Dallas | Spanish

Landomatic

Not sure this is worth a whole thread as I think there are only two places in town (Cafe Madrid & Si Tapas) at least to my knowledge.  If there are others, I'd love to hear about them.

But, looks like a new player is coming to town which sounds pretty cool...

Famous fancy Spanish ham opens first U.S. restaurant-shop in Dallas

Spoiler

Some world-famous ham is coming to Dallas. A new gourmet shop by Enrique Tomás, who oversees the largest collection of Spanish Jamón Ibérico gourmet shops in the world, will open a location in Dallas at 2822 Henderson Ave., which locals will recall is the former Mesero space, in the fall.

Jamón Ibérico is Spain's signature cured ham. It's an expensive foodie thing. Enrique Tomás specializes in Jamón Ibérico and has more than 100 shops, mostly in Spain, plus locations in London, Paris, Rome, and Mexico City.

This is not only the first shop in Dallas for this Spain-based company, it's the first location in the United States. The Dallas shop will sell the ham retail, and also house an adjoining bar and restaurant.

The launch is being headed up by local businessman and SMU alumni Ricardo Sieveking. According to a release, he's super-duper into Jamón.

"In Spain, Jamón Ibérico is not just something to eat, it is an integral part of the culture and everyday life," Sieveking says in a statement. "We look forward to introducing Dallas to the true Spanish Jamón, which has previously been hard to find at such a high level of quality."

Sieveking says that Enrique Tomás chose Dallas as the first market in the U.S. "because of its strong ties to Spain and its community of food lovers with exquisite palates." Huh. Do we even have two tapas restaurants right now?

The restaurant will be full-service and will feature contemporary Spanish cuisine, wines, and a mixology program.

In Spain, restaurants place a Jamón leg on display, cutting thin strips to order. Enrique Tomás will sell the Jamón not only by slice, but also by boneless piece, or in whole legs if you're really feeling hammy, and along with cheeses and wines.

Here's a trippy thing: Customers can rent a cellar onsite. So you buy a leg, then keep it stored there, like a cellar for your wine.

Sieveking says that Enrique Tomás will be a destination for Spanish food – "in the restaurant, through catering and in our pre-packaged retail space," he says. "It is important to us to share Spain's extraordinary Jamón culture, while truly immersing ourselves in the Dallas community."

Edited by Landomatic

This is very cool and I look forward to it.  They have Iberico at Central Market, but I bet something like this will take it to another level.

The only other Spanish place I know is Izkina in Deep Ellum.  It's definitely a bar that serves tapas as snacks, but that is more or less how it's done in Spain.  Not high end at all, but the one time I went, the food was good even if the place was a bit disorganized.  We are definitely missing the foodie Spanish experience (especially since Flores' place in Trinity Groves place closed).

13 minutes ago, Zepol87 said:

How is si tapas? Only ever been to Cafe madrid

Si Tapas is better in my opinion.  It’s been a while since I’ve been there because I can walk to Cafe Madrid from my house, but Cafe Madrid is starting to slip a little and my memory of Si Tapas is that it was really really solid.  Si Tapas is also great place to watch soccer from what I hear.  You know, if you’re into that type of thing.

• Like 1

This could go in the Bishop Arts thread too, but here come Pinchos/Pinxtos.

Sketches will specialize in "Pinchos," a more sophisticated version of Spanish tapas, typically found in the north of Spain. Pinchos often use toothpicks; "pinchar" means "to pierce."

"It will be a casual place to eat and drink," he says. "We like places that serve several purposes, and this one will be no different. Whether you want to have a full meal, a bite or just have a few drinks with a friend, this place will accommodate that."

It's from the Wild Detectives guys, so I'm intrigued and hopeful.  They hit a home run there.  If they capture the unique feel of that place with good food and wine, this will be be terrific and very Spanish.

Sketches of Spain

• 1 month later...