Dallas Cowboys 2019 Season Thread -- Aaaah Zeke Out?

Patrick Bateman

31 minutes ago, Junior Miller said:

To put in perspective how truly horrible Garrett is Sturm mentioned how other teams who have been dreadful lately might look at Garrett's average teams here of mostly going around 8-8 as welcome stability. 

Yeah, until you realize that every single season Garrett was mediocre he had a legit top 15 franchise QB. Some of those top 10. You almost have to try to be so shitty to not be better with nothing but legit starting QB play. 

I think he's one of the worst coaches to ever get 10 years HC experience. May be the worst. 

and the year Romo got hurt he couldn't win a game without him. Romo came back and they won a game.  that told me all I needed to know and that was 5 years ago.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Gene Parmesan said:

The NFL is a really weird place right now.  Seems like outside of the Patriots everyone is just hoping to catch lightning in a bottle.  I mean it's too early to tell on the Rams dynasty but look at all the non Patriot recent super bowl teams.  Eagles/Falcons/Panthers.  They've become non factors pretty much immediately afterwards.

It's like it's too easy for the Patriots, but then for everyone else it's too fucking hard.

Look at the Steelers this year. I know the AFC is down, but you unexpectedly lose your future HOF qb after one week, your starting rb goes down for multiple weeks, your star WR goes down for multiple weeks, you’ve started Mason Fucking Rudolph and Duck Hodges all year...and you’re sitting at 7-5 currently in the 6th seed of the AFC . Just imagine if that shit happened here. We’d have the number one pick if that played out. 

Hell, to a much lesser extent, same with the colts. They’ve had a similar string of injuries and unexpected shit happen, and they’re sitting at 6-6. Mike Tomlin and Frank Reich are elite coaches IMO. If Philly could have a do-over, I bet they would’ve fired Doug Peterson and promoted Frank Reich the moment he interviewed for the colts job. Their super bowl window closes the moment Reich left.

1 hour ago, dcar00 said:

here's a question.  who thinks our record would be different if Pollard had all of Zeke's carries this year?

Somebody said Zeke only had two carries in the second half last Thursday. Is that true? They're paying him what, almost a million per regular season game? A half a mil per half. So in the second half, he received a quarter of million bucks per carry.

1 hour ago, Irish Wrist Watch said:

Bayless has given up. He thinks the Cowboys will lose Thursday and will lose the Division to the Eagles. Said Jones should have fired Red after the Patriot loss to shake things up. Not a happy camper.

And yeah, Jones blew it on Zeke. He's very good, but not that good.

It's certainly very important to know what Bayless thinks about the matter. While you're at it, what does your family dog think? What about the tree in your front yard? I value those opinions equally to anything SB says or thinks. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, TornACL said:

It's certainly very important to know what Bayless thinks about the matter. While you're at it, what does your family dog think? What about the tree in your front yard? I value those opinions equally to anything SB says or thinks. 

The Dog thinks we'll take the division. I think he's been spending too much time with the tree. He used to know dogshit when he saw it. He asked the other day when TornACL was getting his own sports talk show making a half million a year.

Edited by Irish Wrist Watch

6 hours ago, C-Man said:

Good lord. I'm OK with the Cowboys moving forward with Prescott as the franchise QB but not at the expense of making him the highest-paid QB in the entire fucking league.

dak fucking sucks and he is fucking cancer.  his contract will kill the team.  get ready for another decade of mediocrity and bullshit.   jerry will die without the championship he can call his own, and, doubly dying, shall go down to the vile dust, from whence he sprung, unwept, unhonored, and unsung. 

1 hour ago, dcar00 said:

so Zeke's WAR is 1.0

Edited by futureman

1 hour ago, futureman said:

...get ready for another decade of mediocrity and bullshit.   jerry will die without the championship he can call his own, and, doubly dying, shall go down to the vile dust, from whence he sprung, unwept, unhonored, and unsung. 

This isn't really a threat. I'm a life long Cowboys fan, but this has been my baseline assessment of them looking forward for years now.

Prove me wrong, Jerry.

Please prove me wrong. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, youdunnf'dup said:

It honestly wouldn’t shock me at all if he was the coach of the browns next year. But if he stays in division and coaches the giants lol, that fan base will explode.

I actually hope he gets another NFL job next year so we can see if he really does just suck as a coach. I'm no fan of Jerry the GM, but we actually have a pretty good roster, and I credit Garrett completely with their shitty play. If Garrett goes to NY and makes a deep playoff run with Daniel Jones and Saquon Barkley, well then, I'll be willing to agree that Jerry is the sole problem with this franchise.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, 'stache said:

I actually hope he gets another NFL job next year so we can see if he really does just suck as a coach. I'm no fan of Jerry the GM, but we actually have a pretty good roster, and I credit Garrett completely with their shitty play. If Garrett goes to NY and makes a deep playoff run with Daniel Jones and Saquon Barkley, well then, I'll be willing to agree that Jerry is the sole problem with this franchise.

Right there with you. Like I’ve said, I think he’s an average NFL coach. An average NFL coach should be able to help improve a poorly coached team (the giants with Shurmur, and the browns with kitchens). He isn’t a super bowl caliber coach though. If that happens, and he wins with another team, Jerry might actually kill himself.

Dak is getting paid.  The idea he wouldn't be the highest paid after this season is ridiculous. Just the way it is, with the market and all.  Then the year after someone will pass him, and in 2 years another 5 guys will have passed him.

Ya'll getting way worked up over a QB's contract.  The ONLY way it'll hurt is if he has a career ending injury OR he flat can't play(like Bortles or some shit) after he signs the deal.

3 minutes ago, Drew said:

The idea he wouldn't be the highest paid after this season is ridiculous.

there’s a decent chance he fails to lead his team to the playoffs.  he will probably finish 8-8 and be sitting on his ass in january.  to even suggest that he should be the highest paid in the league cements your status as the biggest fucking wet-brained retard in the history of human existence. 

1 hour ago, Drew said:

Dak is getting paid.  The idea he wouldn't be the highest paid after this season is ridiculous. Just the way it is, with the market and all.  Then the year after someone will pass him, and in 2 years another 5 guys will have passed him.

Ya'll getting way worked up over a QB's contract.  The ONLY way it'll hurt is if he has a career ending injury OR he flat can't play(like Bortles or some shit) after he signs the deal.

Or if you already signed your running back to a huge contract that he is already failing to live up to you.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, futureman said:

there’s a decent chance he fails to lead his team to the playoffs.  he will probably finish 8-8 and be sitting on his ass in january.  to even suggest that he should be the highest paid in the league cements your status as the biggest fucking wet-brained retard in the history of human existence. 

As if the other 21 starters weren't as big or bigger cause of that record...

• Like 1

Drew, you just made a dumb post to troll a troll, and then spiked the football in celebration afterwards?

You really are a bad message board poster. You're bad at this. I'm sure there might be some rudimentary life skill in which you're a real ace, but posting here is not one of them.

• Like 2

This exact conundrum is exactly why a legit GM or owner fires Garrett after last season. One year left of Dak and although he's played very well stats wise this offense is horrific at scoring points/100 yds gained. They rack up tons of meaningless yards that then turn into 3 pts or 0 points over and over. It would be nice to evaluate him and the rest of the offense with a different coach first before having to make that commitment and negotiate price. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Trey3216 said:

As if the other 21 starters weren't as big or bigger cause of that record...

can’t have it both ways, pal.  everyone gave dak credit for his stellar win-loss record, so he also gets credit for it when it goes to shit.  he touches the ball more than anyone on the field and we’re not winning games.  that’s on him. 

18 minutes ago, futureman said:

can’t have it both ways, pal.  everyone gave dak credit for his stellar win-loss record, so he also gets credit for it when it goes to shit.  he touches the ball more than anyone on the field and we’re not winning games.  that’s on him. 

Actually everyone said that W/L record was because of everything except the QB.  The only one moving the goal posts is trolls like you.

Eh, what the hell.

As long as Dallas is laboring under the curse of Jerry, there will always be some dysfunction or another ruining things. It's just the way he is. Dak seems like a nice enough guy, so if he manages to grab a ton of Jerry's money, I guess I'll just try to be happy for him.

You have to appreciate the smaller things in life when you're a Cowboy fan.  

Comparing Cowboys to /Ravens

Passing Yards  3600/2500

Rushing Yards 1500/2500

Total Yards  5100/5000

TDs 36/49

TOP 30/35

Obviously the the Ravens have a more balanced attack 2500 Rush 2500 Pass. They're killing it in the red zone. They hold the ball a full ten minutes longer per game than their opponents. Their D gets more rest.

This is what we thought Dallas was going to be this year - and I don't think Zeke is the problem. He and Pollard are  plenty good enough to get the job done. It's the play calling. Ginger and Moore simply don't know how to run the ball.

Source: http://www.nfl.com/teams/baltimoreravens/statistics?team=BAL 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Irish Wrist Watch said:

Passing Yards  3600/2500

Rushing Yards 1500/2500

Total Yards  5100/5000

TDs 36/49

TOP 30/35

Obviously the the Ravens have a more balanced attack 2500 Rush 2500 Pass. They're killing it in the red zone. They hold the ball a full ten minutes longer per game than their opponents. Their D gets more rest.

This is what we thought Dallas was going to be this year - and I don't think Zeke is the problem. He and Pollard are  plenty good enough to get the job done. It's the play calling. Ginger and Moore simply don't know how to run the ball.

Lamar Jackson is an unfair comparison to any offense this season because his presence on the field and credible run option on every play puts the defense in unique conflict. Its not just a matter of play calling 

1 hour ago, Pig Bellmont said:

Lamar Jackson is an unfair comparison to any offense this season because his presence on the field and credible run option on every play puts the defense in unique conflict. Its not just a matter of play calling 

His total passing yards are far below Dak's. I'm sure some of his stats are better, but that might be a reflection of an effective rushing attack/play calling behind him - or his receiver corps. Dak doesn't fucking run the ball, but he could, with better coaching. Jackson may be better than Dak, but is he FAR better? I don't think so. It's the coaching and their inability to run that's the MAJOR difference between the 10-2 Ravens and the fucking 6-6 Cowboys.

1 hour ago, Zepol87 said:

Frisco strikes again. 

Frisco is a fucking backwoods hillbilly town at heart. Go into downtown and you will see. It's just masked by all the growth and big money coming in. That town is still fucking hick and hillbilly. Colin County and Kaufman County is the same exact one had an influx of money move in and the other didn't. But both are places you do not want to get pulled over at.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Irish Wrist Watch said:

Passing Yards  3600/2500

Rushing Yards 1500/2500

Total Yards  5100/5000

TDs 36/49

TOP 30/35

Offense is not this team's problem at all. If you gave us just an average defense and special teams, this would easily be a top seed team. But this defense and special teams is fucking horrid. Also, we have a lot of yards because we constantly have to drive the length and we rack up yards with ease. If the defense or special teams ever pitched in, this team would be dangerous. But until then, we are nothing more than a divisional round ceiling. 

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:

Offense is not this team's problem at all. If you gave us just an average defense and special teams, this would easily be a top seed team. But this defense and special teams is fucking horrid. Also, we have a lot of yards because we constantly have to drive the length and we rack up yards with ease. If the defense or special teams ever pitched in, this team would be dangerous. But until then, we are nothing more than a divisional round ceiling. 

The truth is probably somewhere in the middle. Better offense seem to translate into a more effective D and vice versa. Overall, the finger points directly at Clappy and his merry band of thieves.

28 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:

actually our defense is solidly average in almost every category.  where we're not average we're actually top 10 (points per game and total points both #8) and 3rd down conversion rate (#3).  what's killing us is our average starting field position which is around our own 20 yard line.  special teams is the main culprit, with a lack of turnovers playing a big part also.  add to that consistently questionable coaching decisions with clock/game/drive/playcall management and that's what lands us where we are.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, gsoda3 said:

actually our defense is solidly average in almost every category.  where we're not average we're actually top 10 (points per game and total points both #8) and 3rd down conversion rate (#3).  what's killing us is our average starting field position which is around our own 20 yard line.  special teams is the main culprit, with a lack of turnovers playing a big part also.  add to that consistently questionable coaching decisions with clock/game/drive/playcall management and that's what lands us where we are.

When was the last time somebody returned a fucking punt? I watch the guy's covering our opponent's punts - nobody ever touches them as they race down the field. Field position definitely translates to number of TDs scored. We're well below Baltimore on TDs scored.

16 hours ago, Tired Horn said:

Eh, what the hell.

As long as Dallas is laboring under the curse of Jerry, there will always be some dysfunction or another ruining things. It's just the way he is. Dak seems like a nice enough guy, so if he manages to grab a ton of Jerry's money, I guess I'll just try to be happy for him.

You have to appreciate the smaller things in life when you're a Cowboy fan.  

In the 70's, early 80's and 90's one did not have too. Then came Barry. Fuck Jerry Jones.

4 hours ago, Irish Wrist Watch said:

When was the last time somebody returned a fucking punt? I watch the guy's covering our opponent's punts - nobody ever touches them as they race down the field. Field position definitely translates to number of TDs scored. We're well below Baltimore on TDs scored.

returning punts isn't the issue.  the issue is 

kicker - sucks

punter - sucks(we never flip the field at all)

Also, I haven't looked at the stats but, how many times does our D force a punt from the opponents 20 yard line or closer.  we hardly ever stuff a team when we get them pinned.  at worst they make 2 or 3 first downs and then they punt which flips the field back to them.  our D is making the O drive 80+ yards a bunch.  The O is fucking sporadic.  we have both sides of the ball playing well about 10-20%% of the time. That is coaching.

18 hours ago, Irish Wrist Watch said:

Passing Yards  3600/2500

Rushing Yards 1500/2500

Total Yards  5100/5000

TDs 36/49

TOP 30/35

Correct. This was the formula in 2014, and they forgot how to do it. Stick with the run, because it's what the team is build for. They run early, then for some reason they forget that's what they do and start passing 2 to 1 in the second half. They panic when they get behind or the game is tight and start passing...except on such an obvious running short yardage down that they get stuffed  by running the most basic and most expected play possible.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, DougO said:

Correct. This was the formula in 2014, and they forgot how to do it. Stick with the run, because it's what the team is build for. They run early, then for some reason they forget that's what they do and start passing 2 to 1 in the second half. They panic when they get behind or the game is tight and start passing...except on such an obvious running short yardage down that they get stuffed  by running the most basic and most expected play possible.

Greg Davis syndrome. Run successfully until the opponent gets a first down, then panic and start passing sideways. (Especially against teams that could never stop our run game, like Tech or Rice or North Texas

1 hour ago, dcar00 said:

returning punts isn't the issue.  the issue is 

kicker - sucks

punter - sucks(we never flip the field at all)

Also, I haven't looked at the stats but, how many times does our D force a punt from the opponents 20 yard line or closer.  we hardly ever stuff a team when we get them pinned.  at worst they make 2 or 3 first downs and then they punt which flips the field back to them.  our D is making the O drive 80+ yards a bunch.  The O is fucking sporadic.  we have both sides of the ball playing well about 10-20%% of the time. That is coaching.

This

1 hour ago, Junior Miller said:

This offensive line isn't good anymore. Every single person on that line except Collins has regressed from last year or previous years and they're starting Sua'Filo. Pair that with a RB who's a fraud who's reputation was made by the dominance of the Oline. They don't run because they can't run. 

It has been the same story for the last few years.

Start of season: "The Cowboys have the greatest OL ever assembled!"

Middle of season: "Offensive line is a big problem."