Washington DC

midtown

On 8/28/2018 at 8:05 PM, Ollie Slatt said:

I am sure the locals can chime in with more informed restaurant recs.  But when there for work I have had great meals at Tosca and Rasika.  Also enjoyed Le Diplomate up by Logan Circle.  

The best thing about the Willard is the bar nuts in the Round Robin bar.  Damn things are addicting.  

I ate probably three bowls of that stuff over the weekend and it made my gas beyond disgusting.  /csb

I do like that bar though going back a decade.  Our UT group had that thing chalk full every single night this past weekend.  

33 minutes ago, Skipper said:

Le Diplomate was awesome.  It was my first visit there and was very impressed.   Also a big fan of Estadio (have been there several times). Also, I'm told both of these places are great brunch options.

Was our second time to Le Diplomate and it delivered again. Met some friends on Sunday night in Georgetown and they suggested Chez Billy, but we didn't want to eat the same meal twice so we ended up at Filomena, which we all enjoyed.

33 minutes ago, Skipper said:

Le Diplomate was awesome.  It was my first visit there and was very impressed.   Also a big fan of Estadio (have been there several times). Also, I'm told both of these places are great brunch options.

Was our second time to Le Diplomate and it delivered again. Met some friends on Sunday night in Georgetown and they suggested Chez Billy, but we didn't want to eat the same meal twice so we ended up at Filomena, which we all enjoyed.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
16 hours ago, Tailgate said:

Headed to DC Friday. Touring Georgetown with my youngest. Where’s the best steak and Asian in the area....and breakfast spots.

Aprreciate any recs.

I think the best steak is either BLT or Capital Grille. People like the Palm. Those people are very, very wrong. Morton's and Prime Rib are okay too. 

• Like 1

I’m actually about a mile from the White House on west side. Will be here for next three nights.

I did grab a steak at the ‘original’ Prime Rib in Baltimore last night (where we flew in). Was waited on by ‘The Legend’ a dude who has worked there for 45 years and was spot on. Muy bueno.

Of course my youngest wants pizza tonight so we are going to a place called II Canale in Georgetown. Glad to hear the rec on BLT. I read about it and grabbed a reservation for tomorrow. 

1 hour ago, Tailgate said:

I’m actually about a mile from the White House on west side. Will be here for next three nights.

I did grab a steak at the ‘original’ Prime Rib in Baltimore last night (where we flew in). Was waited on by ‘The Legend’ a dude who has worked there for 45 years and was spot on. Muy bueno.

Of course my youngest wants pizza tonight so we are going to a place called II Canale in Georgetown. Glad to hear the rec on BLT. I read about it and grabbed a reservation for tomorrow. 

Sorry you had to go to Baltimore. 

On 12/19/2018 at 7:34 PM, Tailgate said:

Headed to DC Friday. Touring Georgetown with my youngest. Where’s the best steak and Asian in the area....and breakfast spots.

Aprreciate any recs.

Recommend adding Rare downtown to your steakhouse list for consideration.  BLT is very good though.

For more casual spots in Gtown, I like Thunderburger.  Tombs is kind of interesting as a college bar and near the Exorcist steps.  Martin's Tavern for the JFK history. Il Canale or Filomena if you're looking for Italian.

Edited by BadgerHorn
forgot to affirm the BLT recommendation

• 2 months later...

So Mrs. CHIEF got a promotion to the head of IT, at her company.  She is going to Arlington, VA on Tuesday, April 2nd. CHIEF Jr, and I, are flying up on Thursday night and we all are hitting the Smithsonian, Holocaust, and other museums on Friday, Saturday, and possibly Sunday morning. We have rooms at the W on Friday, and Saturday night. So far, plans are for Estadio on Saturday night, and Le Diplomate for Sunday Brunch. Plan on hitting Mitsitam in the Native American museum for a couple of lunches possibly. Anything else good and close to the W for Friday night?

Sunday afternoon, we are driving to Philly for Mrs. CHIEF to meet with their company programmer, probably hit Morimoto's flagship sushi shop, hit Independence Hall, maybe see some Ben Franklin shit. 

CHIEF

So Mrs. CHIEF got a promotion to the head of IT,at her company.  She has to go to Arlington, VA on Tuesday, April 2nd. CHIEF Jr, and I, are flying up on Thursday night and hitting the Smithsonian on Friday, Saturday, and possibly Sunday morning. We have rooms at the W on Friday, and Saturday night. So far, plans are for Estadio on Saturday night, and Le Diplomate for Sunday Brunch

5 hours ago, G650 said:

What sort of spot are you looking for? Casual, high end? Type of cuisine?

Upscale, but not fine dining. No jacket required type. CHIEF Jr. is picky so no exotic veggies or sauces from root vegetables. Would like to get out at about $50-75 per person, before drinks. Thanks.

CHIEF

If your kid is picky:

Old Ebbit Grill (not great but sufficient and a good scene; good oysters)

Cafe Mozart (german food and beer; it's a dive but I will continue to recommend it)

BLT Steak on K (short ribs and hangar steak are both good and cost effective)

Those are what are near you that are not exotic. If you want your kid to pound sand, go to Rasika. That place is fantastic.

BLT Steak looks right up his alley. I'm sure he is gonna wanna hit the Wagyu Ribeye. Mrs. CHIEF is so proud of doing this whole trip for $329, out of pocket. But I bet she will shit when we drop $1500 or so on 4 days worth of meals with continental breakfast, and a relatively cheap lunch. She will eat it, rave about it, tell everyone how wonderful it was. Then, bitch at me for the next few months on how much money we blew on the trip. It will be totally worth it.

CHIEF

• Like 2

21 hours ago, CHIEF said:

Upscale, but not fine dining. No jacket required type. CHIEF Jr. is picky so no exotic veggies or sauces from root vegetables. Would like to get out at about $50-75 per person, before drinks. Thanks.

CHIEF

As mentioned, Old Ebbitt is around the corner. It's kinda gotten a little threadbare imo, but still solid choice.

Georgia Brown's is close, as is McCormick if you don'tmind a chain, or you could do P.J. Clarke's, which is a good burger.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Wanted to thank you all for the Washington recs. It was the cherry blossom festival weekend. The museums were packed, so we cherry picked the main exhibits we wanted to see. Air and Space was about 50% closed for renovation, which sucked. We saw what was left, then hit up the National Gallery of Art, Natural History, American History, and Halocaust museums. Also hit the National Archives, saw the Dec of Independence, Constitution, and Bill of Rights. The food was superb, went to BLT Steak the first night ate the wagyu ribeye, and two wagyu ribeye caps, then we walked back by The White House on our way back to the W:

WHousewalk.jpg

The next day we had lunch at one of CHIEF Jr.'s picks, Carmines. Best lasagna I've had in a long time, great place and cheap:

Carmines.jpg

Made it to Le Diplomate on Saturday night, had the Petit Plateau with CHIEF Jr., some escargot, and Mrs. CHIEF had another steak. Got out a lot cheaper than BLT Steak:

Le-Diplomate.jpg

Next morning we had brunch reservations at Old Ebbitt. Went with the bone marrow, salmon pate' and half of these oysters:

Ebbitt.jpg

After that it was off to Philly, rented a big black 740LI for the trip. Mrs. CHIEF drove a ways, then unleashed CHIEF Jr. behind the wheel:

740speedo.jpg

Stayed at the Kimpton Monaco across the street from Independence Hall, walked to Morimoto and dropped about $600 on dinner. Kobe at $45/oz. CHIEF Jr. and I ate 4 ounces each, he had the omakase, which was weird with how picky he is, but he ate it all:

Morimotos.jpg

Next day, we hit Reading Terminal Market, ate more oysters. Was gonna hit DiNic's, but was afraid we couldn't eat all of the sandwich, so I ended up with a grill cheese from Shepherd Valley Farms cheese company, insanely good. The Italian broad at the oyster counter had some really nice RATs, but we were sitting directly across from people so, unfortunately, I was unable to get pics.

Was a great time, will be going back since the Mrs. home office is in Arlington.

CHIEF

Getting back in here since I started this thread but never did that trip but I now have booked a trip in July for just me and my 12 yr old son for his 13th bday.  7/10-13.  I think DC is going to wow him since hes very inquisitive and is going to love the Bureau of engraving, Air and space, spy etc.   im letting him plan the trip including picking the hotel and what day to go to what.    I do need a reco for a nice but not 5 star dinner so he can get a bit dressed up.  Think khaki pants and a collared shirt and hopefully something other than the chuck taylors he wears 7 days a week.    That indian place looks good.  Can I get in with dark jeans and a nice button down?  I could even throw a jacket on it if needed. 

Also I want to get him out to Arlington where his great grandfather and grandmother are buried.   Now that I think about it I havent been there since I was about his age.  Anyway can I get out by public transpo or should I plan on renting a car?  I believe since I am family that I can drive onto the cemetery to my where they are buried if that makes a difference. 

Btw into BWI and out of DCA.   

Edited by midtown

Arlington is easy to get to. As HenryJames said, there's a Metro stop there, and it's like a one mile walk from Lincoln Memorial if you wanted to do that. It's going to be hot, so factor that in. 

You can definitely wear jeans to Rasika. At 13, he'd probably really like Old Ebbitt Grill, too. It's a cool old place, though the food is not exactly amazing. But it is good.

I would never rent a car in DC. Metro and Uber.

3 hours ago, midtown said:

That looks like a fun place.  Definitely suggesting that to him as a possible dinner.  

We liked it. It was only a half block from the W.

I would definitely recommend Carmine's Italian as well, it was real easy on the pocketbook and is about 4 blocks north of The National Archives building. Great spot for a quick lunch without getting too far off of the beaten path.

CHIEF