Dallas Cowboys 2019 Season Thread -- Aaaah Zeke Out?

Patrick Bateman

1 hour ago, youdunnf'dup said:

I was afraid of our defense regressing for a number of different reasons. Our LB play (outside of injuries) was literally the last thing I would’ve guessed. 

I kind of figured that our LB core would be a strength.  I hope in the off season, unless against all odds they lift the Lombardi Trophy, that here is a complete cleansing of the coaching staff.  I want zero holdovers down to the fucking training staff.  I do not want a single person infected with Jerry Jones disease to be on the staff.  Maybe they can catch magic in a bottle for one year before JJ's disease infects them too.

From the perspective of a Vikings DE. Laughing at how much of a joke we are. This was after the dumb ass run play calls when we had 2nd and 2 and looking to win the game.

“After the play, [Frederick] was like, ‘What are we doing here!? Why are you running this!?’” Odenigbo said with a laugh. “And I’m just celebrating. And saying, ‘Ha, ha.’ And he’s just yelling, ‘Why are we doing this!?’ Ah man, it was just a great feeling.”

http://m.startribune.com/even-without-linval-joseph-vikings-run-defense-will-be-major-test-for-broncos/564875462/

Still, for all our complaints, winning this lousy division is still doable.

If we draw the Lions without Stafford, that should be a win. Balance that with a loss to the Patriots and we're 6-5. We still have another game with the Deadskins, so call it 7-5. That leaves four games that decide our fate: Buffalo, @ Chicago, the Rams and @ Philly. Going 3-1 gets us to 10-6 and probably wins the division. Going 2-2 gets us to 9-7 and could still win the division.

It's not how we wanted this to work, but a playoff game or two is still a possibility.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Tired Horn said:

If we draw the Lions without Stafford, that should be a win. Balance that with a loss to the Patriots and we're 6-5. We still have another game with the Deadskins, so call it 7-5. That leaves four games that decide our fate: Buffalo, @ Chicago, the Rams and @ Philly. Going 3-1 gets us to 10-6 and probably wins the division. Going 2-2 gets us to 9-7 and could still win the division.

It's not how we wanted this to work, but a playoff game or two is still a possibility.

Have you learned nothing over the last 20 years?

22 minutes ago, Tired Horn said:

Who gives a shit if the division is still doable. Obviously I’m going to get baited into buying in it we make the postseason, but even if we do, who gives a shit. This team is one and done if they face Seattle/SF, and even if they get matched up with Minnesota and get them back, do you really expect this team to go to NO, GB, or Seattle/SF and win another playoff game? Of course not. 

It would almost be better longterm if we just collapsed down the stretch, so we can clean house. I bet Garrett comes back if we win the division, even if we’re one and done. 

Edited by youdunnf'dup

1 minute ago, youdunnf'dup said:

Who gives a shit if the division is still doable. Obviously I’m going to get baited into buying in it we make the postseason, but even if we do, who gives a shit. This team is one and done if they face Seattle/SF, and even if they get matched up with Minnesota and get them back, do you really expect this team to go to NO, GB, or Seattle/SF and win another playoff game? Of course not. 

I didn't call it a great accomplishment or something to "buy into" with enthusiasm. I called our division lousy and noted that even winning the division at this point isn't going to be the kind of season fans wanted. Just gaming out the schedule and noting that a playoff appearance is still possible. If so, a wildcard game win is probably the upside limit.

40 minutes ago, Tired Horn said:

Winning a shit ass division means little. This year was actually doing something. All the pieces were in place. No excuses at all. Every single team worth a damn we have gotten down big and looked like shit to start and lost. Our best win is an average at best Eagles team. We have shown so far we can't do shit against the good teams.

Our ceiling still is winning a wild card game and that's it. Capturing that Vikings win would have went a long way to show we have recovered from that 3 game losing streak and back on track. But in Cowboys fashion, we fuck it up. Garrett is done here. He will be fired after this year and so will Rod. Both are fucking horrible.

Winning the division is going to be a lot harder than you think. They're tied right now and if you compare schedules the eagles have

Patriots home

Seahawks home

Then

Dolphins

Giants twice

Redskins

Cowboys

Let's say they split the next two at home. That puts them at 6-5 with 5 very winnable games left. They probably don't lose to dolphins Giants or Redskins so even if they lose the cowboys game that's a 10-6 record. 

Cowboys have 

Lions home

Patriots road

Then 

Bills 

Bears

Rams

Eagles

Redskins

Let's say they split the next two to go 6-5. That means they still need to win 4 of the last 5 including having to beat the eagles again on the road just to hope to match the eagles at 10-6. 

After seeing how horribly coached this team is how likely are they to run through the Lions, Patriots, bills, bears on road in winter, and Rams only losing 2 max? While also having to beat eagles on road? 

This Lions game is must win and even then if eagles manage to bear both the pats and Seahawks at home it's over. 

Edited by Junior Miller
  • Like 1

On ‎11‎/‎13‎/‎2019 at 12:28 AM, Patrick Bateman said:

XSF rated out worse than Connor last year by PFF and Connor's gotten better since.  There's no doubt CW is the weakest link on the OL (although Frederick is probably 2nd now which is a shame), but it's revisionist history to think XSF is some sort of under appreciated stalwart.  He should be an okay next man up, but....

This.  I think guys just see the Connor is the worst OL on the Cowboys, and think that means he's the worst OG in the league(much like people think Heath is the worst Safety in the league, when he's probably no worst than middle of the pack towards bottom 3rd)

People seem to think XSF was good last year when he was only good for a couple of games then regressed while Connor got better.

7 hours ago, Vic Mackey said:

From the perspective of a Vikings DE. Laughing at how much of a joke we are. This was after the dumb ass run play calls when we had 2nd and 2 and looking to win the game.

“After the play, [Frederick] was like, ‘What are we doing here!? Why are you running this!?’” Odenigbo said with a laugh. “And I’m just celebrating. And saying, ‘Ha, ha.’ And he’s just yelling, ‘Why are we doing this!?’ Ah man, it was just a great feeling.”

http://m.startribune.com/even-without-linval-joseph-vikings-run-defense-will-be-major-test-for-broncos/564875462/

Even the fucking players know what a god damn joke that series of plays was.

3 hours ago, Tired Horn said:

Yep. But like others have said, that's not what this year is about.

Personally I would LOVE to win the division and be the first back to back East winner in like 15 years or so...because I know they'll get bounced early(wouldn't even be favored at home in the Wild Card IMO), and that still means Garrett is gone.

Plus that means the fucking Eagles are sitting at home.

3 hours ago, Junior Miller said:

Winning the division is going to be a lot harder than you think. They're tied right now and if you compare schedules the eagles have

Patriots home

Seahawks home

Then

Dolphins

Giants twice

Redskins

Cowboys

Let's say they split the next two at home. That puts them at 6-5 with 5 very winnable games left. They probably don't lose to dolphins Giants or Redskins so even if they lose the cowboys game that's a 10-6 record. 

Cowboys have 

Lions home

Patriots road

Then 

Bills 

Bears

Rams

Eagles

Redskins

Let's say they split the next two to go 6-5. That means they still need to win 4 of the last 5 including having to beat the eagles again on the road just to hope to match the eagles at 10-6. 

After seeing how horribly coached this team is how likely are they to run through the Lions, Patriots, bills, bears on road in winter, and Rams only losing 2 max? While also having to beat eagles on road? 

This Lions game is must win and even then if eagles manage to bear both the pats and Seahawks at home it's over. 

I understand your logic, but I don't have any more faith in the Eagles than most people have in the Cowboys. The Eagles so far look to have a few more significant flaws than we do. SO they can blow winnable games, too.

I would agree, however, that the Lions are a must win. The Lions aren't that good even with Stafford. Lose that one and we're sure as hell not going 5-1 the rest of the way.

Edited by Tired Horn
Correct error.
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Tired Horn said:

I understand your logic, but I don't have any more faith in the Eagles than most people have in the Cowboys. The Eagles so far look to have a few more significant flaws than we do. SO they can blow winnable games, too.

I would agree, however, that the Lions are a must win. The Lions aren't that good even with Stafford. Lose that one and we're sure as hell not going 5-1 the rest of the way.

I have a feeling Orlando scandrick and his rant on undisputed might have galvanized that locker room and woke them up a little bit. We’re probably going to have to go 5-2 down the stretch to win the division. Both teams are probably going to lose to the pats, and they have the Seahawks at home. I don’t know what would happen if we split with them and we both end up at 10-6 or 9-7. I forget what the next tiebreaker is. Again though, it don’t make a shit. I just have a funny feeling that Garrett will be back if we sneak into the playoffs. 

The stats Bob was throwing out this morning about how far Zeke has fallen off were incredible. QB Lamar Jackson has 7 times as many 20 yd runs this season as Zeke. Hell, Pittsburgh's 3rd string QB has the same amount as Zeke. 

To think he's still over a year away from even beginning that stupid ass contract they gave him. I knew from the moment he held out it was stupid to give him a contract but even I didn't think he'd fall off to mediocre this fast. 

39 minutes ago, Junior Miller said:

The stats Bob was throwing out this morning about how far Zeke has fallen off were incredible. QB Lamar Jackson has 7 times as many 20 yd runs this season as Zeke. Hell, Pittsburgh's 3rd string QB has the same amount as Zeke. 

To think he's still over a year away from even beginning that stupid ass contract they gave him. I knew from the moment he held out it was stupid to give him a contract but even I didn't think he'd fall off to mediocre this fast. 

jerry was talking tough about being dug-in and willing to go into the season without him.  and then he just caves like a bitch and fucks our salary cap to a goddamn running back whose best days are already behind him.  one of jerry’s worst moves ever, up there with joey galloway and mojo roy williams. 

9 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

The article has been going around comparing Garrett's long standing tenure but without getting anywhere near close to a SB win.  He's basically Marvin Lewis except Lewis had a well known miserly owner.

he's an 8-8/9-7 coach and proves it every year. he will win a playoff game every once in a while.  Jerry is good with that.  he doesn't care about winning a super bowl anymore.  the business is good.

He’s an average coach. You have to have overwhelming talent to win with an average coach and we don’t have that. We have good talent, but not overwhelming/great talent. Obviously jerruh likes Garrett, but I know he’s afraid that the next coach is going to be worse. And he very well might be. But after a certain point you have to risk it for the biscuit. You know you have an average coach. You have to try to get a good coach. Or at the very least, a fucking above average head coach. 

2 minutes ago, Loch Ness Monster said:

Our defense sucks.

Dak gonna get paid 35+ million a year. Guess I'm fine with that because he's a good to very good starting QB.

Will probably lose Byron Jones or Amari Cooper though. 

Not gonna lose Amari.  Will most certainly lose Byron unless they can convince him to take around $10mm/yr 

Even if they franchise tag Dak they can Tender Amari I’ve read. Meaning they tender him with a first round pick, let some other team offer him a contract then either match it and get him for the actual market rate(and not what Dallas will just make up) or they’ll let him sign and get a first round pick. Not worried about Dak or Amari going anywhere with having options with both.

I have issues with someone saying Dak is just a good to very good starting QB. I think it’s very clear he’s a very good to borderline elected starter now.

Also I suspect the Pats offense will consist of nothing but screens, quick slants, and inside/outside runs. They’ll never get close to Brady because they’ll Never run routes long enough for him to get pressured imo.

I think this is a game that Bill will scheme the fuck out of tbt defense too to take away Dak and NOT Zeke and will probably be one of Daks worst games.

But honestly, other than Lamar, dak might be playing the best of any QB the Pats have faced all year(Mahomes has struggled at times but he and Lamar are it).

• Like 1

Good points, Drew.

Brady's strength--and sometimes weakness--is he rarely holds the ball longer than 2 seconds. Against some defenses, that results in stalled drives and inefficient YPA, but the way our defense reads and tackles ... ugh, it could get ugly, like James White and Sony Michel out of the backfield for daaaaaaaaaysssss.

Cowboys D is definitely not very gestalt.

NE can be run on. I think Philly would’ve had a little more success if Howard was healthy. Chubb was good against them, Ingram was good against them. But it probably won’t matter. We couldn’t run against the Lions, so something is going on with our run game. Even though they can be run on, I highly doubt we snap out of it against them. 

Garrett seriously looks miserable and completely uninterested everytime the camera catches him during a game. I've literally never seen him say a word in the headset. Does he do anything other than clap? If he's miserable and he knows everybody hates him why not just retire or move the fuck on? I know none of this matters, I just hate him so god damned much.

1 minute ago, 'stache said:

Garrett seriously looks miserable and completely uninterested everytime the camera catches him during a game. I've literally never seen him say a word in the headset. Does he do anything other than clap? If he's miserable and he knows everybody hates him why not just retire or move the fuck on? I know none of this matters, I just hate him so god damned much.

I do think the players really like him. He seems like a likable guy in general. Or at least he seemed like he was on the all or nothing documentary. He’s just too stubborn. I think he’s actually capable of making adjustments. He just believes what he originally thought was going to work will work as long as we “execute”. He’s too stubborn to have the thought in the middle of the game “you know what, I should probably scrap my original plan, and adjust to what they’re doing. Because this isn’t working.” And I feel like every coach except for maybe Kellen Moore feeds into that bullshit.  

6 minutes ago, youdunnf'dup said:

I do think the players really like him. He seems like a likable guy in general. Or at least he seemed like he was on the all or nothing documentary. He’s just too stubborn. I think he’s actually capable of making adjustments. He just believes what he originally thought was going to work will work as long as we “execute”. He’s too stubborn to have the thought in the middle of the game “you know what, I should probably scrap my original plan, and adjust to what they’re doing. Because this isn’t working.” And I feel like every coach except for maybe Kellen Moore feeds into that bullshit.  

Is it stubborn or prideful? My read is the latter. He doesn't seem particularly original or flexible, but as you said, he's definitely a "players' coach" and the athletes seem to like him.

Best quality a coach can have, imo, is the ability to recognize the strengths and weaknesses of one's roster and scheme accordingly. Put the players in positions to succeed rather than fail. Belicheck is a master at this; Garrett and whoever is responsible for the defense aren't even adequate.

Damn. He’s a blowhard, but he’s one of the few that was openly critical of the coaching staff and some of the recent drafting. I really enjoyed him on the draft show, especially. I’m sure they can find someone to do his job better, and I may be in the minority, but i kinda appreciated what he brought to the table (as opposed to the sunshine pumping of Mickey, rob phillips, and some of the other guys)

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Bruh Man said:

With the exception of a handful of years, Cowboys defense has sucked for two decades. 

Name the handful of years. I can't remember one season where this defense was worth a damn, especially when it counted. They have a handful of good games and stretches inside a season but overall, they suck. Especially when it comes to making plays and turnovers for this offense. Our offense consistently has to drive the length of the field because our defense sucks. They rarely get any turnovers or force a quick 3 and out. Even when we do force a team to punt, we allowed them to drive the ball and so when they do punt, they pin us deep.

Giving up over 500 yards to the Giants offense should have been the extreme red flag to start this season. This followed that god awful Rams playoff game. So many scoffed because we won comfortably and the Giants didn't score that much and people passed it off as garbage yards. Hell the Dolphins moved the ball with ease in the 1st half. Sam Darnold coming off mono torched us and then trashed us in public saying our defense is so simplistic and easy to decipher.

This defense shows flashes every blue moon but are consistent at all. We have ruined so much talent on the offense because of that side of the ball. Throw special teams in there as well. They never do shit either.

10 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:

Name the handful of years. I can't remember one season where this defense was worth a damn, especially when it counted. They have a handful of good games and stretches inside a season but overall, they suck. Especially when it comes to making plays and turnovers for this offense. Our offense consistently has to drive the length of the field because our defense sucks. They rarely get any turnovers or force a quick 3 and out. Even when we do force a team to punt, we allowed them to drive the ball and so when they do punt, they pin us deep.

Giving up over 500 yards to the Giants offense should have been the extreme red flag to start this season. This followed that god awful Rams playoff game. So many scoffed because we won comfortably and the Giants didn't score that much and people passed it off as garbage yards. Hell the Dolphins moved the ball with ease in the 1st half. Sam Darnold coming off mono torched us and then trashed us in public saying our defense is so simplistic and easy to decipher.

This defense shows flashes every blue moon but are consistent at all. We have ruined so much talent on the offense because of that side of the ball. Throw special teams in there as well. They never do shit either.

Off the top of my head '03, '09 we had defenses we could lean. We haven't had a ball-hawking defense since Parcells last year. 

I sat in the EZ of that Rams game, it was demoralizing seeing our alignments and predicting the runs that were coming up the middle.

I swear Cowboys fans in general spend 80% of their time discussing the offense when 80% of the problem is the defense. It's what held Romo back and it's happening again with Dak. 

Alright so we probably need to go 3-3 down the stretch, including beating Philly, to get into the playoffs.

Assuming next week @NE is a loss, and the final game against WAS is a win, in addition to beating Philly we need to win one of BUF, @CHI, or LAR. That seems pretty doable. Chicago ain't anything special, and we have the other two at home. I'm feeling optimistic for the time being.

Of course, that probably means we'll trip all over our dicks somehow. Losing to the Eagles would fuck everything up for sure.