Dallas Cowboys 2019 Season Thread -- Aaaah Zeke Out?

Patrick Bateman

6 minutes ago, Drew said:

I mean I agree it’s stupid not to utilize his running(and that’s at least half on Dak for never keeping it) but that’s not the biggest issue.

Defense and play calling really killed them tonight.

I wasn’t saying it like that was the reason they lost, but common sense would tell you that if you pull the ball a few times it’ll open things up for the dude you’re trying to force feed the ball to. And there’s data out there that shows the cowboys win loss record when Dak has X amount of carries. We’re an 8-8, 9-7 football team. We can’t put together two good seasons in a row because we don’t know how to handle success. 

This is on Kid Moore.  Every fucking time we have this type of disparity in effectiveness yet continue to hit our heads into the wall.  I get balance but this is just stupidity.  Please take into account that 6 of the last 7 of these were passes on the last drive of the game so going into the last drive, it was actually 8 passes to 15 runs.  Linehanesque.

Games like this against a quality opponent show exactly why no team under Garrett will ever make a super bowl much less win one. When the game gets close against a good team late your coaching has to make quality decisions, manage clock properly, and put the team in the best spots to allow them the best chance to win the game. 

Garrett routinely fails to do that. Even in games against good teams where his team plays well enough to win like tonight. There's just no way he'll ever be able to do that well enough to beat 3-4 good teams in a row to get to/win a Superbowl. No matter how talented his team may be. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Junior Miller said:

Games like this against a quality opponent show exactly why no team under Garrett will ever make a super bowl much less win one. When the game gets close against a good team late your coaching has to make quality decisions, manage clock properly, and put the team in the best spots to allow them the best chance to win the game. 

Garrett routinely fails to do that. Even in games against good teams where his team plays well enough to win like tonight. There's just no way he'll ever be able to do that well enough to beat 3-4 good teams in a row to get to/win a Superbowl. No matter how talented his team may be. 

He made a stupid decision 2 minutes into the game, going for a 57 yard fg early on that predictably gave Minnesota their first possession at midfield. 
he only gets worse as the game goes on. 

the only coach in the league that could win a super bowl with dak is andy reid.  we’re not getting him so dak needs to go.

Just stop. This is now going past the “funny troll” point to absolutely stupid point.

I know if funny to you...but this is just repetitive BS.

That was the most limp dicked thing i've ever seen. Literally marching down the field on them and you completely go away from what's been working all game and go with some stretch run bullshit that has been getting stuffed all game.

Fucking fire that dumb cunt of a coach already.

Edited by Pam Cummings

6 hours ago, Drew said:

Just stop. This is now going past the “funny troll” point to absolutely stupid point.

I know if funny to you...but this is just repetitive BS.

never been a troll wrt the cowboys.  last time I checked we’re still mediocre and probably gonna miss the playoffs in a year where at least one poster wanted to bet me $500 we’d win the super bowl.  I hate losing and I hate that most of the fan base would rather bury their head in the sand about what’s wrong instead of having pertinent conversations about who we should be going after to replace him.  you are the worst of all.  I’m gonna start calling you ostrich boy. 

That was the most limp dicked thing i've ever seen. Literally marching down the field on them and you completely go away from what's been working all game and go with some stretch run bullshit that has been getting stuffed all game.

Then follow it up with a fair catch when nobody was within 20 yards

3 minutes ago, futureman said:

never been a troll wrt the cowboys.  last time I checked we’re still mediocre and probably gonna miss the playoffs in a year where at least one poster wanted to bet me $500 we’d win the super bowl.  I hate losing and I hate that most of the fan base would rather bury their head in the sand about what’s wrong instead of having pertinent conversations about who we should be going after to replace him.  you are the worst of all.  I’m gonna start calling you ostrich boy. 

Saying the one guy who kept us in the game is the reason we lost is the trolliest, stupidest fucking thing i've ever read. Eat a dick and die.

20 minutes ago, Pam Cummings said:

Totally outsmarted himself by not trying to score with too much time on the clock. He forgot the most important part -- scoring the TD.

The Cowboys had zero first downs rushing last night, first time in like 12 years that's happened. I keep seeing statements about Frederick not being the same this year. Admittedly, it's hard for me to watch the center during plays. What's his current standing in those positional rankings they always reference?

7 hours ago, Junior Miller said:

In key situations, it seems to me, Landry and Johnson would make great decisions. Often they would come up with a play that surprised everybody and we'd see a receiver wide open. With Garrett, it's just the opposite. We see the worst calls of the game on key plays. On fourth down last night around the fifteen, we knew they'd be blitzing and yet Dak seemed to have no other options except a cross field throw to a smothered receiver. He was boxed in with no option to run. Dak makes some of his best throws on the run - and here he is game on the line, stuck in a fast collapsing pocket.

We see a lot of coaches on the sidelines looking at printed and highlighted cheat sheets, looking ahead to the next play. Have we ever seen that with Clappy? It would prevent him from doing the one thing he knows how to do - clap. A Clappy-coached team will never make a real playoff run.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, C-Man said:

He hasn't looked "right" all year. But he got his deal. Profit?

He's still a good back, but running backs don't age well and he has never built his game on explosiveness with long speed.  He'll rebound with a few big games but would have rather signed Hunt and let Zeke play it out and wish him well or just played RB roulette with the draft.  It was a dumb extension but most people knew it would be and most people knew we'd do it anyway.  The big defense of signing him to the extension was we were built to win now and we had to take our shot...... Welp.  I really do think a missed playoffs is the end of Garrett but that's of little relief of another wasted year.  We wasted Dak's rookie contract so....... yea.  And trading a declining RB is next to impossible.  See Shady or AD or whoever.  You cut them and eat the money.  

Remember, Philly has the easiest schedule in the league after next week....

We make it close a lot though!

Edited by Patrick Bateman

When the game was on the line for minny, they went to what was working and got the 4th down td on the toss stretch. 

when the game was on the line for Dallas in the last drive, they went away from what got them 80 yards and to what had not worked all game long, turning 2nd and 2 into 4th and 5. And then with that call, they didn’t give their mobile qb many options via a roll out. 

it doesn’t take genius level coaching to beat Dallas, just competent coaching and letting Dallas shoot them selves in both feet through their ballsack. 

6 hours ago, tjhooker said:

Shocking. Cowboys lost to a good team. They only can beat mediocre and bad teams. Completely out coached. 

https://www.bloggingtheboys.com/2019/11/11/20958831/grading-jason-garretts-28-24-loss-to-the-vikings

So, the Cowboys lost to the Minnesota Vikings on Sunday night by the score of 28-24. Many will point to the Dallas defense looking feeble trying to stop the Vikings run game (153 yards) and giving up five 60+ yard drives.

But make no mistake. This game was lost by Jason Garrett and his stubbornness to run the ball and his commitment to conservative play.

Let’s get into the details with the grades.

OVERALL: C

There was some good Sunday, especially from Dak Prescott, the team’s wide-outs and the passing game. They racked up nearly 400 yards passing and accounted for all three of the team’s touchdowns.

The same cannot be said for the rest of the team. The defense struggled all night long. They generated only one sack and recorded no turnovers. Worse, they were gashed for 153 yards on the ground and seemed to have no answer for the Vikings endless parade of screens, play-action bootlegs and mis-direction plays. Only a couple of red-zone stops prevented the Vikings from putting up 35+ points on this unit.

Similarly the Cowboys run game was anemic. They finished with 50 yards on 22 attempts, with the vast majority of those attempts coming on first down. This repeatedly put Prescott and the offense in bad second and third down situations, but they repeatedly managed to overcome those situations. Still, outside of the Cowboys’ passing game none of the other units had a good night.

Coaching: F

In analyzing football, it’s good to try and not be a reactive person. One-off events should not trump long-term results. But it’s hard to remember a game where a football team’s coaching so undermined the player’s efforts on the field. This was manifest, primarily, in the team’s continued insistence to run the ball on first down.

Here’s a table showing the team’s first down results when running and passing the ball:

1st_down_playcalling.jpg

The Cowboys ran the ball on all five of their first down plays to start the game, and were unsuccessful on every one. In fact, they weren’t successful running the ball on any of their first-down runs other than the one time they used Tavon Austin on an end-around for seven yards.

Admittedly, they weren’t much more successful throwing the ball on first down in the first half (three incompletions, one completion for four yards). But when they took over in the third quarter down six points they finally started throwing the ball, often using play-action (completely absent in the first half). The results:

• Elliott for 12 yards
  • Witten for 9 yards
  • Cooper 13 yards
  • Cooper 12 yards (touchdown)

Yet after finally enjoying immense success in the third quarter throwing on first down after suffering terrible failure in the first half running the ball on first down, the first five plays on first down in the fourth quarter:

• Elliott for -4
  • Elliott for 1
  • Elliott for 5
  • Elliott for 0
  • Elliott for 1

Finally, with the team needing a touchdown to score and only 4:34 remaining - and forced to throw the ball - we got the following results when throwing on four consecutive first down plays:

• Cobb for 20 yards
  • Cooper for 10 yards
  • Incomplete
  • Cooper 20 yards

They then went to Elliott for a first down run of four yards. That eventually led to a first down where they passed again:

It was at this point where Jason Garrett turned a truly bad coaching performance into a horrific, inexplicable coaching performance. The situation:

• 1:33 remaining.
  • Down 28-24.
  • Running game has been completely shut down all night long.
  • Passing game has been virtually unstoppable, especially in the second half and on this particular drive.

So, what do the Cowboys do when needing two yards for a first down? They dial up consecutive running plays. Shockingly, these two plays combined netted a three yard loss and put Dallas in a desperate fourth-and-5 situation.

The case can be made that Jason Garrett isn’t calling the plays and Kellen Moore is; but coordinators, especially young, first-year coordinators, take cues from the head coach. Garrett’s simple message should have been the direct and simple: “stop running the ball on and just get first downs!”. More importantly, the head coach is the final arbiter. If I’m Garrett in that situation there’s no doubt what I’m telling Moore I want.

On fourth down a failed pass attempt to Elliott ended the drive and seemingly the game. But Dallas then forced a three and out and a punt with 24 seconds remaining.

This is when another conservative decision finally doomed the Cowboys.

Tavon Austin is very fast. He assumed his punt returning position around the Cowboys 45 yard-line and had this field in front of him after catching the at the 46-yard line:

Austin_PR.jpg

So, we have one of the fastest players in the league with wide open green space, six Cowboys’ blockers and only four Vikings’ defenders. At a minimum he reaches the Vikings’ 40, a reasonable expectation is the Vikings’ 30; a mildly ambitious expectation is that Austin uses his speed and elusiveness to score a stunning game-winning, season-changing touchdown that goes down as one of the single most remarkable plays in Cowboys history. I mean, look at that lane down the left side!

But Austin chose instead to fair catch the ball. The general consensus is Austin was ordered to make the fair catch (as Cris Collinsworth said on the broadcast). Apparently, that wasn’t the case:

Jason Garrett on @1053thefan said Tavon Austin was not told he had to fair catch this punt. “If there’s an opportunity to make a play we certainly encourage him to do that...In hindsight...there might have been an opportunity not to (fair catch) and kinda hit it north and south.” https://t.co/HreCIPL7T1

— Jon Machota (@jonmachota) November 11, 2019

The way Austin looked agitated afterwards makes you think he was at least strongly encouraged to not return the ball. Regardless, the wrong decision was made and you have to wonder why.

Add other head-scratching decisions like three straight times not going for it on fourth down to:

• Attempt a 57-yard field goal rather than going for it on 4th-and-6 from the Vikings’ 39
  • Punting from the Vikings 48 on 4th-and-6
  • Punting from the Vikings 40 on 4th-and-4

Each of these individual decisions fly in the face of what the analytics say to do in those situations.

We should always caution against being reactionary, but this is the most talented Cowboys team we’ve seen in many years. The coaching staff has, by my account, twice handcuffed them with irrational, conservative decision-making that makes it harder for them to win.

I said fire Garrett after the Jets game and I’d argue the same now. He’s restricting the abilities of this team. Our fearless leader Dave Halprin captured it perfectly: “Great coach Monday through Saturday, terrible on Sunday”. This team can’t reach it’s potential with bad game-day coaching.

Last night's game one of those the Cowboys likely win if they had  any home field advantage.

Still, they didn't deserve it. They should just play every game on the road and show the game on TV at AT&T, which is basically what most of the fans at home games are doing anyway.

3 minutes ago, DougO said:

Last night's game one of those the Cowboys likely win if they had  any home field advantage.

Still, they didn't deserve it. They should just play every game on the road and show the game on TV at AT&T, which is basically what most of the fans at home games are doing anyway.

Hard to have a home field advantage this year when your team spots the other team 10-14 points every single game. The cowboys take the crowd out of the game, not the other teams

1 minute ago, youdunnf'dup said:

Hard to have a home field advantage this year when your team spots the other team 10-14 points every single game. The cowboys take the crowd out of the game, not the other teams

That would be true for any other team, but the cowboys lack of HFA at the death star is well documented.  It just doesn't exist.

18 minutes ago, youdunnf'dup said:

The crowd would be in the game early and help prevent such shitty starts if they had a home field advantage.

i don't follow the Cowboys closely, but i was taken aback when i realized that this is Jason Garrett's 9th full year of coaching the Cowboys.

Not too may coaches have a tenure with that length with so little to show for it. Never been to the NFC Championship Game, correct?

Belichick 2000 - 6 super bowls

Payton 2006 - ! Super Bowl

Tomlinson 2007 - 1 Super Bowl

HJarbaugh 2008 - 1 Super Bowl

Garrett 2010 - pretty much nothing

Carroll 2010 - 1 Super Bowl

Rivera 2011 - NFC Championship/Payed in a Super Bowl

18 minutes ago, Gene Parmesan said:

That would be true for any other team, but the cowboys lack of HFA at the death star is well documented.  It just doesn't exist.

5 minutes ago, DougO said:

The crowd would be in the game early and help prevent such shitty starts if they had a home field advantage.

That’s fair. The crowd seemed fine in the eagles game where we got off to a quick start, but y’all are right. When guys like Aaron Rodgers and Eli Manning day we love playing in Dallas because we feel comfortable in that stadium, it says a lot.

22 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

Who gives a shit. It’s not going to change for 25 years. Jerrah wanted a circus not a football stadium.

Who gives a shit this is what Jerry wants is literally the answer to every single complaint in this thread.  I've moved past that because I enjoy conversing with strangers on the internet.

2 minutes ago, DougO said:

As I have said many times, and it still true: Jerry wants the Cowboys to win and be great more than anybody. He just sucks shit at getting it done.

After 30 years of observation, it's obvious Jerry's greatest priority is being the center of attention.

Winning matters, but being front and center with the lights and cameras on him matters most. It's a compulsion.

6 minutes ago, Braff Zacklin said:

After 30 years of observation, it's obvious Jerry's greatest priority is being the center of attention.

Winning matters, but being front and center with the lights and cameras on him matters most. It's a compulsion.

He pretty much admitted as much when he said he wouldn't trade his HOF for more superbowls.  Him being front in center is his true motivation. 

21 minutes ago, DougO said:

As I have said many times, and it still true: Jerry wants the Cowboys to win and be great more than anybody. He just sucks shit at getting it done.

As I have said many times, and it is still true: Jerry wants the Cowboys to win and be great more than anyone. It's just that he'll choose not doing that if anyone but him can take any credit for it. That's why Jason has lasted so long. Jerry wants to win with his puppet to refute an obvious truth--Jimmy Johnson had more to do with the initial success of the Jones era than Jerry did.  

32 minutes ago, youdunnf'dup said:

That’s fair. The crowd seemed fine in the eagles game where we got off to a quick start, but y’all are right. When guys like Aaron Rodgers and Eli Manning day we love playing in Dallas because we feel comfortable in that stadium, it says a lot.

I think they feel "comfortable" in that stadium because they had success against Cowboys teams that simply weren't very good for the most part. They're also two HOFers -- what do you expect them to say?

29 minutes ago, Junior Miller said:

This shit isn't about the ugly ass shity stadium. It's about the ugly ass shity coaching and the micromanaging fucktard backwards ass inbred arky family running it

Exactly. That stadium gets plenty loud when the team's play warrants. Getting boat-raced in the first quarter does not do a very good job at setting up a wild stadium.