2018 - Elections and Trends

atomheartbevo

45 minutes ago, GSU&UT said:

I seriously think he doesn't realize this is a party primary.

Max Rose could knock out Donovan in the usually red 11th in November.  Trump is putting a lot of NYC area red seats in jeopardy. Rose is a veteran and the perfect Dem candidate to work on SI/Brooklyn. 

This is where the progressive machine usually drops the ball. That Ocasio DSA GOTV team needs to be out there for Rose in the general even if he isnt their perfect candidate. Instead, theyll leave it alone, Donovan will win and a potential ally will be lost. 

55 minutes ago, 'stache said:

But we legalized medical marijuana. My anxiety just got clinical.

Every state south of the Mason Dixon line, that is west of the Mississippi River now has some form of legalized cannabis sales; all west coast state have it legal also...

Where-is-Marijuana-Legal-in-the-U.S.A.-3

1 hour ago, kopp0e said:

Every state south of the Mason Dixon line, that is west of the Mississippi River now has some form of legalized cannabis sales; all west coast state have it legal also...

Where-is-Marijuana-Legal-in-the-U.S.A.-3

The bigger news there is that Arkansas annexed Missouri. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

Fucking hilarious HOT TAKES that some people in the Midwest might not vote D because of AOC. 

Right, Joe Democrat in Wisconsin is v concerned with what the voters in Queens are doing. 

Political hot takes are becoming annoyingly awful. All politics are local. AOC fits NY-14. She’s not running for IA-3. Good grief. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Js1 said:

More Republican incumbents have lost already in primaries than Dermocrats. So....i think it must be a brown wave. 

They lie about everything.  Including the obvious.  And his supporters will believe this is a blue wave.  Because he says it.  No need to be remotely attached to reality.

Wow, just saw the Cortez upset. Amazing. Steve Schmidt was on Today and very clearly articulated what he thinks is happening. He said radicalism is taking root with both parties. It used to be about persuasion, but now it’s just about incitement.

He said it’s no longer left vs right, it’s now above the line (the rich, the powerful, the “system”) vs. below the line (the rest of the population). He said that enables Cortez-like candidates on the left and Trump-like candidates on the right. The middle is collapsing, which is bad for the country.

She and Crowley were on the same page for mostly all issues. He was an early adopter of $15 minimum wage and MFA. 

Oh you mean another candidate who wants to get corporate money out of politics won? That’s soooooo radical. Or maybe Bc she’s 28 and Latina. 

19 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

Wow, just saw the Cortez upset. Amazing. Steve Schmidt was on Today and very clearly articulated what he thinks is happening. He said radicalism is taking root with both parties. It used to be about persuasion, but now it’s just about incitement.

He said it’s no longer left vs right, it’s now above the line (the rich, the powerful, the “system”) vs. below the line (the rest of the population). He said that enables Cortez-like candidates on the left and Trump-like candidates on the right. The middle is collapsing, which is bad for the country.

Not sure how she's a "radical," but OK.

He is correct that a lot of what is going on now is a class struggle and not left vs. right.  

2 minutes ago, Aqua Buddha said:

He is correct that a lot of what is going on now is a class struggle and not left vs. right.  

Because she wants to put constituents ahead of donors.

She's practically a communist.

52 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

Why she won:

I wont say the ad had no effect at all, but it had very little. The large difference is that she campaigned, she called potential voters, she held events, she went and gotv.  He didn't even campaign at all, was absentee from the district and the city at large, and even ignored one of the scheduled debates. He might have even lost to a more conservative person with the lax effort he was putting in.  I'm not sure what he was thinking.  

16 minutes ago, Aqua Buddha said:

JFC. She isnt radical. She's just young. She has the same platform as who she will replace. The "Bernie effect" in districts like hers isnt about radicalism. It's about not waiting for "your turn" even when your congressman shares your views. And she will have big money donors now whether she wants them or not, she will go to the Mexican border like she did already, and she will tour to support Dem candidates elsewhere because she has "media darling" written all over her. And while that will set her up to be primaried herself by a similar candidate, most of it is simply part of the job. 

Edited by FondrenRoad
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, FondrenRoad said:

JFC. She isnt radical. She's just young. She has the same platform as who she will replace. The "Bernie effect" in districts like hers isnt about radicalism. It's about not waiting for "your turn" even when your congressman shares your views. 

Her platform is radical to an outsider looking in from a southern state but normal for that district. It also could be termed a radical shift going from the normal old white guy to young nonwhite female with a different work history than most.

10 minutes ago, FondrenRoad said:

I wont say the ad had no effect at all, but it had very little. The large difference is that she campaigned, she called potential voters, she held events, she went and gotv.  He didn't even campaign at all, was absentee from the district and the city at large, and even ignored one of the scheduled debates. He might have even lost to a more conservative person with the lax effort he was putting in.  I'm not sure what he was thinking.  

It wasn’t the ad that had the significant effect.  It was the messaging, which I’m sure she proliferated on the ground in person as much as possible.

Edited by Hugo Stiglitz

11 minutes ago, FondrenRoad said:

He might have even lost to a more conservative person with the lax effort he was putting in.  I'm not sure what he was thinking.  

The Clinton Strategy.  Noiiiice.

Edited by Tom

4 minutes ago, Brew said:

Her platform is radical to an outsider looking in from a southern state but normal for that district. It also could be termed a radical shift going from the normal old white guy to young nonwhite female with a different work history than most.

Sure, but Crowley wouldn't have come close to winning a southern district either. He was one of the most liberal members of Congress, if not the single most liberal. 

7 minutes ago, FondrenRoad said:

Sure, but Crowley wouldn't have come close to winning a southern district either. He was one of the most liberal members of Congress, if not the single most liberal. 

This.

Again - ALL POLITICS ARE LOCAL. Ocasio and Crowley fit NY-14.  You can't take Amy McGrath out of Kentucky, put her in Queens, and put Ocasio-Cortez in Lexington, KY, and win both races.  That's not how politics works.  I can't wait to watch Republicans try to tie her to Pelosi, who she has already said she isn't voting for.

This all amounts to nothing.  Ocasio Cortez will win in November.  What happens in Queens will not have any direct impact on the districts the Democrats are trying to flip.  If Republicans in suburban, highly educated districts in Virginia, California, New Jersey and the union household districts in Wisconsin, Iowa and Michigan want to take about Ocasio Cortez in Queens, they're going to lose. 

Edited by Js1

30 minutes ago, Aqua Buddha said:

Correct, And a majority of the USA is getting played like chumps unless you’re in the 0.1%.

Edited by Newdoc

Well, I know this comes as a shock to a lot of members of Congress, but Congressmen who don't visit their districts and who take elections for granted are going to lose in this environment.  In a district like NY14, in which the only competitive race is the primary, that means they are going to lose in the primary.  In other districts, that means they'll lose in the general.  But the lesson is the same.

I think that bodes real ill for guys like Pete Sessions, who hasn't even lived in his district in years (he lives with his girlfriend in Florida).

Yeah, they're comparing this to Cantor a few years ago but he was a dicksplat who rarely visited his district and when he did, he brought a Secret Service motorcade with him.

Still not sure how she's "radical" but Louis Gohmert and Steve King aren't.

Hey, 'member when Cantor lost in 2014 and the media were like "OMG GOP IN DISARRAY! RED WAVE NEUTRALIZED! They're eating their own and pushing the party further right" and in November, the GOP still gained 9 Senate seats and 13 House seats.

Yeah, I'm not going to listen to the media and the pundits spin this.  They're idiots then and idiots now. 

Edited by Js1
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Aqua Buddha said:

Yeah, they're comparing this to Cantor a few years ago but he was a dicksplat who rarely visited his district and when he did, he brought a Secret Service motorcade with him.

Still not sure how she's "radical" but Louis Gohmert and Steve King aren't.

Oh for sure, Crowley was barely in his district either. However, while she campaigned on that, she went to the Mexican border to protest, also not in their district. I'm sure she will be down there more now as well as being in DC. Out of all the complaints, the "lives in DC" complaint that anti-incumbents use has always seemed stupid to me. Of course he does. So will you. It's a federal position, not city council. 

That being said, a TX rep residing in FL should be run out of town on a rail. 

1 hour ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

Why she won:

I disagree tremendously with her policy proposals. I mean honestly speaking they're terrible.

But this is a great ad and is 100% true when it talks about #ONEOFUS and how communities need one of their own representing them. One more reason that the number of representatives needs to be increased.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

I disagree tremendously with her policy proposals. I mean honestly speaking they're terrible.

But this is a great ad and is 100% true when it talks about #ONEOFUS and how communities need one of their own representing them. One more reason that the number of representatives needs to be increased.

2018 is shaping up to be a populist wave if anything.  One-of-us plays into that perfectly.

Edited by JBJ

52 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Hey, 'member when Cantor lost in 2014 and the media were like "OMG GOP IN DISARRAY! RED WAVE NEUTRALIZED! They're eating their own and pushing the party further right" and in November, the GOP still gained 9 Senate seats and 13 House seats.

Yeah, I'm not going to listen to the media and the pundits spin this.  They're idiots then and idiots now. 

But do you disagree that the GOP was pushed further right? From my perspective, that is exactly what happened and they gained seats. The hope of those of us on the left is that victories like this will push the Democratic Party further to the left AND enable them to gain seats. Stop focusing on moderation and trying to appeal to "sane Republicans" with centrist policies and civility and focus on leftists who haven't had a voice in the Democratic Party in a very long time. I hope this is just the beginning but that remains to be seen.

I agree with you 100% regarding the media and pundits. 24 hours ago, the vast majority of them had never heard of Ocasio-Cortez.

• Like 1