Washington DC

midtown

On 9/9/2022 at 8:24 AM, BHMCruiser said:

Does anybody still go to the Hawk & Dove anymore? That used to be the best bar on the Hill.

I mean Stuart Long relinquished ownership over a decade ago and it came back under new ownership and not nearly as gritty. But by god, for Texas staffers of a certain era Hawk & Dove > T Coast > Smith Point was an epic night. On a related note, so weird to see how Bo Blair and Reed Landry became somewhat legit breaking out of Georgetown from their LNS days. DC has changed immensely. 

• Hook 'Em 1

22 hours ago, We’reTexas said:

I mean Stuart Long relinquished ownership over a decade ago and it came back under new ownership and not nearly as gritty. But by god, for Texas staffers of a certain era Hawk & Dove > T Coast > Smith Point was an epic night. On a related note, so weird to see how Bo Blair and Reed Landry became somewhat legit breaking out of Georgetown from their LNS days. DC has changed immensely. 

I went in on Saturday after the World Cup and the interior looked like a new Bombshells location. The bartender was friendly, but I left after he told they were out of Guinness. 

Next door at the Tune Inn wasn’t much better. Bartender poured me a half Guinness at the tap, and then screwed around on his phone and in the kitchen for like 15 minutes without acknowledging me again. I walked out. 

If there are drinking options on the Hill, I didn’t see many. 

Dining on the Hill/Mall wasn’t much better. I had lunch at the Capitol today and the chicken and greens slammed for a cafeteria. 

There are definitely some food/bar/liquor deserts in Greater DC I wish I had been aware of. 

I had fun, but the no liquor stores in Virginia shit really threw me for a loop. It also wouldn’t kill them to put a half assed bar within a mile of the Smithsonians. 

• 1 year later...

Anyone have any good dinner/date night recs? Will be staying in Capitol Hill area and my understanding is that it’s kinda slim pickings, but would like to not have to go too far from that area. Not necessarily looking for a steak house type place, just somewhere the wife and I will enjoy before I meet up with some friends after to watch the Sugar Bowl.

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/6/2023 at 5:11 PM, Etexhorn13 said:

Anyone have any good dinner/date night recs? Will be staying in Capitol Hill area and my understanding is that it’s kinda slim pickings, but would like to not have to go too far from that area. Not necessarily looking for a steak house type place, just somewhere the wife and I will enjoy before I meet up with some friends after to watch the Sugar Bowl.

I didn't know Capitol Hill like others--played pool and watched football in the basement of Zack's, by myself or with a woman.  Occasionally would order a pizza upstairs along with $2 pitchers, which were small but good for at least two beers.  Occasionally would go to Cap Lounge and play pool with the lobbyists.  Mickeys was my other hangout--now long gone, and probably so is Mickey.  Little Pub was the last of the pool hangouts and the old timers, now mostly gone.  Henry's and Bullfeathers are still there, but don't expect fine dining, and so is the Monacle.  Also the Ugly Mug on 8th, is a few doors down from where I used to live.  

Bombay Street Food on 8th street in Capitol Hill: really spicy, try Lamb Vindaloo, otherwise Lamb Korma is great, Chicken Tikka Masala, ask for extra rice, split a Taj Majal, or drink a full bottle.  Pizza, maybe try Matchbox for personal sized pizza, Belga Cafe or Carusos Grocery for fine dining.  Trustys is a good drinking bar and the psychotic bartender used to work door at Pour House or Cap Lounge, and there's Duffys on H, along with The Vic for soccer, the Pug (one of the owners used to work at Cap Lounge) is great for artists, late night wtf mini Emo's is Jimmy Valentine's Lonely Hearts Club, this should get you started.

Texas Exes meet at Penn Quarter Sports Tavern to watch the Sugar Bowl (South of Chinatown).  

Edited by Mdhorn
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Mdhorn said:

I didn't know Capitol Hill like others--played pool and watched football in the basement of Zack's, by myself or with a woman.  Occasionally would order a pizza upstairs along with $2 pitchers, which were small but good for at least two beers.  Occasionally would go to Cap Lounge and play pool with the lobbyists.  Mickeys was my other hangout--now long gone, and probably so is Mickey.  Little Pub was the last of the pool hangouts and the old timers, now mostly gone.  Henry's and Bullfeathers are still there, but don't expect fine dining, and so is the Monacle.  Also the Ugly Mug on 8th, is a few doors down from where I used to live.  

Bombay Street Food on 8th street in Capitol Hill: really spicy, try Lamb Vindaloo, otherwise Lamb Korma is great, Chicken Tikka Masala, ask for extra rice, split a Taj Majal, or drink a full bottle.  Pizza, maybe try Matchbox for personal sized pizza, Belga Cafe or Carusos Grocery for fine dining.  Trustys is a good drinking bar and the psychotic bartender used to work door at Pour House or Cap Lounge, and there's Duffys on H, along with The Vic for soccer, the Pug (one of the owners used to work at Cap Lounge) is great for artists, late night wtf mini Emo's is Jimmy Valentine's Lonely Hearts Club, this should get you started.

Texas Exes meet at Penn Quarter Sports Tavern to watch the Sugar Bowl (South of Chinatown).  

This last bit, that is excellent info. 5 min from where we’re staying… thanks!

On 12/6/2023 at 4:11 PM, Etexhorn13 said:

We stayed in Capitol Hill a few years back and really enjoyed Ambar. Balkan food, which is something you don't get a lot of in TX. You pay one price/person for unlimited small plates, tapas style. It was very good and fun to try a bit of everything.

There was a good seafood place on a busier road, my wife said the oysters were really good. Can't remember the name though.

• Hook 'Em 2

• 2 months later...

So I'm just back from DC over Spring Break, because I suppose that as a citizen of the Republic it was required that I take my children to see the monuments and everything at least once.  So just a few quick hits.

Hotel: We looked at a variety of properties, but we ended up at the Mayflower for two reasons.  First, the location is great, with the Farragut North Metro stop at the end of the block (and the Farragut West stop a block away).  Second, we were able to get a two-room suite for a pretty decent rate.  Not a lot of newer properties have two-bedroom suites anymore, but that's kind of a nice feature when you are traveling with the family.

That being said, it's an old property that is maybe in need of a renovation.  I mean, it's not that anything is bad.  it's just that the furnishings and the bathroom seem a bit antiquated.  But look--you're staying in a 100-year old hotel; maybe that's part of its deal.

Restaurants: I'm going to tell you--the second happy hour at Old Ebbitt Grill from 11:00 PM to 1:00 AM is hard to beat.  Champagne, martinis, and oysters are all deeply discounted, and the people watching is pretty unparalleled.

For Spanish, Taberna del Alabardero was really very good.  I think the mains are maybe a bit pricey--a $75 roast suckling pig was great, but . . . it's still just pork.  Perhaps the best plan would be to go there for tapas and then hit up OEG for late-night happy hour oysters.  

Out in Georgetown, we really liked the Sovereign for both drinks and Sunday brunch.  That's a pretty cool place.

Museums: The Udvar-Hazy Air & Space annex out at Dulles is really worth the trip.  Goddamn, it's a pain in the ass to get out there.  But it is really super-cool.  It's really remarkable how many one-of-a-kind airplanes they have there.

Otherwise, the Postal Museum right next to Union Station is worth an hour or two of your time.  I'm not big into postage stamps and stuff, but they have some cool things, including a letter sent from the Titanic (offloaded at Cherbourg), a letter postmarked from the Moon, and a letter sent by an inmate at Auschwitz.  Oh, and an actual British stamp issued under the 1765 Stamp Act that preceded the Revolutionary War.

The International Spy Museum was a bit controversial.  Mrs.LL and the kids loved it.  I found it just so-so.  It was a bit short on actual artefacts.  Though it did have the ice pick Mercador used to kill Trotsky.  So actually, . . . that was pretty fucking cool.  But unlike other museums in town, it's not free.  And at $30/head, I was a bit underwhelmed.  It helped that we got free admission for two of us with the suite through the hotel.

• Hook 'Em 2

43 minutes ago, Ghost of LL said:

The International Spy Museum was a bit controversial.  Mrs.LL and the kids loved it.  I found it just so-so.  It was a bit short on actual artefacts.  Though it did have the ice pick Mercador used to kill Trotsky.  So actually, . . . that was pretty fucking cool.  But unlike other museums in town, it's not free.  And at $30/head, I was a bit underwhelmed.  It helped that we got free admission for two of us with the suite through the hotel.

Thanks. We're headed up for spring break at the beginning of April and have been debating visiting the Spy Museum.  It looks like it's fairly close to Bluejacket brewery, so that works in the museum's favor.

45 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Wait.....Trotsky is dead????  WTF????

Yep--his blood is still on the fucking ice pick.

They've got a few other murder weapons in there, including the umbrella used to kill Markov.  But the ice pick is the showpiece of the collection.

On 12/4/2022 at 9:21 PM, closetohumping said:

If I’m gonna get murdered I’d like for it to be by the waterfront at least

On 12/5/2022 at 1:50 AM, We’reTexas said:

On 12/6/2022 at 12:50 AM, billfromlaketravis said:

I went in on Saturday after the World Cup and the interior looked like a new Bombshells location. The bartender was friendly, but I left after he told they were out of Guinness. 

Next door at the Tune Inn wasn’t much better. Bartender poured me a half Guinness at the tap, and then screwed around on his phone and in the kitchen for like 15 minutes without acknowledging me again. I walked out. 

If there are drinking options on the Hill, I didn’t see many. 

Dining on the Hill/Mall wasn’t much better. I had lunch at the Capitol today and the chicken and greens slammed for a cafeteria. 

There are definitely some food/bar/liquor deserts in Greater DC I wish I had been aware of. 

I had fun, but the no liquor stores in Virginia shit really threw me for a loop. It also wouldn’t kill them to put a half assed bar within a mile of the Smithsonians. 

On 12/21/2023 at 8:06 PM, Mdhorn said:

I haven't been on this thread in a hot minute. That Hawk>T Coast> Smith Point adventure was a fucking movie back in the day. 

I never cared that much for the Tune.  The Shitty service and ass food didn't make up for the cheap ish drinks and it never had the dark, "let's make some poor life choices" atmosphere that the old school Hawk had. Fun fact:  I used to live directly across the street from the rear of the Hawk.  

Ever since the Lounge died, the Hill just hasn't had a lot of quality get shitty drinking options (and it never had as much as other parts of town to begin with). 

For those that didn't hear, the man that ruled DC nightlife and pretty much sole handedly created H street died in 2020.

https://dcist.com/story/20/08/24/joe-englert-dc-restaurant-bar-owner-obituary/

26 minutes ago, Bateshorn said:

I haven't been on this thread in a hot minute. That Hawk>T Coast> Smith Point adventure was a fucking movie back in the day. 

I just checked and Lauriol Plaza is somehow still in business? Now that is a blast from the past. 

Posted (edited)
50 minutes ago, Bateshorn said:

I never cared that much for the Tune.  The Shitty service and ass food didn't make up for the cheap ish drinks and it never had the dark, "let's make some poor life choices" atmosphere that the old school Hawk had. Fun fact:  I used to live directly across the street from the rear of the Hawk.  

Ever since the Lounge died, the Hill just hasn't had a lot of quality get shitty drinking options (and it never had as much as other parts of town to begin with). 

For those that didn't hear, the man that ruled DC nightlife and pretty much sole handedly created H street died in 2020.

https://dcist.com/story/20/08/24/joe-englert-dc-restaurant-bar-owner-obituary/

I think I understand the problem? DC is a pretty small town and The National Mall + museums + the zoo + government buildings + national monuments + office buildings take up a massive amount of space and there’s very little room left for bars and restaurants? And what spaces are left have extremely high rents? 

The Tombs was cool and Georgetown looked like it had potential, but it’s not walking distance from The Mall. 

Edited by billfromlaketravis
  • Hook 'Em 1

24 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I think I understand the problem? DC is a pretty small town and The National Mall + museums + the zoo + government buildings + national monuments + office buildings take up a massive amount of space and there’s very little room left for bars and restaurants? And what spaces are left have extremely high rents? 

The Tombs was cool and Georgetown looked like it had potential, but it’s not walking distance from The Mall. 

Georgetown was the epicenter of nightlife during the Bush administration but has long since fallen out of favor as the city gentrified eastward. I was as much of a Glover Park douchebag as one could be back in the day but even I was eventually trying to bang hipster chicks in the basement of Saint Ex. 

• Hook 'Em 2

10 minutes ago, We’reTexas said:

Georgetown was the epicenter of nightlife during the Bush administration but has long since fallen out of favor as the city gentrified eastward. I was as much of a Glover Park douchebag as one could be back in the day but even I was eventually trying to bang hipster chicks in the basement of Saint Ex. 

We all were, brother. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
53 minutes ago, zlavydra said:

When I lived there (1996-1998), I used to love the Brickskeller. I'm assuming it's long gone?

14 minutes ago, We’reTexas said:

Brickskeller bit the bullet year’s ago.

when I moved here in 97, on Friday and Saturday nights the cabs ran exclusively between Adam’s Morgan and Georgetown.  You could get to the bar, but getting home was a nightmare. 

Edited by Bateshorn

On 3/18/2024 at 11:40 AM, Ghost of LL said:

Museums: The Udvar-Hazy Air & Space annex out at Dulles is really worth the trip.  Goddamn, it's a pain in the ass to get out there.  But it is really super-cool.  It's really remarkable how many one-of-a-kind airplanes they have there.

Otherwise, the Postal Museum right next to Union Station is worth an hour or two of your time.  I'm not big into postage stamps and stuff, but they have some cool things, including a letter sent from the Titanic (offloaded at Cherbourg), a letter postmarked from the Moon, and a letter sent by an inmate at Auschwitz.  Oh, and an actual British stamp issued under the 1765 Stamp Act that preceded the Revolutionary War.

Ford's Theater is one of my favs, with Lincoln's death bed across the street.  Art galleries--SAM and Portrait Gallery, head to the top.  Check out the tower in the Old Post Office--Trump couldn't buy it, so it remained public and free.    Udvar-Hazy is bad ass.  I love the National Zoo bird house and monkey house. but get there early or don't go.  Also, if you get a chance, the Arboretum is awesome--with the bonsai trees and the original capital columns.  I eat and drink on my side of town--best bbq (Texas 2Fifty and grab a beer at the market). Several other breweries nearby as well or get cheap food at Franklins Brewery.  But this is Maryland, and you didn't come to DC to go to the Maryland suburbs.  But if you're going to the National Arboretum, it's not too far away.  Renwick gallery is pretty neat as well, and not far from you.     

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/19/2024 at 9:57 PM, Mdhorn said:

Ford's Theater is one of my favs, with Lincoln's death bed across the street.  Art galleries--SAM and Portrait Gallery, head to the top.  Check out the tower in the Old Post Office--Trump couldn't buy it, so it remained public and free.    Udvar-Hazy is bad ass.  I love the National Zoo bird house and monkey house. but get there early or don't go.  Also, if you get a chance, the Arboretum is awesome--with the bonsai trees and the original capital columns.  I eat and drink on my side of town--best bbq (Texas 2Fifty and grab a beer at the market). Several other breweries nearby as well or get cheap food at Franklins Brewery.  But this is Maryland, and you didn't come to DC to go to the Maryland suburbs.  But if you're going to the National Arboretum, it's not too far away.  Renwick gallery is pretty neat as well, and not far from you.     

What about National Harbor or is that just a tourist trap?

6 hours ago, BeardIP said:

What about National Harbor or is that just a tourist trap?

It's designed to keep you there, but it's interesting. There may be a ferry that takes you to both Alexandria and Georgetown, but you'd have to look that up, and it's not the cheapest.  You may even be able to take it to the wharf and see a Nats game, which is a good experience.   

• Hook 'Em 1