Game Atmosphere 2019

blacklab

Shit coaching and Cole is a beating, he should be fired before kstate. I hope all our twitter fans get after CDC and Drew with how awful Cole is, unacceptable. Get us a normal voice telling us down & distance without trying to be part of the game. Reminds me of our leagues referees. 

With that said, we had another great time last night. 

• Like 1

Bob Cole had several, “Third dooooooowwwwwnnn” calls that weirdly didn’t end, and sounded like he was munching ass or having a stroke, you heard a “urururururrururrrr” kinda trail off under what crowd noise was there.

And who’s the dumb mother fucker who called for a “Texas Fight” chant when WE had the ball, trying to convert a 4th and 2? Manufactured crowd noise/enthusiasm for when we have the ball? Their first football game? (Then again, it was the first time we converted a 4th down in three tries...)

Finally, we’re in a nail biter, mostly pissed off at everything because it’s fucking Kansas, I’m in no mood for  loud music, karaoke cams, and jumping, jumping around and other fake shit. If Godzillatron ever focused its camera on me last night, they would have gotten a big ol middle finger, like that pissed off Oiler fan on Monday Night Football in the 70’s. How these assholes can lose their shit (and forget we are at the moment losing to fucking Kansas) and smile for the camera is beyond me.

Edited by Vito Andolini
  • Like 6

• 3 weeks later...

one measly TEXAS FIGHT the whole game... and Godzilla busted in right during the strongest part of it.

Maybe i am getting old and grumpy, but i feel like we are losing our uniqueness and traditions.

Other than halftime, the band was MIA.

Texas Texas Yee Haw!!!

Edited by yoladu

I think my constant Twitter bitching to CDC and Drew Martin about Bob Cole’s growling and buffoonery finally paid off. He was definitely reigned in yesterday, with no “Thirrrrrrggggggrrrrrrrrrrrrd dowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwn” or “the eyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyes of Texas”

He’s still an insufferable huckster. But not as bad yesterday.

• 2 weeks later...

God bless Del Conte for everything he has done - and he's done a lot.

But our game day, the in game, environment is an unbridled joke, maybe more than it's ever been.  It's fucking laughable and beyond.  And that is on Del Conte. And no one else.  The University of Texas isn't a pro team, and never will be. Fuck all these transplants he, Polonsky in her past and everyone else that you are trying to cater to.  It's a college football game - driven by the fans and the band.  Not by the desire to be a fucked up, audio-driven, whored out beyond recognition Vegas night club.  Pretty much every second of dead air in the stadium is an all out assault, and battery, on one's senses.  Punctuated by some hell-bent desire to push 95 decibels over the JumboTron - whether it be some stupid Tiff's Treat delivery, a Bill Haley and the Comets song, for god's sake, incessant ads or everything else in between. And there's a lot in between, not to mention that insufferable Bob Cole.   Let the game, band and the crowd be the focal point of the game.  There is no need to manufacture some god awful product that is just polluting the environment, and doing nothing else. 

It's hard to come up for air in our stadium given the maniacal lunacy being driven down our throats.   At some point maybe some sanity will prevail.  Polonsky was the devil that drove this for years.  I thought Del Conte had neutered her impact overall.  I guess not in this respect.  
  • Like 6

CDC has a very important decision to make. One that could effect the program for decades. He should know how important it is as the football program pays all the bills and drives the bus. He should know what a monumental decision it is, and it’s not as tough as he thinks.

He must fire Bob Cole.

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, Wally Pryor said:

But our game day, the in game, environment is an unbridled joke, maybe more than it's ever been.  It's fucking laughable and beyond.  And that is on Del Conte. And no one else.  The University of Texas isn't a pro team, and never will be. Fuck all these transplants he, Polonsky in her past and everyone else that you are trying to cater to.  It's a college football game - driven by the fans and the band.  Not by the desire to be a fucked up, audio-driven, whored out beyond recognition Vegas night club.  Pretty much every second of dead air in the stadium is an all out assault, and battery, on one's senses.  Punctuated by some hell-bent desire to push 95 decibels over the JumboTron - whether it be some stupid Tiff's Treat delivery, a Bill Haley and the Comets song, for god's sake, incessant ads or everything else in between. And there's a lot in between, not to mention that insufferable Bob Cole.   Let the game, band and the crowd be the focal point of the game.  There is no need to manufacture some god awful product that is just polluting the environment, and doing nothing else. 

It's hard to come up for air in our stadium given the maniacal lunacy being driven down our throats.   At some point maybe some sanity will prevail.  Polonsky was the devil that drove this for years.  I thought Del Conte had neutered her impact overall.  I guess not in this respect.  

He did the same thing at TCU. I went to the game over there 2 years ago and swore I would never go back. You never have a chance to breathe. The ironic thing is Texas plays in the perfect college game setting every year, the second Saturday of October. Just bands playing, fans  screaming and organic cheers like Texas Fight. You would think they'd learn that you don't need to trick it up just because some consultants say you should. 

Edited by Blutarski
  • Like 3

17 minutes ago, Wally Pryor said:

My sentiments exactly.  It truly is a beating.  I don’t have a clear picture of the economics but there has to be a saner model to pay for athletics without completely selling your soul and shitting all over the game experience on six Saturdays a year.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, JimmyJames said:

On a more positive note, the crowd today was way better than I expected. I was thinking half full due to the rain and crappy season and it was more like 75-80 percent. 

All credit to the crowd that did come out but it was nowhere near 75 to 80% full.  Maybe 2/3, at best.  At best.

I wonder how much of the advertising is contractual over a multi-year basis. Perhaps we can see it phased out. Though if the post above about TCU games is accurate, that's probably not happening even if it's possible. Still, game atmosphere is improved overall. Bottom line is that the Texas fanbase is a pretty frontrunning crowd overall. What's true in all of football is especially true here - if the product on the field is good, they'll respond in kind and deliver a very good atmosphere. If the team is shitty, games are lifeless.

5 minutes ago, ClubWhatever said:

My sentiments exactly.  It truly is a beating.  I don’t have a clear picture of the economics but there has to be a saner model to pay for athletics without completely selling your soul and shitting all over the game experience on six Saturdays a year.

We have a model and it's a money-making machine without all the $ generated from the ads, plugs and nonsense that is shoved down our throats during the game.  Plain and simply, we don't need all of this shit. That's the sad part - we are already bathing in money.  Yet for some reason Bellmont continues to feel the need to whore out every second of dead air in the stadium.   And our game day environment sucks because of it. 

12 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

First Law of Texas Football: Texas fans will never be happy with game day atmosphere. Ever.

Actually, that couldn't be further from the truth.  We see and are happy, overly, with an atmosphere every year.  It's the 2nd Saturday in October in Dallas.   It's a simple, outstanding in-game environment that is built around the game, crowd and bands.  All the other ads, plugs and non-sense are checked and discarded at the door.   The game may not play out to our liking but there is a never a complaint about the environment because it's about the game, and that's it.

The recipe is pretty simple.  And it's not about us following it.  It's about us not even getting close to it. 

• Like 4

12 hours ago, Wally Pryor said:

Actually, that couldn't be further from the truth.  We see and are happy, overly, with an atmosphere every year.  It's the 2nd Saturday in October in Dallas.   It's a simple, outstanding in-game environment that is built around the game, crowd and bands.  All the other ads, plugs and non-sense are checked and discarded at the door.   The game may not play out to our liking but there is a never a complaint about the environment because it's about the game, and that's it.

The recipe is pretty simple.  And it's not about us following it.  It's about us not even getting close to it. 

You think Del Conte can create TX-OU environment every week? You crazy.

1 hour ago, Longhorn said:

You think Del Conte can create TX-OU environment every week? You crazy.

No one will ever be to replicate that environment.  I'm talking about the in-game production itself - it's just the Cotton Bowl PA guy giving you essential information, and ad or two sprinkled in with the band, crowd and the game taking care of the rest.    Or, exactly the opposite of what happens in our stadium.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Wally Pryor said:

No one will ever be to replicate that environment.  I'm talking about the in-game production itself - it's just the Cotton Bowl PA guy giving you essential information, and ad or two sprinkled in with the band, crowd and the game taking care of the rest.    Or, exactly the opposite of what happens in our stadium.

+ rep and I've been saying this for years. I'm not sure who they're attempting to appeal to, as pretty much everyone hates all the stupid shit we do to distract from the football game being played.

I’ve always wondered why we don’t approach our game atmosphere like the Masters. 

One very overt thank you to Mighty Fine, Tiff’s Treats, SWA or whoever at the start of each half thanking them loudly for the next 30 minutes of ad free football. 

And I’m talking about ad free football at the stadium and not on tv for whatever illiterate is madly typing up a reply about how we’re not the Masters after reading the premise. 

• Like 1

CDC gotta get rid of this notion that we hit record numbers of season tickets because of all the bells and whistles he put around our stadium. I genuinely like Bevo Blvd and the HOF shit, it's cool, but people bought season tickets because we finished last year with a sugar bowl win and a 2nd year head coach that seemed promising. Not because people want to come to the games to hear DJ Mel play his weird hip hop instrumental mixes on every damn clock stoppage that the band doesn't play (70+% imo). Football is what gets people excited. 

18 hours ago, Wally Pryor said:

Ads were kind of over the top, but at least they were amusing.  As for the manufactured noise, it was NOTHING like you get at Georgia and Tennessee, which I've been to recently, and I understand the rest of the SEC and lots of places around the country.  Texas still had the focus much more on the band and hasn't gone whole hog on the trend around the rest of the country.  You cannot talk to the person next to you without shouting at Tennessee.  Georgia is almost as bad-they've moved that way the last couple of seasons.

2 hours ago, miguelito said:

Ugh, that sounds terrible, for a lot of reasons.  Did they have a guy flying around in a jetpack, too?

The fucking jet pack guy references will never not make me laugh out loud. I never actually heard an origin story for how he started showing up. In my mind, I like to believe that it was actually a bizarre hobby of Steve Patterson and he just started showing up in his gear and blasting around. Is there a real story though ?