2018 San Francisco Giants Thread

UT Lawnghorn

I'm not sure why I'm even starting this at this point because things already do not look good.

We were an absolute dumpster fire last year after being projected as a wild card preseason. If a player could get hurt or have a bad year, they did. The front office seemed to chalk that up to very bad luck and was betting our players could return to the mean while dishing out some modest prospects for aging vets like McCuthcen and Longoria.  Clearly, the front office wanted to keep the window open for another year or two while the franchise has cornerstones like Posey and Bumgarner (oh great he's out 8 weeks to start the season) even if the odds of the team winning another title are quite low.  I wasn't a big fan of the moves but I guess I can sort of understand the FO's thinking.  

The team started out winning its first two games against our hated rivals by a score of 1-0, both with Joe Panik home runs. Fast forward 3 games and ...

a62a93f93010826d4e3a662fe93e68677cc9c4ee

Edited by UT Lawnghorn

It's really tough to stay up until midnight every weeknight for west coast games if they're going to score 3 or less runs every game. On the other hand, that means if the starter gives up 4 or more runs you can go ahead and turn it off and go to sleep.

It's way too early to panic but you'd think a hot start is almost a necessity with this team. With the age of the team, stints to the DL are almost a given as the season wears on.

I am totally ok with the moves that were made. They stayed under the luxury tax, and they did enough to try to compete this year. The problem is that suckage is coming soon, they're going to have to recharge the farm system at some point and stash some prospects.

2 hours ago, kopp0e said:

Well, lets hope for some good luck on August 3 this summer when I take my daughter to see the Giants play the D-Backs at Chase Field in Phoenix..!

That's a fun trip. Went two years ago, and stayed in downtown PHX and walked to the Saturday and Sunday games. If they still do the churro dog at the ballpark, get it. Unless you already have the diabeetus.

I am going to PNC the weekend of May 11. I wanted to do Coors for the first time, but no weekend series in Denver.

Fun game last night for those of you who stayed up and said F Sleep.

McCutchen had a beautiful AB to draw a bases loaded walk and then the Giants took the lead on two sac flies. It was classic SFGiants baseball, rinky dinking around the basepaths and somehow getting runs out of it. Goldy bomb in the 9th tied it back up but fortunately Cutch walked it off with a single in B9.  I think it finished up around 12:40am central time, so I would have had to check out if it went into extras.

2:45pm first pitch today...workplace productivity about to go down down down 

Still struggling with RISP. And we now have more of a patchwork starting rotation thanks to Cueto heading to the DL and Bum landing on the 60 day DL now. Luckily, Shark comes back next week, and hopefully, Cueto isn't that far behind. 

By late April, it should be Blach - Cueto - Shark - Holland - Stratton/Suarez/Beede. 

Yeah, we really need to try to hover around .500 at least until Shark and Cueto are both healthy. If we can be a little above 500 when MadBum comes back, I'll consider that a win.  Hopefully some of our vets, like Pence and Longoria can pick it up. I'm a little worried that Pence is just past his prime and doesn't have much left.  Maybe someone like Mac Williamson can get hot in AAA and get called up for support later in the season.  

• 2 weeks later...

The Giants bats have woken up some. They're 3-1 in their last 4 game with a +10 run differential over that span.  Mac Williamson has been great since he was called up. Hopefully, this isn't a two-week mirage and he can keep up good hitting and solid defense. It would be huge if he could lock down a corner OF spot for this team for the rest of the year.

Chris Stratton has been incredible to start the year and his success looks pretty sustainable. His WHIP is .94.  Cueto's been pitching great. If we combine that with MadBum and Shark coming back, we could have a pretty formidable starting rotation. The bullpen is still a bit of a weakness, but Tony Watson has been great and Will Smith should be returning soon. Who knows what's giong on with Melancon.

9 minutes ago, Alvin89 said:

Headed to SF in August for the Astros series. Any suggestions for where to sit for both games?

Anywhere. AT&T has absurdly great sight lines throughout the park. 

My favorite sections are 104-110 (lower box) along the 1st base line (visitor's dugout as well). You'll be looking out towards the bay from that vantage point. I'd recommend walking around the entire park especially along the arcade above McCovey Cove. You won't miss any action, and you'll be able to take in your surroundings which are pretty spectacular.  If you can, find a way to get into the Gotham Club behind the scoreboard. 

Just avoid the 300s. It's cold up there even in August. That's the other thing - wear layers. It will be probably be cold unless it's a day game. Even then, you'll only be warm in the sun.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Alvin89 said:

Headed to SF in August for the Astros series. Any suggestions for where to sit for both games?

Agree with everything above. IMO, the first base side, lower section is the best spot. You have a great view of the field but can also see the bay and get that bay breeze coming in during the game. Definitely bring a coat because it will get very cold if it's a night game.

Also agree that you should get to the stadium very early and walk around during BP. If you're lucky, MadBum will decide to take BP that day. I remember a few years back, I went on a day where he wasnt pitching and he decided to take BP. He was bombing the ball to all parts of the field and even hit one in the water. That dude is an absolute freak. Would also recommend grabbing some garlic fries while you're at the game.

Mac Williamson has hit a 460 foot home run and a 420+ foot home run on back to back nights, at home. Dude is crushing the ball. That one on Monday night was incredible. Almost hit it to the Bonds sign opposite field.

And our boy Belt is en fuego as well. Would be nice to get through this 9 game homestand (3 Nats, 4 LA, 3 SD) with a nice little run. 2-0 so far.

To the Astros fan, before the day game start your day at Town's End and get the crabcake eggs benedict and a bloody mary. If you go to 21st Amendment before a game and it looks packed (it always is) walk to the back and go up the stairs to the upstairs bar. I have frequently been able to get a table up there for beers when there's a wait for a table in the main area.

I need to figure out when the hell to get out there this summer.

• 4 weeks later...

Anybody making their way down to Houston for this two gamer vs the Stros?

Turns out I finagled an excuse to be in Houston Wednesday morning so I can stick around for the Wednesday matinee game. Gonna swing down there to catch the game and head back to FW. Fucking A, tickets are expensive in Houston. Raising a banner sure do bring em out of the woodwork.

On April 25, 2018 at 7:37 AM, TornACL said:

And our boy Belt is en fuego as well.

Holy shit, you ain't kidding.  I live in the Bay Area but don't follow the Giants (or MLB).  Belt is leading the team in average, HR and RBI.  Hope he stays in this groove.

6 minutes ago, Lhorn said:

Holy shit, you ain't kidding.  I live in the Bay Area but don't follow the Giants (or MLB).  Belt is leading the team in average, HR and RBI.  Hope he stays in this groove.

He's making a strong case for his second ASG appearance. 

NL Ranks
OPS - 2nd
WAR - 4th
HR - 5th
BA - 8th
RBIs - 12th 

Among 1Bs, only Freeman can match his numbers so far. 

• 4 weeks later...

For the Giants' Fans.

LOS ANGELES - Brandon Belt's doctors botched one part of his appendectomy. He wanted to keep his appendix as a souvenir, but they tossed it.

"Someone messed up on that one," Belt said Friday, two weeks after he was removed from a game at AT&T Park and taken to the hospital for a midnight operation.

Belt will beat his original three-week prognosis by plenty. Manager Bruce Bochy said the Giants probably will activate him Saturday. They might have done it for Friday night’s series opener against the Dodgers had they not felt the need to bolster the bullpen after it pitched 16 innings in the four games at Miami.

Instead, the Giants promoted reliever Pierce Johnson from Triple-A, giving them 14 pitchers for one game. Evan Longoria, who will see the hand surgeon Saturday, was placed on the disabled list.

Belt was cleared to play earlier this week and got five at-bats Thursday in a minor-league camp game in Scottsdale, Ariz., facing only right-handed pitchers because he did not want a feverous young lefty conking him in the head.

"I told them a few days I ago I wanted to play this weekend," said Belt, who wanted no part of any minor-league rehab games. "I feel easily good enough to play baseball now. No hesitation."

Belt finally got to explain what happened June 1, when he started a game against the Phillies at AT&T Park.

Belt started feeling discomfort the day before, an off day, enough to keep him from going to Game 1 of the NBA Finals in Oakland. When he got to the ballpark the next day he reported a "grabbing" sensation to team doctors, who told him it was in the appendix region.

"They said, "If it gets worse, we'll take you to the hospital,'" Belt said. "It got worse."

Belt struck out in his lone at-bat and was gone after two innings.

A few hours later, doctors performed the laparoscopic procedure. Belt was still well-medicated at about 4 a.m. when he tweeted a photo of himself lying in a gurney in the hospital hallway before the surgery, which his wife took and sent to him.

In the background is a whiteboard with the operating-room scheduling, including the names of patients and what surgeries they were having.

"If I get sued," Belt said, smiling, "you'll know why."

Briefly: Jeff Samardzija (shoulder tightness) threw 43 pitches, allowed one hit and no walks, and struck out four for Triple-A Sacramento in his first rehab start, at Round Rock, Texas. ... Johnny Cueto (elbow inflammation) threw his second bullpen session. The staff will huddle to decide the next step, possibly throwing to Giants hitters.

https://www.mysanantonio.com/giants/article/Giants-Brandon-Belt-likely-to-be-activated-12999188.php

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I feel bad that the Giants are in 4th in the West but I feel good that they're at least in the hunt and not DOA like last year at the break.

Hope the young arms keep it up. I'll be out there next weekend for at least the Saturday Brewers game, I gotta get out of this 100 degree weather for a few days.