Dallas Cowboys 2019 Season Thread -- Aaaah Zeke Out?

Patrick Bateman

3 hours ago, PilotsError said:

So what if the interim wins. Unless he wins the super bowl, you say thank you for your service and move on.

This. First off, it's such a ridiculous hypothetical.  But regardless of that, it's a stupid line of reasoning.  Oh noes, what if it's wildly successful, that would be bad!

3 minutes ago, TornACL said:

This. First off, it's such a ridiculous hypothetical.  But regardless of that, it's a stupid line of reasoning.  Oh noes, what if it's wildly successful, that would be bad!

I don't disagree, but beating the rams, eagles, and redskins hardly should be considered wildly successful.  

3 hours ago, Irish Wrist Watch said:

Did you see Clappy calling any plays last night? You think Clappy put the brakes on the brilliant Moore for seven series in a row? Kellen Moore probably won't get another NFL job anytime soon. His next move is into college ball. (Or maybe online gaming).

This whole thing about Garrett secretly running the plays is so goddamn stupid. It's as stupid as the Tom Herman / Tim Beck thing.  When the offense sucks, everyone is convinced that it's Garrett / Beck calling plays, but when the offense magically performs, it's because the other guy is now calling plays. That's not how this works, it's not how any of this works.

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, Gene Parmesan said:

I don't disagree, but beating the rams, eagles, and redskins hardly should be considered wildly successful.  

Sorry I should have clarified...I was assuming "some wins" to mean at least 1-2 playoff wins. So a 5 game win streak.

17 minutes ago, TornACL said:

This whole thing about Garrett secretly running the plays is so goddamn stupid. It's as stupid as the Tom Herman / Tim Beck thing.  When the offense sucks, everyone is convinced that it's Garrett / Beck calling plays, but when the offense magically performs, it's because the other guy is now calling plays. That's not how this works, it's not how any of this works.

I think it's pretty obvious Garrett isn't calling the plays as he never speaks into his headset, but if you're a lame duck head coach without a new contract and your team starts losing wouldn't you take over and call the plays yourself? I'm surprised he hasn't. Unless he's just so worn out by having to be Jerry's puppet after 13 years and $60+ million (above board) in pay he just wants it to be over and doesn't give a shit. 

Edited by Junior Miller

8 hours ago, Vic Mackey said:

Does Jerry have it in him to finally let a competent coach come in and have the freedom he needs? I hope he knows he's getting older and he already has enough money to last 200 lifetimes. His family is set forever. But it's Jerry. Of course its only about money and his brand image. Win or lose, Dallas is front page headlines. Hell probably more when they lose. Cowboys winning would be boring for the media. Not enough storylines.

the day jerry steps down is the day he doesn’t have the football team.  that’s the deal that he made with you the first night he ever walked in there.  in order to do what he does he’s gonna make the final calls.  that’s the way that it’s been since the day he walked in there.  what you want him to do is stand back and write checks.  by the way, that doesn’t work, either.  that doesn’t work, either.  I don’t see that workin—where’s that workin around the NFL?  where they’re writin checks and handin it over to a football man?

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Junior Miller said:

At this point I'd just elevate Kitna. He seems to be the opposite personality of Garrett and in an interim coach where you just want to pray for a spark that's what you need. 

Forget playing football. We can't even do a basic thing like firing a coach right. Most organizations know that they've decided to fire their coach, and they either just do it or shutup about it until the day after the season ends. But not Dallas. No, we have to have our "look at me" whacko GM doing some silly, half-ass Hamlet routine. One week he's issuing terse, annoyed threats that this might be, maybe could be, the end of the line; the next he's all teary eyed and blubbering about what a great guy the coach is, and how he's certain to keep him if he just goes on some epic win streak that no one outside of Jerry can even talk about with a straight face. Just fire him already or shut the hell up.

It's not the lack of playoff success, or simply losing itself, that's most wearing on a Cowboy fan. It's the fact that every single thing involving Jerry becomes some mangled clusterfuck that gives sportswriters nationwide the chance to write columns about how pathetic we are.  I'm certainly not one of those foreseeing a blissful future under Stephen, but I'll give him this--he hasn't shown the flair to pull off this addled, juvenile diva shit show we've been living with for decades.

5 hours ago, Vic Mackey said:

What would those 2 guys be like with Garrett gone? That should have been answered after the Jets loss.

Garrett and this staff was pretty much done after the Jets loss. That was the real nail, coming off of two tough losses needing a big rebound. That told us all we needed to know. They repeated the same cycle again just to make extra sure it was over for this entire staff.

Like I said, Garrett couldn't coordinate his way out of a paper bag, never could, so the scheme and implimentation aren't solely on him by any stretch. His occasional veto power of a play in a key situation comes nowhere near excusing the total collapse on both sides of the ball and everything in between. The coordinators did that. It was theirs to run. It is no one or two plays, it was the whole fn' game. They don't know what to do. They can't adjust. They are lost. The philosophy on both sides just doesn't work, and that's all about the guys in charge of running each side of the ball, with Garret responsible for overseeing them, but is clueless to do anything about it. There is nobody on this team that can fix this mess.

Edited by DougO

3 hours ago, Junior Miller said:

I think it's pretty obvious Garrett isn't calling the plays as he never speaks into his headset, but if you're a lame duck head coach without a new contract and your team starts losing wouldn't you take over and call the plays yourself? I'm surprised he hasn't. Unless he's just so worn out by having to be Jerry's puppet after 13 years and $60+ million (above board) in pay he just wants it to be over and doesn't give a shit. 

You don’t have to call the plays during the game when you ave the ability to control what you call by way of being the fucking head coach and commanding it during the game prep 

6 hours ago, Tired Horn said:

Forget playing football. We can't even do a basic thing like firing a coach right. Most organizations know that they've decided to fire their coach, and they either just do it or shutup about it until the day after the season ends. But not Dallas. No, we have to have our "look at me" whacko GM doing some silly, half-ass Hamlet routine. One week he's issuing terse, annoyed threats that this might be, maybe could be, the end of the line; the next he's all teary eyed and blubbering about what a great guy the coach is, and how he's certain to keep him if he just goes on some epic win streak that no one outside of Jerry can even talk about with a straight face. Just fire him already or shut the hell up.

It's not the lack of playoff success, or simply losing itself, that's most wearing on a Cowboy fan. It's the fact that every single thing involving Jerry becomes some mangled clusterfuck that gives sportswriters nationwide the chance to write columns about how pathetic we are.  I'm certainly not one of those foreseeing a blissful future under Stephen, but I'll give him this--he hasn't shown the flair to pull off this addled, juvenile diva shit show we've been living with for decades.

It's the fact that most football fans don't have any idea who owns most franchises.  The owners should sit back and count their money, but the owner of our favorite football team can't just write checks and get handed trophies like Bob Kraft. He has to be the smartest person in the room...any fucking room that he happens to be in at any given time.  JJ can die in a fucking fire for ruining what should be my enjoyment of my favorite football team since I was born.  I can take the losing.  I just can't take the "I know better than you" bullshit that we get fed by JJ every fucking year despite evidence to the contrary.  I'm beyond ready for the son of a bitch to shuffle off of this planet in the hopes that his son has taken notes from what actual successful organizations around the NFL have done...hire a good GM and hire a strong coach and sit back and count your money, bang whores, and collect trophies.  It really isn't as difficult as JJ makes it.  

9 minutes ago, Hate said:

I'm beyond ready for the son of a bitch to shuffle off of this planet in the hopes that his son has taken notes from what actual successful organizations around the NFL have done...hire a good GM and hire a strong coach and sit back and count your money, bang whores, and collect trophies.

yes, jerry will die eventually, but our nightmare is not close to over.  stephen is only 55.  good chance he will still be the GM of this team in 2040 and beyond.  and then spaulding after that.  the jones family has america’s team by the balls until the NFL dissolves.

It's the fact that most football fans don't have any idea who owns most franchises.  The owners should sit back and count their money, but the owner of our favorite football team can't just write checks and get handed trophies like Bob Kraft. He has to be the smartest person in the room...any fucking room that he happens to be in at any given time.  JJ can die in a fucking fire for ruining what should be my enjoyment of my favorite football team since I was born.  I can take the losing.  I just can't take the "I know better than you" bullshit that we get fed by JJ every fucking year despite evidence to the contrary.  I'm beyond ready for the son of a bitch to shuffle off of this planet in the hopes that his son has taken notes from what actual successful organizations around the NFL have done...hire a good GM and hire a strong coach and sit back and count your money, bang whores, and collect trophies.  It really isn't as difficult as JJ makes it.  

Username once again checks out

Hiring a college coach is not a good idea. Jones needs to get someone off a top playoff team who knows exactly what he'll be up against. The pro game is more complex, the talent is better. A competitive salary and a promise of free rein will make the Cowboys the most attractive situation for any coordinator ready to move up. The Jones Boys just need to make the right choice for once (okay, Jimmy Johnson was the right choice, but Jones just got lucky.)

6 minutes ago, Irish Wrist Watch said:

Hiring a college coach is not a good idea. Jones needs to get someone off a top playoff team who knows exactly what he'll be up against. The pro game is more complex, the talent is better. A competitive salary and a promise of free rein will make the Cowboys the most attractive situation for any coordinator ready to move up. The Jones Boys just need to make the right choice for once (okay, Jimmy Johnson was the right choice, but Jones just got lucky.)

200.webp?cid=790b76112c0177ac8cf9c0c6056

Can I have some of what you're smoking? 

2 hours ago, Irish Wrist Watch said:

Shut up, Ice Cream Float. 

11 hours ago, youdunnf'dup said:

I’m giving LVE a pass for this year. He’s going through some shit, and I imagine it was hard for him to play up to his potential this year. Maybe he would’ve just been like everyone else and regressed, but he’s going through it physically...

He was playing like shit before he got hurt.

4 minutes ago, youdunnf'dup said:

Can we really pinpoint when he got “hurt” though? I agree for the most part, but I bet he’s been dealing with this shit for a lot longer than we expect.

It was a red flag in the draft so to have a lost year already in his 2nd year is extremely concerning.  Agree with Doug, he was over running plays and not playing with proper technique pretty much all year and before it was reported he was having issues with the neck.  Maybe he hurt it in TC., but then that would create even more questions.  

My main point is I don’t think he’s nearly as lost and worthless as Jaylen Smith if not for the neck. I trust that LVE is having a sophomore slump and he can figure it out. The neck though. Who the fuck knows about that.

I think Jaylen is legitimately lost, and will never improve in coverage. But he’ll do his celebration bullshit no matter what, because he needs you to know it was him that made that play.

On 12/7/2019 at 3:42 PM, youdunnf'dup said:

How would y’all feel about Matt Rhule? Wasn’t he an assistant in the NFL before he took over at Temple? I have no idea, and don’t feel like doing the research, so correct me if I’m wrong. 

I would absolutely be on board with this. Kill two birds with one stone. Make Dallas better and weaken Baylor. 

Urban Meyer confessed a few years ago that coaching had wrecked his emotional and physical health, one of the issues that have resulted in his multiple retirements. What do you think coaching the Cowboys for Jerry Jones would do?

The flaw in your reasoning is that you believed words said by urban Meyer were true.
  • Like 2

On 12/8/2019 at 12:30 AM, youdunnf'dup said:

My main point is I don’t think he’s nearly as lost and worthless as Jaylen Smith if not for the neck. I trust that LVE is having a sophomore slump and he can figure it out. The neck though. Who the fuck knows about that.

I think Jaylen is legitimately lost, and will never improve in coverage. But he’ll do his celebration bullshit no matter what, because he needs you to know it was him that made that play.

I think both are going to be worthless. Both of them were taken off the boards by many teams because of serious injury concerns. LVE has been dealing with what ended Irvin's career. He will always be dealing with it. It was an extremely questionable pick to begin with and now looks to be even worse. But in usual Dallas fashion, Jerry can't help himself with his Blue Light Specials.

So if Philly wins tonight that means the cowboys probably have to win 2 of the final 3 with away at Philly being one of those wins.

There's very little chance they're beating a Rams team that just woke up and is slaughtering fools now. 

Means last two games against Philly and a redskins team playing much better of late are must wins. 

1 hour ago, Vic Mackey said:

I think both are going to be worthless. Both of them were taken off the boards by many teams because of serious injury concerns. LVE has been dealing with what ended Irvin's career. He will always be dealing with it. It was an extremely questionable pick to begin with and now looks to be even worse. But in usual Dallas fashion, Jerry can't help himself with his Blue Light Specials.

What a short time span that I was happy with our linebackers. It seemed we had the best in the league and then its gone in less than 1/2 a season.

7 minutes ago, youdunnf'dup said:

Could’ve had young-ho koo or chase Mclaughlin if we acted on this at the right time (like in training camp) but whatever. Too little too late.

This x 1000.  Someone last week was trying to defend keeping Maher because there were no good kickers out there, but these 2 guys were found in the last month and they're perfectly mediocre.  Forbath is a shitty kicker and it'll be funny when he goes 2/4 in FGs with a missed XP.  This is simply a poor player personnel decision because they weren't ready to improve when they should have been ready to move on from Maher at the drop of a hat.

Edited by Patrick Bateman

31 minutes ago, babysdaddy said:

Thanks God.  Any of you that want the eagles to win and put us out of our misery need to suck it up.  Winning the division, even if we suck dick and hate our owner/coach/gm/players/etc, is better than the fucking eagles winning the division.  

28 minutes ago, Iceman said:

Truth.

That would be the only redeeming part of this 2019 season is being absolutely shittacular and still teabagging the other slogs in the NFC East in the Division race.

Nah.  Fuck that shit.  Let it burn, let it burn down completely. 

I say lose out get the best draft pick possible.  This isn't college.  Rivalries in professional sports mean practically nothing these days.  A division championship does not equal a conference championship and you have to build your team through the draft.  You don't get to recruit players based on results.

That is rivalries in professional American sports.  I have no idea how it works in other leagues around the world.