Washington DC

midtown

2 hours ago, midtown said:

I found a 4.5 star boutique hotel on hotwire for $88 with fees and taxes etc it's $425 for 3 nights.  Odds are its the Kimpton George Hotel behind the Capitol    Any reason not to jump on this?

I have not stayed there but have stayed at 4 other Kimptons in DC. 

3 of the 4 were fine -- I think the one that sucked was called the Rouge.  Best were the Mason & Rook and Monaco, which I would stay at again.  Overall, most Kimptons are fine provided you are OK with the location. 

4 minutes ago, seven said:

So how was it? Just got my confirmation today for a month from now 

It was fine. Didn't have to stand in line too long but the process of getting inside took longer than the tour. So many security checkpoints, which is understandable. The gift shop is a desk with a hutch on the side, pretty hilarious. Lots of portraits, which are cool IMO. 

I'm glad I went, just so I can say I've been inside but it wasn't some amazing experience. Pretty vanilla.

21 hours ago, midtown said:

I found a 4.5 star boutique hotel on hotwire for $88 with fees and taxes etc it's $425 for 3 nights.  Odds are its the Kimpton George Hotel behind the Capitol    Any reason not to jump on this?

Yes that area is fine plus you can drink at the Dubliner until you run out of money, and then at the Irish Times until you die.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

Staying three days next week at Liaison Capitol Hill (a couple of blocks north of the capitol). Other than a blitzkrieg tour of the Smithsonian, and the grilled cheese place, no idea what else we'll be doing.

If you had just that short a stay, what would you take your family to see? We're more into quirky than serious, fwiw, at least when it comes to non-Smithsonian type sites.

What's in walking distance of the capitol that most folk overlook?

20 minutes ago, Walden Ponderer said:

Staying three days next week at Liaison Capitol Hill (a couple of blocks north of the capitol). Other than a blitzkrieg tour of the Smithsonian, and the grilled cheese place, no idea what else we'll be doing.

If you had just that short a stay, what would you take your family to see? We're more into quirky than serious, fwiw, at least when it comes to non-Smithsonian type sites.

It doesn't get overlooked but the Newsuem is shutting down at the end of the year.  May want to check that out before it is gone.  The Spy Museum is cool.  Definitely do the monuments at night.

52 minutes ago, PhillyD said:

Often overlooked is the Botanical Gardens on the southeast side of the Capitol.  Not quirky, but a nice place to visit, free, and rarely crowded.  After you go, you can walk the monuments at night as suggested above.

Right up my alley. The family makes fun of me because my favorite ride at Disney World is "Living on the Land."

1 hour ago, txhorns said:

It doesn't get overlooked but the Newsuem is shutting down at the end of the year.  May want to check that out before it is gone.  The Spy Museum is cool.  Definitely do the monuments at night.

Damn - didn't know that.  That sucks.   We saw it last year and thought it was great.

9 hours ago, Walden Ponderer said:

Don't know that its overlooked, but hit up the Eastern Market. 

3 hours ago, Walden Ponderer said:

We pulled into town right at the tail end of the Nationals' victory parade. It was kinda weird, honestly -- all these solemn monuments all around, and something so mundane in the middle of it all. Good mental prep for running into McDonald's and Starbucks down here, too, I guess.

I was walking up 14th week before last and laughed to myself because I never noticed that one block actually has two Starbucks on it.

If you go to the National Parks Service station (there's one by the Washington Monument), you can get a Junior Ranger pamphlet. It's got activities for the kids to do, and they get a badge after completing it.

There are pamphlets for each historic site (National Mall, Fords Theater, White House).

• 1 year later...

My wife (no pics) and two kids (12 and 15 year old boys) just got back from a 7 day road trip from Texas to D.C.  Really was a trip for the books.  Seven Days and 2,935.8 miles.  Eleven states and D.C. outside of Texas.  3 days in D.C., over 45,000 steps, and even more miles to the new A&S museum in VA.  Spent the last 2 days on the road home, wherein we crossed through D.C. and 9 states.  I'm beat, and we didn't save a dime over flying, but I wouldn't change a thing.  Really a trip for the books.  Many a "Vacation" reference was made.  

"With every new day, there's fresh hope."

"That smell from the back seat is unbearable.  Oh, yes.  I know that smell."

I'm no Wulaw Horn as far as distance traveled, and we had no sex tent.  But despite an 18 wheeler trying to steer around a stalled car from a standstill and across our lane on I-85 in Charlotte, which required some Ricky Bobby style driving on my part, and several idiot drivers and one crotch rocket rider spread out across the dirty south who spend more time admiring their sisters than paying attention to the road, we managed to do the trip with no damage to the old Truckster.  The speed trap alerts on Google Maps are real life savers, especially in Virginia. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, midtown said:

I'm surprised anyone needs speed trap info anymore with speed limits so high now.

Virginia will MURDER you with speeding tickets and the limits aren’t that high there. Driving over 80 gets you a reckless driving charge. Speeding on a highway will run you about 400 bucks with court costs.

That state treats residents like an extractive resource.

• Hook 'Em 1

10 hours ago, 956 Worldwide said:

Virginia will MURDER you with speeding tickets and the limits aren’t that high there. Driving over 80 gets you a reckless driving charge. Speeding on a highway will run you about 400 bucks with court costs.

That state treats residents like an extractive resource.

And radar detectors are illegal there, but despite what the signs say, they do not check speed with aircraft.

• 3 months later...

Bumping this thread because I'm planning a D.C. trip in December with the girlfriend.  She's never been.  I grew up half of my childhood in Quantico, so my parents would take us up to D.C. all the time.  I haven't spent much time there as an adult, but my then-wife and I took our kids to D.C. for Thanksgiving break in 2018. 

For those who've been there recently during the pandemic, is it pretty much opened back up?  And any good recommendations for restaurants that are either new or survived COVID?

Everything's pretty much open now in DC. More and more places are requiring proof of vaccine so bring your card just in case. Keep in mind some Smithsonians still require you to reserve tickets. 

Some relatively new restaurants I've enjoyed are Albi, Reveler's Hour, Seven Reasons and Maydan.

Cranes, Jont and Imperfecto for more high end dining.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, South Austin said:

Bumping this thread because I'm planning a D.C. trip in December with the girlfriend.  She's never been.  I grew up half of my childhood in Quantico, so my parents would take us up to D.C. all the time.  I haven't spent much time there as an adult, but my then-wife and I took our kids to D.C. for Thanksgiving break in 2018. 

For those who've been there recently during the pandemic, is it pretty much opened back up?  And any good recommendations for restaurants that are either new or survived COVID?

The Udvar-Hazy Air and Space museum in VA is well worth the short drive.  This is not the same as the one on the mall.  The kids and I didn't enjoy the Spy Museum nearly as much as I anticipated.  We may have been worn out at that point.  We went in June and, thankfully, took the advice to make museum reservations about a month early.  There still were things that were not open at that point, but there was plenty to do.  Masks were required at the Smithsonian museums and most places at that point.  Don't know how much of that has changed.

• Hook 'Em 1

We were there three weeks ago visiting our offspring.  Pretty much everything is open.  Metro is back and running full throttle and is very easy to use.

Fair warning, though, if you are regularly or randomly drug tested:  Open dope smoking everywhere.  Literally everywhere.  You will not be able to walk past any open areas/parks/monuments/metro stations without breathing in doobage.  And yes, I'm being ironical about the testing but NOT being ironical about the rest.  You will smell it virtually everywhere you go.

21 minutes ago, smwhorn said:

We were there three weeks ago visiting our offspring.  Pretty much everything is open.  Metro is back and running full throttle and is very easy to use.

Fair warning, though, if you are regularly or randomly drug tested:  Open dope smoking everywhere.  Literally everywhere.  You will not be able to walk past any open areas/parks/monuments/metro stations without breathing in doobage.  And yes, I'm being ironical about the testing but NOT being ironical about the rest.  You will smell it virtually everywhere you go.

The National Cannabis Festival was three weeks ago. That's not a normal weekend in DC.

Edited by deac_tracy

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I don't know what your budget would be, but for me, it was worth it to get a decent hotel close to the metro lines north of the mall.  It's super easy to get around by subway.  A lot of the stuff on the mall closes at like 5 or 6, so if your hotel is in another cool neighborhood, you can head back and explore around there.

1 hour ago, miguelito said:

I don't know what your budget would be, but for me, it was worth it to get a decent hotel close to the metro lines north of the mall.  It's super easy to get around by subway.  A lot of the stuff on the mall closes at like 5 or 6, so if your hotel is in another cool neighborhood, you can head back and explore around there.

Completely agree with this.   We stayed out near Dupont Circle.  Lots of places to eat etc and only a few stops to all the touristy stuff

Any recommendations on a nice but not crazy expensive hotel in DC within walking distance of all the cool shit?

We took kids right before Covid hit the first time. So I can’t speak for current conditions other then my friends who live and work there say it’s mostly back to normal as far as tourist attractions go.

Look at the Darcy hotel. About 8-10 walk to White House. Not crazy expensive but nice. Cheap up ride back if kids are tired.

When you are at or around capital, check out we, the pizza. One block away. Small outdoor patio, great pizza by the slice. There are a few other restaurant option right there as well. (305 Pennsylvania Ave). Great spot to hit for lunch.

I found most nicer restaurants are not particularly kid friendly around dc. The only exception was Old Ebitt Grill. Which is great, has a ton of history and is on the corner across from the White House. Would highly recommend if wanting a nicer dinner w the family and can check out White House at night.

My kids liked the spy museum. If they buy into the interactive spy game, they should have fun. The 007 Aston Martin is really cool.

Hit up your congressman for a capital tour (I think they are still doing those). Well worth it. Easy to set up.

The air and space Smithsonian was under refurbishment and I imagine it I still is. Was a major disappointment due to 75% of it being closed. I heard the other one about 45 minutes is way better.

I wish we had rime to do the naval aircraft carrier museum/ tour. Would do that next time for sure.

And yes, pot smoke/smell is everywhere along with homeless people living in the parks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Hook 'Em 1

Thanks @PorscheGuy. It’s a kid-free trip. I’m taking my girlfriend who’s never been there. I grew up half of my childhood just south of DC, but have only been there twice as an adult.

I booked at the JW Marriott, which had a pretty decent rate, and is close to the White House and most of the museums.

I took my kids to the Old Ebitt Grill on a trip in 2018. I don’t remember the food being anything to write home about, but it was a cool setting and I told my girlfriend that we’ll go for one meal.

I also told her about the Spy Museum. My kids loved it, but I also thought it was cool and worth a trip.

17 minutes ago, South Austin said:

Thanks @PorscheGuy. It’s a kid-free trip. I’m taking my girlfriend who’s never been there. I grew up half of my childhood just south of DC, but have only been there twice as an adult.

I booked at the JW Marriott, which had a pretty decent rate, and is close to the White House and most of the museums.

I took my kids to the Old Ebitt Grill on a trip in 2018. I don’t remember the food being anything to write home about, but it was a cool setting and I told my girlfriend that we’ll go for one meal.

I also told her about the Spy Museum. My kids loved it, but I also thought it was cool and worth a trip.

That’s not too bad of a location. Federal Triangle is a bit soulless but you’re close to the stuff. At least one evening, hop a metro train and go out to Adams-Morgan. Great place for bars and food and you need to see DC away from the mall.

Thanks [mention=2882]PorscheGuy[/mention]. It’s a kid-free trip. I’m taking my girlfriend who’s never been there. I grew up half of my childhood just south of DC, but have only been there twice as an adult.

My bad on the recs for kids/ families. We went without kids and thought old town Alexandria was cool at night. Lots of options.

Have fun. Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk