Dallas Cowboys 2019 Season Thread -- Aaaah Zeke Out?

Patrick Bateman

Jones should just give Garrett some kind of bullshit title (Sr. VP of Clapping, maybe), say he's being moved upstairs, and then bring in a real coach while we have the talent. Jones has to figure that even a great coach will need a year to get them SB ready, so, just to be safe, Garrett has to go this year, because not moving him out all but guarantees another two years of no SB. Jones ain't going to live forever. This is it for Clappy. Do or die.

New coach wont matter much, jerry hired Jason's staff, not saying ginger isnt to blame, but Jerry literally hired the staff, then hired Jason. Jerry really going to do what the rest of the league does when you let a head coach go? Or is he going to pick and chose the coaches he likes? I guarantee that special teams coach was more Jerry's doing than Jason, all of the coaches. Jerry standing there after the game talking about the Patriots, well the Patriots are the Patriots because they refuse to do things the way Jerry does.

46 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:

Dallas' biggest issue is still Jason Garrett and Marinelli and of course how Jerry runs the team. But it seems so often, Dallas gets the wrong end of these fucking calls. Go back to the Skins game last year where the long snapper got called for some obscure call that is rarely ever called and then we lose. The call in the GB playoff game where it had to do something with the huddle and ruined that drive. When is Dallas ever on the right end of these kind of calls. Seems these obscure calls where you have to go down into the rulebook happen against Dallas to garner controversy like you said, WWF style.

Maybe if you're going to declare war and try to take out the one guy who rules the league and to whom every official ultimately answers you'd 100 percent better not fucking miss. 

1 minute ago, Dewey said:

New coach wont matter much, jerry hired Jason's staff, not saying ginger isnt to blame, but Jerry literally hired the staff, then hired Jason.

chris pratt what GIF

Garrett was the first guy on that staff he hired. Literally before he even hired the head coach. Basically told any potential head coaching candidate this is the guy who will back stab you and get your run out if you don't win like a mother fucker immediately and keep winning. 

24 minutes ago, Dewey said:

New coach wont matter much, jerry hired Jason's staff, not saying ginger isnt to blame, but Jerry literally hired the staff, then hired Jason. Jerry really going to do what the rest of the league does when you let a head coach go? Or is he going to pick and chose the coaches he likes? I guarantee that special teams coach was more Jerry's doing than Jason, all of the coaches. Jerry standing there after the game talking about the Patriots, well the Patriots are the Patriots because they refuse to do things the way Jerry does.

Let's discuss the new coach and how he would've changed the outcome of yesterday's game:

1. The block punt that led to the only TD(essentially a game winner).  Competent head coach would've fired the special teams coach multiple games ago given what a cluster fuck of a situation it has been all year.

2. Multiple opportunities to go for it on 4th down in their territory when it was clear the game was going to be tight.  Settling for attempting fgs constantly, especially when our field goal kicker is a walking talking 20 week aborted fetus, is a loser mentality. His missed 46 yarder in tandem with the below point makes me ragey

3. Again with the fucking special teams.  the delay of game backed up with illegal motion cost us 30 yards of field position.  They ended up kicking a 42 yard fg on that drive.  

The team and the players are good.  We lose due to coaching.  Every.fn.time.  

1 hour ago, Vic Mackey said:

I'm listening to Norm and they said there was a total of 5 tripping calls this whole entire season league wide. In every single fucking game played. And they called 2 in our game yesterday...Cool.

Norm was a beating this morning when discussing the late tripping call against Frederick and Garrett's decision to kick the FG. The dude will never admit defeat in an argument. He was flat-out wrong on the tripping call and he wouldn't even give the time of day to Donny's argument for kicking the FG. Was it the conservative, passive decision by Red Ball? Definitely. But they did get the ball back and were moving the chains before the bad call on Frederick.

48 minutes ago, Irish Wrist Watch said:

Jones should just give Garrett some kind of bullshit title (Sr. VP of Clapping, maybe), say he's being moved upstairs, and then bring in a real coach while we have the talent. Jones has to figure that even a great coach will need a year to get them SB ready, so, just to be safe, Garrett has to go this year, because not moving him out all but guarantees another two years of no SB. Jones ain't going to live forever. This is it for Clappy. Do or die.

I've kind of wondered if this is where things are heading. Jerry loves Jason.

Jason today on 105.3 said they don't use numbers or any analytics during a game. Lmao. He was asked why they kicked the FG.  And he said "we don't use those numbers during a game". Just what the hell does this staff do? They don't scheme. They don't adjust. They don't study tendencies. Yet every single team figures out our tendencies and exploits them. Bill after the game said his ST coach saw something in how we lined up and played the punt where he could exploit it and block it. Hell they almost blocked the first one. They got to the 2nd one and changed the game. When are we going to get a staff who does this? Rams did this in the playoff game. They knew exactly what we were going to do by how we lined up and they gashed us all game. We never adjusted to that. We never exploit anyone like that. Clown coaching staff. But it all starts with Garrett. They follow his lead. He gives the orders. He doesn't require any of them study film to that degree. They have one single gameplan on both sides and that is final. They will never adjust in the game to what is happening. None.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Dewey said:

Use to drink a lot, but I remember Jerry having his DC and OC in place before naming a head coach, including other coaches.  Regardless, as long as Jerry is running the show.

Not really.  You may be mixing up Wade and Jason.  Jason certainly isn't one of the more powerful HC's out there with organizational influence, but he's influenced many decisions including taking away Callahan's play calling and hiring Linehan.  Moving to a 4-3 from 3-4 even though we didn't really have the optimal personnel for.  He got most of his offensive positional coaches he wanted, most of whom suck.  I think he gets most of what he wants from a staff perspective, maybe not everything, but most.

1 hour ago, Dewey said:

Jones may have gotten away with that in the past, when he was a cheap sonofabitch hiring desperate wannabes, but no self-respecting top tier HC is going to come here under those conditions. Nobody. And if Jerry starts looking for a coach, this time he'll be looking to hire the best money can buy. We're not gonna see any Dave Campos or Chan Gaileys trying to win a Super  Bowl. Jones doesn't have that long to live. And I don't think he's interested in being turned down by his top choice - which would turn that job into day old bread (sort of).

Edited by Irish Wrist Watch

1 hour ago, dcar00 said:

OK but who in the NFC are we going to beat?

You didn't see GB last night? Or Seattle, who did everything they could to give the game away to the Eagles.  They can beat Minny and the Saints too.  Yes they lost to them, but none of those games had us thinking they couldn't beat them.

I wouldn't bet on them at all to win any game in the playoffs, but they could beat at least 1 team at home before losing in the 2nd round again.

It's crazy how one game changes the narrative so much. If the Cowboys hadn't inexplicably laid that egg in New York, they'd be sitting at 7-4, two games clear in the division, and with their losses all being to solid-or-better playoff teams. That remains one of the most mystifying single football games I think I've witnessed.

They have six wins out of 11 games this season and not one of the wins came against a team at or above .500. 4 of the wins came against 2 win teams, 1 against a 3 win team, and the lone good win on the season against a 5-6 eagles team. That's not a recipe for playoff success. 

I have no idea why the Cowboys are a seven-point favored over the bills who are in 8 - 3 team. 

If we beat the Bills, we can win out. Not that impressed with the Rams or any of the fiver remaining opponents.

Stephen A Smith said that an average coach could have done more with this team than Garrett and that he has to go right now. and "I know my friend Jerry Jones is watching this show" or something like that. And that they've played four playoff caliber teams and lost to them all.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/team/_/name/dal/dallas-cowboys

Edited by Irish Wrist Watch

24 minutes ago, Junior Miller said:

They have six wins out of 11 games this season and not one of the wins came against a team at or above .500. 4 of the wins came against 2 win teams, 1 against a 3 win team, and the lone good win on the season against a 5-6 eagles team. That's not a recipe for playoff success. 

I have no idea why the Cowboys are a seven-point favored over the bills who are in 8 - 3 team. 

I feel if you’ve actually watched most of the games, Dallas has yet to be blown out by anyone outside of the Jets. They clearly had multiple opportunities to win a game against arguably the best team in the NFL yesterday. 

The sky isn’t falling and Dallas at least has a shot against any NFC team outside San Francisco. Dallas got fucked over by some bad officiating. Cowboys were supposed to lose that game anyways. 

Who gives a fuck? We just have to win the division and see what happens in the postseason. 

2 minutes ago, Blanton said:

I feel if you’ve actually watched most of the games, Dallas has yet to be blown out by anyone outside of the Jets. They clearly had multiple opportunities to win a game against arguably the best team in the NFL yesterday. 

The sky isn’t falling and Dallas at least has a shot against any NFC team outside San Francisco. Dallas got fucked over by some bad officiating. Cowboys were supposed to lose that game anyways. 

Who gives a fuck? We just have to win the division and see what happens in the postseason. 

Are you under the impression that NFL teams routinely get blown out? Even the shitty 3-7-1 Lions have had a lead in every game they've played this year.

It's especially egregious given the talent and depth the cowboys have and a QB playing at an MVP contender level. They should t be losing close games with stupid mistakes. They should be 9-2 at worst with competent coaching against this soft shit schedule. 

Hate to break it to you but there's no sub .500 teams in the playoffs. Not this year. 

2 hours ago, babysdaddy said:

Let's discuss the new coach and how he would've changed the outcome of yesterday's game:

1. The block punt that led to the only TD(essentially a game winner).  Competent head coach would've fired the special teams coach multiple games ago given what a cluster fuck of a situation it has been all year.

2. Multiple opportunities to go for it on 4th down in their territory when it was clear the game was going to be tight.  Settling for attempting fgs constantly, especially when our field goal kicker is a walking talking 20 week aborted fetus, is a loser mentality. His missed 46 yarder in tandem with the below point makes me ragey

3. Again with the fucking special teams.  the delay of game backed up with illegal motion cost us 30 yards of field position.  They ended up kicking a 42 yard fg on that drive.  

The team and the players are good.  We lose due to coaching.  Every.fn.time.  

And you forgot the shittiest special teams play of all. The last kick off by New England where we put our returner on the goal line and let the ball bouce around for 20 yards. That resulted in us needing 92 yards against the #1 ranked D

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Drew said:

You didn't see GB last night? Or Seattle, who did everything they could to give the game away to the Eagles.  They can beat Minny and the Saints too.  Yes they lost to them, but none of those games had us thinking they couldn't beat them.

I wouldn't bet on them at all to win any game in the playoffs, but they could beat at least 1 team at home before losing in the 2nd round again.

actually no I don't think they can beat a single one of them.  Garrett is still our head coach against Minn and NO(with Brees)coaches.  Rogers is still Rogers, Seattle - ok maaaybee.

both sides of the ball have played well in 2 games this year.  and ST is a disaster which is where I think Seattle/Carroll would beat us.

9 minutes ago, FloridaHorn said:

And you forgot the shittiest special teams play of all. The last kick off by New England where we put our returner on the goal line and let the ball bouce around for 20 yards. That resulted in us needing 92 yards against the #1 ranked D

How could I forget that!  How about every kickoff being a shitshow and not learning from the first one that their strategy was to kick it high and short given it was wet and windy.  Who is our special teams coach?  That guy should be demoted or fired today.

27 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

actually no I don't think they can beat a single one of them.  Garrett is still our head coach against Minn and NO(with Brees)coaches.  Rogers is still Rogers, Seattle - ok maaaybee.

both sides of the ball have played well in 2 games this year.  and ST is a disaster which is where I think Seattle/Carroll would beat us.

I mean they did just beat Seattle in a playoff game last year with basically the same personnel on both sides...the Cowboys actually have better personnel at a few positions.

I'm not saying the WOULD beat any of them, I'm saying they can, and have done it.  Yes their coaching is leaps and bounds better than ours, but that hasn't stopped them from getting a playoff win before under Garrett.  That's all I'm saying.

And of course, I don't think they'd get any further than the divisional round.

46 minutes ago, Drew said:

I mean they did just beat Seattle in a playoff game last year with basically the same personnel on both sides...the Cowboys actually have better personnel at a few positions.

I'm not saying the WOULD beat any of them, I'm saying they can, and have done it.  Yes their coaching is leaps and bounds better than ours, but that hasn't stopped them from getting a playoff win before under Garrett.  That's all I'm saying.

And of course, I don't think they'd get any further than the divisional round.

Seattle would argue they're better too with Clowney and DK Metcalf in particular.

47 minutes ago, Drew said:

That's fair.  Both teams improved since last year.  Of course we got the coaching disadvantage.  I'd bet on them to lose.  But can they win? Of course.

Improved? I wouldn't call this crap improvement. Dak is better but just about everything else is worse. The defense is performing far worse with mostly the same personnel. Special teams is a disaster and last year was mostly average. Zeke already looks washed up and the OL looks worse. 

Jesus man, this isn't hard.  The roster is improved.  The Defense is the same as it was last year, with better pass rushers.  Cobb is an improvement.  La'el Collins and Gallup have improved.  Dak is playing at an elite level(and the biggest improvement).

ST's were horrible last year, just more pronounced this year.  You are taking this way too literal.  The fact is the Cowboys have not looked overmatched in any game other than on the coaching side.  They have not been blown out, they haven't quit.  They can beat just about any team they play, but lose due to shit like play calling and game management.

I have no doubt that they could beat their first round opponent, but will not do anything more than that.  And I've been CLEAR that I wouldn't bet on them winning that Wild Card game either.  Stop with the over reactionary BS. They had shit coaching last year and won a playoff game.  It's not out of the realm of possibility they could do it again. That's it.

yes its the NFL.  anyone can beat anyone on a given day.  see Dallas Jets.

I guess I should say that I believe Dallas would be a dog to every team at a neutral site. at home they might get a push or slightly favored with Seattle.

with this coaching staff and you put a gun to my head, I would have to pick them to lose.

Dallas Cowboys fans are surely frustrated after a tripping penalty derailed their team's final realistic chance during Sunday's 13-9 loss at the New England Patriots, and hearing the NFL admit it was a mistake probably won't help them feel better.

Yet, the league did exactly that Monday.

Clarence Hill Jr. of the Fort Worth Star-Telegram reported the league told the Cowboys that the tripping penalties called against them in Sunday's game should not have been enforced. The one called against Travis Frederick on Dallas' final drive (not counting a desperation play with one second remaining) stands out, as it nullified a third-down conversion by Ezekiel Elliott.

Oops, we're sorry... the NFL

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Drew said:

Jesus man, this isn't hard.  The roster is improved.  The Defense is the same as it was last year, with better pass rushers.  Cobb is an improvement.  La'el Collins and Gallup have improved.  Dak is playing at an elite level(and the biggest improvement).

ST's were horrible last year, just more pronounced this year.  You are taking this way too literal.  The fact is the Cowboys have not looked overmatched in any game other than on the coaching side.  They have not been blown out, they haven't quit.  They can beat just about any team they play, but lose due to shit like play calling and game management.

I have no doubt that they could beat their first round opponent, but will not do anything more than that.  And I've been CLEAR that I wouldn't bet on them winning that Wild Card game either.  Stop with the over reactionary BS. They had shit coaching last year and won a playoff game.  It's not out of the realm of possibility they could do it again. That's it.

You're talking about on paper. On paper doesn't mean shit once the sweat and blood start flowing. Last year's team as a whole was better than this year's team because the defense was a lot better, OL was better, RB was better. 

Dak has improved a lot but he can't do it by himself. Garrett's coaching sucks, the linebackers are atrocious, and the defense gets run on by weak running teams. They haven't beaten anyone but garbage. It should be a great team on paper but in reality it's a bad team who can't win unless the other team sucks. 

Watching this Ravens game, imagine if we had a staff that actually creates an offense catered to their QB. Instead of forcing him into the same stale bullshit Garrett implemented in 2007 with Romo. Dak has the ability to use his legs. Teams have to respect that. Ravens have TEs running down the seams. They are keeping defenses off balance and guessing. Where as defenses know EXACTLY what we will do. Hell us fans know what we will do before its snapped. They are actually innovative. Not running all curls every play and outs every time. And throwing Witten the ball to pad his stats. Dak has had to play with this clown staff and stale bullshit.

• Like 1

Who is responsible for the Cowboys performance? 

If the answer is JG, then why is he still coach, and how did he coach this long ?

His hiring and tenure is JJ, no one else. He has allowed it to happen.

All of the media attention on Garrett is bullshit, since JJ hired him as whipping boy, nothing else.

Its all theater , no substance, WWF/ WWE style, but on a gridiron. People who look for W/ L as if that’s the goal are fooling themselves,

except for a small handful of owners that actually want to win. Garrett is just an inept idiot, JJ is the real culprit. Caring about this

team is optional, there are a lot of masochists out there however.

Edited by El Squared

Watching this Ravens game, imagine if we had a staff that actually creates an offense catered to their QB. Instead of forcing him into the same stale bullshit Garrett implemented in 2007 with Romo. Dak has the ability to use his legs. Teams have to respect that. Ravens have TEs running down the seams. They are keeping defenses off balance and guessing. Where as defenses know EXACTLY what we will do. Hell us fans know what we will do before its snapped. They are actually innovative. Not running all curls every play and outs every time. And throwing Witten the ball to pad his stats. Dak has had to play with this clown staff and stale bullshit.

Ill give you the routes...but dak is the one not using his legs. How many times have you seen dak keep it on the read option...i want to say 0

Did it a few times against pats, de crashes toward zeke and dak never pulls it to run

That play were dak throws it out of bounds to te in the endzone. Why didnt he just run was just him and a dt on the edge? Dak has plenty of opportunity to use his legs but refuses to on most chances

I don't think Garrett has a problem with players or locker room and that's evident by the fact these players have never quit on him even though he's consistently put them in shit situations and has given them reasons to quit on him. That's his best attribute as a coach. I guess Dez thinks the coach should be acting like a young black kid and speaking on his level but that would be idiotic. Garrett is such a shitty game day coach that there aren't reasons to criticize him for the few things about coaching he's actually great at doing. 

23 minutes ago, Bone3421 said:

Ill give you the routes...but dak is the one not using his legs. How many times have you seen dak keep it on the read option...i want to say 0

Did it a few times against pats, de crashes toward zeke and dak never pulls it to run

That play were dak throws it out of bounds to te in the endzone. Why didnt he just run was just him and a dt on the edge? Dak has plenty of opportunity to use his legs but refuses to on most chances

Dak didn't all of a sudden stop wanting to run. The coaches wanted him to scale that back. We used to utilize his legs quite a bit. You don't become timid to run like that on your own overnight when that has always been his game.

But where are the plays designed to utilize his legs and give him a run pass option? Not to run a constant read zone option offense but have created Dak into a straight drop pass QB. That isn't him. He works best when he's making quick reads and has the ability to use his legs.

• Like 2