahead of Gurley in both categories (Gurley was hurt for a portion of the year obviously, but still). Zeke is fully capable of producing in that role. McVay and Sean Peyton aren’t stupid. They know they can get their RBs touches in a variety of ways. Linehan had no creativity and Zeke still put up those receiving numbers. Hell, from the time cooper got here he was pacing for as many catches as McCaffrey, who lead the league in the category. Give him a full year with Kellen Moore and you’ll realize you’re probably wrong with this take. If you don’t want to pay him as much as Gurley, fine. But that’s just not the reason.

Edited by youdunnf'dup

2 hours ago, youdunnf'dup said:

Zeke ranked 5th among rbs in both targets and catches last year. He was right behind Kamara in both categories and ahead of Gurley in both categories (Gurley was hurt for a portion of the year obviously, but still). Zeke is fully capable of producing in that role. McVay and Sean Peyton aren’t stupid. They know they can get their RBs touches in a variety of ways. Linehan had no creativity and Zeke still put up those receiving numbers. Hell, from the time cooper got here he was pacing for as many catches as McCaffrey, who lead the league in the category. Give him a full year with Kellen Moore and you’ll realize you’re probably wrong with this take. If you don’t want to pay him as much as Gurley, fine. But that’s just not the reason.

You're looking at superficial data without delving beneath the surface to figure out what's actually taking place. 90% of his targets were dump offs. You can tell by the depth at which those targets took place on the field.  When it comes to routes Zeke rarely runs anything other than a wheel route. For some reason he doesn't even run angle routes out of the backfield like what Rod Smith scored on a couple years ago against the Giants. Guys like Gurley, Bell, and Kamara are actually incorporated into the passing attack at a level far beyond anything Zeke has been asked to do. Maybe you're right and his lack of versatility is a function of our mundane offense, but when it comes to negotiating a contract he doesn't have any leverage in this area. And if I were betting man I'd say Zeke's body type is going to make it difficult to be a plus factor in our passing game like what those RBs have exhibited time and time again. 

Noooooooo fuck you schefter. Need a few games without him to discover if Garrett can actually join the 21st century if he doesn't have his binky in the backfield. 

Who am I kidding. It's the Jones. Of course they're gonna fuck this up, pay 15 mil to a running back, and in 2 years the defense will be so bad it'll be 2010-2013 all over again. 

1 hour ago, Patrick Bateman said:

I would take a look at this guy for backup QB.  Better than either of our options.

Bad wing.

I’d rather have Brian Hoyer, who the Pats just released. I think he’s the perfect 1-2 game fill in backup that would be good for the qb room and all that shit. It’ll never happen though

Edited by youdunnf'dup

12 minutes ago, youdunnf'dup said:

I’d rather have Brian Hoyer, who the Pats just released. I think he’s the perfect 1-2 game fill in backup that would be good for the qb room and all that shit. It’ll never happen though

Jones fits some of the zone concepts we do better in our running game and also has better upside.  Hoyer would have been a good backup for Romo.

We should look at this guy too: