Schadenfreude: laughing at the misery of Tennessee Volunteer fans

Horn Under a Bad Sign

The running back released a statement on Tuesday, saying “I want to sincerely apologize to my family, the University of Tennessee and the law enforcement community. I deeply regret my language and attitude in the video."

"I have great respect for our policemen and women, and I am embarrassed by my actions that night. That’s not who I am. I promise to be a better representative for the University of Tennessee moving forward.”

I believe the person in the video wrote this.

• Like 2

Tennessee AD Phillip Fulmer rules out return as Vols coach

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/27755421/tennessee-volunteers-ad-phillip-fulmer-rules-return-football-coach  

Fulmer said nobody at Tennessee, including Pruitt, was pleased with the Vols' start this season, but reiterated his "total support" for Pruitt and that nobody expected it to be a quick fix when Pruitt arrived last year.

"Jeremy Pruitt is as bought in as anybody could possibly be bought in at the University of Tennessee," Fulmer said.

😁

Edited by LTtxfan
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, LTtxfan said:

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/27755421/tennessee-volunteers-ad-phillip-fulmer-rules-return-football-coach  

Fulmer said nobody at Tennessee, including Pruitt, was pleased with the Vols' start this season, but reiterated his "total support" for Pruitt and that nobody expected it to be a quick fix when Pruitt arrived last year.

"Jeremy Pruitt is as bought in as anybody could possibly be bought in at the University of Tennessee," Fulmer said.

😁

Maybe Phat Phil could hire Barry Alvarez. I'm sure that fat douche would be glad to coach for a while again.

2 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

😁

The dreaded "total support" kiss of death

I’m sitting in section T about 15 rows up. A fight broke out between several players and at least one coach. Several players and coaches had to break it up. Number 58 (J. Johnson) who is not even dressed was right in the middle of it. Not a good look for the Vols. Team is at each other’s throats and imploding from within.

2 hours ago, ClubWhatever said:

I’m trying to remember how many bad to meh hires they’ve had in a row, without using Google. Keeps the mind sharp. 

Freshwater

Dooley

Jones

Current lowlife

Did I miss anyone?

And to think, the last athletic director was on the plane in route to hire Mike Leach, but UT brass fired him...

Mar 24, 2018 - Mike Leach would have taken the job with the Tennessee Volunteers if it had been offered, according to the school's former athletics director ...

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I hate to break it to you, but Tennessee still sucks. Their most impressive win came against UAB which is somewhat negated by the GSU debacle. Their SEC wins came against opponents that were a combined 13-27 in conference. Without facing an unbelievably soft SEC schedule and having 0 OOC P5 teams, there is no way this team would have a winning record. 

We're both 7-5 and mired in mediocrity. 

You and I are very much alike, Tennessee. Football is our religion, yet we have both fallen from the pure faith. Our methods have not differed as much as you pretend. I am but a shadowy reflection of you. 

raiders-indy-belloq-2.jpg

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, GabrielsHorn said:

I hate to break it to you, but Tennessee still sucks. Their most impressive win came against UAB which is somewhat negated by the GSU debacle. Their SEC wins came against opponents that were a combined 13-27 in conference. Without facing an unbelievably soft SEC schedule and having 0 OOC P5 teams, there is no way this team would have a winning record. 

On the SECN last, the comment was made "The Vols might be the best 7-5 team in America"... Yeah, sure...

2 hours ago, Bigbend1812 said:

Who’s laughing now?

Everyone ...  What did I win?

1 hour ago, GabrielsHorn said:

This is the time of year Volshiemers starts to manifest in the target population. It'll gradually build to a fever pitch next September.

giphy.gif

On 10/6/2019 at 6:43 AM, ClubWhatever said:

I’m trying to remember how many bad to meh hires they’ve had in a row, without using Google. Keeps the mind sharp. 

Freshwater

Dooley

Jones

Current lowlife

Did I miss anyone?

1 hour ago, mdmost said:

We're both 7-5 and mired in mediocrity. 

You and I are very much alike, Tennessee. Football is our religion, yet we have both fallen from the pure faith. Our methods have not differed as much as you pretend. I am but a shadowy reflection of you. 

raiders-indy-belloq-2.jpg

This my biggest fear as Longhorn fan. If we don’t get the right guy in here and we keep hiring lame duck head coaches that have shown promise at schools with no expectations, we will be the other UT by 2024.

This is the Tennessee cycle.  Been going on for years.  The schedule is front loaded.  For the last 15 or so years I lived in Knoxville, I'd witness the "Fire the coach!" crowd dwindle into obscurity each year because TN would win their last 4-5 games.  They always play an FCS school, Vanderbilt, Kentucky, Missouri, and usually South Carolina to end the year.  The 4-3 team would end up 9-3 and everyone became just happy enough to keep the coach.

20 minutes ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

This is the Tennessee cycle.  Been going on for years.  The schedule is front loaded.  For the last 15 or so years I lived in Knoxville, I'd witness the "Fire the coach!" crowd dwindle into obscurity each year because TN would win their last 4-5 games.  They always play an FCS school, Vanderbilt, Kentucky, Missouri, and usually South Carolina to end the year.  The 4-3 team would end up 9-3 and everyone became just happy enough to keep the coach.

So you're saying they're BACK!

Edited by Loco
spelling r hard
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Those poor, stupid bastards...

Crispin Powley knew he was in some trouble. He just didn’t realize the depth of his own desperation.

He thought he could turn his own misfortune into a chance to help out a friend and dig himself out of a hole.

On Sunday, he jumped the gun and purchased a pair of tickets to the Music City Bowl for $250 before the matchup was decided. The 42-year-old fishing lure designer drives five hours from his home in Camden, Tenn., for every Tennessee home game, but the only bowl he’d ever attended was the 2016 Music City Bowl. Now, Tennessee was back, and Powley was going to make a return of his own.

Instead, despite initial reports that said otherwise, Tennessee ended up in the Gator Bowl against Indiana in Jacksonville, Fla., and Powley was stuck with rapidly depreciating tickets. He called up a family of Mississippi State fans he knows with an offer for a pair of tickets to see the Bulldogs take on Louisville in Nashville.

“They laughed,” Powley said. “And said I’m about the 10th person that they personally know that called them in the same situation.”

Tennessee’s unpredictable 48 hours inside the bowl-selection bubble, during which it expressed a desire to play in the Music City Bowl before pivoting to the Gator Bowl, were a wild ride for everyone involved. Kentucky and Mississippi State found themselves pulled from one bowl to another. The Music City Bowl was left gripping with the reality that it had little to no hope of selling out a game that looked like a sure sellout when the Vols went to sleep on Saturday almost certainly heading to Nashville.

But Tennessee fans who followed the saga on Sunday too closely with a finger on the “Buy Now” button are stuck footing a bill for tickets they’re struggling to give away, much less resell to recoup at least a portion of their losses.

“I would love to know what the total amount of wasted money by Tennessee fans is over this,” Powley said.

Two Music City Bowl officials didn’t respond to a request for comment or an estimate of how many Tennessee fans purchased tickets before the bowl lineup was finalized on Sunday.

Corey Gutgsell hasn’t made it to any Tennessee games this year, but he planned on breaking that streak with an easy trip to Nashville in December.

The 48-year-old bail bondsman in Jackson, Tenn., a small town midway between Memphis and Nashville that’s coincidentally Trey Smith’s hometown, too, has three kids in college and a 7-year-old, and he recently moved to the state from St. Louis. His wife is the real Tennessee fan in the household, a Tennessee native who’s turned her husband into a Vols fan by sheer power of will and a death grip on the remote on fall Saturdays.

But he’d never been to a bowl game before.

“That’s why we were so excited,” Gutgsell said.

He woke up on Sunday and read the reports that Tennessee’s bowl game was locked in and decided to go, even though it had not been announced yet.

He bought a pair of tickets in Row A in Section 111, on the 40-yard line. His tickets were $200 each, and he nearly bought another pair of tickets next to him, assuming it would be easy to find another pair of Vols fans interested in seeing Tennessee finish its season inside state lines.

“We figured it would be a great opportunity to snag good seats,” said Gutgsell, who’s used Smith as his own entryway to develop a love of a program he once considered foreign. “I mean, we’re right on the field. But the whole thing has just become a calamity of errors.”

He and his family tuned into the ESPN show at 3 p.m. believing Tennessee’s bowl game would be announced, but even after the Vols didn’t show up on the program reserved for announcing New Year’s Six games, they saw on social media that Tennessee was heading for the Music City Bowl.

“I didn’t think in a million years they would change bowls. I didn’t understand the process, to start with. I thought they were selected for bowls. I didn’t know it was such a fluid process,” Gutgsell said. “Now, there’s thousands of tickets available. Prices have plummeted. I mean, I’ll give my tickets to you if you want ’em.”

For the next 90 minutes, Gutgsell hoped the rumors of a switch weren’t true, but after learning they were, he posted his tickets on StubHub and has dropped the price three times.

“I’ve got them down to like 125 bucks apiece now and I still don’t have any interest,” he said.

Matt Chambers, a 36-year-old who lives in Florence, Ala., and works for the Department of the Army, had just left church on Sunday when he checked his phone and saw multiple reports that Tennessee would play in Nashville. A trip from Florence to Knoxville takes more than five hours, but Nashville is less than three hours away, so he jumped at the chance because he rarely is able to make it to Knoxville for more than a handful of events each year.

“I live in Alabama and I drive a Tennessee orange Dodge,” he said.

His wife warned him he might want to wait. Fearing a price jump when demand peaked later in the day, he pounced.

Chambers bought three front-row tickets in Section 101, and he felt like he’d come away with a steal for the $397 price tag.

Later that day, he got home and logged onto the bowl website and saw advertisements for Mississippi State versus Louisville. He was confused and called Ticketmaster in hopes of getting a refund.

“They told me they can’t do anything about it and now I’m stuck with three tickets for a game I’m not going to go to,” Chambers said. “The announcements were coming from people with the blue check (verified users on social media), though, you know? That was a done deal, and all the predictions from the night before were saying Music City Bowl, so once I saw it, I pulled the trigger.”

He’s posted his tickets on Facebook Marketplace in the Starkville and Louisville areas with no luck, besides a few spam emails that were less than convincing. He’s also posted them on Ticketmaster’s resale board but hasn’t gotten any nibbles on unloading the tickets that rapidly depreciated in value.

“It’s pretty frustrating. It sucks,” Chambers said. “I’m sitting here out $400 and wondering if I’m going to get any of it back.”

Lucas Schropshier, a 26-year-old Knoxville native who moved to Nashville in April and works as a bartender, bought his tickets in hopes of seeing his first Tennessee game of the year and his first bowl game. That’s not happening anymore.

He paid $200 for his tickets, and his disappointment only worsened when, like many Tennessee fans, he’s had no luck reselling, either.

“If I wouldn’t have bought those tickets, I’d have been pumped for the Gator Bowl. That’s where I was banking on the whole time. But now, since I bought tickets and I live here in Nashville, I’m just bummed out, to be honest,” Schropshier said. “A little bit pissed off, too. I’m glad we got a better bowl, but I was mad, just like, ‘You gotta be kidding me.’ ”

Those experiences are not uncommon among Tennessee fans just looking to get a jump on a market that was sure to balloon if the red-hot Vols, winners of five consecutive games to reach their first bowl game since 2016, played their postseason game within the state.

“I saw some people I follow on Twitter had asked how many people actually ordered tickets, and there were like 20 or 30 people where I was just sitting there counting the responses like, ‘Wow.’ I didn’t know who any of them were,” Chambers said, “but there was a bunch.”

Sunday’s misinformation cost Tennessee fans plenty of money they’ll likely not recoup, with no recourse for a refund and nothing to do but count it as a lesson learned.

Next year, they’ll be a little slower on the draw.

“Let’s say I’m just trying to be the early bird and I take a shot in the dark because I believe that’s where we’re going,” Powley said. “That’s one thing. That’s on me. But when somebody announces it’s official, I’m not going to call anybody out because I believe in forgiveness and second chances and I’m going to live my life that way. But I will tell you, I will not put as much stock into their breaking news going forward after this incident. Everybody’s entitled to mistakes, but I feel like it was a competition to break something before everybody else to the point of recklessness. …

“I’m not happy about it. But it’s not the end of the world. When you’re a source of information and that’s what you call yourself and what your job is, you’re only as good as your information. And when you give people information and make them invest hundreds of dollars for nothing, you take a hit to your credibility. That’s kind of where I’m at.”

Details on last minute bowl switch:

Multiple reports Sunday had Tennessee slated for a trip just a couple hours west to Nashville for the Music City Bowl. VolQuest, Tennessee’s Rivals.com site, posted a lengthy story, citing sources, that broke down a presumed matchup with Louisville, as well as a video reacting to the Vols’ bowl destination.

Tennessee associate athletic director Tom Satkowiak even took to Twitter to express his displeasure at the day’s events.

Tennessee really was all but headed to Nashville to play in the Music City Bowl. The two sides had expected to announce the program’s return to the bowl game, where the Vols played in 2016 in their most recent bowl trip, a person with knowledge of the situation told The Athletic.

The Vols, lumped into an always amorphous Group of Six bowls with SEC tie-ins, had expressed their desire to the SEC to play an in-state bowl, and by virtue of head-to-head wins against Kentucky and Mississippi State, would be given their preference.

However, the desired choice changed on Sunday, in part because of preferences from Tennessee boosters and others. Tennessee informed the SEC and the Gator Bowl of its new preference, causing a shuffling in the bowl lineup that sent Mississippi State to Nashville for the Music City Bowl and Kentucky from the Gator Bowl in Jacksonville to the Belk Bowl in Charlotte.

“Nashville would have been a fantastic destination,” Fulmer said on Sunday evening. “They’ve done a great job with their bowl and, again, it’s another great venue and a great place. Obviously, it’s in-state, as well. The conference commissioner in the end makes the decision and asks for our preferences, and we’ve been back and forth a couple of times as to what was best, and I think at the end we landed in the right place for this football team at this particular time.”

The process left some Tennessee fans confused, and for those with the quickest draw, looking to unload previously purchased tickets for a game they suddenly had no interest in attending.

Ultimately, though, it’s a decision that makes sense for the Vols.

“Being in the group of six (bowls) we were in, I think the Gator Bowl got the hottest team going right now,” Fulmer said.

Edited by Beau Vine