Tell me about the SWC

Bash Riprock

3 hours ago, Beau Vine said:

EVERYONE, with the possible exception of Rice, was paying their players back then.  Even UT.  If you don't understand that, then you've got your head buried in the sand.

SMU's problem is that they were far more coordinated in the scheme and they were a small school like the NCAA likes to make examples of.  (Of those two, the coordination involving their Board of Regents was far more important.)

And when SMU turned in TCU for paying Kenneth Davis and Jim Wacker said he knew nothing about it... that was one of the biggest lies ever told. 

I was just saying aggy and SMU were fucking things up. 

On 4/4/2018 at 12:48 PM, BurntOrangeCrush said:

I hated Arkansas almost as much as aggy. I actually went to a game in Arkansas as a kid with my dad and feared for my life walking back to the car after UT won. My first exposure to a pack of inbreds.

SMU was usually a win until Craig James suddenly appeared with hookers while complimenting Eric Dickerson on his new Trans Am that he drove from the station. Something seemed a little sketchy when they went from the sewer to one of the best teams in the nation in about 30 seconds.

Jackie Sherril was cheating at a level that made Switzer jealous, and was a world class prick. Yet he got out-pricked by John Jenkins at Cougar High. What an arrogant d-bag.

That's what I remember about the SWC.

My dad always said Arkansas fans were the only ones he'd ever encountered who could make you feel like you were a visiting fan in your own stadium. Absolute gutter trash. He was at UT in the late 60's -- before the 30-game winning streak.

I was in middle school and one of my classmates wrote "SWC #1" on one of his binders/folders. I was like "wow, that guy is a big fan of the southwest conference".

SWC actually stood for "southwest cholos", 

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

3 hours ago, Armybrat said:

DKR wasn't paying anyone and hated the cheating alums. As AD, he once threatened to kick all the BB booster club officers out of Texas athletics and ban them from the campus for as long as he was at UT. Got that straight from the club's treasurer (my brother), who said they had been considering (until Royal got wind of it)  buying a used car for a basketball player in need.

There were plenty of $100 handshakes going around and $100 bills left in lockers during home games, or so I was told.

$100 bills were in the street shoes in the lockers, not just laying around...

I am over 50 and I still hate Arky. Then again I hate Okie and Aggy just as much. 

This. If you weren’t on campus when Arky was still in the SWC then you can’t really appreciate how horrible their fans and teams where. Strollin Nolan stills make me fume. They made the SWC tournament in Dallas almost unbearable.

I laugh at Aggy and their delusions. I hate The hogs for their sh@ty fans and making me go to Fayettenam to watch football. I wish nothing but suffering on the land thieves. They win with Texas players and for that I can’t abide.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Steamboat1874 said:

I have these......

e5ca1548b280dac6bceda2970c8ec3c9--texas-

Gas stations used to give those white glasses away with a fill up. I've got a dozen or so of them - along with that many from the 1965 Orange Bowl championship (beat Joe Namath's Bama).

See them at "antique" stores now & then for $10 - $20 each.

Edited by Armybrat

Over the last couple of years I've driven down thousands of miles of backroads from Laredo to Richmond, VA -- all over Texas, Louisiana, Alabama, Georgia, the Carolinas, Tennessee, and Virginia. I've seen a lot of brokedick towns and rural squalor, but none of it comes even remotely close to the absolute travesty that is western Arkansas. Jesus Christ Almighty, those people are so trashy it's terrifying...living in trailers that are literally coming apart at the seams, yards full of mean and starving dogs, busted-up cars and rusted out appliances. 

Coming out of there and into Bossier Parish, Louisiana is like leaving Romania and crossing into, like, Norway, or something. Yes. Arkansas makes Louisiana look civilized.

90 Houston was peak loud. (Missou years later was nap time in preschool). Aggy has been exactly the same since homo heidelburgensis. And the best stuff I ever had was after Arky in 88. The SWC had it’s high points and the sewers couldn’t hide its lows. Fuck Arky, aggy and coog high forevah. 

• Like 1

On 4/4/2018 at 1:03 PM, Walden Ponderer said:

Like everything else touched by their grubby hands and souls, it was destroyed by aggy, with an assist from cheating-assed midget schools like SMU.

It was not destroyed by aggy.  It was destroyed by changes in the market.  Oklahoma successfully sued the NCAA to get access to TV revenue.  Once this happened, conference appeal to TV became ALL about the TV markets.  The SWC and the Big 8 were in deep trouble because their market footprint was decidedly smaller than that of their rival conferences.  Dodds and Joe Castiglione pow-wowed and agreed to a 10-team league by adding UT and A&M to the Big 8.  A hasty meeting was called shortly thereafter in Austin with Pete Delaney and Ann Richards.  These two, threatened to withhold state funding to the two largest school systems if Tech and Baylor were not allowed to tag along.  The Big 8 said, "Sure, whatevs."  The big dogs were already working on a revenue distribution model that would neuter programs like Tech and Baylor anyway so two more scroats to cut was no big deal.

So, what killed the SWC was the fact that the SWC was a relic of a different era.  When the revenue model changed it was no longer viable and it died as a result.  UT didn't kill it, aggy didn't kill it.  It just went extinct.

Edited by Clarence Beeks
  • Like 2

On recruiting visits Barry Switzer would tell recruits hoping to make it to the NFL this-

“Son, you can go to Texas and maybe have five or six games a season broadcast on the Raycom network , or you can come to OU and be seen on the major networks every weekend.”

Fuck Switzer, but he was pretty much correct.

In a 1973 halftime show, Rice's marching owl band (the MOB), in one of their early performances, put on a show that mocked the traditions aggy holds sacred. The MOB goosestepped onto the field and marched in the aggy "T" formation while beginning to play the war hymn and then sliding into the "March of the Wooden Soldiers". The MOB also made fun of aggy's mascot,  Reveille, by forming a fire hydrant while playing "Oh Where, Oh Where Has My Little Dog Gone?". Then, the MOB formed a senior boot calling it "the greatest thing to happen to aggyland since the manure spreader".  Well, aggy disapproved of the performance. They threw seat cushions and drink cups from the stadium's top deck and there was a sideline scuffle.  Police stepped in to calm things down before the beginning of the third quarter. After the game,  a crowd of hundreds of aggys formed a mob outside the gates of Rice Stadium, trapping the Owl band in a tunnel for hours until empty food service trucks were sent to the rescue.  Late in the evening,  the trucks pulled out of the stadium with MOB members hidden safely inside.

Aggy gonna aggy.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

On 4/5/2018 at 6:11 AM, kopp0e said:

TAMUBand.gif 

When that guy had the epiphany "maybe i'm not an actual respected soldier"...

Ya gotta love how the security guy goes after the cheerleader instead of the guy with the sword. And how the SMU guy is ready to clock the security guy until he realizes he's security.

On 4/5/2018 at 2:59 PM, Mez2 said:

I was in middle school and one of my classmates wrote "SWC #1" on one of his binders/folders. I was like "wow, that guy is a big fan of the southwest conference".

SWC actually stood for "southwest cholos", 

You went to school with Vic?

23 hours ago, Clarence Beeks said:

It was not destroyed by aggy.  It was destroyed by changes in the market.  Oklahoma successfully sued the NCAA to get access to TV revenue.  Once this happened, conference appeal to TV became ALL about the TV markets.  The SWC and the Big 8 were in deep trouble because their market footprint was decidedly smaller than that of their rival conferences.  Dodds and Joe Castiglione pow-wowed and agreed to a 10-team league by adding UT and A&M to the Big 8.  A hasty meeting was called shortly thereafter in Austin with Pete Delaney and Ann Richards.  These two, threatened to withhold state funding to the two largest school systems if Tech and Baylor were not allowed to tag along.  The Big 8 said, "Sure, whatevs."  The big dogs were already working on a revenue distribution model that would neuter programs like Tech and Baylor anyway so two more scroats to cut was no big deal.

So, what killed the SWC was the fact that the SWC was a relic of a different era.  When the revenue model changed it was no longer viable and it died as a result.  UT didn't kill it, aggy didn't kill it.  It just went extinct.

Who's Pete Delaney?

On 4/5/2018 at 2:43 PM, C-Man said:

My dad always said Arkansas fans were the only ones he'd ever encountered who could make you feel like you were a visiting fan in your own stadium. Absolute gutter trash. He was at UT in the late 60's -- before the 30-game winning streak.

Nebraska fans were this way.  The final ISU/Nebraska game was easily the most hostile, charged atmosphere I've ever seen among fans. There were 5-10K of those fanny pack wearing "GO BIG REEEEDDDD" chanting Runza eating mongrels at Jack Trice.  Fights were breaking out throughout the stadium.

For as much as they pride themselves on being the "greatest fans in college football" when you visit Lincoln, they practically turn feral on the road.

On 4/5/2018 at 12:30 PM, Thiefery said:

If College Football got itself corrected and shared one big pie, I wouldn't mind if they re did divisions and brought the old SWC back

Except NO aggy AT ALL.  Hundred Year Decision.  They be gone.  They stay gone.

I would rather have total chaos and we go independent than let them back in to Texas.

23 hours ago, Clarence Beeks said:

UTIMCO was never on the block.  That's a bayler fantasy.  What Ann did was get bayler in to SMU's spot.  Tceh was always part of the package.  The Dodds breakaway move was the first attempt to go west.

re: the last game at pyle, MaxHorn has the bestest story from that day and i'll defer to him....

re: pig yes the hate is still there but they've had their comeuppance in the secsec and i would take pig and lsu as a package in a heartbeat.  pig/aggy at the deathstar is not even a question anymore.  the day pig finally win that game, aggy season is fucked.  that game provides the oxygen supply for the annual aggy roller coaster.

pig is now accessible; US69 from the red river up through methland was still 2 lanes in sections well in to the 80s.  Drake Field was often fogged in and forced commercial diversions to Ft. Smith, followed by a twisting/turning 2-hour bus crawl up US-71.  Dallas to 'nam used to be 8 hours, it can now be done comfortably in 5.  Since pig's departure, walmart by itself turned fayettenam in to a booming microtropolis, with 4-lane modern freeway access (the Cherokee Turnpike (US-412) and I-540 (now I-49)) and XNA (opened '98) with daily nonstops to DFW, IAH, ORD, LAX, CLT, LGA, DCA, DEN, ATL, MSP,  EWR and SFO.

bottom line is fayettenam is no longer a backwater and anyone who hasn't been there in 30 years won't recognize the place.  there is fuckton of money in pigland thanks to the waltons.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Hagbard Celine said:

UTIMCO was never on the block.  That's a bayler fantasy.  What Ann did was get bayler in to SMU's spot.  Tceh was always part of the package.  The Dodds breakaway move was the first attempt to go west.

In the last 20 years, it's arguable that SMU would have been a better addition for the XII, as in better location & academics... 

(If possible) either or both of Rice & SMU back to the P5 ranks would be good, remember there are power league(s) that added Rutgers & Louisville...

In a 1973 halftime show, Rice's marching owl band (the MOB), in one of their early performances, put on a show that mocked the traditions aggy holds sacred. The MOB goosestepped onto the field and marched in the aggy "T" formation while beginning to play the war hymn and then sliding into the "March of the Wooden Soldiers". The MOB also made fun of aggy's mascot,  Reveille, by forming a fire hydrant while playing "Oh Where, Oh Where Has My Little Dog Gone?". Then, the MOB formed a senior boot calling it "the greatest thing to happen to aggyland since the manure spreader".  Well, aggy disapproved of the performance. They threw seat cushions and drink cups from the stadium's top deck and there was a sideline scuffle.  Police stepped in to calm things down before the beginning of the third quarter. After the game,  a crowd of hundreds of aggys formed a mob outside the gates of Rice Stadium, trapping the Owl band in a tunnel for hours until empty food service trucks were sent to the rescue.  Late in the evening,  the trucks pulled out of the stadium with MOB members hidden safely inside.
Aggy gonna aggy.

One of my favorite aggy stories because
1) it’s true
2) it sounds like something outta fucking Animal House complete with over ragey (fake) rotc and Delta House (MOB).

On 4/8/2018 at 6:19 PM, pyrohornIII said:

I always heard Bob Bullock had more to do with the inclusion of Baylor than Richards.  He was Lt Governor then and an alum of Baylor Law School.

This is true. Bullock's word was law. Richards was a pretty good public speaker, but Bullock was an old school machine politician. Once he decided Baylor was in... Baylor was in.

On 4/5/2018 at 12:43 PM, PhillyD said:

Absolutely.  Eight teams per conference would also allow marquee out of conference scheduling.

Eight 10-team conferences in Division 1-A. Round-robin schedule, conference winners to the playoffs. Last place in each conference relegated to 1-AA and replaced by those conference winners. Would be insane. Only flaw is that it kind of minimizes OOC games (would be useful for playoff seeding and not much else).

• Like 1

On 4/5/2018 at 12:12 PM, DeadArmadillo said:

Armed with a deadly weapon and still got his ass kicked by a preppy cheerleader.  That sums up Aggie like nothing else

That wimpy cheerleader saw that he was facing a Warrior of the Corps and that in itself inspired him to attack with unwonted ferocity, out of respect for Aggy Tradition.

That's why Nick Saban wins so much. His guys have survived a match with Texas A&M, so nothing else scares them.

Don’t sleep on SWC basketball. So many colorful characters. Abe, Eddie Sutton, Shelby Melcalf, Guy V Lewis, Gerald Myers. Games against Rice at the Jungle Gym or at aggy in the Hollerhouse on the Brazos. Then Strollin Nolan and Tommy P. 

It wasn’t great basketball. But it sure was entertaining. 

Edited by Jive Turkey

21 hours ago, Jive Turkey said:

Don’t sleep on SWC basketball. So many colorful characters. Abe, Eddie Sutton, Shelby Melcalf, Guy V Lewis, Gerald Myers. Games against Rice at the Jungle Gym or at aggy in the Hollerhouse on the Brazos. Then Strollin Nolan and Tommy P. 

It wasn’t great basketball. But it sure was entertaining. 

Fuck that, it was great, especially in the early 80s!

Phi Slamma Jamma at Houston.  Joe Kleine, Alvin Robertson, and Darrell Walker at Arky.  SMU had some really good years.  Bubba Jennings and Sean Gay at Tech could beat you by themselves.  The Dennis Nutt Horned Frogs were tough.

Best of all, you had Frank Fallon and Rudy Davalos calling the Raycom Game of the Week.

• Like 1

Phi Slamma Jamma at Houston.  Joe Kleine, Alvin Robertson, and Darrell Walker at Arky.  SMU had some really good years.  Bubba Jennings and Sean Gay at Tech could beat you by themselves.  The Dennis Nutt Horned Frogs were tough.
Best of all, you had Frank Fallon and Rudy Davalos calling the Raycom Game of the Week.

BMW says hello along with Chillin’ Alvin Heggs (can’t remember how to spell his last name)

And some small forward we just called Windex. Can’t remember his name now.

• Like 1

I am 33 so kind of too young to get the Arkansas hate. And have a much better memory of the Big 12 vs the SWC.  Big 12 formed when I was about 12 so I actually am much more familiar with the Nebraska rivalry we built up much more than Arkansas. The only 2 Arkansas games I remember perfectly is 2003 and 2004. 

2 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:

I am 33 so kind of too young to get the Arkansas hate. And have a much better memory of the Big 12 vs the SWC.  Big 12 formed when I was about 12 so I actually am much more familiar with the Nebraska rivalry we built up much more than Arkansas. The only 2 Arkansas games I remember perfectly is 2003 and 2004. 

I'm 38 and remember the Nolan Richardson vs Penders games..  Richardson had some talented teams , shame the Todd Day, Oliver Miller, Lee Mayberry teams didn't win the championship....NOT

28 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

The Hogs had the Triplets late 70s, SMU with Jon Koncak, Aggies with Britton and Smith, Abe wanting to rip Eddie’s Sunday clothes

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Thiefery said:
I'm 38 and remember the Nolan Richardson vs Penders games..  Richardson had some talented teams , shame the Todd Day, Oliver Miller, Lee Mayberry teams didn't win the championship....NOT

When we had to play Arkansas in the elite 8 in 1990 that really sucked. We could have made the final 4 that year. Maybe.

89-90 Horns

1989_90_05.jpg?width=1128&height=635&mod

Edited by TexasBeta
  • Like 2

I loved the Triplets so much that it made it difficult for me to hate Arkansas once their fans turned shitty after they won it all.

I don't know about football, but Arkansas basketball fans used to be great.  They would fill road arenas, and they appreciated good basketball.  That all changed at some point. 

Edited by Beau Vine