Cursing at Work

TahoeHorn

1 minute ago, Iceman said:

Lolz.  I don't look at coworkers that way.  Keeps me out of trouble.

of course you do, it’s evolutionary. you can’t control the forces of nature.   now, you can be human and choose not to act on them, but you’ve definitely thought about shooting your seed inside that loyal co-worker. 

Most of it is me so...every day.

Seriously though, I usually try to keep it to myself. I used to sit by a guy who dropped continuous F-Bombs from the minute he got in until the minute he left. Sometimes it was entertaining and sometimes it got old. Just depends on the situation.

I'd say other than that, I hear a variety daily, but mostly in a joking manner and never in formal settings.

The office building I work in has zero sound proofing. I would bet they tried to increase the way sound travels, not control it. The sales manager drops the most f-bombs. I don't know why he cant stay in his office to deal with his salesmen instead of walking the halls so everone can hear what is being said. The comptroller is just as bad. I have learned it is easier to go outside on call customers. It is not very professional when the customers can hear the f-bombs going off.

On 9/3/2019 at 6:24 PM, RDCanecutter said:

Got busted today for saying "No mames weyyyy." I didn't think of it as cussing, but I got voted down.

How you know I'm old...

I have since accepted it, but for the longest time, I had a problem with the common use (workplace, tv, etc.) of the word suck.  Everyone over the age of 12 (and many younger) should have guessed it was derivative of cocksucking.  So It became okay to say "you suck [cock, implied] in any given situation.

I have nothing against cocksucking, but find reference to it inappropriate in most public situations, no matter what language. You work with a lot of old farts?

Rant over.

I have a wierd "respect" thing where I don't swear around anyone older than me in my family or any professional setting. It doesn't bother me when others do (and working in construction it's pretty often), but I just don't feel comfortable doing it myself. 

I also prefer to keep my work life and personal life separated, so I don't do happy hours and things of that nature. When I'm with friends my language is pretty coarse. 

• Hook 'Em 2

19 minutes ago, abuelo gringo said:

You work with a lot of old farts?

It was two teenage Mexicanitas who called it cussing. I was the only old fart in the room. They weren't deeply offended, just tagged it as vulgar in an FYI sort of way.

I am in Alabama, where the Mexicans are usually actual Mexico Mexicans who moved here, or their parents did, during the past 20 years. They live halfway inside a sort of 1990s Mexico bubble at home, are familiar with pop music from that era and the early 2000s, not so much more recent stuff. Some of them are hyper-conservative linguistically, one girl told me she had to call her mom "usted", another one (half-Guatemalan) was using turns of phrases that I had never seen until I started reading books from 200 years ago.

OTOH, I had one kid yell "Cabron!" at me because that is what his Spanish-speaking dad used to say to people he liked. He thought it was being friendly. So he said.

My company has very strict policy against it.  Its lazy speech that people use when they cannot effectively make a point.  I can curse with the best of them outside of work, but at work i make a conscience effort to avoid it, as it is disrespectful and shows a general lack of self control.

• Fuck You 1

5 hours ago, jdhorn92 said:

My company has very strict policy against it.  Its lazy speech that people use when they cannot effectively make a point.  I can curse with the best of them outside of work, but at work i make a conscience effort to avoid it, as it is disrespectful and shows a general lack of self control.

It placates the pussies . it preserves their illusion of civility.

That being said, you can dress down the fuck out of someone without profanity.  Cussing just lubes it up a little.

Edited by Iceman

• 3 years later...

I was present when a friend/ peer screamed fuck you at a reservoir engineer manager in a planning meeting. It remains my most shocking work moment.  We drilled drinks after work because we were certain he’d be canned the next day. He lasted another 2 years. A remarkable testament to the bizarre work culture. 

At home I’ll usually yell fuck at an upsetting email. At the office it’s non-verbal. I’ll punch my desk. Y’all will suggest counseling, but it works. Just don’t break your hand or punch a monitor. 

3 minutes ago, NotActuallyALonghorn said:

An odd bump.

Yeah, no shit. 

There are a lot of phrases throughout this thread that are amusing to assume that Bill must have been searching for. 

Leader in the clubhouse for me is "I assimilate your mom." 

Edited by Prepuce of Doom
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, RPM said:

In the office we cuss all the time. When we leave and deal with the client it's professional conduct.

This. Our internal meetings would make sailors blush. Granted, those are the meetings with my Denver team where I think I’m the oldest at 34 

Personally I am not much of a user of cuss words but in my industry it is abundant in use in everyday affairs.  It also depends on what level of meetings you are in as to what cuss words may or may not be used.  If women are around it is toned down a "bit".

I did call a guy out on a flight once to shut up because he went on a F-bomb tirade because someone slid his carry-on bag about a foot forward in the overhead compartment.  There were a lot of women and some kids on the flight.  He shut up quickly.

Edited by mininghorn88

On 7/7/2023 at 8:26 AM, G650 said:

I'm in construction. Cussing is our lingua franca.

image.jpeg.ba389361484b56b0ce177f680504d7c3.jpeg

2 of our operations VPs cuss like...  well construction workers.

So does our division president. He gets a pass because it's good to be the king.

I'll throw in a few fucks to emphasize a point, but never direct it at anyone.

Edited by Superhero