Rick Beato's YouTube channel is a must-subscribe

Rimbo

• 4 weeks later...

I started watching his channel after I saw his "what makes this song great" video on 'Closer to the Heart.' I love that series and have enjoyed every video, even if I didn't really know (or like) the song.
The rest of his content is hit or miss for me. Some of the theory is over my head but I have enjoyed his Top Intros and other series a lot. Definitely highly recommended.

• 1 month later...

I just found this channel last week, linked from another message board to his "What Makes This Song So Great" for xtc's "Mayor of Simpleton".  I agree, this is crack, have been binging all afternoon.  I like the music theory videos, gonna send those to my son, been trying to teach him some classic country songs, and he doesn't get it when I just tell him I, IV, V, II, etc....

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I came across one of his videos last year and next thing I knew I watched like 10 in a row. What I like about it is that he makes the music side of it approachable for non-musicians like me who just like music. I’ll also give him some credit for inspiring me to go learn an instrument this year.

• Hook 'Em 1

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
5 hours ago, Rimbo said:

Watch all the way through from the start. EJ doing the "Stairway" solo is at the end. Enjoy the buildup...then get ready to be blown the fuck away.

I thought about posting this yesterday, but wasn’t sure if anyone else watched that channel.  You’re right, it’s an interesting idea, but the whole thing really was just waiting to see how EJ would interpret that space. He is still amazing. He makes it look and sound almost effortless. 

• Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, Whitewater Horn said:

I thought about posting this yesterday, but wasn’t sure if anyone else watched that channel.  You’re right, it’s an interesting idea, but the whole thing really was just waiting to see how EJ would interpret that space. He is still amazing. He makes it look and sound almost effortless. 

He actually messed up in a couple of places, but his interpretation was amazing.

Now that I've heard someone mimic EVH (it wasn't bad at all) I really want to hear the real live EVH do this.

• Haha 1

On 9/15/2020 at 8:22 AM, HoustonHorn said:

I have to avoid watching one video because I'll end up watching 10. Love these even though I don't understand alot if the technical music stood. He does a great job of explaining.

He has a lot of beginner-level videos, too. Love his series on modes.

48 minutes ago, Rimbo said:

He actually messed up in a couple of places, but his interpretation was amazing.

Now that I've heard someone mimic EVH (it wasn't bad at all) I really want to hear the real live EVH do this.

I wish my “messing up in a couple of places” sounded like Eric Johnson’s messing up in a couple places. 

• Hook 'Em 1

12 hours ago, Rimbo said:

Watch all the way through from the start. EJ doing the "Stairway" solo is at the end. Enjoy the buildup...then get ready to be blown the fuck away.

Thanks for posting this. I actually thought Rick's Frampton-inspired solo was the best, laughed a bunch during the EVH imitation/parody, and got nostalgic during EJ's rendition.

What a superb idea for a video. Great content!

53 minutes ago, bernorange said:

He's an Austin original.  Worth checking out if you liked what you heard.

1 hour ago, gsoda3 said:

that was really cool.  i don't know who eric johnson is but i really enjoyed his melodic interplay.

Yeah, start with the classics, pretty much anything from Ah Via Musicom**. Bet you've heard at least a few and didn't know it.

(** I'm advocating for EJ as a musician, not so much a vocalist.)

3 hours ago, Rimbo said:

Well... so much for THAT wish.

On 10/6/2020 at 1:23 AM, Rimbo said:

Eric Johnson was fucking amazing.  And PhilX doing EVH was spot on.

• 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
11 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

For those in the know, how does he get copies of the separate tracks?  Or is he using some kind of software or hardware wizardry?  

Because in a lot of these videos, he is able to isolate it to individual instruments and voices, and I'm curious how he does that.

i suspect for some of them, he's just getting the stems from producer buddies or industry contacts.  he doesn't have them for all the songs he does.

• Hook 'Em 1

For those in the know, how does he get copies of the separate tracks?  Or is he using some kind of software or hardware wizardry?  
Because in a lot of these videos, he is able to isolate it to individual instruments and voices, and I'm curious how he does that.

May not be the case for all of them but there was definitely some software in use for these.

On 6/3/2021 at 9:21 PM, atomheartbevo said:

Quite a lot of speculation as to how he gets them in the thread above.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 6/4/2021 at 10:24 AM, sidis said:

i suspect for some of them, he's just getting the stems from producer buddies or industry contacts.  he doesn't have them for all the songs he does.

That's what I wondered, because some are amazingly pristine, and while I doubt they are the originals, they sound pretty close (and I wonder if he's covered any Universal artist after the 2008 fire).

My second sentence wasn't clear, but I was referring to what HiggyBaby said below, about it sometimes sounds like he's isolating them on his own - the Comfortablty Numb video sounded kind of like he was using some kind of software, because it wasn't clean and sounded "warped", like instruments/voices were bleeding through or whatever.

18 hours ago, HiggyBaby said:

May not be the case for all of them but there was definitely some software in use for these.

Comfortably Numb made me wonder if that was the case for some.  Some of what he played sounded......odd.

2 minutes ago, Goredho said:
Quite a lot of speculation as to how he gets them in the thread above.

Thanks for that thread, that clears up a lot.

• Hook 'Em 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/10/2021 at 8:32 AM, atomheartbevo said:

Just out of curiosity, he's got over 200 credits on AllMusic, so yeah, he's definitely been around and knows a helluva lot of people that could get him stems, etc.

https://www.allmusic.com/artist/rick-beato-mn0000357243

This episode he says as much and shows the software he uses