Dallas Cowboys 2019 Season Thread -- Aaaah Zeke Out?

Patrick Bateman

8 minutes ago, tokamak said:

Alright so we probably need to go 3-3 down the stretch, including beating Philly, to get into the playoffs.

Assuming next week @NE is a loss, and the final game against WAS is a win, in addition to beating Philly we need to win one of BUF, @CHI, or LAR. That seems pretty doable. Chicago ain't anything special, and we have the other two at home. I'm feeling optimistic for the time being.

Of course, that probably means we'll trip all over our dicks somehow. Losing to the Eagles would fuck everything up for sure.

I think they might need to go 4-2. I have a sneaky feeling the eagles are going to beat the Seahawks next week at home (they’re -.2.5 favorites). I don’t know what happens if we end the season with the same record. What’s the next relevant tiebreaker? Conference record? If that’s the case, then I think we might win that tiebreaker considering their bad loss was the falcons and ours was the jets. So maybe you’re right. Maybe 9-7 would do it. But i think the eagles have found something and they’ll handle their business. I still love how we match up with them in a one game winner take all though. 

38 minutes ago, tokamak said:

Alright so we probably need to go 3-3 down the stretch, including beating Philly, to get into the playoffs.

Assuming next week @NE is a loss, and the final game against WAS is a win, in addition to beating Philly we need to win one of BUF, @CHI, or LAR. That seems pretty doable. Chicago ain't anything special, and we have the other two at home. I'm feeling optimistic for the time being.

Of course, that probably means we'll trip all over our dicks somehow. Losing to the Eagles would fuck everything up for sure.

Depends on what Philly does next week. They're pretty banged up but it's a home game vs a WC team.  If they win, then it's 4-2.  Regardless, it's looking like unless this team goes 5-1 down the stretch, it's going to have to beat Philly regardless.  Buffalo should be a win, they're improving but Allen's not that good as long as you spy him.  Chicago is in disarray but that'll be a really rough road game in December.  Trying to figure out what this Cowboys team will do is sort of against logic, but I would guess most winnable games would be in this order:  Washington, Buffalo, @ Chi, LAR, @ PHI, @ NE.  Injuries always color everything but I expect Philly to be pretty healthy (Jeffery, Howard, Johnson all back) by then.  Rams should have Cooks and Woods back by then.  Etc, etc.

Moving on, I've been extremely disappointed with our ST all season and banging on them pretty hard.  The punting specifically is pathetic.  We have to be one of the worst teams in giving up hidden yardage.

Edited by Patrick Bateman

6 minutes ago, youdunnf'dup said:

I think they might need to go 4-2. I have a sneaky feeling the eagles are going to beat the Seahawks next week at home (they’re -.2.5 favorites). I don’t know what happens if we end the season with the same record. What’s the next relevant tiebreaker? Conference record? If that’s the case, then I think we might win that tiebreaker considering their bad loss was the falcons and ours was the jets. So maybe you’re right. Maybe 9-7 would do it. But i think the eagles have found something and they’ll handle their business. I still love how we match up with them in a one game winner take all though. 

The 2nd tiebreaker is record within the division. Cowboys sitting at 4-0 with games against PHI and WAS. Eagles are currently 1-1 with two against NYG and one each against us and WAS.

After that the 3rd tiebreaker is record in common games. At that point, shit's getting too complicated for me to figure out.

1 minute ago, tokamak said:

The 2nd tiebreaker is record within the division. Cowboys sitting at 4-0 with games against PHI and WAS. Eagles are currently 1-1 with two against NYG and one each against us and WAS.

After that the 3rd tiebreaker is record in common games. At that point, shit's getting too complicated for me to figure out.

They beat the Packers and the Jets.  We beat Detroit.  They're going to beat Miami.  We'd lose the 3rd tiebreaker.

1 hour ago, Vic Mackey said:

Name the handful of years. I can't remember one season where this defense was worth a damn, especially when it counted. They have a handful of good games and stretches inside a season but overall, they suck. Especially when it comes to making plays and turnovers for this offense. Our offense consistently has to drive the length of the field because our defense sucks. They rarely get any turnovers or force a quick 3 and out. Even when we do force a team to punt, we allowed them to drive the ball and so when they do punt, they pin us deep.

Giving up over 500 yards to the Giants offense should have been the extreme red flag to start this season. This followed that god awful Rams playoff game. So many scoffed because we won comfortably and the Giants didn't score that much and people passed it off as garbage yards. Hell the Dolphins moved the ball with ease in the 1st half. Sam Darnold coming off mono torched us and then trashed us in public saying our defense is so simplistic and easy to decipher.

This defense shows flashes every blue moon but are consistent at all. We have ruined so much talent on the offense because of that side of the ball. Throw special teams in there as well. They never do shit either.

1 hour ago, Bruh Man said:

Off the top of my head '03, '09 we had defenses we could lean. We haven't had a ball-hawking defense since Parcells last year. 

I sat in the EZ of that Rams game, it was demoralizing seeing our alignments and predicting the runs that were coming up the middle.

I swear Cowboys fans in general spend 80% of their time discussing the offense when 80% of the problem is the defense. It's what held Romo back and it's happening again with Dak. 

Looking at the Cowboys' Defensive SRS ratings at PFR -- 0.0 being league average -- the Cowboys had 2.0 or higher five times (2003, 2005, 2009, 2016 and 2018). The best was 2009 (6.7), which is their best ever. Last year's DEF was 2.9.

3 minutes ago, Drew said:

They need to go 4-2.  Beating Philly in the process.  Would love to just get another home playoff game.  After that a quick exit ensures Garrett is fired IMO.

I’m telling you guys, if we’re the first back to back NFC east champs since 2004, id almost be willing to put money on Garrett coming back. Unless we just get the shit kicked out of us, which is certainly possible against Seattle or SF. Maybe I’m just saying that to hedge, because I’ll happily pay if I’m wrong lol, but I’m pretty confident in this one. I want to be wrong so bad. 

I think he's fired for sure for failing to make the playoffs, but an early playoff exit leaves a lot of gray area.  Garrett has already used up his nine coaching lives during the Romo era, so I'd be happy with him gone, but making the playoffs 3 out of 4 years is solid.  Making the playoffs might not be the Cowboys standard but we also haven't been doing a whole lot of that either.

11 minutes ago, Gene Parmesan said:

I think he's fired for sure for failing to make the playoffs, but an early playoff exit leaves a lot of gray area.  Garrett has already used up his nine coaching lives during the Romo era, so I'd be happy with him gone, but making the playoffs 3 out of 4 years is solid.  Making the playoffs might not be the Cowboys standard but we also haven't been doing a whole lot of that either.

My thoughts exactly. They have a great relationship, and there is no guarantee that will be the case with the next head coach. There’s no guarantee he’ll be better than garrett either. If we have a back and forth game against a team like Seattle, I just don’t see Jerry moving on. Not when this coach is basically his son, and they’ve won the division 3 out of the last 4 years. Now lose week 16 in philly, or lose 42-17 in a home playoff game, then that’s a wrap. Just my opinion.

I also think it depends on who they actually have lined up to replace him (obviously). 

Edited by youdunnf'dup

2 hours ago, C-Man said:

Looking at the Cowboys' Defensive SRS ratings at PFR -- 0.0 being league average -- the Cowboys had 2.0 or higher five times (2003, 2005, 2009, 2016 and 2018). The best was 2009 (6.7), which is their best ever. Last year's DEF was 2.9.

How far did you look back? Do they have a SRS number that is considered "elite"?

Edited by Bruh Man

47 minutes ago, Bruh Man said:

How far did you look back? Do they have a SRS number that is considered "elite"?

Dammit -- meant to post the link. The 2009 rating (6.7) is the best they've had in the history of the franchise followed by 1973 and 1968. It's interesting that in every SB winning year, the Cowboys have been much, much better offensively than defensively. For comparison's sake, the 1985 Bears' SRS was 9.4, the 2000 Ravens were 8.0 and the 2002 Buccaneers were 9.8. The 1976 Steelers were 9.6.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/dal/

Edited by C-Man

4 hours ago, Vic Mackey said:

Giving up over 500 yards to the Giants offense should have been the extreme red flag to start this season. This followed that god awful Rams playoff game. So many scoffed because we won comfortably and the Giants didn't score that much and people passed it off as garbage yards. Hell the Dolphins moved the ball with ease in the 1st half. Sam Darnold coming off mono torched us and then trashed us in public saying our defense is so simplistic and easy to decipher.

This defense shows flashes every blue moon but are consistent at all. We have ruined so much talent on the offense because of that side of the ball. Throw special teams in there as well. They never do shit either.

Do you feel the issue is strictly scheme/coaching? Does Dallas have the personnel (i.e., enough talent) to field a quality defense?

You've made your thoughts on Marinelli very clear, even though I'm not sure if he's calling plays or if it's Richard. Regardless, my concern entering the season was pass rush, and that's been addressed in spades. Unfortunately, the LB corps has slipped and the secondary is inconsistent, but I feel like the parts are there, they just aren't meshing, for whatever reason (*cough* coaching *cough*).

3 hours ago, Braff Zacklin said:

Do you feel the issue is strictly scheme/coaching? Does Dallas have the personnel (i.e., enough talent) to field a quality defense?

You've made your thoughts on Marinelli very clear, even though I'm not sure if he's calling plays or if it's Richard. Regardless, my concern entering the season was pass rush, and that's been addressed in spades. Unfortunately, the LB corps has slipped and the secondary is inconsistent, but I feel like the parts are there, they just aren't meshing, for whatever reason (*cough* coaching *cough*).

I feel like we have the talent to be a solid defense but not a very good or great one.  We don't have the consistency up the middle and can be bullied in the run game or attacked in the middle of the field in the passing game.  We need to be more physical at LB, need a stouter 1 tech, a 4th corner and ball hawking safety.  Other than that we're fantastic.

44 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

I feel like we have the talent to be a solid defense but not a very good or great one.  We don't have the consistency up the middle and can be bullied in the run game or attacked in the middle of the field in the passing game.  We need to be more physical at LB, need a stouter 1 tech, a 4th corner and ball hawking safety.  Other than that we're fantastic.

A ball-hawking safety would be nice.

Agree that the potential to be solid is there. Don't know enough Xs and Os to understand why they aren't playing better, especially with the much-improved pass rush. Quinn has been a revelation.

The defense is the main problem followed by Garrett being a very poor game day coach. 

I think the main problem on defense is the defensive tackles are pure garbage followed by the poor safeties. They keep ignoring defensive tackle in the draft, especially a big one tech plugging tackle who can occupy the center guard combo. The Vikings exploited that greatly by getting their center and either guard to the second level to pick off the linebackers pretty much every run play. This past weekend they Lions did the same thing. 

how they haven't addressed that after all these years of it being a major problem, and it being the one main reason they lost the playoff game, is fucking maddening. 

The main problem going forward is they're committing so much ridiculous money to the offense that unless they are absolutely lights out best ever level drafting on defense the defense is only going to get worse

Edited by Junior Miller
  • Like 2

There are many regrets, mistakes and losses that can keep an NFL executive up at night. For Dallas Cowboys owner Jerry Jones, one of those is the time he reportedly had a chance to hire Bill Belichick -- and has regretted missing the chance ever since.

According to Jon Machota of The Athletic, Belichick had a random accounter with Jones at a ski resort in the mid-90s, just after Belichick had been fired as head coach of the Cleveland Browns.

This was long before Belichick became a legend with the New England Patriots, and before he’d even started to rebuild his stock as an assistant under Bill Parcells again. Belichick was free to hire and wanted a job.

“Bill Belichick said, ‘I can coach. If you ever get an opportunity, don’t forget about me,’” Jones told The Athletic. “I’ve thought about that many times. You never know where you can find a great coach. You can find them in a ski checkout line sometimes.”

According to Machota, Jones said, from “time to time,” he still thinks about missing out on the chance to hire Belichick.

https://www.masslive.com/patriots/2019/11/jerry-jones-once-had-a-chance-to-hire-bill-belichick-at-a-ski-resort-cowboys-owner-still-thinks-about-it-report.html

54 minutes ago, Junior Miller said:

The defense is the main problem followed by Garrett being a very poor game day coach. 

I think the main problem on defense is the defensive tackles are pure garbage followed by the poor safeties. They keep ignoring defensive tackle in the draft, especially a big one tech plugging tackle who can occupy the center guard combo. The Vikings exploited that greatly by getting their center and either guard to the second level to pick off the linebackers pretty much every run play. This past weekend they Lions did the same thing. 

how they haven't addressed that after all these years of it being a major problem, and it being the one main reason they lost the playoff game, is fucking maddening. 

The main problem going forward is they're committing so much ridiculous money to the offense that unless they are absolutely lights out best ever level drafting on defense the defense is only going to get worse

Been saying this for years. We don't value DTs or safeties. At all. Marinelli loves his spare parts DTs who are junk so he can "coach" them up. Except he never does and his scheme sucks. We get no push up the middle. QBs hate pressure up the middle. Having good DEs are good and they are the sexy position but if you get no pressure up the middle, QBs will have a more comfortable pocket and you will get gashed up the middle. Our DTs don't do anything well. Neither do our safeties. Thompson looks worse than Heath. If we had solid DTs and safeties, the rest of our defense would look much better. We also love the undersized DTs as well because Marinelli wants that.

We passed on TJ Watt for Taco and some good safeties for T.Hill because Marinelli. Fuck him and his scheme. Him and Garrett need to go.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dr. Beeper said:

More effusive than he needs to be about us. Belichick is such a fucking stud. 

They left out the end where he said “but I’ve seen the system and I understand completely how to stop it and by Sunday my defense will also understand completely how to stop it, and I’ll be royally fucking pissed if we give up a point, and I’ll whip Steve with his own play sheet.”

4 minutes ago, Dr. Beeper said:

I bet we win. Pats will discover a bit of O but we win. They are terrible and we will win convincingly. 

Yeah, every time I think the current version of the Patriots isn't as good as the past versions of the Patriots, they lay the wood to a "contender".  I hope it's nit Dallas' turn to be that "contender" but why on Earth would anyone believe in the Cowboys over the Patriots based on the last 20 years?  I hope you are right, but I'm going to expect a horrible loss so I can be pleasantly surprised if they somehow can win this one.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Wally Pryor said:

There are many regrets, mistakes and losses that can keep an NFL executive up at night. For Dallas Cowboys owner Jerry Jones, one of those is the time he reportedly had a chance to hire Bill Belichick -- and has regretted missing the chance ever since.

Hindsight is always 20/20. Bill was a great DC under Parcells with the Giants. But at that time, what had he proven has a head coach? He did have some good seasons with Cleveland but its not like we passed up on the current Bill. Who knows what he does here under Jerry's thumb compared to what he has done with Brady and under Kraft. Teams pass up constantly on coaches who have not proven much who go onto winning big. Can't really regret that. 

59 minutes ago, 'stache said:

It would somehow make sense for this team to beat the Pats a few weeks after losing to the Jets. Then we can run with some late season hype before playing like shit again in the playoffs, after maybe a wild card win.

I could absolutely see us playing well. Outside of Baltimore, we are EASILY the best offense NE has seen this year. And NE’s offense has looked pedestrian against every competent defense they’ve played, including Philly last week. Our d isn’t good, but it’s at least average. They’ve had some bad games, but every team outside of NE and maybe Chicago have had some really bad games defensively. 

With that being said, I can already see a 20-13 final score where we just have 4 or 5 bone headed plays that we can look at for why we lost the game. 

39 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:

Hindsight is always 20/20. Bill was a great DC under Parcells with the Giants. But at that time, what had he proven has a head coach? He did have some good seasons with Cleveland but its not like we passed up on the current Bill. Who knows what he does here under Jerry's thumb compared to what he has done with Brady and under Kraft. Teams pass up constantly on coaches who have not proven much who go onto winning big. Can't really regret that. 

Yeah, agree.   Just a funny story.  More so hearing Jerrah telling it how he was waiting in line to get ski equipment for the grand kids and Bill walks up and bumps him a couple times to get his attention. 

39 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:

Yeah there is nothing really to regret.  He was just fired from Cleveland and then lurked around as an assistant under Parcells for a couple of years.  Every team that had openings passed on him.  It's not like they brought him in for an interview and he was runner up to Chan Gailey. 

3 minutes ago, Gene Parmesan said:

Yeah there is nothing really to regret.  He was just fired from Cleveland and then lurked around as an assistant under Parcells for a couple of years.  Every team that had openings passed on him.  It's not like they brought him in for an interview and he was runner up to Chan Gailey

cute-cringe-gif-456.gif

1 hour ago, Wally Pryor said:

Yeah, agree.   Just a funny story.  More so hearing Jerrah telling it how he was waiting in line to get ski equipment for the grand kids and Bill walks up and bumps him a couple times to get his attention. 

I fully expect Jerry would not have let Bill do what he wanted. The 2 coaches he let do their own thing did not last long. Jerry's ego could not handle Jimmy having success. And Jerry only used Parcells to get this new stadium built.

But if Bill still wants to come here and coach, we can give yall Jason lol.

58 minutes ago, Gene Parmesan said:

Yeah there is nothing really to regret.  He was just fired from Cleveland and then lurked around as an assistant under Parcells for a couple of years.  Every team that had openings passed on him.  It's not like they brought him in for an interview and he was runner up to Chan Gailey. 

Was he fired from Cleveland? I thought he was there when Cleveland was moving to to Baltimore and none of the staff moved there. They got a whole new regime. But I am not sure. There is a very good episode about Bill's days in Cleveland on the A Football Life series called 1994 Cleveland. I was young back then so I did not keep up with the league like I do now. They were actually building something good in Cleveland under Bill and he put together a real good staff. They were actually some media member's Super Bowl contenders to start the 95 season. But when it was announced they were moving to Baltimore, the season sort of crumbled. 

He still is the last coach to win a playoff game for the Browns. I think they have only been back to the playoffs one time since then in total. They have to be the most miserable franchise going right now. Even the other shitty team from Ohio in Cincy made the playoffs plenty of times even if they didn't win.

33 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:

Was he fired from Cleveland?

Per Wiki:

In Belichick's last season in Cleveland, the Browns finished 5–11, despite starting 3–1.[30] One of his most controversial moves was cutting quarterback Bernie Kosar midway through the 1993 season. Kosar was signed by the Dallas Cowboys two days later and won a Super Bowl with the Cowboys in Super Bowl XXVIII. In November 1995, in the middle of the ongoing football season, Browns owner Art Modell had announced he would move his franchise to Baltimore after the season.[31] After first being given assurances that he would coach the new team that would later become the Baltimore Ravens, Belichick was instead fired on February 14, 1996, one week after the shift was officially announced.[32]

Interesting note is that Nick Saban was Belichick's DC in 1994 when the Browns went 11-5.

Yeah, think he burned a few bridges getting rid of favored son Bernie K.  

Who knows how things would've played out had Bledsoe not got injured.  Weren't they coming off a losing season and were o-fer the season when Bledsoe got hurt? 

Edited by Underdog

5 hours ago, Wally Pryor said:

According to Jon Machota of The Athletic, Belichick had a random accounter with Jones at a ski resort in the mid-90s, just after Belichick had been fired as head coach of the Cleveland Browns.

This was long before Belichick became a legend with the New England Patriots, and before he’d even started to rebuild his stock as an assistant under Bill Parcells again. Belichick was free to hire and wanted a job.

“Bill Belichick said, ‘I can coach. If you ever get an opportunity, don’t forget about me,’” Jones told The Athletic. “I’ve thought about that many times. You never know where you can find a great coach. You can find them in a ski checkout line sometimes.”

According to Machota, Jones said, from “time to time,” he still thinks about missing out on the chance to hire Belichick.

https://www.masslive.com/patriots/2019/11/jerry-jones-once-had-a-chance-to-hire-bill-belichick-at-a-ski-resort-cowboys-owner-still-thinks-about-it-report.html

as if Jerrah ever would have remotely provided an atmosphere of creativity and ownership enjoyed by Belicheck under Kraft's watch...

He also overpays like a motherfucker for his 'pet' players.  he is the antithesis of Kraft when it comes to building a successful roster.

• Like 1