Texas Recruiting Notes 2023: Strippers, Monkeys, and 5-Stars

Machinator

On 5/13/2020 at 7:08 PM, Ricky's one-hitter said:

A 6'5, 240 Freshman in high school. He may grow out of football.

A friend's son was a 6'1 250 lb. O Lineman as a freshman in high school, with invites to camps from lots of power 5 schools.

Then he was a 6'1 260 lb. O Lineman as a sophomore, with a few power 5 camp invites.

Then he was a 6'1 265 lb. junior, with a few D1 offers from service academies, and ivy league schools.

He graduated at 6'1 270, and got a scholarship to a mid-major known more for academics than football.

Gabe Brooks ::

Fifteen 2023 players from Texas set to be national recruits

The state of Texas is well-known for its loaded football talent base and an unmatched high school football culture that features big crowds and storied history. Recruiting starts early for a lot of prospects who become high-profile recruits, and that's exactly what has already happened with plenty of 2023 players in the Lone Star State.

If you take a look at the 247Sports database, we are aware of almost 40 players in the state of Texas' 2023 recruiting class who have already reported at least one Division I offer. That number will only continue to grow, and there are plenty of talented prospects yet to be offered who will emerge over the course of the next year.

Something to remember about many talented 2023 prospects is that they play for traditionally strong high school programs with loads of talent in the older classes as well. As a result, some 2023 prospects have already been offered without even playing varsity football. Obviously, that will soon change for these players, especially for prospects who are not quarterbacks behind established FBS-bound signal callers in older classes.

One interesting aspect in the infancy of this 2023 cycle in Texas is the overwhelming ratio of offers to players in the Dallas-Fort Worth Metroplex relative to the greater Houston area and other regions. Of the approximately three dozen players with known D-I offers in the Lone Star State's 2023 class, 28 hail from schools in the DFW Metroplex, while only four are from the Houston area.

It's too early to know if that's an indicator of a DFW-dominant 2023 class in Texas, but it's an interesting number in the very early stages. There's no doubt numerous Houston-area prospects will explode in the coming months. With all of that as context, here are 15 names to know in TXHSFB's 2023 class.

RB RUEBEN OWENS
El Campo (Texas) High School running back standout Rueben Owens has reported the most offers so far in the Lone Star State's 2023 recruiting class. Owens has reported 16 offers to date as one of the most heavily recruited 2023 prospects in the country. That list of offers in alphabetical order includes Arkansas, Auburn, Baylor, Florida, Georgia, Georgia Tech, LSU, Nebraska, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Oregon State, Texas, Texas A&M, Virginia Tech, and UTSA at the FBS level, plus one FCS offer from William & Mary. The 5-foot-10 1/2, 181-pound Owens was part of a strong El Campo ground game that helped the Ricebirds to a 10-3 record and a Texas Class 4A Division I third-round playoff appearance.

LB ANTHONY HILL
After playing sub-varsity football for a perennial Texas Class 5A Division I juggernaut at Denton Ryan, linebacker Anthony Hill got varsity action during the Raiders' playoff run, which ended with a 15-1 record and a 28-22 loss to Alvin Shadow Creek in the 5A D-I state championship game. The 6-foot-2, 210-pound Hill appears to have gotten the most offers so far for a defensive player in TXHSFBS's 2023 class with 12: Florida, Georgia Tech, Kansas State, Miami, Mississippi State, Oklahoma, Penn State, Texas A&M, USC, and North Texas at the FBS level, in addition to a couple of FCS offers. Hill returns to a stellar Ryan defense that features several FBS-bound prospects in the 2021 class.

CB BRAXTON MYERS
Cornerback Braxton Myers got plenty of varsity action in 2019, when he recorded 30 tackles, five interceptions, two fumble recoveries, and 13 pass breakups for a Plano John Paul II team that finished 10-3 and fell to Dallas Parish Episcopal in the Division I state title game of the Texas Association of Private and Parochial Schools. May has been a busy month for the 5-foot-11, 180-pound Myers, who has reported offers from LSU, Texas, Oklahoma State, Kansas, Cincinnati, and FIU. Those offers joined winter offers from Colorado and UTSA. Myers' father Michael Myers -- now an assistant coach at John Paul II -- was a first-team all-American in 1996 at Alabama before playing 10 years in the NFL for Dallas, Cleveland, Denver, and Cincinnati. JPII's head coach is George Teague, who helped Alabama win the 1992 national title before a nine-year NFL career for Green Bay, Miami, and Dallas.

WR/TE JADEN GREATHOUSE
Jaden Greathouse enjoyed a stellar freshman season as a key offensive weapon for an Austin Westlake squad that won the Texas Class 6A Division II state championship. The 6-foot-3, 200-pound Greathouse thrived at receiver and could remain there long term, or perhaps grow into a flex tight end, depending on his physical development. Regardless of where he's aligned, Greathouse is a matchup problem for defenses thanks to his size and functional athleticism. Greathouse has gotten the attention of the Big 12 Conference as he has reported offers from Baylor, Oklahoma, and Texas. He finished his freshman campaign with 47 catches for 715 yards and 10 touchdowns on 15.2 yards per reception.

CB MALIK MUHAMMAD
Dallas South Oak Cliff cornerback Malik Muhammad is part of a football family and a Class 5A program that regularly produces FBS talent. The 5-foot-10, 160-pound Muhammad has already landed offers from Cal, Colorado, Kansas, Louisville, Oklahoma State, Texas Tech, and Nevada. Muhammad has several football-playing cousins who have made names for themselves on the gridiron, including cornerback AJ Green, an Oklahoma State standout who signed a free agent deal in late April with the Browns. EJ Muhammad (Nevada safety), Khairi Muhammad (North Texas safety), and Jabbar Muhammad (Oklahoma State 2020 cornerback signee) are also Malik's cousins, in addition to fellow 2023 South Oak Cliff defensive back prospect Abdul Muhammad.

WR JALEN HALE
Representing the talent-laden East Texas region is Jalen Hale, a big-framed wide receiver who is emerging for perennial power Longview, the 2018 Texas Class 6A Division II state champion. In limited varsity action this past fall, Hale flashed some promise with seven receptions for 164 yards and three touchdowns on 23.4 yards per catch. Hale has reported early offers from Arkansas, Auburn, and Kansas. Longview has produced countless FBS players, including NFL names such as Bobby Taylor, Trent Williams, Malcolm Kelly, Travin Howard, and others. Most recently, Longview produced Texas A&M 2020 four-star quarterback signee Haynes King, the son of longtime Lobos head coach John King.

QB CHRIS PARSON
Duncanville High School has reached the Texas Class 6A Division I state title game each of the last two years with Texas 2020 four-star signee Ja'Quinden Jackson at the helm. Now the Panthers turn to 2023 prospect Chris Parson, who started the 2019 championship game after an injury to Jackson in the state semifinals. Despite his inexperience, the 6-foot, 185-pound Parson had Duncanville right there with one of the best high school teams in American -- Galena Park North Shore -- in the fourth quarter before North Shore secured a 31-17 win for back-to-back titles. In limited action, Parson finished 2019 with 345 passing yards, three TD throws, and no interceptions, while rushing for 80 yards and three scores. Parson has reported early offers from Iowa, Kansas, Virginia Tech, and Illinois State. Duncanville will once again enter the 2020 season as a state title contender in Texas' largest classification.

ATH JOHNTAY COOK
DeSoto High School has earned the moniker of "DeSoto U" for good reason. The school is consistently one of the most talent-laden programs not only in Texas, but the country. The 2023 class looks like it will continue the tradition for the Eagles, who feature a number of promising 2023 prospects, including Johntay Cook. The 6-foot, 170-pound Cook is long and lean and could potentially play receiver or in the secondary once his time comes at the college level. Texas A&M and Nebraska have offered Cook in May. He has also reported offers from Arkansas, Illinois, Kansas, Oklahoma State, and Tulsa. DeSoto has produced numerous players over the years, including Von Miller, Jalen Mills, and aforementioned AJ Green, and many others.

WR DANIEL DEMERY
Another DFW Metroplex prospect who has reeled in offers this spring is Daniel Demery, a potential two-way prospect who primarily played defense and returned kicks as a freshman for a Dallas Parish Episcopal team that went 12-1 and won the Division I state title in TAPPS. The 5-foot-11, 185-pound Demery is already approaching double-digit offers, including five from the Power Five conference level: Colorado, Georgia Tech, Kansas, Nebraska, and Vanderbilt. North Texas and SMU have also offered Demery at the FBS level, plus an FCS offer from Illinois State. Demery finished his freshman season with 36 tackles and one forced fumble, plus 327 all-purpose yards that came almost exclusively in the return game. He returned two punts for touchdowns and averaged 24.5 yards on 10 chances.

RB SERGIO SNIDER
What looks like a strong private school class in the 2023 cycle continues with athletic running back Sergio Snider from Nolan Catholic in Fort Worth. Nolan Catholic has become a school in recent seasons that regularly features FBS talent. The 5-foot-10, 165-pound Snider joins 2022 four-star Emeka Megwa to give Nolan Catholic a dynamic pair of ball carriers entering the 2020 season. Snider has already reported five offers, which have come from Arizona State, Auburn, Cincinnati, Colorado, and Nebraska. Nolan Catholic ran the regular-season table in 2019 to finish 11-1 before falling to eventual TAPPS Division I state runner-up Plano John Paul II in the second round of the postseason.

QB CEDRIC HARDEN JR.
He will have to wait another season until he's "the man" for perennial power Cedar Hill High School, but there is no doubt that 2023 quarterback Cedric Harden Jr. has a lot of buzz around him moving forward. The 6-foot-2, 185-pound Harden has already garnered offers from Kansas and Illinois State in February. Cedar Hill is home to Tennessee commit and 2021 four-star quarterback Kaidon Salter -- the top 2021 QB in Texas in the Top247 rankings -- so Harden joins Salter to give the Longhorns one of the top QB rooms in the state of Texas. Cedar Hill went 9-3 with a Texas Class 6A Division II second-round playoff appearance in 2019. The Longhorns are a well-known, talent-heavy program that won three state championships (2006, 2013-14) under Joey McGuire, now the associate head coach at Baylor. Cedar Hill remains a perennial power in TXHSFB's largest classification and is poised for a deep run in 2020.

EDGE ANTHONY JAMES
Anthony James is a defensive edge player with a lot of potential over the next several years. The Wylie East prospect has not yet played varsity football, but has already garnered an impressive first couple of offers. The month of February saw the 6-foot-5, 220-pound James report offers from Georgia and Texas A&M. While the numbers cannot be verified, James reported in April some pretty promising measurements, including nearly 10-inch hands and an 81-inch wingspan (6-foot-9). You can tell from his sub-varsity tape that his frame potential is high. James' continued physical development will determine his exact role at the next level, but there's no doubt that he possesses a lot of potential.

QB BRENNAN STORER
Another Dallas-area 2023 quarterback who's behind an upperclassman FBS prospect but has a bright future is Brennan Storer, who attends perennial Texas Class 5A Division I power Highland Park. HP has produced notable quarterbacks in recent seasons: John Stephen Jones (Arkansas) in the 2018 class and Chandler Morris (Oklahoma) in the 2020 class, not to mention Matthew Stafford in the 2000's. The 5-foot-11, 175-pound Storer has already reported offers from Kansas, Kent State, and Texas State at the FBS level, in addition to an FCS offer from Illinois State. Three-star Brayden Schager in the 2021 class is the expected starter this fall for Highland Park, but Storer is waiting in the wings for his shot when it's time.

CB ABDUL MUHAMMAD
We already mentioned one Dallas South Oak Cliff 2023 defensive back in Malik Muhammad. Well meet Abdul Muhammad, one of the aforementioned cousins from the loaded football family. Abdul is the younger brother of Oklahoma State 2020 cornerback signee Jabbar Muhammad. As noted above, Abdul and Jabbar have older brothers who played DB for Nevada (EJ Muhammad) and North Texas (Khairi Muhammad). Abdul Muhammad has reported early offers from Cal, Kansas, and Nevada. The 5-foot-9, 165-pounder will be part of an absolutely loaded South Oak Cliff secondary during the next few seasons. South Oak Cliff is coming off a 9-3 season and a second-round playoff appearance in the Texas Class 5A Division II bracket.

ATH MONTRELL WADE
A second East Texan rounds out our list -- Montrell Wade, a potential two-way prospect at receiver and defensive back who has already reported a hand full of offers. Listed at 6-foot, 170 pounds, Wade has gotten early offers from Georgia Tech, Kansas, Oklahoma State, and UTSA. Wade is the next in line for a John Tyler program among the most storied in the East Texas region and the state as a whole. John Tyler, which is often called by its moniker "CUJO," is the alma mater of TXHSFB legends such as Earl Campbell and David Warren, in addition to players such as Gary Baxter, Aaron Ross, Greg Ward Jr., Tyus Bowser, and Fred Ross.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 8/3/2020 at 3:45 PM, Ricky's one-hitter said:

Someone at IT said that Reuben doesn't actually post from this account. It's a dad/uncle/handler which makes the account and tweet history a pretty hilarious study in pimping your kid to the highest bidder.

Oh hey guess who got a reeeeally early OU CB: https://247sports.com/Player/Rueben-Owens-46086843/

On 8/3/2020 at 3:45 PM, Ricky's one-hitter said:

Someone at IT said that Reuben doesn't actually post from this account. It's a dad/uncle/handler which makes the account and tweet history a pretty hilarious study in pimping your kid to the highest bidder.

I lived in El Campo for awhile about 40 years ago. If things are still as they were back then, the Bohemian mafia runs things and takes payment only in kolaches.   

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Chuckie Finster said:

I know absolutely nothing about this class, but nobody will ever be able to convince me that in a given year, NONE of the top 25 football players in the country live in Texas.

I was actually just looking at that.  2018 through 2022, we've had

2018 - 1

2019 - 4

2020 - 3

2021 - 3

2022 - 7

• Hook 'Em 1

8 hours ago, Chuckie Finster said:

I know absolutely nothing about this class, but nobody will ever be able to convince me that in a given year, NONE of the top 25 football players in the country live in Texas.

It won’t end up that way. Some of the current top 25 will end up fading as HS continues because they matured faster than their peers. I remember one of our recently departed OL was 6+ inches taller than his teammates as a freshman and played on some all star team. Pushing around 5’5” freshman DL is no accomplishment when you’re over 6’3” and 250 lbs. The ‘23 class’s signing is a really long way off. 

On 8/20/2020 at 2:47 AM, Happy Gilmore said:

Now now, Eli actually gave us the time of day back when he was a recruit. But you're right, I hope it's Ole Miss if any of those three. Carry on a legacy (outside of Peyton) 

This.  We've got a shot but Ewers may be our biggest hurdle.  Good problems. 

Edited by RollLeft

• 1 month later...
On 8/20/2020 at 2:47 AM, Happy Gilmore said:

Now now, Eli actually gave us the time of day back when he was a recruit. But you're right, I hope it's Ole Miss if any of those three. Carry on a legacy (outside of Peyton) 

If I remember correctly he was set on going to Texas, but I believe Chis Simms commitment took him to Ole Miss. Maybe there's more to it, but that's what I vaguely remember. 

• Machinator changed the title to Texas Recruiting Notes 2023: Strippers, Monkeys, and 5-Stars