2019 Houston Texans

The Earl of Texas

I don't follow the NFL that closely but Houston has to be the most confusing fucking team in the league.  Every time I think they're gonna go in the shitter they go on like this.  And when I feel they're finally a contender, they fall apart right on cue.  
TLDR: WTF bro?

Agree. It has to be game planning / play calling. Other than the dumb penalties, the players seem to be executing as expected.

4 hours ago, TonyTexas said:

6-3 going into a much needed bye. Tough 3 games coming out of it  @ Ravens, Colts, Patriots. They are in good shape for a playoff spot, either as division winner or wild card. 

Yay! Another year of getting knocked out of the playoffs in the 2nd round.

All the justified angst around this organization/franchise aside...is there anyone who follows this team who isn’t 100% behind DeShaun Watson?  He’s not perfect but fuck if that dude can’t make filet mignon out of a shit sandwich, and BTW he’s a natural born leader that teams dream of.  Love that fucking guy...

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Ignatius said:

All the justified angst around this organization/franchise aside...is there anyone who follows this team who isn’t 100% behind DeShaun Watson?  He’s not perfect but fuck if that dude can’t make filet mignon out of a shit sandwich, and BTW he’s a natural born leader that teams dream of.  Love that fucking guy...

Bruh, seen it for as long as he's been playing football. They finally give him some OL help, albeit at the expense of the next 10 drafts, but fuck.....this is a super bowl challenging team if buttchin wasn't calling the shots 

• Like 1

He's good enough to make O'Brien not look awful week to week. Though their gameplan offensively this week was exceptionally. They found a weakness on the Jags with the jet motion and drove that bus into the ground. Which is what good offensive gameplans do. They would have had a TD on the 1st drive if they weren't playing some 5th string WR street agent scrub.

He’s absolutely my favorite player in the league. He is absolutely everything you would ask for in a franchise QB. He makes plays, he’s a great leader, and he’s a great face of your franchise.

4 hours ago, YChang said:

Please Houston... please invest in talent around Watson. 

They have talent. The O-line is playing much better. WRs are good as are the RBs. Defensive Backfield is really the only subpar unit. They don’t have the draft capital to do much. This is a good but not great team. 

3 hours ago, TonyTexas said:

They have talent. The O-line is playing much better. WRs are good as are the RBs. Defensive Backfield is really the only subpar unit. They don’t have the draft capital to do much. This is a good but not great team. 

One thing the team does have is a great salary cap position, and really no bad contracts (outside of maybe Nick Myers, though he’s playing better) going into next year....

23 hours ago, Ignatius said:

All the justified angst around this organization/franchise aside...is there anyone who follows this team who isn’t 100% behind DeShaun Watson?

That's basically saying, "Raise your hand if you're stupid so we can all take note."

Watson is an animal.  He's the type who can put a team on his shoulders in a playoff run.  I'm getting my hopes up again, dammit.

Re: Invest around Watson.
If they get Tunsil resigned at obscene but not most obscene money, it was probably worth the two first rounders. The 2020 pick is projected to be #26 and hopefully 2021 will also be late in round 1.  Would you give up two late first rounders for a top 5 LT? The answer should be yes. 

The pitchforks would have come if they had bombed or Watson got hurt this season and we were giving Miami a top 10 pick. 

They spent their 2019 first rounder on the D1AA OT who may become a serviceable RT. They took Nick Martin high a few years ago and signed several above average guards. The OL just never gelled until Tunsil got some time with the unit and they got used to Watson, plus Watson makes them look a LOT better due to his legs buying time and avoiding sacks. 

The OL has a chance to be pretty good going forward assuming everyone stays healthy. They are young and have nowhere to go but up.  Spend some money on the defensive backfield and d-line and they could be a formidable unit for the next several years.  The offense will always be ok with DeShaun at the helm.

• Like 1

On 11/3/2019 at 5:25 PM, Ignatius said:

All the justified angst around this organization/franchise aside...is there anyone who follows this team who isn’t 100% behind DeShaun Watson? 

I'm not even a Texans fan, and I'm 100 percent behind Deshaun. Always tuning in just to see what he's going to do next.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Murfdogg21 said:

Re: Invest around Watson.
If they get Tunsil resigned at obscene but not most obscene money, it was probably worth the two first rounders. The 2020 pick is projected to be #26 and hopefully 2021 will also be late in round 1.  Would you give up two late first rounders for a top 5 LT? The answer should be yes. 

The pitchforks would have come if they had bombed or Watson got hurt this season and we were giving Miami a top 10 pick. 

They spent their 2019 first rounder on the D1AA OT who may become a serviceable RT. They took Nick Martin high a few years ago and signed several above average guards. The OL just never gelled until Tunsil got some time with the unit and they got used to Watson, plus Watson makes them look a LOT better due to his legs buying time and avoiding sacks. 

Yeah I think the FO and coach of this team is/are much better than it/they get credit for. 

Not that they're perfect, but there are definitely worse teams to be a fan of. 

14 hours ago, Murfdogg21 said:

They spent their 2019 first rounder on the D1AA OT who may become a serviceable RT. 

It's obviously early, but so far Howard has looked more than serviceable.  FWIW, Pro Football Focus has him with the 3rd highest pass-blocking grade of all RTs this year.  Meanwhile, Andre Dillard surrendered 3 sacks for the Eagles this weekend...

On 11/3/2019 at 11:56 AM, ChiTownDoc said:

I don't follow the NFL that closely but Houston has to be the most confusing fucking team in the league.  Every time I think they're gonna go in the shitter they go on like this.  And when I feel they're finally a contender, they fall apart right on cue.  

TLDR: WTF bro?

For me, it seems like there is a Schrödinger's Cat effect going on with the Texans. As long as I ignore them, they do well -- but as soon as I start to follow them, they shit the bed in spectacular and amusing ways.

7 minutes ago, Lurch said:

Presumably this does NOT mean other teams weren’t interested, but rather that other teams wouldn’t take his contract.

Correct. Having a nice cap allowed for the Texans to make this move. It was needed after the injuries at the position. Now could roll out two former 1st round picks in Conley and this guy.

2 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

Correct. Having a nice cap allowed for the Texans to make this move. It was needed after the injuries at the position. Now could roll out two former 1st round picks in Conley and this guy.

He’s only owed $930k for rest of season. There is a $9.3mm 5th year option for 2020. If that option transfers then the Texans could be on the hook if he has a season ending injury. 

3 hours ago, TonyTexas said:

He’s only owed $930k for rest of season. There is a $9.3mm 5th year option for 2020. If that option transfers then the Texans could be on the hook if he has a season ending injury. 

The 5th year isn’t guaranteed for injury until right before the beginning of the new league season n late February.  Same situation with Kevin Johnson last year...

Say what you will about BOB, but I really like the the last few months worth of transactions for the Texans.  They have some depth in the DB backfield now and the OL has progressed nicely.  They can't really count on doing much in the draft for the next couple of years, but they should have some cap room to work with the sign a few decent FA's to plug in here and there.  With KC stumbling along the way, the Texans have their destiny in their hands.  If things fall their way, they should be set up to compete for a first round bye and a home playoof game for the second round.  I wouldn't at all be surprised to see this team in the AFC title game this year.

9 hours ago, Hate said:

Say what you will about BOB, but I really like the the last few months worth of transactions for the Texans.  They have some depth in the DB backfield now and the OL has progressed nicely.  They can't really count on doing much in the draft for the next couple of years, but they should have some cap room to work with the sign a few decent FA's to plug in here and there.  With KC stumbling along the way, the Texans have their destiny in their hands.  If things fall their way, they should be set up to compete for a first round bye and a home playoof game for the second round.  I wouldn't at all be surprised to see this team in the AFC title game this year.

Was a strange way to get there and time will tell on the impact of the lost draft picks, but this team is undeniably better than anyone would have thought the day the draft ended....

13 hours ago, Hate said:

Yeah, I agree. When you add 2 young former 1st round CBs, though, you are getting some value when you are lacking picks to get young DBs. Somehow through all this madness, BOB has been able to address the team needs. He now has a young improving OL, a couple of good RBs that complement the offense, and when healthy a solid group of WR/TEs. He's got a strong cast around Watson.

On defense the weakness was the secondary, which is now been addressed with Conley, Hargreaves, Johnson, and Reid. Even Roby is still on the + side of 30.

I think the Texans are going into Baltimore and winning this weekend. The bye has happened at a perfect time for them. They’ve had some time to game plan. They will need to win the turnover battle and time of possession, but I think it’s doable. I think they win 27-20.

1 hour ago, Hate said:

I think the Texans are going into Baltimore and winning this weekend. The bye has happened at a perfect time for them. They’ve had some time to game plan. They will need to win the turnover battle and time of possession, but I think it’s doable. I think they win 27-20.

The defense will be solid but not spectacular. If they hold any team to 17 points, the Texans will win most of those games. I really like the OL and I like the defense. I also think that DeShaun may be the best player in the league. I know beyond a shadow of a doubt he is my favorite player. I grew up in SA so I have always been a Cowboys/Oilers/Texans fan. Hands down DeShaun is my favorite player in the NFL in the last 25 years. He is absolutely everything you’d want in a franchise QB and I firmly believe he will deliver a Super Bowl to Houston before he hangs it up.

• Like 2

Biggest game in the BOB era tomorrow. Can’t wait for the game. The biggest advantage the Ravens have is coaching as Greg Roman and Harbaugh run circles around BOB. We need to score on our first drive, which we haven’t done yet this season, to keep up with the Ravens onslaught. I hope we are aggressive from the shoot. I am quietly optimistic. Really like the pickups we’ve made in season, especially Conley and Hargraves

• Like 1

I never would have thought it as well as potentially liking the secondary. The run game is solid enough with Hyde & Johnson, the WR has depth when healthy (big question with Fuller obviously), and the TE’s have contributed. They have their destiny laid out right in front of them with huge games against Baltimore, Indy, and NE coming up. The schedule is pretty soft after that with Tenn twice and Tampa. I could easily see them finishing 12-4 and having a first round bye.

16 hours ago, Hate said:

The defense will be solid but not spectacular. If they hold any team to 17 points, the Texans will win most of those games. I really like the OL and I like the defense. I also think that DeShaun may be the best player in the league. I know beyond a shadow of a doubt he is my favorite player. I grew up in SA so I have always been a Cowboys/Oilers/Texans fan. Hands down DeShaun is my favorite player in the NFL in the last 25 years. He is absolutely everything you’d want in a franchise QB and I firmly believe he will deliver a Super Bowl to Houston before he hangs it up.

46 minutes ago, Hate said:

I never would have thought it as well as potentially liking the secondary. The run game is solid enough with Hyde & Johnson, the WR has depth when healthy (big question with Fuller obviously), and the TE’s have contributed. They have their destiny laid out right in front of them with huge games against Baltimore, Indy, and NE coming up. The schedule is pretty soft after that with Tenn twice and Tampa. I could easily see them finishing 12-4 and having a first round bye.

Please let me have some of what you're sipping on. It seems magical.