Texas Recruiting Notes 2023: Strippers, Monkeys, and 5-Stars

Machinator

Roach

Spoiler

— Nick Harris had a huge scoop earlier this evening when he reported that a source we spoke with expects Arch Manning to visit Austin this summer along with a big group of 2023 visitors. The Longhorns are looking to get a jumpstart on the next class and lone commit Rueben Owens is a big piece of that. Owens has been talking to Manning often and working to get him to join him in Austin. Nick also learned that Manning is expected to be on a Zoom call with Owens and the Texas staff tomorrow. We've exercised some caution when it comes to Manning so far and will continue to do so, but there is a growing belief in Austin that Texas can land the next in line from the first family of quarterbacks.

• Hook 'Em 4

1 hour ago, Machinator said:

Roach

Hide contents

— Nick Harris had a huge scoop earlier this evening when he reported that a source we spoke with expects Arch Manning to visit Austin this summer along with a big group of 2023 visitors. The Longhorns are looking to get a jumpstart on the next class and lone commit Rueben Owens is a big piece of that. Owens has been talking to Manning often and working to get him to join him in Austin. Nick also learned that Manning is expected to be on a Zoom call with Owens and the Texas staff tomorrow. We've exercised some caution when it comes to Manning so far and will continue to do so, but there is a growing belief in Austin that Texas can land the next in line from the first family of quarterbacks.

I obviously haven't read other schools 9.95ers so maybe we're getting sunshine but sure seems like Arch is honing in on UT.

Also love that Owens is doing work for us. 

2 hours ago, texifornia said:

Ole Miss has a very patrician vibe. LSU.... not exactly.

1 hour ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

On the surface, maybe but underneath it's really a Matt Patricia vibe

So possibly a bit rapey and woefully incompetent? Yeah I can see that.

IT

Spoiler

QB Arch Manning, Isidore Newman (New Orleans, LA) (2023):

Texas’ lone commit for 2023, Rueben Owens, is quite the recruiter himself.

When the El Campo native isn’t winning gold in district track, he’s reaching out to other junior-to-be prospects about joining the class.

One guy he’s focusing on is Arch Manning. Manning is supposed to take a few unofficials this summer with a group of 2023 prospects and Austin is in the discussion.

The New Orleans native is the top rated passer for 2023 and holds Steve Sarkisian in the highest esteem. LSU, Alabama, Ole Miss, and Clemson are thought to be the top competition for one of the most famous names in football.

• Hook 'Em 1

Wells

Spoiler

WR Jalen Hale, Longview (2023):

With the latest round of network rankings, the composite five-star got a decent boost. He's now not only one of the top pass-catchers in the country, he's one of the best overall.

He holds 25 offers including Alabama, Notre Dame, LSU, OU, and USC, and UT re-offered in March. But he hadn't heard much from Texas at all, and none recently, until late last week. [insert ladder]

Tonight, Hale spoke with head coach Steve Sarkisian. The 6-foot-2, 175-pound multi-sport stud was the first freshman on varsity at Longview in the last 15 years. He's got dude status and Texas wanted to assure Hale they view him as such.

Hale is one of the most complete wide receivers, regardless of class, in the state. With Jefferson QB transfer Joshua Thomas headed to Longview, Hale is primed to break all the Lobos scoring marks. Thomas is a plus+ athlete with a great arm and athleticism, mixed with accuracy. Hale and Thomas played AAU basketball as kids.

Hale says the call was helpful and productive. To be honest, OU and Texas A&M are the lead dogs today, but Hale is very open to what Sarkisian and the UT offense can and will do over the next few years. Hale wants to be coached and that fits a lot of programs. UT has time to catch up, and this evening was a step in the right direction.

TJ Shanahan Jr, Timber Creek (Orlando, FL) (2023):

Texas extended an offer to the 6-foot-4, 300-pound offensive tackle from Orlando on Monday evening.

The four-star who also plays basketball holds 35 offers including Alabama, Michigan, Stanford, Notre Dame, and others. The junior-to-be attended Florida State's practice last week. His family is very fond of Notre Dame, whom he calls Offensive Line University. Still, Kyle Flood is flexing a little and poking around the Sunshine State to see what's on tap.

This dude is an animal. He's strong guard/tackle with great feet and aggressive tendencies. He was happy to hear from the UT staff and might consider a visit in the future.

48 minutes ago, TexasEx said:

Listen to the last 5 minutes of his podcast. Seems like they think Arch is basically a silent. 

Listened to the podcast, transcript below:

"From my communications with the Manning family *WHEEZE*, I can definitely say *CRUNCH* that Arch Manning has in fact *GULP* heard of the University of Texas and he could *DEEP SNORT* even be considered *35 SECOND PAUSE TO CATCH BREATH* a silent commitment *GOUT FLARE*"

• Haha 6
  • Fuck You 1

47 minutes ago, RGBIII said:

Listened to the podcast, transcript below:

"From my communications with the Manning family *WHEEZE*, I can definitely say *CRUNCH* that Arch Manning has in fact *GULP* heard of the University of Texas and he could *DEEP SNORT* even be considered *35 SECOND PAUSE TO CATCH BREATH* a silent commitment *GOUT FLARE*"

Not even a mention of Roach's preference for Hawaiian wings over BBQ, clearly you didn't listen to the whole thing

Roach

Spoiler

— I've said on a few occasions that I feel Arlington Martin cornerback Javien Toviano could be the next commit in the 2023 class, and I came away from today feeling that Texas leads in this race. In fact, I went ahead and entered a 247Sports Crystal Ball pick for the Longhorns today. Toviano has several visits scheduled for the summer and might make it to the Texas spring game. Toviano will see Texas A&M and Oklahoma State early in June before making his way to Austin with a group of big time 2023 prospects for a trip in June.

— Speaking of that 2023 visit weekend, as Horns247 first reported last week, Texas is trying to put together a special weekend for 2023 prospects. Lone 2023 commit Rueben Owens is slated to visit, and we've been told that five-star passer Arch Manning is expected to be on that trip as well. We are told that the weekend of June 12 and are working on gathering more names. DeSoto's Johntay Cook is a guy who told us he plans to be on that visit. He told me today that he talks to Texas just about daily and just finished a comprehensive academic presentation with them for his mother to see. Elite wide receiver Jalen Hale also told me that Texas is increasing the contact with him and pushing harder. He's also been invited to Austin for that weekend and is considering making the visit. We will continue to dig for names and update as we get them.

• Hook 'Em 2

IT

Spoiler

OL Harris Sewell, Odessa Permian (2023):

The latest round of recruiting rankings puts the 6-foot-4, 300-pounder as one of the best in-state for 2023. The Mojo born guard/tackle possesses the abilities to play both at the next level, and that's how colleges are looking at him.

With 13 offers in hand including LSU, Oregon, and Notre Dame, Sewell is hearing often from Kyle Flood and the Texas staff. He's looking at an unofficial visit on June 12th or 13th, the same dates when a handful of 2023 prospects converge on Austin.

For now, Sewell is completely open. Despite family ties to Texas (his uncle and former ESPN radio host Will Cain attended UT), and Baylor, he really doesn't have any indication of where he might be leaning early on.

Of note: 2023 El Campo RB, Texas verbal Rueben Owens will be in Austin June 12th-13th for an unofficial visit. That is the same weekend that Arch Manning and Harris Sewell are tentatively scheduled to be in Austin.

• Hook 'Em 2

IT on visitors

Spoiler

June 11-13 weekend:

The class of 2023 unofficial visitor list is coming together in a big way for the staff. Quarterback Arch Manning (Isidore Newman - LA), running back commitment Rueben Owens (El Campo), wide receiver Johntay Cook (DeSoto) and wide receiver/athlete Dalton Brooks (Shiner) plan to be in Austin on June 12. Cook also has unofficial visits planned to Baylor June 7 and Oklahoma June 19. Offensive guard Harris Sewell (Odessa Permian) will also be in Austin June 12-13.

Class of 2023 prospects that plan to make an unofficial visit to Texas in June are defensive end David Hicks (Morton Ranch) and defensive end Dylan Spencer (C.E. King). The 6-foot-4, 245-pound Hicks also plans to see Alabama, Texas A&M, Oklahoma and Florida in June. The 6-foot-5, 245-pound Spencer also plans to visit Texas A&M.

17 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

I watched the Shiner/Hallettsville game last year (online), and Dalton Brooks absolutely struck me as a safety. Worth noting he's JBrooks' cousin.

I for one, am looking forward to the Brooks Brothers references.

4 hours ago, closetohumping said:

I'm not gonna listen to the podcast but you better not be fucking with me.

Of course they don't say that, but Roach said probably 5 times how there was good reason for Texas to be optimistic. Talked about the fact Eli almost went to Texas and how much they like Sark. My guess is we lead now and have a high chance of landing him as long as we don't fuck it up.  

• Hook 'Em 1

11 minutes ago, TexasEx said:

Of course they don't say that, but Roach said probably 5 times how there was good reason for Texas to be optimistic. Talked about the fact Eli almost went to Texas and how much they like Sark. My guess is we lead now and have a high chance of landing him as long as we don't fuck it up.  

as long as Ewers doesn't flip back*

Wells on Cozart

Spoiler

WR Ashton Cozart, Richland (2023):

The fast rising sophomore has been a blur during 7v7 and other camps. The Seattle transplant picked up offers from Oregon, Tennessee, and TCU recently. He's also a dude on the track, running a 10.74 100m as a sophomore. UT extended an offer yesterday evening and the message was clear.

“(Texas) was saying that they were struggling with wideouts and that they're recruiting dudes that are different," said Cozart. "They said I have that 'it' factor and that I check boxes in what they are looking for. They also said I have great speed and height and wants me to come to an unofficial visit this summer.”

Cozart is looking at the June 12th-13th weekend in Austin as a potential visit date. Still early, but Cozart thinks he has learned a few things during the recruiting process.

“I have to go harder than ever now," said Cozart. "I feel as soon as I got my first offer, it drove me to keep going harder but I don’t pay much attention to the hype. I know people can get caught up between that so I just keep tunnel vision and continue to make myself better everyday.”

This guy gets it on and off the field.

(Mike Roach)

Mike at Night: More 2023 prospects expected to visit in June

Spoiler

Mike at Night: More 2023 prospects expected to visit in June

Mike Roach

—I spoke with Denton Ryan linebacker Anthony Hill today who confirmed to me that he would be in Austin for the big 2023 visit weekend on June 12. The five-star prospect was recently named the No. 1 player in the state, and as we reported, Texas has been coming on as of late. This will be a big visit opportunity for Texas to make a move in this recruitment.

—Four-star Katy Mayde Creek defensive lineman DJ Hicks is another who expects to be in Austin for what is shaping up to be an elite weekend for 2023 prospects. The newly minted four-star and Top 5 prospect in Texas said he isn’t for sure yet but he hopes to make it to Austin that weekend. Texas is in a strong position early.

—One of the newer offers for Texas is 2023 Richland WR Ashton Cozart. Cozart spoke with me earlier today and raved about what the Texas offer meant to him. He’s yet another who is planning to be in Austin on June 12, and I would expect Texas to make a big move in that recruitment following the visit.

—Bradenton (Fla.) IMG Academy 2023 cornerback Malik Muhammad is another one to keep an eye on for the visit weekend. The former Dallas South Oak Cliff prospect was one of the early cornerback offers for the Longhorns, and he’s interested in seeing Austin when he gets the chance. If Muhammad comes he’d be along for the trip with DeSoto’s Johntay Cook who he is close friends with. We will continue to search for more visitors from the 2023 class as Texas looks to make a splash there early on.

• Hook 'Em 1

So this is the list so far for the big 2023 weekend, I think

Reuben Owens

Arch Manning

Johntay Cook

Dalton Brooks

DJ Hicks

Anthony Hill

Ashton Cozart

Jalen Hale (maybe)

Malik Muhammad (maybe)

Dylan Spencer (maybe)

Also, I haven't seen it reported that Toviano is making it in for that weekend, but I'd be surprised if he didn't make it in 

• Hook 'Em 6

53 minutes ago, Fud said:

Reuben Owens

Arch Manning

Johntay Cook

Dalton Brooks

DJ Hicks

Anthony Hill

Ashton Cozart

Jalen Hale (maybe)

Malik Muhammad (maybe)

Dylan Spencer (maybe)

Also, I haven't seen it reported that Toviano is making it in for that weekend, but I'd be surprised if he didn't make it in 

IT reported Harris Sewell will be in for the 2023 weekend as well. 

• Hook 'Em 1

13 hours ago, Fud said:

Reuben Owens

Arch Manning

Johntay Cook

Dalton Brooks

DJ Hicks

Anthony Hill

Ashton Cozart

Jalen Hale (maybe)

Malik Muhammad (maybe)

Dylan Spencer (maybe)

Roach said Anthony James is visiting in June, but I haven't seen anybody post a date yet.