Washington DC

midtown

We’re at the W now and seems pretty central.  Tomorrow I’m driving to Monticello for the day while my wife is doing a mock for a Supreme Court case on Monday.

We walked through the new Trump hotel that was the Old Post Office and it was just gaudy. 

13 minutes ago, gaspar said:

We’re at the W now and seems pretty central.  Tomorrow I’m driving to Monticello for the day while my wife is doing a mock for a Supreme Court case on Monday.

We walked through the new Trump hotel that was the Old Post Office and it was just gaudy. 

Have lunch at Michie Tavern.  Family style dining, southern comfort food,  Pretty close to Monticello

Actually the National Cathedral has always been the highest in real terms.  The tower is 300 feet and sits near the highest point in the city, making it about a 700 foot view, topping the Monument's 558 feet (555 for the structure and 3 feet for its elevation above sea level).  It's an underrated and really cool trip.  Kids would love it plus it's not far from the National Zoo.

cathedralview2.0.jpg

890580564_0c296f4b2c_b.jpg

Edited by phdhorn

2 hours ago, gaspar said:

Will do now - you’re the third person who recommended the place. 

It's old old school. Pretty little renovated spot on the side of the mountain below Monticello.  

Fried chicken, ham, meatloaf sometimes, potatoes, collards, green beans, cobbler, pies, cakes,  all served family style.  

Sweet tea, but its too damned sweet, so ask for half sweet half unsweet tea and stir it up good.

The Cathedral is definitely on my list.  We're actually staying pretty close to there and the zoo.  Do you have to pay for a special tour to go up in the Cathedral tower, or does regular admission include it?

I bet their website has that info, but I like asking here first.

3 hours ago, miguelito said:

gaspar, did you go up in the tower of the Old Post Office?   They say it's now the highest view in DC until the Washington Monument is repaired.

It's the Trump International Now.  Fat Guy with the Comb Over out front shoulda told ya.

I'm not certain you can go all the way up the Cathedral right now (that part was closed for some time) because it is still being repaired from the earthquake a few years ago that they were under-insured for.  However, the Cathedral is still worth going to even if you can't take in the view from the top.

I'm pretty sure that the Bell Tower is open, which is usually the highest point you can get to.  The earthquake caused a good bit of minor damage, and you're right that their funds/insurance were paltry/nonexistent, but the Bell Tower was rendered safe by engineers.  If you go to their site, they advertise the Bell Tower tour, about 75 mins. at the cost of $40.  That's a little steep, but many Euro cathedrals charge for either entrance (which includes "climbs to the top" usually), or at least a fee to climb to their highest point (e.g. Notre Dame's about $11 U.S., Pisa tower about $25-$27 U.S.).

But yeah the Cathedral is a mess financially; they've secured funding from the Feds (which includes matching requirement from the Cathedral) and is beginning a huge fundraising drive to overhaul what hasn't been done so far (only about 1/3 has been renovated).  Maybe that's why the price is so high.

Anyway it's a gorgeous place and worth at least a visit to the building and surrounding grounds.  Very peaceful, etc.

On 4/13/2018 at 8:59 AM, miguelito said:

gaspar, did you go up in the tower of the Old Post Office?   They say it's now the highest view in DC until the Washington Monument is repaired.

Nope, didn’t make it up there. The views from the POV bar on the roof of the W are nice. 

• 3 months later...

Taking the wife & mother in law (yes, I know) to DC in late September. I'm curious about the weather. Living in Oklahoma (much like Texas), I'm used to wearing shorts until late October or later. I checked a few weather sites, they call for highs in the upper 70s, lows in the low 50s. The last time I went, it was late May and I didn't need anything but shorts. I'm packing pants, just in case, but what about a jacket? I don't want to pack things I won't need.

• 2 weeks later...

There's a range of options, are you thinking Smithsonian? The 14th St corridor puts you in the thick of that, the WH, Washington Monument etc...

There's every range of hotel there from cheap to the Mandarin. Up on 15th you get some higher end hotels and closer proximity to DuPont and such.

Proper 21 is right around the corner. It's a pretty generic sports bar. I like to drink at P.J. Clarke's bar and watch games personally, it's maybe 8 blocks away or so? Exchange is maybe half that, probably my best suggestion to be honest.

• Like 1

I am sure the locals can chime in with more informed restaurant recs.  But when there for work I have had great meals at Tosca and Rasika.  Also enjoyed Le Diplomate up by Logan Circle.  

The best thing about the Willard is the bar nuts in the Round Robin bar.  Damn things are addicting.  

Willard is a great location but the rooms are lacking in comfort and modernity.  But then again, you can wake up and yell at Trump from the shitter.  

51 minutes ago, drewcifer said:

The wife and I ate at Le Diplomate when we were there back in March and she hasn't stopped talking about it since. We're going back on Friday night before the Maryland game on Saturday.

You should check out Mirabelle.

In no particular order, I like to eat at Mirabelle, Equinox, CityZen and 1789 in Georgetown for upper end. PJ Clarkes for cheesburgers. Old Glory was a great burger spot but has gone out of business sadly.

I like to drink at Quill at the Jefferson or the St. Regis bar, but I am rarely out without at least a sports jacket on and drink martinis so take my opinion for what it's worth. BatesHorn told me I was one of the olds and unhip. Lots of quality drinking establishments in your immediate vicinity though.

In no particular order, I like to eat at Mirabelle, Equinox, CityZen and 1789 in Georgetown for upper end. PJ Clarkes for cheesburgers. Old Glory was a great burger spot but has gone out of business sadly.
I like to drink at Quill at the Jefferson or the St. Regis bar, but I am rarely out without at least a sports jacket on and drink martinis so take my opinion for what it's worth. BatesHorn told me I was one of the olds and unhip. Lots of quality drinking establishments in your immediate vicinity though.

Thanks taparep

Went over the weekend for the Maryland game which blew but had a great time in the city. Stayed at an AirBnB in Foggy Bottom next to GWU. It was about a 20 minute walk to the Lincoln Memorial. The Blue Line was just under 5 minutes away. The Metro system is great. Didn't have any issues. Took the Blue Line out to FedEx. Took the Green Line out to the Nationals ballpark on Friday. First time seeing the WW2 memorial. That was fantastic. So well done and the wall of stars was very moving. I'm planning to go back in a year or so with the kids and make a good 4-5 days of it. I had been when I was a kid and in my late teens. Only thing that sucked was the balls hot weather. 

Went to Bluejacket before the Nats game and then to Churchkey on after the game. Both were great.  We went to Georgetown after the Maryland game and ate at Pizzeria Paradiso then walked over to the Exorcist Steps before going to The Tombs Bar and The Sovereign. Sovereign had a great beer selection. All in all a really nice trip minus the shitty UT performance.