Vaping Sickness "epidemic"

F250

The current count seems to be a little over 200 people being hit with this mysterious vaping pneumonia across the country. A lot of misinformation seems to be pouring out right now. Last I heard all of the patients had been vaping THC. Sounds like some bad chemicals were used in the process.

The fallout from this will be interesting.

https://amp.cnn.com/cnn/2019/08/29/health/milwaukee-stop-vaping-trnd/index.html

I don't vape.  i hate smokers in general.  Both animals tend to be irreverent towards anyone else having to smell that foul shit.

That being said, how many of these "injuries" are from people doing something other than regular vaping, I.e. controlled substances?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Iceman said:

I don't vape.  i hate smokers in general.  Both animals tend to be irreverent towards anyone else having to smell that foul shit.

That being said, how many of these "injuries" are from people doing something other than regular vaping, I.e. controlled substances?

It would appear all of them.  Vaping has been pretty widespread for at least five years without any epidemics and very few injuries other than dipshits shorting batteries.

I suspect someone was cooking up some resin or some shit, left some ether or kerosene in the resin and sold it to people to vape.

28 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

I suspect someone was cooking up some resin or some shit, left some ether or kerosene in the resin and sold it to people to vape.

This seems likely. Somebody is making uh, 'off-label', THC vape cartridges, and some bad contaminants get in, possibly bad solvents.

On 8/30/2019 at 9:23 PM, mchookem said:

flower or oil? i do both...but all my product came from legal dispensaries 🤔

This makes a huge difference. In states where weed is illegal, there are tons of fake vape cartridges being sold on the black market.

Sellers buy empty vape cartridges, fake vape labels online, and fill the cartridges up with stuff that can have tons of chemicals. These cartridges look real and people think they are from legal dispensaries from out of state. 

• Like 1

On 8/30/2019 at 6:31 PM, TwiceHorn said:

tenor.gif?itemid=5392040&f=1

On a serious note, I vaped nicotine to quit dipping.  It worked.

I'm kind of following this because it's an interesting and sort of paradigmatic regulation story.  I think big tobacco is pulling a lot of strings behind the scenes, and we've got the American shibboleth "who will think of the children" in heavy rotation, second only to "tough on crime" for justifying all kinds of legislative and regulatory nonsense to the stupid American electorate.

It's going to make quite a case study.

For the record, nicotine vape largely consists of polyethylene glycol, vegetable glycerin, nicotine USP, and a flavor.  The PG and VG turn to water vapor when heated and seem to be fairly harmless.  The water vapor carries the nicotine and flavor into the mouth and lungs.  There seems to be some potential for nastiness in the flavorings, but they are in small amounts.  The "industry," such as it is, seems to be responsive in removing questionable flavorings from products.

While it may not be completely harmless, it is so many orders of magnitude less harmful than inhaling combustion products, anyone who looks at it without an agenda (NHS) has to consider it a positive.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

On a serious note, I vaped nicotine to quit dipping.  It worked.

I'm kind of following this because it's an interesting and sort of paradigmatic regulation story.  I think big tobacco is pulling a lot of strings behind the scenes, and we've got the American shibboleth "who will think of the children" in heavy rotation, second only to "tough on crime" for justifying all kinds of legislative and regulatory nonsense to the stupid American electorate.

It's going to make quite a case study.

For the record, nicotine vape largely consists of polyethylene glycol, vegetable glycerin, nicotine USP, and a flavor.  The PG and VG turn to water vapor when heated and seem to be fairly harmless.  The water vapor carries the nicotine and flavor into the mouth and lungs.  There seems to be some potential for nastiness in the flavorings, but they are in small amounts.  The "industry," such as it is, seems to be responsive in removing questionable flavorings from products.

While it may not be completely harmless, it is so many orders of magnitude less harmful than inhaling combustion products, anyone who looks at it without an agenda (NHS) has to consider it a positive.

I should make a technical correction.  Vaping doesn't boil the PG and VG, that is, induce a phase change as does boiling water.  It is a heated chemical oxidation reaction akin to combustion, but the products are water vapor and CO2.  So it is incorrect to contrast it with "combustion products."  I suppose "solid combustion products," like actually burning tobacco or even weed would be a more accurate comparison.

16 minutes ago, tbone_ said:

So are the cigarette companies converting all their tobacco fields to weed now?

This would be.... I mean it would suck for the little guys and all, and the overall quality would probably suffer, etc, but dropping by the gas station and picking up a pack of perfectly machine rolled, mass produced Marlboro Greens, or whatever they would call them, has some appeal. 

They'd put some sort of crazy chemical preservatives in them though I'm sure.  Probably nicotine too, or something else that's addictive to make sure people keep buying them.

On 8/30/2019 at 4:48 PM, F250 said:

The current count seems to be a little over 200 people being hit with this mysterious vaping pneumonia across the country. A lot of misinformation seems to be pouring out right now. Last I heard all of the patients had been vaping THC. Sounds like some bad chemicals were used in the process.

The fallout from this will be interesting.

https://amp.cnn.com/cnn/2019/08/29/health/milwaukee-stop-vaping-trnd/index.html

On 8/30/2019 at 5:14 PM, ztejas said:

IncomparableDisguisedEnglishpointer-size

The new millennium version of the dreaded........ paraquat poisoning.

7 minutes ago, ztejas said:

My point is I think pot sells fine on its own. They dont need to "add" anything. More teens/young adults smoke weed than cigarettes these days. 

Toss some nicotine in there and make sure, at least as much as possible, they keep smoking on a regular basis when they aren't teens/young adults anymore.  Replace your daily pack with new, healthier Marlboro Greens!  

39 minutes ago, MadBurgerMaker said:

Toss some nicotine in there and make sure, at least as much as possible, they keep smoking on a regular basis when they aren't teens/young adults anymore.  Replace your daily pack with new, healthier Marlboro Greens!  

You can't just put nicotine in a product without disclosing it. I guess they could sell spliffs as well as marijuana-only joints.