Texas Recruiting Notes 2023: Strippers, Monkeys, and 5-Stars

Machinator

33 minutes ago, Machinator said:
  Hide contents

I first met Rueben Owens and his dad at the National Combine in San Antonio in January 2020. From the jump, we have all been super cool and respectful of each other’s wishes. In fact, I would say Owens is in the top grouping of recruits I’m closest with.

When Mike and I first got smoke tonight that he would be committing to Texas, I immediately called the family and asked how they wanted to go about it. If they had told me to leave my Crystal Ball on OU, I would’ve had no problem doing it. They gave me the go ahead, and gave me the commitment story as well.

We will always maintain the wishes of a recruit and his family at Horns247 and I hope tonight can reinforce that belief rather than blur it.

D4BB82FD-3CFA-4176-BDD9-8BA6C9E528CA.gif

3 hours ago, Sal said:

I never thought I'd see the day we'd have two top running backs from Hallettsville and El Campo. The 2024 running back needs to be from Wharton or East Bernard. 

If you mix in Dobbins from La Grange, who should have been a Longhorn, there’s been some good RB talent come out of the little towns in the area

• Hook 'Em 2

9 hours ago, Sal said:

I never thought I'd see the day we'd have two top running backs from Hallettsville and El Campo. The 2024 running back needs to be from Wharton or East Bernard. 

and Jordan Whittington from Cuero.  SE Texas pulling their weight.

• Hook 'Em 1

29 minutes ago, LebongJames said:

More like South Central. SE has to be east of Houston.

yeah, fair enough.  I've always struggled to categorize that area, its kind of a no man's land between regions but Coastal Plain seems to fit well as Machinator said.

4 minutes ago, Hornlover said:

He reminds me of Saquon Barkley. So I went to watch Saquon's highlights, and damn if Saquon's Hudl doesn't look slow compared to Rueben.

https://www.hudl.com/profile/1440965/Saquon-Barkley

My first instinct was to point out how much bigger Saquon is so I went to his 247 profile, he was listed as 190 pounds as a HS prospect. 

Weighed in at 233 at the NFL combine. To gain 40 pounds in a few years and still test off the charts athletically is insane, what a freak. Doubt we see or want Owens to ever get that big.

IT

Spoiler

CB Tony Mitchell, Thompson (Alabaster, AL) (2023):

Texas and the top rated cornerback in the Class of 2023 are beginning to dance.

UT recently offered the four-star with 30 offers, including Alabama, Ohio State, Oregon, and Auburn.

At 6-foot-2 and 180 pounds, there’s an assumption he’s an Alabama lock, but he might be slightly more open.

“Recruiting process is good, but tough without any visits because of Covid,” said Mitchell.

Which schools are reaching out most?

“Texas, Ohio State, Alabama, Auburn, Clemson, Florida, Florida State, LSU and Michigan are big on me right now,” Mitchell said.

Basically everyone. He’s looking for the same thing most highly-coveted prospects are looking for.

“Great coaching and great development,” said Mitchell. “(Texas) has good coaches and I can’t wait to see what they do this year.”

##########

QB Malachi Nelson, Los Alamitos (Los Alamitos, CA) (2023)

Texas made waves with the commitment of 2022 QB Maalik Murphy, but what does that mean for 2023 quarterback recruiting?
The Longhorns remain in pursuit of Malachi Nelson.

Before getting into the particulars of Nelson's recruitment, it's worth sharing his insight on Murphy. Nelson and Murphy work out together, so Nelson was asked what he sees in the Serra QB.

"We push each other," Murphy said. "Every workout we go to, we’re always the top two pushing each other back and forth. I think training with him goes both ways. We get better every time we train. He’s one of the best quarterbacks I’ve ever thrown with. There’s only a couple of guys that I’ll put that blue check on and he’s definitely one of them."

Would Murphy's presence at Texas preclude Nelson from making a similar move? Not necessarily. Nelson made it clear competition doesn't faze him, but he also wants to find an opportunity to see the field. After all, only one quarterback is on the field at a time.

"I think for me, I’ve never been scared of competition," Nelson said. "That being said, Maalik is a good friend of mine. We train together almost every week. That’s something that we’re going to have to talk about. Obviously it’s something we’ve got to address but I’m not scared of competition in anyway but I’ll definitely go anywhere I feel comfortable and feel wanted."

Being comfortable and wanted is a big deal to Nelson. He understands this is one of the few times in his life where he has to be selfish and make the best decision for him. He doesn't want to go anywhere he won't feel comfortable, which is why he wants to be able to see as many schools as he can for himself.

"I'm not going to commit to a school without seeing campus," he said.

Despite his relationship with Murphy, the Texas commit was not Nelson's first exposure to the Longhorns. Mike Yurcich offered Nelson in May of 2020. He spoke highly of the former Texas offensive coordinator, but now the task of recruiting Nelson to Austin belongs to Steve Sarkisian.

Sarkisian offered Nelson before Yurcich while at Alabama, sending an invitation in October 2019.

"Sark, of course at Alabama, I have a good relationship with him," Nelson said. "I still talk to Coach Sark. He’s a good friend. I love what they do over there. I’m close to Sark. Close to Yurcich, too. Both of them, their resumes speak for themselves."

The burnt orange appeal is still strong, and Texas will remain a factor in Nelson's recruitment going forward.

"They’re still in the running," Nelson said. "I love Texas, the coaches, and stuff like that. They’re not going nowhere."

When asked who was recruiting him hardest, Nelson mentioned the Longhorns with the power players of college football: Oklahoma, Alabama, Ohio State, and USC. Still, he's absorbing and learning as much as he can in the process.

"Being young, for me, I’m just trying to keep my options open," he said.

• Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, Spider2YBanana said:

Rueben Owens and Arch Manning are gonna kill it for Sark. Re-reading what Gerry said about Manning gonna be upset that Owens committed first leaves me feeling gruntled 

I’m  not a member of IT so pardon me if this is already known but have any of the mods over there stated that we have a shot at Manning?

8 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

I’m  not a member of IT so pardon me if this is already known but have any of the mods over there stated that we have a shot at Manning?

Hamilton has been beating that drum semi-regularly, up to you whether you want to take that at face value or not (they're in the business of selling subscriptions, after all)

• Hook 'Em 2

33 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

Gerry mentioned that Manning would be upset that Owens committed first, and then someone on here asked if this was a joke and was told no, it's real. So I assume we have a better shot than people realize. 

18 minutes ago, TheRRKid said:

I wonder if he meant Manning would be upset that Owens committed to TEXAS specifically or that Owens stole the thunder of being the first big commit in the 23 class overall?

I'm thinking to Texas, but that's me being greedy and wanting Manning in our class. But I really don't know, other than what Gerry had said. 

On 2/18/2021 at 12:47 PM, UncleSonny said:

Just speculating, but I wonder if he feels good about waiting and taking over when Herm retires. Herm is turning 67 this year and has two more years on his contract. If they continue to have success and they have that front office/support staff humming it would make sense to go internal hire. Pierce seems like a logical choice, maybe they even have a handshake HCIW deal. 

Don't have to speculate much.  AP being the HC-in-training is the worst kept secret in Tempe.  Herm (and Marvin Lewis) have been grooming him since he was plucked from Long Beach Poly.  Pro Bowler, Super Bowl Champ, tied into So Cal deeply, went to college at Arizona and wound up hating UA's leadership.  He's the ASU dream coach.

ASU landing Larry Turner-Gooden is part due to AP bringing in Chris Claiborne from USC to coach LB's at ASU.  CC and AP are friends.  Claiborne had coached LTG at Calabasus previously.  The ASU DB coach's father also runs the kid's 7 on 7 team.

ASU needs a big year to keep momentum.  The good news for them is their roster is in really good shape.  This is, on paper, their best team since the Plummer/Tillman era.

Edited by wablty
  • Hook 'Em 9

8 hours ago, Burt Macklin said:

11.3. Ehhh...

7 hours ago, Reese Bennett said:

With a mask and as a soph. Plus, he's faster in pads.

He also wasn’t pushed. Track times have context. You run faster times when someone else is there to push you.

Even Usain Bolt coasted when it was an easy race, and world records were on the line.

Edited by Lonestar88
  • Hook 'Em 1

8 hours ago, totallynotabuttpirate said:

From the 2022 thread.. Brenen Thompson

image.png.0ac3a7401886cf0690d43cf579b9145a.png

Gold Medalist Joe Deloach (Bay City) held our school and national High school 100 record of 10.00 for decades. Couldn’t catch a cold or tackle for shit in football but thats fucking flying for a 17 year old. 

Edited by Blackcat00