2019 Houston Texans

The Earl of Texas

Sources: Texans fire senior vice president Chris Olsen

By Aaron Wilson, Houston Chronicle

Updated 9:53 pm CST, Sunday, January 19, 2020

The Texans have fired senior vice president of football administration Chris Olsen, according to league sources not authorized to speak publicly.

When the Texans fired general manager Brian Gaine in June, Texans chairman and chief executive officer Cal McNair issued a statement that Olsen was running football operations on an interim basis.

Texans coach Bill O'Brien doesn't have the general manager title, but operates with the de facto authority of a general manager.

Olsen was the Texans' primary contract negotiator and responsible for some of the largest deals in franchise history, including defensive end J.J. Watt's $100 million contract. He managed the Texans' salary cap, and the AFC South champions have roughly $60 million in salary cap space heading into the offseason.

Olsen has worked for the Texans for 13 years.

Olsen previously worked for the NFL management council in the league office in New York as manager of labor operations.  He was responsible for reviewing and analyzing player contracts to ensure that teams were in compliance with the collective bargaining agreement.

https://www.chron.com/sports/texans/article/Sources-Texans-fire-senior-vice-president-Chris-14988458.php?ipid=hpsportsctp

1 hour ago, Murfdogg21 said:

Picks. 

They have picks. 

• Second-round (Houston)
  • Third- or fourth-round (Houston)
  • Third-round (compensatory — Tyrann Mathieu)
  • Third-round (compensatory — Kareem Jackson)
  • Fourth-round (Miami)
  • Fifth-round (Houston)
  • Seventh-round (Houston)
  • Seventh-round (compensatory — Christian Covington)
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, TonyTexas said:

They have picks. 

• Second-round (Houston)
  • Third- or fourth-round (Houston)
  • Third-round (compensatory — Tyrann Mathieu)
  • Third-round (compensatory — Kareem Jackson)
  • Fourth-round (Miami)
  • Fifth-round (Houston)
  • Seventh-round (Houston)
  • Seventh-round (compensatory — Christian Covington)

There’s only going to be one 3rd rounder and two 4th rounders.  Our own 3rd went for Duke Johnson, and the 3rd we got from Seattle for Clowney went for Conley.  We’ll get a compensatory for Mathis/Jackson but not two, because signing Bradley Roby offsets one of them.  In the 4th we have our own + Miami’s from the Tunsil deal.

Edited by Ignatius

Well, that was quick....

Sources: Texans promote Anthony Weaver to defensive coordinator

By Aaron Wilson, Houston Chronicle

Updated 11:29 am CST, Monday, January 20, 2020

The Texans have promoted defensive line coach Anthony Weaver to defensive coordinator as the replacement for veteran defensive coordinator Romeo Crennel, according to league sources not authorized to speak publicly.

A former Texans and Baltimore Ravens defensive lineman drafted in the second round by Baltimore in 2002, Weaver has been the Texans' defensive line coach since 2016.

He was previously a defensive line coach with the Cleveland Browns, Buffalo Bills and New York Jets.

Weaver has been instrumental in the development of Pro Bowl alternate defensive lineman D.J. Reader and previously, Pro Bowl outside linebacker Jadeveon Clowney, who was traded to the Seattle Seahawks.

A 39-year-old New York native, Weaver takes over a defense whose vulnerabilities, a lack of a pass rush and deficiencies in pass coverage, was exposed during a 51-31 loss to the Kansas City Chiefs in the AFC divisional round.

Crennel, 72, who holds the assistant head coach role, has previously shifted to an advisory capacity when Mike Vrabel was the Texans' defensive coordinator for one year prior to being hired as the Tennessee Titans coach.

The Texans' defense struggled when star defensive end J.J. Watt tore his pectoral and underwent surgery, returning for the playoffs in a situational pass rusher role.

https://www.chron.com/sports/texans/article/Texans-hire-Anthony-Weaver-defensive-coordinator-14989254.php

I don't want to turn this into a "what might have been thread", but if only Vince had gone to an organization like the Ravens instead of Tennessee it may have turned out very differently.  I think Vince would have done everything that Lamar Jackson has done so far at the very least.  Oh well, fuck Jeff Fisher.

• Like 1

We also don't know if the positives of being in Houston would have outweighed the negatives.

He would've had a better support system in Houston, but the parasites and leeches would have multiplied.

I still wonder what could have been with Vince in Kubiak's offense. All those naked bootlegs were tailor made for Vince. He fakes a handoff to Arian Foster, the entire offense goes left while Young goes right, he could take the easy yardage with the wide open field, go deep to Andre Johnson, or hit his safety valve Owen Daniels.

Ugh

But again, maybe Houston wouldn't have been good for him.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Hate said:

I don't want to turn this into a "what might have been thread", but if only Vince had gone to an organization like the Ravens instead of Tennessee it may have turned out very differently.  I think Vince would have done everything that Lamar Jackson has done so far at the very least.  Oh well, fuck Jeff Fisher.

I actually think he would have done well with Kubiak. Well, much better than with Fisher anyway. Kubiak loved those PA/bootleg plays that could have basically been run/pass options with VY. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Hank Chinaski said:

I actually think he would have done well with Kubiak. Well, much better than with Fisher anyway. Kubiak loved those PA/bootleg plays that could have basically been run/pass options with VY. 

38 minutes ago, BornOrange said:

We also don't know if the positives of being in Houston would have outweighed the negatives.

He would've had a better support system in Houston, but the parasites and leeches would have multiplied.

I still wonder what could have been with Vince in Kubiak's offense. All those naked bootlegs were tailor made for Vince. He fakes a handoff to Arian Foster, the entire offense goes left while Young goes right, he could take the easy yardage with the wide open field, go deep to Andre Johnson, or hit his safety valve Owen Daniels.

Ugh

But again, maybe Houston wouldn't have been good for him.

I agree on the Kubiak front, but I have no confidence that Vince could have handled success in Houston.  I have a feeling the parasites and leeches you mentioned would have eaten him alive here.

1 minute ago, Hate said:

I agree on the Kubiak front, but I have no confidence that Vince could have handled success in Houston.  I have a feeling the parasites and leeches you mentioned would have eaten him alive here.

Right, VY would have had to have put more effort into the off-field parts of being a pro regardless of where he ended up.