Charlotte v. Nashville - To Live

Rougarou

Has anyone had to pull the data and compare to make a move? 

At first blush, they both seem like the fastest growing and hottest markets in the South outside of Texas and I guess Atlanta. Both seem to have a lot of cool things going for them that come from being a not yet a "big" city. Small town feel with some big-city amenities, if you will.

Haven't dug into the Cost of living, taxes, real estate market, etc. but that will be a driving force, so any input some might have there is nice. Otherwise, qualitative comparisons and observations and experiences are appreciated! 

Edited by Rougarou

I've spent time in both for work.  I would choose to live in Nashville over Charlotte.  Traffic isn't as bad, decent outdoor recreation options, good to great entertainment district (if you like country music...).  Nashville is still Central time, which I miss immensely living in Atlanta.  No state income tax in TN, either.

• Like 1

Charlotte is hot and muggy, with marginally better food and music. Nashville is full of University of Tennessee fans, but has its own diverse cultural scene (not just country anymore). Pick your poison. Personally, I'd go with Nashville based solely on the weather, but I'm glad I'm not having to make that choice.

I lived in Charlotte for ~4yr due to work. Would not recommend it.

Sent this to a fellow coworker who also GTFO of Charlotte as soon as he could, we both enjoyed the laugh. The best part for me are the replies defending Charlotte - read those, and you see how truly lame the city is:

12 hours ago, SoCalHorn said:

Nashville has a more dynamic economy. People call it Austin in the 80s

I like Nashville, and go there for work 3-4 times a year (was there last weekend).  It’s more like Austin a few years ago, not the 80s (having lived in Austin in the 80s and again since 2000)

On 9/10/2019 at 6:58 PM, Walden Ponderer said:

Charlotte is hot and muggy, with marginally better food and music. Nashville is full of University of Tennessee fans, but has its own diverse cultural scene (not just country anymore). Pick your poison. Personally, I'd go with Nashville based solely on the weather, but I'm glad I'm not having to make that choice.

Nashville’s food and music scene is ahead of Charlotte at this point based on my time in both cities. I’m not sure how you even put the two in the same range on the music side.

Also, lol at the Austin in the 80’s comment. I’m not even sure how you come up with that comparison.

Go where the jobs are, both cities have plenty of do.

8 hours ago, Brew said:

Nashville’s food and music scene is ahead of Charlotte at this point based on my time in both cities. I’m not sure how you even put the two in the same range on the music side.

Charlotte has a huge food advantage simply because of better variety of local ingredients. "Farm to table" includes everything from apples to oysters there, so you can find all kinds of quality in practically any non-TexMex or BBQ genre... but, then, those are Nashville's weak spots, too. Nashville, meanwhile, has an awful lot of "good not great" places. I can't remember ever being blown away by a meal there, though the only bad meal I ever had there was served by one of my in-laws.

As for music, Nashville certainly has more (Raleigh is where to go in NC for music, not Charlotte), but Nashville jazz is amateur hour gone wrong. I suppose I could concede to Nashville simply because of their ability to book a band on a Tuesday evening, which Charlotte definitely does not have. My pub hopping days are long over, though, so what I look for in a music scene is different.

Been to both for work a lot. My first impulse was Charlotte because I'm an east coast guy and the getaways RIP mentioned are nice. But Nashville is surrounded by lakes and rivers. And when you factor in air travel getaways, Nashville pulls ahead despite a smaller airport. Traffic in Charlotte can be pretty terrible. Lastly, just a guess that you'll get more house for your money in TN.

3 hours ago, Bartles said:

Been to both for work a lot. My first impulse was Charlotte because I'm an east coast guy and the getaways RIP mentioned are nice. But Nashville is surrounded by lakes and rivers. And when you factor in air travel getaways, Nashville pulls ahead despite a smaller airport. Traffic in Charlotte can be pretty terrible. Lastly, just a guess that you'll get more house for your money in TN.

I will say that the Nashville airport is complete crap.  Awful gate areas, awful food/bar choices if you have to wait.  They are renovating, but it's like 3 years away until finished.

1 minute ago, AustinMT said:

I will say that the Nashville airport is complete crap.  Awful gate areas, awful food/bar choices if you have to wait.  They are renovating, but it's like 3 years away until finished.

Nashville airport is perfectly fine for what it is, but it’s definitely not designed for long layovers. It’s perfect for flying in/out of with direct flights to most anywhere, 10 minutes from parking to gate, close parking/rental car lots, live music in a few places, etc. It does not have top notch restaurant options although there are a couple that are decent. I fly out of it regularly and prefer it over most airports. If you want an airport that is complete crap, get hung up in Memphis. However, it’s an airport you can still pull into parking 30 minutes before your flight and you’re good to go.

16 minutes ago, Brew said:

Nashville airport is perfectly fine for what it is, but it’s definitely not designed for long layovers. It’s perfect for flying in/out of with direct flights to most anywhere, 10 minutes from parking to gate, close parking/rental car lots, live music in a few places, etc. It does not have top notch restaurant options although there are a couple that are decent. I fly out of it regularly and prefer it over most airports. If you want an airport that is complete crap, get hung up in Memphis. However, it’s an airport you can still pull into parking 30 minutes before your flight and you’re good to go.

I agree as far as getting to the gate (TSA lines are generally short)

The old Austin Mueller was close, easy to park, and easy to get to the gates.  It was awful

The airport is still a crowded piece of crap.  I flying in/out about 4x per year.

Edited by AustinMT

On 9/11/2019 at 5:23 PM, ShaggyBevo RIP said:

#1 should be drive somewhere else on the weekends.

2.5 hours to Asheville

3-3.5 hours to Charleston

4 hours to Atlanta, Hilton Head, or Savannah

6 hours to the OBX

This is one of the items in the Reddit above that my ex-Charlotte friends look back and laugh at. When the best thing about a city is that you can GTFO and go to all these other better cities on weekends... think about it.