Texas Recruiting Notes 2023: Strippers, Monkeys, and 5-Stars

Machinator

22 minutes ago, Hornlover said:

He was post #1 in this thread.

His freshman highlights were ridiculous, and his sophomore season are even better.

He's currently the #1 ranked player in the state for 2023.

Comparing him to Bijan is disingenuous to both players. He is a stud.

But #44 on looch list.

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, D3zii said:

3 year in a row Texas has signed a top RB 

Sooo I need everyone who told me Drayton was the worse coach on the staff and that he should be removed to report up front 

Cmt Megaphone GIF by The Ed Bassmaster Show

I'm with you, but it's 2 years of commits, not signees, and we got shut out on all of our top prospects this year 

1 minute ago, D3zii said:

3 year in a row Texas has signed a top RB 

Sooo I need everyone who told me Drayton was the worse coach on the staff and that he should be removed to report up front 

Cmt Megaphone GIF by The Ed Bassmaster Show

I never thought he was the worst recruiter on the staff, but he has definitely changed my opinion in the last month.

Dray told me that Giles is his mentor on the staff and he taught him how to recruit. Apparently you just call the guy you want and ask him to commit right now rather than in 9 months so that you don’t have to work anymore. Most recruits are pretty cool so they go along with it. Not sure why other coaches on the staff don’t do the same thing. 

• Haha 7

44 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

IIIIIIIIIII’mmmmmmm going to go ahead and say this one stays locked in. Title of the thread is going to need an edit. 

Congrats to Owens, Texas, and, uuuuhhhh, the Owens family. 

Here.We.Go. 

Does he have a pre-existing relationship to UT?  Related to Chris maybe?  I apologize if this is a stupid question, but I have a hard enough time keeping up with the current recruiting class.

Not going to lie, it’s going to be awkward for me calling a black teenager “Black Unicorn” for the next 7 years. 

Just ask your son if the kids have glossed him a different nickname that us olds are more comfortable with.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4 minutes ago, conVINCEd said:

Does he have a pre-existing relationship to UT?  Related to Chris maybe?  I apologize if this is a stupid question, but I have a hard enough time keeping up with the current recruiting class.

Nothing that we've heard of. He just vibes with Sark for some reason.

Hustling Dave Chappelle GIF

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Must be a lot of new Texas fans, because I hate how scared a lot of fans are about a 23 commit...

Mack did this regularly in the early 2000’s, and had the class done before the season even started and was already on the next class...

WE NOT NEW TO THIS!!!!!!

• Hook 'Em 2

Roach on Rueben Owens

Spoiler

— Texas really did a phenomenal job flipping the script for 2023 El Campo running back Rueben Owens.  Owens was previously Crystal Balled to Oklahoma and the Sooners were thought to be the heavy favorite.  In fact, this race has been trending toward Texas for the last few weeks.  I'm told that Owens loves the big brand of Texas combined with the offense Steve Sarkisian is bringing to the table.  I was also told that despite the perception, he didn't quite gel with Oklahoma running back coach Demarco Murray.  Whatever the case, Texas flipped the momentum quickly and closed on an elite 2023 in-state prospect.

Nick Harris defending the honor of 247

Spoiler

I first met Rueben Owens and his dad at the National Combine in San Antonio in January 2020. From the jump, we have all been super cool and respectful of each other’s wishes. In fact, I would say Owens is in the top grouping of recruits I’m closest with.

When Mike and I first got smoke tonight that he would be committing to Texas, I immediately called the family and asked how they wanted to go about it. If they had told me to leave my Crystal Ball on OU, I would’ve had no problem doing it. They gave me the go ahead, and gave me the commitment story as well.

We will always maintain the wishes of a recruit and his family at Horns247 and I hope tonight can reinforce that belief rather than blur it.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Mitch Hedberg said:

I promise there are some chapped asses in El Campo tonight. That town is ate up with aggy. I’ve lived there. Had some tell me one night if the Longhorns played the Soviet Union they would root for the Russians. I’m here for every bit of it. Aggy will always suck and this knife in their heart from the local kid is chefs kiss.

I grew up there.  Aggies are louder, but Longhorns were represented almost evenly.  But when I was growing up there, A&M was winning 8 out of 10. 

Edited by Cooterhorn

41 minutes ago, D3zii said:

Must be a lot of new Texas fans, because I hate how scared a lot of fans are about a 23 commit...

Mack did this regularly in the early 2000’s, and had the class done before the season even started and was already on the next class...

WE NOT NEW TO THIS!!!!!!

Actually, Mack was notorious for not accepting commitments until after the current recruiting class signed. He would’ve made Owens wait until at least December. 

• Hook 'Em 2