Texas Recruiting Notes 2023: Strippers, Monkeys, and 5-Stars

Machinator

Wells

Spoiler

RB Tre Wisner, Waco Connally (2023):

The Waco product has seen his recruitment skyrocket over the last month. Texas jumped in too.

“(Texas) told me that they watched my film and they really don’t just throw offers out,” Wisner explained. “That they like how I had balance whenever I got hit while running the ball, and I am the second running back to get offered for 2023.”

Wisner has a list of things to improve on.

“I really want to work on getting bigger,” said Wisner. “I’m only 6-foot-0, 'bout 180, and I know I’ve got two more years. I’m going take my off-season time to get bigger and also work on my footwork getting better.”

OL Harris Sewell, Odessa Permian (2023):

The West Texas kid has always liked the Longhorns. When that offer came, he was all smiles.

At 6-foot-4, 290 pounds, Sewell holds offers from Texas A&M, Baylor, and others.

“He was super nice,” Sewell said about Coach Sarkisian. “He just said he loves how I play and thinks I would be a great fit at UT.”

It’s early, but Sewell knows what he wants in a college program.

“I want good coaches and a team that has the capability of winning football games,” Sewell said. “Texas is definitely one of the top places.”

• Hook 'Em 3

20 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Wells

Hide contents

RB Tre Wisner, Waco Connally (2023):

The Waco product has seen his recruitment skyrocket over the last month. Texas jumped in too.

“(Texas) told me that they watched my film and they really don’t just throw offers out,” Wisner explained. “That they like how I had balance whenever I got hit while running the ball, and I am the second running back to get offered for 2023.”

Wisner has a list of things to improve on.

“I really want to work on getting bigger,” said Wisner. “I’m only 6-foot-0, 'bout 180, and I know I’ve got two more years. I’m going take my off-season time to get bigger and also work on my footwork getting better.”

OL Harris Sewell, Odessa Permian (2023):

The West Texas kid has always liked the Longhorns. When that offer came, he was all smiles.

At 6-foot-4, 290 pounds, Sewell holds offers from Texas A&M, Baylor, and others.

“He was super nice,” Sewell said about Coach Sarkisian. “He just said he loves how I play and thinks I would be a great fit at UT.”

It’s early, but Sewell knows what he wants in a college program.

“I want good coaches and a team that has the capability of winning football games,” Sewell said. “Texas is definitely one of the top places.”

I Guess If You Say So GIF

16 hours ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Offers from TCU, Baylor, and Arizona State.

I like the work that ASU is doing in recruiting. I'm going to look at whatever I can find about their org structure and personnel because they seem to have their shit together for a school that normally doesn't have its shit together. Obviously Antonio Pearce is a recruiting force, but it has to be more than that. 

9 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I like the work that ASU is doing in recruiting. I'm going to look at whatever I can find about their org structure and personnel because they seem to have their shit together for a school that normally doesn't have its shit together. Obviously Antonio Pearce is a recruiting force, but it has to be more than that. 

Herm is a pretty effective CEO head coach

59 minutes ago, golfclap said:

They have a huge staff with tons of guys under two directors of player personnel --  Al Luginbill (yes, the old SDSU HC) who knows literally every coach on the entire west coast and a young dude Ryne Rezac doing a lot of the outreach with trainers, coaches, 7v7, etc...  across other states. Those dudes run a plethora of young guys and a couple of old coaches that do evals.  They also have a lot of QA/QC guys that support those efforts. I didn't think the Herm Edwards move would work but the reality is that they let him build a monstrous front office and support staff and it clearly is working. 

i am really surprised nobody has poached Pierce, made $700k last year which was like #70 in the country among coaches?

evidently he is taking over as full DC and negotiating a new deal currently

3 minutes ago, NoName said:

i am really surprised nobody has poached Pierce, made $700k last year which was like #70 in the country among coaches?

evidently he is taking over as full DC and negotiating a new deal currently

Just speculating, but I wonder if he feels good about waiting and taking over when Herm retires. Herm is turning 67 this year and has two more years on his contract. If they continue to have success and they have that front office/support staff humming it would make sense to go internal hire. Pierce seems like a logical choice, maybe they even have a handshake HCIW deal. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, golfclap said:

They have a huge staff with tons of guys under two directors of player personnel --  Al Luginbill (yes, the old SDSU HC) who knows literally every coach on the entire west coast and a young dude Ryne Rezac doing a lot of the outreach with trainers, coaches, 7v7, etc...  across other states. Those dudes run a plethora of young guys and a couple of old coaches that do evals.  They also have a lot of QA/QC guys that support those efforts. I didn't think the Herm Edwards move would work but the reality is that they let him build a monstrous front office and support staff and it clearly is working. 

This is akin to the approach Hughes was allegedly going to instill, so I'm curious to see what we've got with the new, new guy. They're not going to spare any asks on the front office side of things, supposedly. I guess as long as the "asks" can pass compliance. 

• Hook 'Em 3

50 minutes ago, UncleSonny said:

Just speculating, but I wonder if he feels good about waiting and taking over when Herm retires. Herm is turning 67 this year and has two more years on his contract. If they continue to have success and they have that front office/support staff humming it would make sense to go internal hire. Pierce seems like a logical choice, maybe they even have a handshake HCIW deal. 

i would think he wants to aim higher than Arizona State, especially since he went to Arizona

12 minutes ago, NoName said:

i would think he wants to aim higher than Arizona State, especially since he went to Arizona

Maybe but after a pretty long playing career and then taking a few years off it's not like he's been coaching for that long. I doubt he would be a serious candidate for USC if Helton got fired after this season. Being named the HC of a Power 5 school within the first decade of his career seems pretty fast tracked and taking up a program that doesn't need a complete overhaul is nice situation. If he elevated them from there he would have no shortage of options to aim higher. 

I think he was at least mentioned as a candidate when Arizona came open but I'm not sure how far along that got. Regardless, it's debatable whether taking over Arizona now and trying to clean up Sumlin's mess would be preferable to waiting a few years and inheriting a stable program from Herm from a career perspective. 

Nick Harris: Tre Wisner speaks on Texas offer, recruiting surge

With the 2023 class already halfway through their high school football careers, more names are starting to pop on the radar as potential big names in the state of Texas. Last week, Waco (Texas) Connally running back Tre Wisner became the latest to burst onto the scene with seven offers in just three days from Florida State, UTSA, North Texas, Ohio State, USC, Baylor and Texas. "I'm just real humbled by it all," Wisner said. "It's all blessings so I'm just gonna keep continuing to work."

The offer from Ohio State came as a huge surprise to Wisner as he grew up dreaming of playing for the Buckeyes on Saturdays. "Growing up, Ohio State was one of my dream schools," he said. "So when they called me I was like, 'Is this really Ohio State?' Coming from Texas, not many kids get to experience something like that so I'm real blessed and humbled about it." While the Buckeyes were a childhood favorite, Texas was another team Wisner grew up watching and he is already intrigued by what the Longhorns could offer down the road.

"Texas, that's home," he said. "I grew up watching Texas too so getting an offer from a school close to home like that is a real blessing also. I was real blessed and surprised by that one too." Running backs coach Stan Drayton extended the offer to Wisner as they begin to expand their 2023 running back board. He joins El Campo (Texas) running back Rueben Owens as the only two in-state running backs to be offered by the Longhorns in 2023.

"I feel like Texas has a real good structure," Wisner said. "They're not just all about football, they're about everything. They want you to be a man and focus on a life afterwards. Talking to the coaches, they sounded real confident on building me and helping me experience more things in life." When asked why he thinks he's getting all of these offers and attention right now, Wisner pointed to a part of his game that coaches have pointed out on film. "I think my best trait is my awareness and my balance," he said.

"When I see a hole, I'm gonna attack it with all I got. Nothing is gonna stop me from scoring." At 5-foot-11, 180 pounds, Wisner is not yet rated by 247Sports.

6 hours ago, Bam Bam Sam said:

"Hughes' model" was designed with staff and put in working order before Hughes got bounced by compliance. That model will remain in tact, as requested from the top. A DPP, Two ADPPs. Some full time staffers. A good force of support staff interns, some of which I am guessing will be "volunteers" to ensure they can get the labor hours the coaches are pushing. Each coach assigned a region in Texas and some have additional regions OOS, as well as their respective position groups nationally. They'll also each have a group of evaluators dedicated to helping them find and evaluate prospects at their position and region. It's sounds similar to what I've heard former Saban assistants speak of. I don't know which of Texas' coaches have which regions in or out of state. I do know that Glasscock was hired and fit into the system Hughes started, not hired to bring his own.

For background on Hughes, he spent 4 years as an intern under Saban's front office staff while he was a student at Alabama. He's done it their way, or close to it, ever since from a structural perspective. Sark had that while in TTown, I assume his desire to keep it is a top priority for him based on his quick hiring of one who knew the ins and outs of the model and then hiring a backup that could be slotted into it. Regardless of how true to form it compares to Alabama down the road, it has already been described as quite an upgrade.

@golfclap

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 4

(CJ Vogel) 2023 Temple Trio to Keep an Eye on

Spoiler

Last Sunday when I made the trip to the Bam Performance workout, I was introduced to a trio of 2023 Temple prospects who will be on division one radars in the near future. Temple has been a hot bed in central Texas for division one talent having produced Texas TE Jared Wiley and former Texas commit Quentin Johnston as well.

In Frisco this past Saturday, I saw two of the Temple products once again. It’s time for the trio to be introduced to the board.

2023 ATH Mikal Harrison-Pilot

The first off the bat is Mikal Harrison-Pilot, who already has a handful of division one offers under his belt. Arkansas, Baylor, Houston, LaTech and UNT have already extended an offer to the two-way stud from Temple.

MHP told me he has been hearing the most from Baylor so far in his recruitment. With Waco just 30 minutes away, it makes sense for the Bears to take care of their own backyard. Arkansas is active in this recruitment as well. MHP said he hears from both staffs weekly and hopes to remain in contact with each school.

When asked about the Longhorns, MHP said his mom was a Texas fan and while he has yet to hear from the Texas staff so far, he would be open to the Longhorns should they throw their hat in the ring. The 6-foot playmaker said he hopes to be committed prior to his senior season.

2023 LB Taurean York

York is coming off a season where he was named the 12-6A Defensive MVP as a sophomore. York, who could be a freshman since he is just 15 years old, said recruiting has yet to really take off so far.

At just 5-feet-11-inches, height may be the biggest deterrent in this recruitment, though the production and on-field play speaks for itself. So far, York says he has been followed by a number of coaches at big time programs. After some investigation, coaches from Texas A&M, Houston, UNT and Brent Venables from Clemson are among the coaches on his follower list.

York says he has only been in contact with Houston and UNT. Should his body continue to grow, and he expects it will, that list will certainly expand.

From DT’s post on Thirsty Thursday:

Downhill football player that takes very good pursuit angles to the ball and arrives with an attitude. He does a really impressive job of staying square and scraping laterally for his age. I’m guessing a lack of prototypical height are the reason for a lack of early offers. I would think that evaluators would have learned by now how little that actually matters at his position. York is a good, not great athlete, and his upside ultimately may hinge of how hard he works on maintaining/improving his quickness and speed. I’m a fan.

2023 S Naeten Mitchell

I was a big fan of Mitchell’s film when I first looked him up. The dude hits people and flies downhill like a bullet from the safety position. Mitchell also stood out at the workout when working agility and change. Mitchell recently moved from Manor to Temple so he is still getting on radars as a guy to know at Temple.

Like York, Mitchell’s recruitment is in the beginning stages. He has yet to receive an offer but has made contact with a number of coaching staffs. SMU and TCU are two of the most notable regional schools that he has heard from, while Wyoming and Arizona State are lurking as well. Once he receives his first offer, I imagine the floodgates will open here.

Mitchell is really close with current Texas CB Jahdae Barron. Something to keep note of moving forward.

• Hook 'Em 1

(Mike Roach) The Stampede: Recruiting scoop from Pylon 7v7 Bullhead City

Spoiler

— I spoke with 2023 Los Alamitos (Calif.) quarterback Malachi Nelson on Saturday. The elite passer spoke highly of Texas and Steve Sarkisian. He’s always been high on the Longhorns, and he’s close with Maalik Murphy. However, I think that might cost Texas a bit. Nelson isn’t worried about competition wherever he goes, but he admitted it would be odd competing with such a close friend like Murphy. Oklahoma has his attention early, but USC seems like they will be tough to beat at this moment.

— I spent some time talking to 2023 Bellflower (Calif.) St. John Bosco defensive end/tight end Matayo Uiagalelei over the weekend. The younger brother of the Clemson quarterback was recently offered by Texas. While he spoke highly of his family’s relationship with Steve Sarkisian, I can’t see him getting super serious about Texas. Clemson is anticipated to have an advantage and USC will also be a tough school to beat.

• Hook 'Em 1

Joe Cook on Nelson

Spoiler

2023 QB Malachi Nelson, Los Alamitos (Los Alamitos, CA)
Over twenty schools have offered the highly rated quarterback, who is beyond excited to play in California’s upcoming season. Alabama, Auburn, Florida, Georgia, LSU, Miami, Michigan, Ohio State, Oklahoma, Oregon, and USC join Texas as high profile schools after the 6-foot-3, 180-pound quarterback.

Mike Yurcich initiated the relationship with Nelson, and Sarkisian has continued the burnt orange recruiting efforts. Nelson also mentioned Murphy’s commitment, and that helped solidify Texas’ place as a strong contender for the sophomore’s services.

Nelson is not scared of competition “in any way,” and mentioned Oklahoma, Alabama, USC, and Ohio State along with Texas as some of the schools recruiting him the hardest. Nelson wants to see those schools, and won’t commit to a school without seeing the campus.

Wells

Spoiler

RB Reuben Owens, El Campo (2023):

He’s growing. The top-rated junior tailback in Texas says he’s getting bigger.

“6-foot, 190 pounds,” said Owens, who was catching a flight from California to Texas after a 7v7 tournament last weekend.

“I’m excited to see what Texas is going to look like next year,” Owens said. “The players they have already and the ones coming in under Sark’s leadership Coach Sark does a great job getting his players and the right position to make plays.”

Texas, LSU, OU, and Texas A&M are pushing the hardest, and Florida State offered only minutes ago. Owens is a big fan of UT’s new Director of Recruiting, Brandon Harris. That should help.

ATH Daniel Demery, Parish Episcopal (2023):

Demery had a nice few days last week when Texas, Texas A&M, USC, and Ole Miss extended offers.

At 5-foot-11, 185, the 247 four-star does a little of everything for Parish Episcopal at RB, WR, and safety. UT’s message was simple and succinct.

“That making my (college) decision of where I want to go comes down to where I will benefit best from and where I will be able to better myself at,” said Demery.

After notching 98 tackles and eight pass breakups over the last two seasons, his striking ability and suddenness is apparent. Texas might see a future safety.

Demery mentions academics as something that‘s not just lip service.

“Academics is very important to me,” said Demery. “So a academic program that will set me up for success beyond the football field will be at the top of my list.”

• Hook 'Em 1