2018 - Elections and Trends

atomheartbevo

1 hour ago, Firemans4Horn said:

A contributor at 538 rightly pointed out that it should be called “election fraud” in NC not voter fraud. Because voter fraud is extremely rare and those pols that run around screaming about it are mostly idiots. 

i think also the point was that in this instance, it wasn't voters committing fraud.  it was the republican party.

• Like 1

Not quite sure where this should go so I'll put it here.  Pardon if not apropos.

The two-party system is doomed. It makes the world look too simple, too black-and-white. What’s happening with the G.O.P., and what I suspect will be happening to the Democrats, are reactions to the fact that the rainbow of people’s views in the twenty-first century cannot be fitted into two political parties. Some people remain loyal to the party structure, but those who think more actively start saying, “Wait a second, that’s not what we are about.”

We are living through the eighteen-fifties, in some sense. The Democrats split into the North and the South, and this reflected the main issues. But it’s instructive to look at how the Whigs split into Republicans and Know-Nothings. An anti-immigration party! A new political system was being born, even if it did revert to the two-party system. There have been some mighty third-party efforts since: in 1892, in 1912. The system was more complex until it was reduced to a total two-party algorithm. Though, at a few key points, a third force made a difference. In 1968, Wallace ended up helping Nixon by taking votes away from Humphrey. And there was 1992, and 2000—

And 2016.

Garry Kasparov Says We Are Living in Chaos, But Remains an Incorrigible Optimist

13 minutes ago, Larry T. Spider said:

It’s easy when your base is a bunch of drooling, Fox News obsessed, geriatrics that will vote R no matter what.

larry, larry, we're not talking about leading the dullards around by the nostrils.  we're talking about outright election fraud.

also, you have to love what kasparov is saying.  the party system is an open invitation for fraud.

How would these people be held accountable for this fraud? The dullards vote for them, they appoint people that oversee the public systems such as elections, they appoint the judges, etc. Judges that aren’t appointed are elected by the same dullards. Maybe the feds should step in. Wait. The guy running the country was elected by the same dullards. They’re gummin up the works.

11 hours ago, Celery Man said:

I told my sons the other night who will both be voting in 1 year and 4 years respectively that because of crap like this in Wisconsin, Michigan and North Carolina they aren’t allowed to vote for a Republican for the next 20-25 years. They both easily agreed and both thought this kind of stuff is complete crap.

And unlike the right wing trolls claim on this board, they both know that I’m not some “lib” and that I used to vote republican back when I ignorantly thought it was a party that meant for something I agreed with.

The GOP is fucked in the future and they know it. That’s why they are trying to dismantle democracy before it happens. They want apartheid. 

• Like 4

14 hours ago, Celery Man said:

H-E-Buddy is my homey tho

5 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

Except when his machines aren’t working and your kids are pissed.  

F those machines.  The most perfect example of the snowflake everyone gets a trophy world we live in.  It used to be a claw machine...which allowed the kid to employ some strategy and skill of placement to get the best prize ball (my son got to be a master). When it became the random wheel of spinning luck, he said "fuck this shit," and our HEBuddy days were over.

Leslie McCrae Dowless, the man at the center of election fraud allegations that have roiled North Carolina’s 9th Congressional District, has a long and colorful history as a political operative in the district.

The candidates he works for often perform better than expected among absentee voters in one of the district's counties, one reason he’s been hired by a variety of political campaigns over the years.

On Friday, the board publicly named Dowless a person of interest in its investigation although it has been looking into activities surrounding Dowless since at least 2016.

Much of the concern from this past election center on Harris’s commanding advantage in absentee ballot results in Bladen County, a rural area between Fayetteville and Wilmington in the southeastern part of the state.

The Republican won more than 61 percent of Bladen County’s mail-in ballots, a puzzling margin considering just 19 percent of accepted mail-in ballots belonged to registered Republican voters.

Other possible anomalies in the absentee ballot data, including in nearby Robeson County, have also raised questions among experts and investigators.

Dowless’s stated specialty is his “get-out-the-vote” efforts, specifically with absentee ballots in Bladen County.

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/elections/man-center-north-carolina-election-fraud-allegations-has-complicated-past-n945511

• Like 1

On 12/7/2018 at 1:58 PM, SuingToGetAMessageBoard? said:

This would be wild.  Any precedent for this?

Why should this guy get to be involved in a new vote.   He hired a guy with known questionable practices and didn’t bother to ask for details.  The vote from November should stand but Harris should be disqualified.   

When the election winner is saying they’re ok with a new vote, that tells you that they’re worried about other options.

On 12/7/2018 at 12:07 PM, Brisketexan said:

F those machines.  The most perfect example of the snowflake everyone gets a trophy world we live in.  It used to be a claw machine...which allowed the kid to employ some strategy and skill of placement to get the best prize ball (my son got to be a master). When it became the random wheel of spinning luck, he said "fuck this shit," and our HEBuddy days were over.

Bar in Dana Point that I used to frequent had one of those claw machines...filled with lobsters.  Catch a lobster, and they'd cook it  for you.

Similar to this:

440e7d9599147d617a234c8f39764348.jpg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Gil Bang said:

Bar in Dana Point that I used to frequent had one of those claw machines...filled with lobsters.  Catch a lobster, and they'd cook it  for you.

Similar to this:

440e7d9599147d617a234c8f39764348.jpg

There was a bar in Charleston that had one of those back when I was in college. 

44% of districts with 48% of the vote. Even with as gerrymandered as Texas is, that's mighty impressive. My own, TX-21, shows the outcome to be 49.6% (Cruz) to 49.5% (Beto) which stretches out from liberal Central and South Austin to the uber-conservative Hill Country and traditionally country club Republican Alamo Heights was within a hair's margin.