Vaping Sickness "epidemic"

F250

As someone who regularly vapes THC, this stuff has me pretty worried. I stick to buying from 3 brands - all of whom have exemplary independent lab testing results - and only from CA licensed distributors. Still, it has made me reevaluate this as a long-term mode of consuming THC. It wouldn't surprise me to see some study 10-20 years out that concludes "yeah, this shit is really fucking bad for your lungs."

1 hour ago, Foosters said:

As someone who regularly vapes THC, this stuff has me pretty worried. I stick to buying from 3 brands - all of whom have exemplary independent lab testing results - and only from CA licensed distributors. Still, it has made me reevaluate this as a long-term mode of consuming THC. It wouldn't surprise me to see some study 10-20 years out that concludes "yeah, this shit is really fucking bad for your lungs."

roooolll ....another one..... just like the other one.... you been holding on to it................ and I sure wooooooould liiike uhhh hit........

• 2 weeks later...

Just saw this:

CDC: Number Of Cases Of Vaping-Related Illness Exceeds 1,000

The New York Times (10/3, Grady) reported that on Thursday, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said vaping-related illness had increased to 1,080 cases, which is up by 275 cases from the previous week. In addition, the resultant death toll had risen to 19 as of Thursday. The article said that while “the exact cause” remains unknown, many affected “have vaped THC,” while some have vaped both THC and nicotine, and others say they have only vaped nicotine.

The AP (10/3, Stobbe) reported that as of Thursday, there have been cases reported in all states except Alaska and New Hampshire. Physicians “say the illnesses, which first appeared in March, resemble an inhalation injury.”

• 1 month later...
5 hours ago, BBQ2Bayou said:

I thought that too, but I swore I heard on the news tonight that only 23 out of the 50 something deaths had THC in their system.  Maybe I misheard that? 

Not exactly. 28 were tested. THC was found in 23. The other 5 might have had it processed out of their system, used black market nicotine products or something else. 

https://reason.com/2019/11/08/more-evidence-that-black-market-thc-products-are-to-blame-for-vaping-related-lung-injuries/

THC or its metabolites were detected in 23 of 28 patient BAL [bronchoscopy and bronchoalveolar lavage] samples, including in those of three patients who said they did not use THC products."

• 3 months later...

Not epidemic related, but given that general vaping discussion was occurring in this thread, Juul may be properly fucked.

From Ars Technica: "Juul bought ads on CartoonNetwork.com, NickJr.com, other kid sites, suit says".

Specifically, the Massachusetts Attorney General alleges that Juul rejected advertising agency suggestions to focus on older models in favor of cool, young models. Even more damning are allegations that Juul bought adds on sites like Cartoon Network, Nick Jr., etc.

Like I said before, if you want to do away with disposable ecigs and even replaceable coils, go right the fuck on ahead and you'll see a huge reduction of teen vaping.

Do that and it'll be like the only cigarettes you can buy are ones you have to roll by hand. No teenager in this "on demand" culture we live in is going to want to do/ learn all that. Plus they'd have to actually build something by hand on an every other day basis and have one more thing they have to make sure has enough battery throughout the day. That's... just. Like, too difficult. 

4 hours ago, Serak The Preparer said:

Not epidemic related, but given that general vaping discussion was occurring in this thread, Juul may be properly fucked.

From Ars Technica: "Juul bought ads on CartoonNetwork.com, NickJr.com, other kid sites, suit says".

Specifically, the Massachusetts Attorney General alleges that Juul rejected advertising agency suggestions to focus on older models in favor of cool, young models. Even more damning are allegations that Juul bought adds on sites like Cartoon Network, Nick Jr., etc.

that frankly sounds ridiculous. if that's true they probably need to be sued/locked up/whatever. however, it's a one-sided court document with claims that seem "too good to be true". I'd take a wait and see approach before I believe one side over the other.

On 9/25/2019 at 4:15 AM, Foosters said:

Get a Pax 3. It’s a hand held flower or concentrate vape that you can load yourself. I have one and I love it. I got it for that same reason, don’t really like the idea of using pre loaded vape cartridges long term. There’s a few other brands that make similar products all you have to do is some online research to find them. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Buzzrock said:

So as long as one buys oil from reputable makers who don’t use Vitamin E (or any other fillers) then one should be good right? Asking for a friend.

Basically, yes. But the only way to ensure you're buying a legit cartridge is by purchasing at a licensed shop. That's it. There are shops all over CA that are unlicensed selling fake cartridges. Unless you do your due diligence, it's not that easy to tell the legit shops from illegitimate.

If you're buying from a friend who "promises" that they're legit from Cali, I wouldn't touch em.

Also, even if you are buying a legit cartridge from a legit shop, you also need to do some research into which companies have been found by independent labs to have all sorts of pesticides and other horrible shit floating around the oil.

7 hours ago, Serak The Preparer said:

I don't know about Nick, Jr or the other sites, but Cartoon Network spends half the time as Adult Swim. If Juul bought time during [as] I don't see a problem.

First, as @Viper states, these are allegations, not proof. But the allegation is that the ads were not on the tv channel Cartoon Network, but on the website. There may be more "adult" sections on that site, I haven't spent any time there, but I imagine the website attracts a younger audience (for streaming shows, playing games, etc.).

2 hours ago, Johnny Chimpo said:

Get a Pax 3. It’s a hand held flower or concentrate vape that you can load yourself. I have one and I love it. I got it for that same reason, don’t really like the idea of using pre loaded vape cartridges long term. There’s a few other brands that make similar products all you have to do is some online research to find them. 

Is the Pax 3 better than the Pax 2? I use mine so little I forget I even own the damn thing

12 minutes ago, immortal13 said:

Is the Pax 3 better than the Pax 2? I use mine so little I forget I even own the damn thing

Well I honestly couldn’t compare the two since I’ve never used the 2 but the battery has never run out on me when I take it out for a day of skiing or out to the bars and a bowl lasts 10-15 hits. You can adjust the vape temp in 4 increments. I usually start at 50% and increase as I deplete the bowl. Overall it’s handy and discreet enough to meet my needs. 

1 minute ago, Johnny Chimpo said:

Well I honestly couldn’t compare the two since I’ve never used the 2 but the battery has never run out on me when I take it out for a day of skiing or out to the bars and a bowl lasts 10-15 hits. You can adjust the vape temp in 4 increments. I usually start at 50% and increase as I deplete the bowl. Overall it’s handy and discreet enough to meet my needs. 

Do you use it just for bud?

2 hours ago, Johnny Chimpo said:

Have one as well. Do you travel with yours by chance?