Airport bars

Gil Bang

Chili’s, the answer is always Chili’s.

Been through a number of airports lately and there has been nothing worth mentioning outside of Tootsie’s in Nashville pretty much always has live music. Memphis, KC, Jacksonville, Ft Myers, Tampa, you may as well just leave and come back because security is a 5 minute process tops.

I enjoy a tipple here and there but can't imagine any place worse to drink heavily.  On a long flight you get dehydrated and hungover.  On a short flight you risk breaking the seal, then being trapped in your seat during excruciatingly long belts-on restrictions. 

24 minutes ago, 52-80 said:

I enjoy a tipple here and there but can't imagine any place worse to drink heavily.  On a long flight you get dehydrated and hungover.  On a short flight you risk breaking the seal, then being trapped in your seat during excruciatingly long belts-on restrictions. 

Amateur. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

I’ve traveled to Columbus for work several times a year for the last few years. It always works out that I have a 3-4 hour layover between flights due to the timing of the flights from home to DFW. I always end up at Papadeux’s because we can’t expense alcohol without food. Needless to say, lunch can get pretty expensive sometimes.

1 minute ago, EE2B said:

I’ve traveled to Columbus for work several times a year for the last few years. It always works out that I have a 3-4 hour layover between flights due to the timing of the flights from home to DFW. I always end up at Papadeux’s because we can’t expense alcohol without food. Needless to say, lunch can get pretty expensive sometimes.

“I’’l have a bowl of gumbo and 4 double bourbons, please”

• Like 2

Not sure of the name, but at Austin, it had Live Oak Hefe and some other brown/ porter.

Grabbed a breakfast burrito at Salt Lick and drank Live Oak Hefe's at the bar down the way by Earl Campbell's food truck from about 9AM til noon about 3 weeks ago on the way to Baltimore.

is that doing it right, because it felt right...

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

Years ago Seoul-Inchon airport had a Business Lounge day pass for $20.  Me and a couple of other members of the oilfield trash club drank them out of whiskey during a nine hour layover.

Now that I travel exclusively international business class (also oilfield trash) I specialize in doing just this sort of shenanigan. 

12 hours ago, Iceman said:

Not sure of the name, but at Austin, it had Live Oak Hefe and some other brown/ porter.

Grabbed a breakfast burrito at Salt Lick and drank Live Oak Hefe's at the bar down the way by Earl Campbell's food truck from about 9AM til noon about 3 weeks ago on the way to Baltimore.

is that doing it right, because it felt right...

Ya having a Haymaker inside ABIA is nice for beer selection on the way to the gate, but fuck the prices are insane.  I think it was $13 for an Electric Jellyfish  

1 hour ago, gecko said:

The LH business class lounge in Munich has beer on tap.....

Oh yeah, and at Berlin, Düsseldorf and Frankfurt. 

It’s a shame tho because im bloated as hell from flying on a plane for 9hrs I rarely indulge.

Also just fill a water bottle with the vodka for ur flight. I literally do everytime and have never been told shit

Edited by Doc Reeves
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, 52-80 said:

This is the most ridiculous thing I’ve ever read. And from a surly poster. Wtf

• Like 2

Back before I could fly business, me and a guy I work with were getting toe-down fucked up in one of the regular airport bars in Seoul-Inchon.  We were there from about 8:00 AM to 4:00 PM pounding pints the full time.  Some dude comes in and sits next to us and we all start shooting the shit for about 30 minutes when he needs to leave for his gate.  He tells the bartender to get me and my buddy another round and to total up his tab.  We thank him for the round, wish him a good trip, etc.

We stick around for a couple of more rounds before we need to start heading to our gate.  When we got our bill it was for only two rounds - in other words, that other dude got stuck with our 8:00 - 4:00 drankin' session.  I guess since the bill was in Korean Won he had no idea what it actually cost.

9 hours ago, gecko said:

So this is the "I'm so desperate for alcohol I'll pay anything" thread...?

I don't think there should be judging of alcohol usage, or costs, when it comes to flying.  All man-powered flight is an illusion.  Mentally, I know we're fine...almost 0% chance we crash.  I get it.  My brain loves it.  We do some reading, listen to some music, and we are good to.  My stomach, heart, sweat glands, and who knows what else don't seem to give a flying fuck about the statistics.  So Daddy needs to calm himself between AUS and EWR or SFO.  Sorry.  I deserve judgement, but I can't sleep on planes.  I mean, overseas-yeah.  But I can't just say, "Oh Lobo, let's go nappy-time at 3pm between here and LAX."  And I can't take a fucking sleeping pill, because that lasts 8 hours, and I need to be alert in hour 4 or 5.  And drugs aren't really an option on top of that.  So unless you're gonna grab the middle seat and give me a handy and maybe cup the balls, shut the fuck up you judgemental prick.  People need to not have heart attacks in the sky.  

35 minutes ago, SubliminalHorn said:

This is the most ridiculous thing I’ve ever read. And from a surly poster. Wtf

What's ridiculous , or is everyone just a liver abusing all-star? 

Long haul means 8000ft equivalent air pressure, disturbance of circadium rhythm, and typically only 3-4 hours of sleep out of 10+ hours of air time.  Add the opportunity to drink preboarding, preflight, during transfers, etc, and it's not a particularly healthy or lucid habit.

I used to abuse this because, hey, free booze.  But I feel shitty upon landing.

But now I do 1 beer in the lounge. A champagne, a wine, and a port wine on the air.  Then I wake up feeling like a baby.

A random storm hit DFW last Friday and my flight along with a lot of other flights in the terminal were just flat out cancelled.  The only seat at a bar I could find was at Pizza Hut, and I sat there from 1:30PM to 10:45PM when I finally was able to make a flight.  I wonder how many people have done 9+ hours straight at a Pizza Hut.  At least they had some Deep Ellum beers on draft.

• Like 1

A random storm hit DFW last Friday and my flight along with a lot of other flights in the terminal were just flat out cancelled.  The only seat at a bar I could find was at Pizza Hut, and I sat there from 1:30PM to 10:45PM when I finally was able to make a flight.  I wonder how many people have done 9+ hours straight at a Pizza Hut.  At least they had some Deep Ellum beers on draft.
I did 9 hours with your mom. She's just like pizza hut pizza.. Flat with lots of meat on her

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6000 using Tapatalk

10 hours ago, midtown said:

Flying through FRA and a lot of other airports is great because you can just buy 3 beers in the store and then just go sit at your gate and drink and people watch.

NRT has a 7-11 that sells beer at 7-11 prices.  Grab a sixer, find a nice window with a view of the airfield, enjoy. 

I used to fly the Africa / CDG / IAH route with the landing in Paris at 6:00 am.  I always enjoyed the Air France Business lounge due to the fact that I was totally out of Africa, and the wine and beer was ready to go, along with breakfast.  Then a nap until time to head to the gate for Houston and home. 

The CX lounges are the best I've been in as far as comfort and selection, but the AA flagship lounges are damn solid stateside. Aside from the water bottle trick, I've used the to-go coffee cups to make a to-go mixed drink many a time. The BA food selection always pisses me off. I don't want beans, curry, or rice before I get on your plane.