Kidney Stones

Kermit

Fuck you, you fucking fuck. I fucking hate you. I want you out of my goddamn body. 

Condolences to anyone who has been through this and I’m sure it s about half you assholes. The drugs are pretty spectacular though. Too bad the pain is still there.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

The worst part is that they no longer do lithotripsies. Instead they ram a laser up your junk and play Galaga until the stone is gone. You’re out for that, but you’re quite awake when they remove the stint that’s left in after the procedure a week later.

Also, the pain post stint removal will rival the stone pain for a number of hours. 

• Like 1

The worst part is that they no longer do lithotripsies. Instead they ram a laser up your junk and play Galaga until the stone is gone. You’re out for that, but you’re quite awake when they remove the stint that’s left in after the procedure a week later.
Also, the pain post stint removal will rival the stone pain for a number of hours. 
4d8c97d81872ea199f1cf096a8d1d2fd.gifa97a265f750d1db4d42286b603954f7d.gifaec6f6b8244669f5a31f30863380d073.gif

17 minutes ago, Deej said:

I just spent the last three weeks passing one. So much fun. Didn't go to the doctor. CBD's made the pain almost manageable. Thankfully, my pain tolerance is pretty high, or I might have just offed myself.

Three weeks? Dude, fuck that shit. Thankfully the pain has somewhat subsided, but I’m fully expecting a full pain burst tonight. The prospect of three weeks of this shit is terrifying.

This is what I use but I am not a doctor nor can I endorse such medicine man bullshit that is not from a real MD.  But I use it.  

Chanca Piedra in the form of Whole World Botanicals Royal Chanca Piedra Liver Gall Bladder support.

Chanca Piedra means Break Stone.  

BTW, still painful but it seems to burn them away.

Edited by zork
  • Fuck You 1

2 hours ago, zork said:

This is what I use but I am not a doctor nor can I endorse such medicine man bullshit that is not from a real MD.  But I use it.  

Chanca Piedra in the form of Whole World Botanicals Royal Chanca Piedra Liver Gall Bladder support.

Chanca Piedra means Break Stone.  

BTW, still painful but it seems to burn them away.

I use this as well as a preventative in addition to an altered diet and potassium citrate supplements. 

Last one I had was in 2016 and it had me on the floor wanting to kill myself. That was easily the worst pain of my life. I'd rather break my leg in football every day for a week then go through that again. I eventually passed it in a New Orleans with the help of my friend hydrocodone and Wild Turkey. Unfortunately for me I had a CT scan done in February and they found a 2mm stone again. Haven't passed it so the fucker is probably getting bigger every day. 

35 minutes ago, Texas_Rocks said:

Had them years ago. Was prescribed an opiate nasal spray called Stadol. By far the best pain killer I’ve ever taken. I highly DO NOT recommend it. It’s just too good...and too convenient to use.

I’d be surprised if it’s even available anymore.

Stadol is what they have always given me when the initial shot of demerol wore off. I think it’s out of favor now. 

Had these a few times about 8 years ago.  Worst pain ever.  First time I went to the ER and they gave me morphine.  Didn’t touch the pain at all as I was still writhing on the ER bed.  Hit me with more morphine like 15 minutes later and nothing.  They finally gave me the shit that killed Michael Jackson I think and that knocked me out and when I woke up the pain was gone.  I truly fear getting another one.

• Like 1

I woke up with a 9.5 mm one that day a couple of years ago that day that Iowa state beat ou. 

I will echo those around here who note that there is no pain comparable. Nothing nothing nothing. I danced around the er for hours while connected to morphine asking every nurse, dr, custodian, fellow patient, randos in the hallways to just fucking kill me. Hours and hours of this shit. There is no back pain that can compare. Fuck them to hell. 

Like beantown said, I truly fear the arrival of another one. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Bobby_Batronic said:

I use this as well as a preventative in addition to an altered diet and potassium citrate supplements. 

How often do you take it and what dosage?  What kind of altered diet in general?  How often and in what amounts do you take the K citrate?  If you don't mind sharing?

It seems I have much to look forward to once this 3mm, jagged s.o.b. works its way to my peehole. Right now it’s hanging out around my bladder. I’ve never puked from pain before, so that was a first. Dude in the emergency room stall next to me was crying from his. Nurse said it was kidney stone day in the ER. 

33 minutes ago, Kermit said:

It seems I have much to look forward to once this 3mm, jagged s.o.b. works its way to my peehole. Right now it’s hanging out around my bladder. I’ve never puked from pain before, so that was a first. Dude in the emergency room stall next to me was crying from his. Nurse said it was kidney stone day in the ER. 

The ureter is the problem area. The plumbing from the bladder down can handle passing that with no problem. 

2 hours ago, zork said:

How often do you take it and what dosage?  What kind of altered diet in general?  How often and in what amounts do you take the K citrate?  If you don't mind sharing?

My diet is based on the stone type I produce. I was a chronic producer having 7-8 lithotripsies between HS and college. On one occasion I had 11 retained stones on one side and 9 on the other. I’ve only had 2 stones in the 19 years since. 

I take 1 800 mg chanca piedra daily, and a 1080mg potassium citrate twice daily. My diet requires that I avoid foods high in oxalates. That includes dark colored drinks like coffee, tea, sodas and beer. Potatoes, nuts and nut butters, grains, chocolates and certain green leafy vegetables are also no no’s. Naturally, I have a large daily water intake and lemonade is actually particularly good for me when I want some flavor. 

Im not completely sworn off the foods above, but consume them in very limited quantities. For example, I’ve got a root beer put aside for my birthday this month. The last soda I had was at the beginning of August, and this will be maybe my 4th of the year. I’ll knock back some mashed potatoes and sweet tea on Thanksgiving, but it will be the first time I’ve had either since New Years.  

It sucks, but you’ll do what you have to do to avoid that pain. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, Texas_Rocks said:

Had them years ago. Was prescribed an opiate nasal spray called Stadol. By far the best pain killer I’ve ever taken. I highly DO NOT recommend it. It’s just too good...and too convenient to use.

I’d be surprised if it’s even available anymore.

It's still on the market. I have 2 patients on it and they use it for migraines. Potent stuff man.

They fucking suck.  Got one when wife was 8 months pregnant.  Waddling my sorry ass into the ER.  Doubled over in agony.  Nurse gives me Midazolam (verced).  I was loopy after that.  Was in 2005 and I made them turn on the Texas game (Kansas, I think).  

Pissing blood for three days through a coffee strainer to catch that little shit was also fun so I could take to the urologist.  

7 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

They fucking suck.  Got one when wife was 8 months pregnant.  Waddling my sorry ass into the ER.  Doubled over in agony.  Nurse gives me Midazolam (verced).  I was loopy after that.  Was in 2005 and I made them turn on the Texas game (Kansas, I think).  

Pissing blood for three days through a coffee strainer to catch that little shit was also fun so I could take to the urologist.  

Yeah, I did this too.  Thanks for reminding me. Shit. I can't believe I had forgotten about strainer.

Edited by smwhorn

9 hours ago, Bobby_Batronic said:

It sucks, but you’ll do what you have to do to avoid that pain. 

Yep.  They say Conscience does make cowards of us all.  Fuck that.  It's those little, evil stones.

Only two vices I have left now are coffee and beer.  Quit sodas and Copenhagen.  I'd give up coffee tomorrow if I had another episode and quitting would make them stop.  Thankfully mine was an isolated event.  I drink a crap load of water each day to try and keep my system flushed out.  Fingers crossed.  

Two times for me. The first one in the summer after my senior year was the absolute worst. Had been out doing hard-core yard work for a couple of days in near 100-degree heat in SA. Naturally, I wasn't drinking enough water. Worst pain of my life. Couldn't sit still, writhing in pain in the car all the way to the urologist's office. Walked in and all the old fuckers in the waiting room were looking at me funny as my mom and I went straight from the front door to an examination room in the back. Doc came in and gave me a shot of Demerol. It only took a few minutes but it seemed like hours before it took effect. Holy hell was that a good feeling. I can see how people get hooked on that shit.

Last year I went from the highest high at the Cotton Bowl with the win over Blow U to the lowest low as walking to the parking lot I began to feel a pain in my back as if I had been stabbed.  Stayed hydrated back to Cowtown and met a friend for dinner around 6:30pm.  By that time, the 4 rated pain had jumped to 7 and I was sweating like a whore in church in a well air conditioned restaurant.  Halfway through the meal I won as a result of the bet made on a Texas win, I looked at my buddy and said man, I'm sorry, but I have got to get to an ER-this pain is killing me.  Left half a steak and headed to the ER where they did a scan and chilled my ass out with a morphine drip and some good painkillers.  Four hours later, awoke groggy, was given the cup to pee in to catch the little bastard if I passed it, and wife drove me home.  Three weeks later at the urologist, another scope, and nothing turned up.  Said it must have broken up and I passed it.  This was the first and I hope last time I have this experience.  Outside of cracking three ribs once, nothing compares to the pain that sumbitch put me through.  Woke up at noon the following day enjoyed reading about the game.

14 hours ago, C-Man said:

Two times for me. The first one in the summer after my senior year was the absolute worst. Had been out doing hard-core yard work for a couple of days in near 100-degree heat in SA. Naturally, I wasn't drinking enough water. Worst pain of my life. Couldn't sit still, writhing in pain in the car all the way to the urologist's office. Walked in and all the old fuckers in the waiting room were looking at me funny as my mom and I went straight from the front door to an examination room in the back. Doc came in and gave me a shot of Demerol. It only took a few minutes but it seemed like hours before it took effect. Holy hell was that a good feeling. I can see how people get hooked on that shit.

Had that after motorcycle accident 1/1/74. Really wonderful warm feeling starting with the extremities. Sorry I started feeling better.

11 minutes ago, South Austin said:

So is dehydration a main culprit?  Some vitamin or mineral deficiency?  What can I do to help avoid the horrible shit I'm reading on this thread?

It’s unique to the individual. Dehydration is certainly a factor. I have a deficiency that makes me susceptible to them. 

There’s not just one kind of stone, and the stone type, the reason they want you to catch it or the fragments in the screener, in addition to bloodwork  gives the urologist clues as to why you made the stone.   

The single serving folks are probably just dehydrated. The buffet  boys usually have a deficiency. 

Btw, the pain is generally not the stone scraping its way down your favorite bit of plumbing. It’s the stone blocking a ureter causing the kidney to be pressurized because it can’t empty to the bladder. That’s why you can’t get away from it. And it’s a unique pain that you know what it is even with the first twinges that may precede a full on attack by hours or days. 

Edited by Bobby_Batronic

I have had two episodes.  Second one, I felt the twinges coming on just like Bobby Bats said.  Leave work and go to Medical City Plano ER.  Starting to hurt pretty bad by the time they get me back to an operatory.  Stick me in there and I don't see anybody for an hour, no doctor, nurse, pain meds, nothing.  I am really hurting now, so I push the button for the nurse.  10 minutes later, one finally shows up and I tell her that I am really in pain.  "OK, I'll tell the doctor."  15 minutes later, I feel like I'm going to throw up from the pain.  Call nurse again, wait and wait and wait, and end up throwing up on the floor.  She finally shows up and is pissed.  Gets an orderly in to mop up, still no doctor or meds.  She comes back and tells me to go pee in a cup to go to the lab.  I labor over to the restroom, start forcing some pee out, and the goddamn stone passes.  Instant relief.  So, I spent 3.5 hours in an ER with no medical care and the situation resolves itself.  In summary, fuck Medical City Plano ER, glad I wasn't having a fucking heart attack.

1 hour ago, South Austin said:

So is dehydration a main culprit?  Some vitamin or mineral deficiency?  What can I do to help avoid the horrible shit I'm reading on this thread?

My folks living out in Odessa for many years - dad got them often due to the water.  But not mom?  Turns out he has a predisposition to them exacerbated by eternal factors such as the water, dehydration, diuretics, etc. 

I am also a weary member of this club. Hit me at the coast and took 1 hr to get to the ER, pretty sure I had exited my body to go hide somewhere at that point. 

Urologist friend in Austin has created: https://www.ksptabs.com to aid in prevention. 

I have been a faithful client for the last 2 years with no re-occurance. 

Drink lots and lots of water boys. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, baboso said:

I have had two episodes.  Second one, I felt the twinges coming on just like Bobby Bats said.  Leave work and go to Medical City Plano ER.  Starting to hurt pretty bad by the time they get me back to an operatory.  Stick me in there and I don't see anybody for an hour, no doctor, nurse, pain meds, nothing.  I am really hurting now, so I push the button for the nurse.  10 minutes later, one finally shows up and I tell her that I am really in pain.  "OK, I'll tell the doctor."  15 minutes later, I feel like I'm going to throw up from the pain.  Call nurse again, wait and wait and wait, and end up throwing up on the floor.  She finally shows up and is pissed.  Gets an orderly in to mop up, still no doctor or meds.  She comes back and tells me to go pee in a cup to go to the lab.  I labor over to the restroom, start forcing some pee out, and the goddamn stone passes.  Instant relief.  So, I spent 3.5 hours in an ER with no medical care and the situation resolves itself.  In summary, fuck Medical City Plano ER, glad I wasn't having a fucking heart attack.

I bet you got hit with a hefty bill too

2 hours ago, baboso said:

That’s the real pisser. Sitting in the waiting room and then in triage for an hour to 90 mins in agony until they finally see you and give you meds. 

The last time they were insistent that they needed imaging before they’d give me anything. Finally a nurse walks by my shower stall with a bed and gasp “ You need some help!”.  Shortly thereafter the IV arrived. 

I love when they ask me to pee in a cup. If I could or I wouldn’t be in pain. 

One time the radiologist/tech missed the stone and thy sent me home. Later that morning I was in agony again and right back to the hospital. They picked up the tab for that mistake. 

Another time i woke up in the middle of a lithotripsy.  Feels like the world’s most powerful ruler slapping your back over and over. Threw up and passed back out. 

It’s not been fun. 

I've had 3. First one I had no idea what was wrong and it was before the internet was prevalent. I wallowed in self-pity and agonizing pain for about 8 hours before finally finding a doctor that would see me since i didn't have a regular family doc. I sat in the lobby for another hour and got up to pee during the wait. Was about to leave because i was sick of waiting when they finally called me back. I was actually feeling better by then. Doc asked my symptoms and he said it was probably a kidney stone, which surprised me since i was still in my 20s. Doc said I must have passed it when i took a leak while I was there.  Blood work confirmed his diagnosis.  

Second time was about 7 years later and i knew what i was this time...happened in the middle of the night. My kids were young and I didn't want to freak them out by going to the ER that time of day so i bit the bullet and rode it out. Had to go outside to puke a couple times, but after a few hours it was over.

Third time we were on vacation visiting friends in South Carolina. I was already having a sciatica bout and then the kidney stone shit kicked in. Wife was pissed that i was "grumpy" when we went to some zipline and hiking park...well no shit...sciatica is bad enough but the kidney stone took it to a whole different level. The drive back to Cypress was just a fucking blast let me tell ya..finally passed that bastard after nearly a week so it was exponentially worse than the other two.  I drink a gallon of water or so a day to hopefully never have game 4. (knocking on wood like a MFer)

TL:DR they fucking suck really bad             

Pain has subsided somewhat. If this episode has taught me anything it’s that I’m a horrible candidate for opioid addiction. I can still feel the pressure on the lower right side, which means shithead probably isn’t moving right now. All of your horror stories have kept me from wallowing in self pity. Some of you motherfuckers are tough as nails. 

Might as well go ahead and tell my story in full. Wednesday morning I feel like I'm constipated. I go back and forth to the bathroom and nothing comes out. Around noon I just go home from work (first time I've ever done that) because I just felt awful. Get back to the apartment to pee and it is bright pink. Obviously know what that is and what's coming. Thursday rolls around and I called around for a local doc who will see me and don't get an appointment until Friday morning. No big deal. Just wait a day and we'll catch the fucker before he pops out. Friday morning at 3am I get this really bad pain in my gut. 800mg ibuprofen wasn't touching it so I wake up my wife and tell her we gotta go to the ER. She drives like a damn old woman so I drove myself and she drove her car to the ER off lovers lane. We get there and they hand me the forms to fill out. I don't remember this but my wife said I threw them at her. The pain was so bad I was on the ground feeling like my head was going to pop. There were a few people in the waiting area who just stared at me on the floor and it ended up being the security guard outside who ran in to tell the staff what was going on. They gave me ketorolac which brought my pain from a 10 to a 9.9 and then finally gave me morphine. Pain totally went away. Then they had me pee in a cup and it was pure blood. CT scan showed a small stone at the top of the ureter and it was slowly making its way down. I flew to New Orleans for a pharmacy convention and went to bourbon street to hang out with friends from school. Ended up in the bathroom at one bar and just sat on the toilet for an hour. Loaded up on hydrocodone and just went back to the hotel to sleep it off. Pain was totally gone. Passed the stone and all.

Woke up in the middle of the night screaming...Wife -Ambulance? Me -Fuck yes! Rolled me into ER and was told that  I got to go to the head of the line because of my mode of conveyance. Doctor said 'we got just the thing" and hooked me up to an IV.  Pee'd into the screen and caught that fucker...miniscule!

Doc was delighted we had the culprit. Turned out I was poping Ascerola like candy for the vitamin C. Doc said that stuff was pure calcium, and so was my stone. No more Ascerola, and no more stones, so far. Not a big water fan.

• Hook 'Em 1

6 hours ago, Bobby_Batronic said:

Btw, the pain is generally not the stone scraping its way down your favorite bit of plumbing. It’s the stone blocking a ureter causing the kidney to be pressurized because it can’t empty to the bladder. That’s why you can’t get away from it. And it’s a unique pain that you know what it is even with the first twinges that may precede a full on attack by hours or days. 

I thought I'd pulled a muscle in my lower back from tearing out my parents' pyrocanth (sp?) bushes in the front in the heat. I was using an axe to get the roots out and figured I'd just pulled something. I actually didn't go to the doc until Day 2. On Day 1 I felt some serious discomfort and just stretched out on my back for 30 mins or so and the pain went away. Cropped back up again the next morning and I figured I knew what to do. Stretched out on my back for 30 mins and the pain was worse when I got back up. Not long after I was on the way to the doc.

1 hour ago, HRSchenker said:

Might as well go ahead and tell my story in full. Wednesday morning I feel like I'm constipated. I go back and forth to the bathroom and nothing comes out. Around noon I just go home from work (first time I've ever done that) because I just felt awful. Get back to the apartment to pee and it is bright pink. Obviously know what that is and what's coming. Thursday rolls around and I called around for a local doc who will see me and don't get an appointment until Friday morning. No big deal. Just wait a day and we'll catch the fucker before he pops out. Friday morning at 3am I get this really bad pain in my gut. 800mg ibuprofen wasn't touching it so I wake up my wife and tell her we gotta go to the ER. She drives like a damn old woman so I drove myself and she drove her car to the ER off lovers lane. We get there and they hand me the forms to fill out. I don't remember this but my wife said I threw them at her. The pain was so bad I was on the ground feeling like my head was going to pop. There were a few people in the waiting area who just stared at me on the floor and it ended up being the security guard outside who ran in to tell the staff what was going on. They gave me ketorolac which brought my pain from a 10 to a 9.9 and then finally gave me morphine. Pain totally went away. Then they had me pee in a cup and it was pure blood. CT scan showed a small stone at the top of the ureter and it was slowly making its way down. I flew to New Orleans for a pharmacy convention and went to bourbon street to hang out with friends from school. Ended up in the bathroom at one bar and just sat on the toilet for an hour. Loaded up on hydrocodone and just went back to the hotel to sleep it off. Pain was totally gone. Passed the stone and all.

you passed out on a Bourbon Street toilet? You didn't just pass the stone, your kidney was removed brah