Texas Recruiting Notes 2023: Strippers, Monkeys, and 5-Stars

Machinator

On 2/21/2021 at 11:57 AM, Elmer_Fudd said:

SIAP, but has he been re-offered by the new staff?

Got our answer from Roach today.

Spoiler

— 2023 Arlington Lamar offensive tackle Isaiah Robinson got his first offer from Texas and Herb Hand. The rising star was high on Texas and the Longhorns figured to be a big factor in the recruitment. Robinson hasn't heard from the new Texas staff since they took over, but he would like to speak with Kyle Flood. At this point in time, he doesn't seem to hold an offer from the new staff, but there's still a lot of time left before the 2023 class signs.

Horns 247 / Mike Roach / Texas among options for elite 2023 quarterback Malachi Nelson

Spoiler

Texas among options for elite 2023 quarterback Malachi Nelson

MikeRoach

BULLHEAD CITY, Ariz. — Malachi Nelson enters his junior season as one of the top quarterback prospects in the country. The four-star from Los Alamitos (Calif.) holds 23 offers already, and he’s about to play his sophomore season. With spring football set to start in California, Nelson is ready to get back on the field. Speaking with Horns247 at Pylon 7v7's event in Bullhead City, Nelson expressed his excitement over the coming season.

“I can’t even describe it,” he said. “I feel like we haven’t even played football in forever. Our coach told us it was 400 and something days. It will be good to get out there with the guys and just to play football is good. It’s going to be fun. We’re going to light it up for sure.”

California prospects had a long offseason as the COVID-19 pandemic ruined fall football. Nelson put that time to good use working on the little aspects of his game and sharpening his mental tools.

“I’m just trying to focus on the little things,” he said. “This offseason I’ve been trying to go back to the basics and the fundamentals. I’m working on my release and getting the ball out quickly. I’ve been watching film from last season and just improving all aspects of my game. I’ve also been trying to put on weight, but I think the mental part of the game is big for me trying to improve.”

Nelson was offered by Mike Yurcich while he was at Texas and re-offered when Steve Sarkisian arrived. Nelson has known both coaches for a long time and stays in constant communication.

“Sark and Yurcich were probably two of the first coaches I ever talked to,” he said. “Coach Yurcich when he was back at Oklahoma State and coach Sark at Alabama. I still talk to coach Sark. He’s a good friend and I love what they do.”

Texas has been pushing for Nelson since the new staff arrived. While he remains high on the Longhorns, the addition of Maalik Murphy in the 2022 class could be a hurdle.

“For sure,” he said. “They just got a big ’22 commit in my guy Maalik. That obviously happens. They are definitely still in the running. I love the coaches and everything, so they aren’t going anywhere.”

Nelson isn’t worried about competing wherever he goes, but he also wants to find the right fit for himself. Right now, he is looking to be a bit selfish when it comes to making his decision.

“For me, I’ve never been scared of competition,” he said. “That being said, Maalik is a good friend of mine. We train together every week and that’s something we are going to have to talk about. Obviously, it’s something we’ve got to address, but I’m not scared of any competition. I’ll go anywhere if I feel comfortable and feel wanted. My coaches are telling me this is the one time in my life I have to be selfish and take your time and find somewhere you feel wanted.”

Nelson has been training with Murphy for years. Both push each other as competitors and Nelson said that Murphy is one of the most talented quarterbacks he’s ever seen.

“He’s solid,” he said. “We push each other. Every workout we go to we are always the top two pushing each other back and forth. I think training with him goes both ways. We get better every time we train. He’s a guy. He’s one of the best quarterbacks I’ve ever thrown with. There’s only a couple of guys I put that checkmark on and he’s one of them.”

Nelson is in no real hurry to make a decision. Several schools are standing out right now and Nelson just wants to keep building bonds at the programs he’s considering.

“Being young, I’m just kind of trying to keep my options open and trying to build a relationship with as many coaches as I can. Texas, Oklahoma, I just got that one and that’s big. Alabama, USC, Ohio State. I’m trying to talk to as many coaches as I can and build relationships because in the end it’s just going to be who I feel comfortable with and have a good relationship with.”

At 6-foot-3, 180 pounds, Nelson is ranked as the No. 2 pro-style quarterback in the country and No. 1 overall prospect in California, according to 247Sports Composite.

5 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Arch Manning's sophomore HUDL has been posted. It's 21 minutes long.

http://www.hudl.com/v/2F9aSH

I only watched a couple minutes of it, but I can confidently conclude he is good at playing QB. The two throws he had on the run around the 1 minute mark were pretty crazy.  

I was surprised by his throwing motion. It almost looks like he’s short arming the ball, but then he just throws darts all over the field so I guess it doesn’t matter. 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 2/26/2021 at 3:38 PM, kevwun said:

Best one I have heard is Kolachistan.

That fits. I lived in El Campo 40 years ago. I figure it's changed some since, but back then It was still a pretty clannish place. If your family hadn't lived there since before 1900, you were newcomers. Nearly every Czech surname (and there were many) needed to buy a vowel. 

• Haha 2

Looks like Arch got his athleticism from Cooper, a couple plays in and that's more moving the pocket and throwing on the run than I've seen out of Peyton or Eli. 

Feel free to call me a dumbass when Ewers is the best college qb of all time (or for any other reason) but if given the choice I'd take Maalik in '22 and Manning in '23 over Ewers and whoever the 2023 version of Charles Wright is. 

I know we are far from a sure thing for Arch but if Sark put together a qb room of RS junior Card, RS freshman Maalik Murphy, and true freshman Arch Manning we would be set up for some sustained qb success.

• Hook 'Em 3

Wells

Spoiler

OL Isaiah Robinson, Arlington Lamar (2023):

The big man is beginning to enjoy the recruiting process.

Texas A&M is very close to offering Robinson, and there’ll be more in the near future. Baylor, Oklahoma State, and SMU have already joined the mix.

Great feet and frame for the rising offensive tackle, who runs for a summer track team his father coaches in the off-season.

Texas hasn’t personally been in contact since Herb Hand left, however, Kyle Flood has been in contact with Lamar’s OL coach. Robinson says he’ll speak with Coach Flood soon.

At 6’6, 285 pounds and growing, OU and UT are still evaluating, but these type of prospects don’t grow on trees. He’s a looker.

• Hook 'Em 1

8 hours ago, Machinator said:

That's pretty damn impressive - especially when you consider the fact that he's running for his life behind that OL half the time. I'd be worried about batted balls with his throwing motion but he looks so accurate in those clips and throws on the run so well. 

12 hours ago, squeegeedegg said:

I don't love the throwing motion either, but I guess he gets results.  I'm starting to like Nelson more and more for '23

Not sure what you're watching. This hudl made me want to pass on Ewers. He's the real fucking deal. 

12 minutes ago, tokamak said:

LOL he looks like he's shot putting. How does someone with that pedigree end up with such an unorthodox motion?

My guess is it was similar to how Phillip Rivers developed his motion. He was a kid throwing a regulation size football and just never changed his motion because it worked so well

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, RGBIII said:

My guess is it was similar to how Phillip Rivers developed his motion. He was a kid throwing a regulation size football and just never changed his motion because it worked so well

just want to thank you for the pod.. just cameback from house hunting in Houston.. very entertaining.. Also you were correct.. candy glazed ribs at Pinkertons>>>>>>>>

• Hook 'Em 1

58 minutes ago, Thiefery said:

just want to thank you for the pod.. just cameback from house hunting in Houston.. very entertaining.. Also you were correct.. candy glazed ribs at Pinkertons>>>>>>>>

Hell ya tell your friends and don’t listen to Sydney my apple is always open to being polished 

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, Machinator said:

Sure seems like it takes the ball a long time to get there. What were tight windows in his HUDL would be interceptions in college ball. He is still really young, but he doesn't have a cannon. Admittedly, I only watched about the first three minutes. One can only watch the same play so many times from a different angle.

CHIEF

Edited by CHIEF

Horns 247 / Nick Harris / Rueben Owens discusses daily interactions since committing to Texas

Spoiler

Rueben Owens discusses daily interactions since committing to Texas

NickHarris

HOUSTON — El Campo (Texas) four-star running back Rueben Owens made his first appearance this past weekend at Pylon Houston since becoming the first 2023 commit in the Texas class last week.

Owens was in action playing for the Houston-based team Texas Stars Elite as he heads into the spring focused on getting better with most of his recruiting process already behind him.

"It feels good knowing that I'm locked down with a team and I don't have to keep going through this recruiting process too much," Owens said. "I knew I wanted to find a home and Texas has been really close to me since my freshman year. I knew I wanted to go Texas and I knew I didn't want to go far."

Since committing, Owens has felt the love from Texas fans on social media and in his hometown of El Campo as he continues a trend of three out of four recruiting classes that Texas has landed a top-two running back nationally.

"I felt the love on Twitter, Instagram and a lot of people in my town are Texas fans," he said. "People around my school were walking around saying I'm a Texas commit and all that."

Looking forward, Owens still plans on communicating with other schools, but with a commitment already locked down, it will take an overwhelming pitch to make a flip. With visits possibly opening up on June 1, he plans on seeing what some of his top contenders do have to offer, but will be focused on what Texas brings to the table.

"To be honest, I won't be looking for anything," he said about other schools. "I'm just seeing what they have to say."

At 5-foot-11, 187 pounds, Owens is the No. 26 ranked recruit in the country for the class of 2023, according to 247Sports. He is the No. 2 running back in the country and the No. 1 recruit in the state of Texas. If signed, Texas would land the No. 1 recruit from the state of Texas for the first time since the 2018 cycle when the Longhorns signed Jalen Green.

IN COMMENTS

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.41cc360c1b78af89762d37de7bbc598c.png

Edited by Getafix
  • Hook 'Em 1

22 minutes ago, Getafix said:

Horns 247 / Nick Harris / Rueben Owens discusses daily interactions since committing to Texas

Reveal hidden contents

Rueben Owens discusses daily interactions since committing to Texas

NickHarris

HOUSTON — El Campo (Texas) four-star running back Rueben Owens made his first appearance this past weekend at Pylon Houston since becoming the first 2023 commit in the Texas class last week.

Owens was in action playing for the Houston-based team Texas Stars Elite as he heads into the spring focused on getting better with most of his recruiting process already behind him.

"It feels good knowing that I'm locked down with a team and I don't have to keep going through this recruiting process too much," Owens said. "I knew I wanted to find a home and Texas has been really close to me since my freshman year. I knew I wanted to go Texas and I knew I didn't want to go far."

Since committing, Owens has felt the love from Texas fans on social media and in his hometown of El Campo as he continues a trend of three out of four recruiting classes that Texas has landed a top-two running back nationally.

"I felt the love on Twitter, Instagram and a lot of people in my town are Texas fans," he said. "People around my school were walking around saying I'm a Texas commit and all that."

Looking forward, Owens still plans on communicating with other schools, but with a commitment already locked down, it will take an overwhelming pitch to make a flip. With visits possibly opening up on June 1, he plans on seeing what some of his top contenders do have to offer, but will be focused on what Texas brings to the table.

"To be honest, I won't be looking for anything," he said about other schools. "I'm just seeing what they have to say."

At 5-foot-11, 187 pounds, Owens is the No. 26 ranked recruit in the country for the class of 2023, according to 247Sports. He is the No. 2 running back in the country and the No. 1 recruit in the state of Texas. If signed, Texas would land the No. 1 recruit from the state of Texas for the first time since the 2018 cycle when the Longhorns signed Jalen Green.

IN COMMENTS

Reveal hidden contents

image.thumb.png.41cc360c1b78af89762d37de7bbc598c.png

This "commitment" doesn't sound like a commitment at all

5 minutes ago, Tex-19 said:

Maybe think of it more like an arranged marriage where the parties in question have a *real* chance to fall in love and appear in a Hallmark movie based on their story? Perhaps the real commitment is the suitors we meet along the way. 

Edited by SydneyCarton
  • Haha 2

19 hours ago, Burt Macklin said:

I only watched a couple minutes of it, but I can confidently conclude he is good at playing QB. The two throws he had on the run around the 1 minute mark were pretty crazy.  

I was surprised by his throwing motion. It almost looks like he’s short arming the ball, but then he just throws darts all over the field so I guess it doesn’t matter. 

definitely more like a Marino, Rodgers, Romo motion keeping the ball low and using the body to rotate to generate all the force instead of Peyton's / Eli's over the top throwing motion. nice compact, quick release and motion. footwork looks great in the pocket, a bit off on the rollouts.

26 minutes ago, Tex-19 said:

Pretty much what it sounds like to me also. 

But, I think we have a lot better chance of not pissing someone in his circle off than with the past staff.