The Minister of Culture

Machinator

No, what do you do? You get another brilliant idea, a special idea. Another situation, another stock to reinvest his earnings and then some. And he will, every single time. Cause they’re fucking addicted. And then you just keep doing this, again, and again, and again. spacer.png

2 hours ago, Machinator said:

Instead, as the planning stages began, there sat McConaughey, a scratchpad full of ideas at his fingertips, interjecting his thoughts during meetings that sometimes lasted upwards of eight hours. Del Conte realized this was no ordinary famous fan, the AD’s phone pinged with voicemails or texts when McConaughey has another epiphany he is eager to share.

• Like 2

The two discovered they attend the same church, and McConaughey invited Ehlinger to meet up sometime. There’s a hiccup in the schedule for this upcoming Sunday, though, and Ehlinger hopes they can make other arrangements. McConaughey steals a piece of paper, borrows a pen and scribbles down his email, apologizing that he doesn’t remember his cell phone number. “Gotta change it a lot?” Ehlinger asks. “Nah,’’ McConaughey says with a chuckle. “I just never call myself.’’

So awesome!

I apologize, but I’m not the fan of MM in the same way some of you are. I have met the guy a few times, and by most accounts he is a decent guy, and I get his ties to the university. But egregious and constant self promotion is verboten in my playbook. Especially in this case where he has consistently hung his hat on his efforts of philanthropy in Louisiana. Yesterday was one of the few times he didn’t throw out all he has done for New Orleans. And why he takes the kids there.

Now, had he actually “played” football at Texas it would come across a little different. As it is, he simply looks like a kid (albeit wealthy) with nothing else to do but show his self proclaimed spirt. And do a lot of “look at me”.

• Like 2
  • Fuck You 1

5 minutes ago, Scooter Monzingo said:

I apologize, but I’m not the fan of MM in the same way some of you are. I have met the guy a few times, and by most accounts he is a decent guy, and I get his ties to the university. But egregious and constant self promotion is verboten in my playbook. Especially in this case where he has consistently hung his hat on his efforts of philanthropy in Louisiana. Yesterday was one of the few times he didn’t throw out all he has done for New Orleans. And why he takes the kids there.

Now, had he actually “played” football at Texas it would come across a little different. As it is, he simply looks like a kid (albeit wealthy) with nothing else to do but show his self proclaimed spirt. And do a lot of “look at me”.

He’s said as much, multiple times. His latest write up as MoC has him basically saying “i wish i could have played football at texas”

Dude is a good guy (sure, hes strange) but hes a better fan and alum than almost anyone on here

• Like 1

SEC Shorts - McConaughey Hijacks Stadium Speaker After LSU Game

bby TD Staff Reporter.   September 9, 2019
quote:
It was a busy day for the Texas Longhorn Minister of Culture, Matthew McConaughey. First an appearance as the guest picker on College Gameday, then the all important role of sideline cheerleader for the Longhorn's massive game against LSU. Unfortunately, Joe Burrow made sure the Tigers left Austin with a win. They also left a broken in spirit McConaughey who decides to hijack the stadium loudspeaker at 2 in the morning

he can't be bragging too much, i've never even heard him talk about work in Louisiana?
quick google check... are you talking about that Just Keep Living foundation? seems legit. 

Same here. Not sure it’s egregious. I’ve never heard him say a word. Didn’t know it was a thing.
Not an Uber fan but I love him for his love of The University.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

On 9/8/2019 at 8:12 AM, Scooter Monzingo said:

Did you read The Athletic story at the top of the thread?  It paints a pretty thorough portrait of his love for and engagement with The University.  I will not begrudge anybody who clearly cares for UT as deeply as he does, and he comes across as very genuine in that respect.

As for the Louisiana thing, like others, I have never hear him mention it once.  I think you might be suffering from a bit of confirmation bias on that front.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...