Dallas Cowboys 2019 Season Thread -- Aaaah Zeke Out?

Patrick Bateman

On 11/30/2019 at 3:02 PM, michaelpshayes said:

it was stupid to commit all those resources to those positions in the first place, this ain't 1992 as much as that gotch eyed hillbilly wishes it was 

This is correct, and I've been saying it for a long time. The Cowboys aren't good at developing O-line prospects, so they have to keep spending early draft picks on them. You look at the good teams today they don't have so much invested, lots of late rounders and JAGs that just fit what they do, but their entire offense doesn't completely collapse when one guy gets a hangnail,  like it does with the Cowboys. The better teams have a scheme that doesn't require total domination by their O-line, they just create space in other ways and get rid of the ball quickly.

The great Cowboys teams of the 90s had the best offensive line, but not a single first round pick in the bunch. They knew how to find good linemen and develop them. Stepnoski was a 3rd round pick, Larry Allen came later as a second round pick. The rest were late picks and free agents, even converts from scrub d-line to all pro left tackle Mark Tuinei.

The Cowboys of today just aren't creative or innovative or ahead of the curve, they can't game plan, they don't adjust, and don't create new ways to move the ball or stop the other team.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Patrick Bateman said:

Holy fuck the East is a fucking fiery shit bomb.  None of the teams deserve to make the playoffs.  Eagles may not be able to win @ NY in week 17 (although now that I write that, they'll win by 3 TDs).

I’m honestly curious to know if there’s ever been a division this bad, from top to bottom. 2 of the teams will have top 5 picks, and then a 5-7 team and a division leading 6-6 team. I’m not going to check division win percentages from the past, but this has to be in the running for the worst win percentage for a division.

Edited by youdunnf'dup

3 hours ago, DougO said:

This is correct, and I've been saying it for a long time. The Cowboys aren't good at developing O-line prospects, so they have to keep spending early draft picks on them. You look at the good teams today they don't have so much invested, lots of late rounders and JAGs that just fit what they do, but their entire offense doesn't completely collapse when one guy gets a hangnail,  like it does with the Cowboys. The better teams have a scheme that doesn't require total domination by their O-line, they just create space in other ways and get rid of the ball quickly.

The great Cowboys teams of the 90s had the best offensive line, but not a single first round pick in the bunch. They knew how to find good linemen and develop them. Stepnoski was a 3rd round pick, Larry Allen came later as a second round pick. The rest were late picks and free agents, even converts from scrub d-line to all pro left tackle Mark Tuinei.

The Cowboys of today just aren't creative or innovative or ahead of the curve, they can't game plan, they don't adjust, and don't create new ways to move the ball or stop the other team.

and another thing if Jerry wants so bad to bring back 1990s Cowboys he ought to figure out that they had play making safeties and cornerbacks on those super bowl teams that caused turnovers all over the field...(still think James Washington was the MVP in Super Bowl 28) ....the neglect of the safety position for the last 10 years is one of the dumbest things this idiot franchise does ....

1 minute ago, michaelpshayes said:

and another thing if Jerry wants so bad to bring back 1990s Cowboys he ought to figure out that they had play making safeties and cornerbacks on those super bowl teams that caused turnovers all over the field...(still think James Washington was the MVP in Super Bowl 28) ....the neglect of the safety position for the last 10 years is one of the dumbest things this idiot franchise does ....

So much this.  I can't understand for the life of me how high caliber safety play is so underrated around the league in general and particularly in Dallas. It's like Darren Woodson never existed.  

6 minutes ago, anacardo said:

So much this.  I can't understand for the life of me how high caliber safety play is so underrated around the league in general and particularly in Dallas. It's like Darren Woodson never existed.  

Part of it is the positional group value chart they use, part of it is the coaching preferences.  A couple of drafts, we've capitulated to Marinelli and taken defensive lineman, as that's who he wanted.

2 hours ago, youdunnf'dup said:

I’m honestly curious to know if there’s ever been a division this bad, from top to bottom. 2 of the teams will have top 5 picks, and then a 5-7 team and a division leading 6-6 team. I’m not going to check division win percentages from the past, but this has to be in the running for the worst win percentage for a division.

A decade or so ago I know Seattle went to the playoffs as a 7-9 division winner. That had to be an atrocious win percentage division that year. 

If the eagles are really this bad then this is a race to 8-8. Maybe 7-9. 

Afc west was pretty bad the year the Seahawks win it at 8-8. 

A few years back Seattle won the division sub .500 like 7-9 

1 hour ago, michaelpshayes said:

And defensive tackles. You look around the league at the contending teams over the last few years and being pretty stocked up on really good DTs is one thing they tend to have in common.

3 hours ago, youdunnf'dup said:

I think someone won the NFC south one year at 7-9 but I could be wrong.

58 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

Part of it is the positional group value chart they use, part of it is the coaching preferences.  A couple of drafts, we've capitulated to Marinelli and taken defensive lineman, as that's who he wanted.

Its probably a good process if you want to stay at 8-8 or 9-7 and never really crater, assuming you have a QB you can roll with.  In fact that is Jerry in a nutshell. Since the campo disaster its pretty much been his MO.

On 11/30/2019 at 2:45 PM, DougO said:

The problem there was they stopped doing what worked, and are still afraid to commit to the run, even though they have committed the most resources to OL and Rb than any timea in the NFL. That's just a stupidass franchise.

"The opponent is gonna be caught off guard every time we pass, because of the shiny, pretty decoys we bought..."

After getting off to a 1-5 start in 2018, the Raiders decided to trade former top-five draft pick Amari Cooper to the Dallas Cowboys for a first-round draft pick.

The move almost was universally panned initially, as the Raiders appeared to be starting a rebuild by parting with one of the team's most talented young players.

General manager Mike Mayock utilized that pick to select Mississippi State safety Johnathan Abram, who had a promising preseason before suffering a season-ending injury in Week 1.

It now appears that the Cowboys sent a first-round pick to Oakland for a rental of Cooper, as the team reportedly is looking more and more likely to not be re-signing the wide receiver, CBS Sports' Jason La Canfora reports citing a source.

The only way it appears the Cowboys could bring back both Cooper and quarterback Dak Prescott would be if they used the franchise tag on one of them.

With Jerry Jones already facing the prospect of having to shell out a fortune to bring Prescott back to America's team, the chances of Dallas retaining both Prescott and Cooper are slim.

Oakland certainly would have appreciated Cooper's services on Sunday however, as the Raiders were drubbed 40-9 in Kansas City and fell to 6-6 on the season.

https://sports.yahoo.com/amphtml/nfl-rumors-amari-cooper-likely-020303952.html#referrer=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com&amp_tf=From %1%24s

In case you don't want to click that sources link here it is 

While most of the attention around the slumping Cowboys had focused on the future of head coach Jason Garrett, the likelihood of big roster changes for Dallas in 2020 continues to grow as well. Sources said there has been no progress on new deals for a trio of star free agents -- quarterback Dak Prescott, receiver Amari Cooper and corner Byron Jones -- and no talks are anticipated until after the season.

Retaining Prescott remains the primary objective of owner Jerry Jones, but with Prescott's agents playing this out until after the season, and the quarterback compiling career numbers (albeit largely against inferior teams), he is building a case to become the highest-paid quarterback in the game. The scope and magnitude of this deal continues to grow, and the Cowboys will place the franchise tag on him if need be, which is lost on no one involved in any of these negotiations, sources said.

Sources said the only way that Cooper will not hit the market is if the tag is placed on him, but there is obviously only one tag to go around per team. With the receiver market limited by so many top players already signing extensions, and with Prescott set to go from earning less than $5 million in four years to over $33 million a year, the odds of keeping him and Cooper -- without Cooper on the tag -- are slim. The Cowboys and Cooper made no headway the entire offseason, and there is no inclination on his side to do a deal now with free agency so close.

Similarly, there has been no communication between the Cowboys and Jones either, sources said, and no talks are expected. With years of starting experience at safety and corner, Jones, a former first-round pick, is positioned well on the open market and sources said it looks increasingly likely he will be elsewhere in 2020

Best thing for Dallas would be for Zeke to have another off-field incident so they can invoke his contract's morality clause** and release him.

** Don't all NFL contracts include something like that? Such as, if Zeke goes on another bender and starts roughing up security guards, bouncers, or his girlfriend, wouldn't that free up Dallas to cut rope?

Jason La Canfora never knows what the fuck he is talking about. Even if he ends up being right, that’s a blind squirrel finding a nut.

I don’t see any scenario where cooper is gone next year. They’ll pay Dak and franchise tag cooper. If that doesn’t happen, then Jerry really has lost all faith in this roster the way it’s currently constructed. 

Edited by youdunnf'dup
  • Like 1

Article about our next HC - Greg Roman. Mentions the Ravens 41-7 sacking of Houston earlier in the year (the same team that dominated New England on Sunday).

https://www.espn.com/blog/baltimore-ravens/post/_/id/51434/greg-romans-wise-cracking-rise-from-high-school-coach-to-ravens-offensive-guru

If Jones wants to breath new life into the Cowboys... and if he wants to attract stars like Cooper, Roman is the ticket.

Edited by Irish Wrist Watch

21 hours ago, Patrick Bateman said:

LOL!   Keeping Maher.  smh.  The ineptitude is hilarious.

Also, if you're wondering why our offense isn't as productive, here's a good tweet about how interrelated the 3 units are and why 2 of them are letting down the other.

It has been like this for years and years. The the dumb ass simpletons will continue to blame the offense, mainly the QB. This defense is god awful and so is the special teams. When the offense has to drive the length of the field over and over, it is going to crumble at some point. When the fuck is the special teams ever going to make a play? Be it a good KR or PR. Block a kick. Fuck anything. Even if we just had an average defense, this team would be really good.

Also check out how bad this defense is with this:

cowboys.png

21 hours ago, Patrick Bateman said:

LOL!   Keeping Maher.  smh.  The ineptitude is hilarious.

There really and truly aren't many options at this point. The Pats have used four kickers this year -- Kai Forbath was picked up off the street and was terrible on Sun night. They're actually waiting -- and hoping -- to get Nick Folk back before the end of the season. Think about that. Maher is wildly inconsistent but he is a weapon in that he can kick 60+ yard field goals. (Of course he misses the 33-yarders for some reason.)

12 hours ago, Junior Miller said:

Retaining Prescott remains the primary objective of owner Jerry Jones, but with Prescott's agents playing this out until after the season, and the quarterback compiling career numbers (albeit largely against inferior teams), he is building a case to become the highest-paid quarterback in the game. The scope and magnitude of this deal continues to grow, and the Cowboys will place the franchise tag on him if need be, which is lost on no one involved in any of these negotiations, sources said.

Good lord. I'm OK with the Cowboys moving forward with Prescott as the franchise QB but not at the expense of making him the highest-paid QB in the entire fucking league.

1 hour ago, C-Man said:

There really and truly aren't many options at this point. The Pats have used four kickers this year -- Kai Forbath was picked up off the street and was terrible on Sun night. They're actually waiting -- and hoping -- to get Nick Folk back before the end of the season. Think about that. Maher is wildly inconsistent but he is a weapon in that he can kick 60+ yard field goals. (Of course he misses the 33-yarders for some reason.

The fact that they (the Cowboys) didn’t have a preseason competition was just the dumbest fucking thing possible. 

Edited by youdunnf'dup
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Patrick Bateman said:

Riverboat Ron (Rivera) fired.  I'm sure there will be chatter about him taking over here for Garrett.  

If Garrett made the Super Bowl even once in his career, Jerry would have gave him a 30 year extension.

That is the difference between us and other teams. They move on when the time is right. Rivera had not done anything since that Super Bowl appearance. And they moved on. We keep our shitty coach around hoping one day it finally clicks for him. But it never will.

You could give him the Ravens, Chiefs, Niners, etc and he would fuck them up. He is bad. 

To put in perspective how truly horrible Garrett is Sturm mentioned how other teams who have been dreadful lately might look at Garrett's average teams here of mostly going around 8-8 as welcome stability. 

Yeah, until you realize that every single season Garrett was mediocre he had a legit top 15 franchise QB. Some of those top 10. You almost have to try to be so shitty to not be better with nothing but legit starting QB play. 

I think he's one of the worst coaches to ever get 10 years HC experience. May be the worst. 

Edited by Junior Miller
  • Like 1

The NFL is a really weird place right now.  Seems like outside of the Patriots everyone is just hoping to catch lightning in a bottle.  I mean it's too early to tell on the Rams dynasty but look at all the non Patriot recent super bowl teams.  Eagles/Falcons/Panthers.  They've become non factors pretty much immediately afterwards.

It's like it's too easy for the Patriots, but then for everyone else it's too fucking hard.

34 minutes ago, Irish Wrist Watch said:

Bayless has given up. He thinks the Cowboys will lose Thursday and will lose the Division to the Eagles. Said Jones should have fired Red after the Patriot loss to shake things up. Not a happy camper.

And yeah, Jones blew it on Zeke. He's very good, but not that good.

here's a question.  who thinks our record would be different if Pollard had all of Zeke's carries this year?

4 minutes ago, Gene Parmesan said:

The NFL is a really weird place right now.  Seems like outside of the Patriots everyone is just hoping to catch lightning in a bottle.  I mean it's too early to tell on the Rams dynasty but look at all the non Patriot recent super bowl teams.  Eagles/Falcons/Panthers.  They've become non factors pretty much immediately afterwards.

It's like it's too easy for the Patriots, but then for everyone else it's too fucking hard.

I think the Rams "dynasty" is already over.