Texas Recruiting Notes 2023: Strippers, Monkeys, and 5-Stars

Machinator

IT

Spoiler

June 11th-13th weekend:

Unofficial visitors — 2023

QB Arch Manning, Isidore Newman - New Orleans: Sark’s first ‘junior day’ will be with Manning. That alone is newsworthy. Alabama is always mentioned along with Texas, but LSU is receiving more mention in the Pelican State in the last couple of weeks. Texas will be a fixture in this recruitment.

RB Rueben Owens, El Campo (TEXAS): The lone Longhorn pledge for 2023 will be in his element, namely chopping it up with some of the state’s top junior targets.

WR Johntay Cook, DeSoto: The nationally recruited receiver out of DeSoto will be in Austin on June 12th, and has unofficial visits for Baylor June 7th and OU June 19th. OU was a favorite entering the process.

WR Ashton Cozart, Richland Hills: Recently offered, the ultra-athletic pass-catcher is a fan of UT. His father is originally from Texas and the move-in from the Pacific Northwest enjoys the football culture the state offers. He’s a must-get in the class.

ATH Dalton Brooks, Shiner: Brooks has said he will definitely be in Austin June 12. He could play offense or defense. Another must-get who Texas is in great shape for.

OL Harris Sewell, Odessa Permian: He’s the top-rated blocker in-state for his class. Probably a guard. He has some Texas ties. Yet another must-get.

CB Javien Toviano, Arlington Martin: One of the top corners in the country, this quiet Texas lean could be UT’s second pledge in the class.

DE David Hicks Jr, Katy Morton Ranch: The 6-foot-4, 245-pound Hicks plans to see Alabama, Texas, Texas A&M, Oklahoma, and Florida in June.

DE Dylan Spencer, C.E. King: The 6-foot-5, 245-pound Spencer also plans to visit Texas A&M in June

DE Ashton Porter, Cy-Ranch (2023): Another of the potentially elite defensive ends in-state for the next cycle. Porter was offered this week and eager to see more of UT. Texas HAS to hit big on d-line in 2023.

Edited by Machinator
  • Hook 'Em 1

(CJ Vogel) 2023 Arlington Seguin S Jamel Johnson Talks Texas

Spoiler

One of the fastest risers in the state for the 2023 class is Arlington Seguin safety Jamel Johnson. The 6’1″, 175 pound defensive back is set to be one of the most sought after recruits in the state for the upcoming cycle.

In the two day span of February 10-11, Johnson received offers from LSU, Alabama, Texas, USC, Tulsa, Kansas State, Texas A&M and Oklahoma. Talk about stock skyrocketing.

Jeff Banks is spearheading the charge for Johnson who added that Banks was “a very cool guy” and someone he enjoys speaking with.

Texas is recruiting Johnson as a safety which is worth noting because he mentioned most of the schools after him are looking at him at cornerback. “Really, they are recruiting me as a safety too. They like how I come downhill and hit.”

With the end of the dead period on the horizon, Johnson said he will go visit whichever school wants him on campus in the first month or two of summer.

Johnson told me he is hearing often from Kansas State and Baylor, though he added that he has been in contact with most of the aforementioned group from above. I’ll look to get more in-depth with Johnson whenever he is able to see these campuses in person, as for now it’s just worth noting that the Longhorns are keeping tabs on one of the state’s best.

MIKE ROACH:  Where Texas stands with the Top 10 2023 prospects in Texas

Spoiler

Where Texas stands with the Top 10 2023 prospects in Texas
MIKE ROACH

The updated 2023 Top247 was released last week.

As always, the state of Texas was well-represented with a wealth of talent and high-end ability. Recruiting the state of Texas and keeping the best prospects in state is top priority for Steve Sarkisian, and they are working to get a head start in the 2023 class.

It's still early, and many of these prospects still have to take visits this summer to get a better idea for where things stand with each school. Still, there are some prospects Texas is in a good position with early on.

For traditional success, Texas must do well with the Top 10 prospects in the state. Where does Texas stand with those players? We give you a look.

Five-star LB/DE Anthony Hill, Denton Ryan

Height/Weight: 6-2, 225

247Sports Rating: No. 11 nationally, No. 1 in Texas

The Longhorns trailed for Hill as Oklahoma, Texas A&M and a few other national programs steamed ahead. In the last month, Texas has been able to make a move toward the front with a relentless effort from the staff. Hill is set to visit Texas in June when the Longhorns plan to host several elite 2023 prospects. It will be a tough battle to land the instant impact defender, but the Longhorns are back in the race.

Five-star WR Jalen Hale, Longview

Height/Weight: 6-2, 175

247Sports Rating: No. 24 nationally, No. 2 in Texas

Texas has work to do with one of the top playmakers in the country. Though it’s changed as of late, Hale said that Texas wasn’t strong with its contact under this staff. Now, the Longhorns will have to make a furious push to overcome rival programs Texas A&M and Oklahoma who are both in much better standing for him. Texas could start to change the perception if they are able to get Hale in for a visit this summer.

Five-star RB Rueben Owens, El Campo

Height/Weight: 5-11, 187

247Sports Rating: No. 37 nationally, No. 3 in Texas
The first commit of the 2023 Texas class is one of the best in the country. Owens has been a freakish prospect since his freshman year and he was a huge early win for Steve Sarkisian and the Longhorns to kick off the 2023 group. Now, Owens is in recruiter mode working on major prospects like Hill and five-star passer Arch Manning. Owens plans to make his visit to Texas as soon as he can, and that could start with a trip to the spring game in a few weeks.

Five-star DT David Hicks, Katy Morton Ranch

Height/Weight: 6-4, 250

247Sports Rating: No. 42 nationally, No. 4 in Texas

Hicks has emerged as one of the best defensive linemen in the nation and Texas is in very strong standing to begin with. Hicks hasn’t been shy about hiding his affinity for the Longhorns, and he grew up going to Texas games with his dad. A skilled player with excellent academic standing, Hicks is going to explore his options. It should be a tough battle to win him, but Texas is positioned well early on to do so.

Four-star DE Anthony James, Wylie East

Height/Weight: 6-5, 245

247Sports Rating: No. 47 nationally, No. 5 in Texas

James was an early commit to Texas A&M and appears to be locked in with the Aggies. James still plans to take some trips and will be in Austin this June as he continues to build a relationship with Bo Davis and the Texas coaching staff. James pulled the trigger early for gthe Aggies and has been a vocal recruiter for them, so it would take a lot for a school to overcome the grip they have on him.

Five-star DT Jordan Renaud, Lewisville

Height/Weight: 6-4, 250

247Sports Rating: No. 53 nationally, No. 6 in Texas

Renaud recently moved from Florida and picked up a ton of new offers. Renaud is still pretty open in his recruitment. Sources near him expect Renaud to end up in the SEC, but Texas has one of his teammates on board already in Armani Winfield and could make an impression if they are able to get him in on a visit this summer.

Four-star WR Jaquaize Pettaway, Houston Langham Creek

Height/Weight: 5-11, 170

247Sports Rating: No. 65 nationally, No. 7 in Texas

Pettaway is one of the most productive and explosive receivers in the state and he hasn’t opened up much on his recruitment. Oklahoma and LSU are two schools that made early impacts and there is some thought Pettaway could head out of state when he eventually makes a decision. This race is still in its early stages and could evolve down the line.

Four-star TE Jaden Greathouse, Austin Westlake

Height/Weight: 6-2, 206

247Sports Rating: No. 79 nationally, No. 8 in Texas

The local product was re-offered by the Texas staff, but there hasn’t been a ton of contact since that point. Greathouse is still fairly open with schools like Oklahoma making an early impact on him. Greathouse will take some time to make his visits this summer and figure out which schools fit his skillset the best. Texas always has pull with Westlake players, so perhaps things could change if they engage more.

Four-star CB Javien Toviano, Arlington Martin

Height/Weight: 6-0, 185

247Sports Rating: No. 85 nationally, No. 9 in Texas

Texas was one of the schools to offer Toviano early and his affinity for the Longhorns carried over to the new coaching staff. Toviano has two predictions on the 247Sports Crystal Ball in favor of the Longhorns, and Texas will be tough to beat. Notre Dame, Texas A&M and Oklahoma State are other programs in the race for him as he looks to take some visits this summer.

Four-star WR Johntay Cook, Desoto

Height/Weight: 6-0, 170

247Sports Rating: No. 86 nationally, No. 10 in Texas

Cook is one of the most heavily recruited prospects in the state of Texas in his class, and the Longhorns are in the race early. Texas has been putting the full court press on him lately, and the Longhorns sit at the top along with LSU, Oklahoma and Alabama. Cook is one of the best natural wide receiver prospects in the state of Texas and will be a lethal offensive weapon for every school recruiting him.

(Justin Wells) Texas commit visits nation's top QB for 2023

Spoiler

While participating in a 7v7 tournament in New Orleans over the weekend, El Campo four-star tailback and Texas commit Rueben Owens wanted to go sight-seeing.

That led him to the home of the nation’s top passer for 2023, Isidore Newman’s Arch Manning.

“I was over (at his house) for a few hours on Saturday, just chilling, and talking a little football,” said Owens, the top rated tailback in Texas. “We’re super excited and can’t wait to be on the 40 Acres soon.”

Owens is competing in the area track meet in Sealy this week, but knows his role as recruiter for UT’s 2023 class is an on-going job.

“(Arch) and I were talking a little about Texas,” Owens said. “I was just really vibing with him getting to know my future QB1.”

What do Owens and the 2023 bunch converging on UT’s campus in early June want to see this summer?

“Really everything,” Owens stated. “I want to meet the rest of the staff. I want to see the weight room, locker room, and the Longhorn (emblem in south end zone) in the stands. I can’t wait to walk out of that tunnel on to the field.”

Owens is quietly becoming a leader of the 2023 cycle for Texas, and making a trip to visit his potential teammate was a step the right direction.

• Hook 'Em 6

IT on Dalton Brooks

Spoiler

ATH Dalton Brooks,Shiner - 2023

The 6-foot-1, 180-pound four-star safety is squarely on the Horns radar.

He’ll be in Austin in June, with a number of other 2023 prospects for UT's "Junior Day" on 6/12-6/13. He holds 10 offers including Alabama, Arkansas, Arizona State, and LSU with a handful already standing out.

“I want to visit every school but the ones I really want to visit are Texas, Alabama, USC, LSU, A&M," said Brooks. “It’s fun, you know, to experience the recruiting process and talking with all the coaches.”

He's a two-way player on the gridiron for Shiner, helping win the Texas 2A-D1 state championship in December, while earning Offensive MVP honors. It's early in his recruitment, but his goals are simple — find the best fit for him and his family.

“To fit in right away, for the college to have a bit of home feeling to it," said Brooks. "I think highly of (Texas), and they are very great people and coaches as well.”

Football is a family affair for the Brooks family. His cousin, Hallettsville running back Jonathon Brooks, enrolls at Texas in June. His brother Doug, a human bowling ball, is a current teammate.

What's it like playing with your brother at Shiner?

“Playing with Doug, it’s always been fun," said Brooks. "We just go out there and play.”

Brooks is in the elite category for in-state products for 2023. Texas was his first offer and is in a good early position.

Edited by Machinator

Wells

Spoiler

OL TJ Shanahan Jr, Timber Creek (Orlando, FL) (2023):

The big, nasty offensive tackle from south of the swamp has the attention of the nation’s top o-line coaches. When you're going into your junior season with 37 offers, everyone wants your attention.

At 6-foot-4, 300 pounds, the four-star left tackle has suitors from everywhere - Alabama, Ohio State, Notre Dame, and Stanford. To this point, he's still enjoying the process.

“The recruiting process is awesome," Shanahan said. "It hasn’t been too hectic, but the closer it gets to September 1st, then I can feel it start to pick up. Honestly, I want to visit any school that has offered me but a few likely would be Ohio State, Florida, Alabama, North Carolina, and Texas A&M."

His next address will not only resemble home, but present an inviting depth chart.

“You know, I’m just looking for a place to call home," said Shanahan. "I’m looking for a school I will start at as a true freshman. But honestly, a school my family and I love. Just a special place that I’ll be spending the next three to four years of my life.”

With so much attention, where does the Texas offer stand?

“I think the Texas offer is a great opportunity to play at the next level," said Shanahan. "I feel like Coach Sarkisian and Coach Flood are awesome coaches and did great things at the University of Alabama, so I’m excited to see what they accomplish at the University of Texas.”

Like most out-of-state elites, getting him to Austin is the next step. UT is taking its shot.

2 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Wells

Hide contents

OL TJ Shanahan Jr, Timber Creek (Orlando, FL) (2023):

The big, nasty offensive tackle from south of the swamp has the attention of the nation’s top o-line coaches. When you're going into your junior season with 37 offers, everyone wants your attention.

At 6-foot-4, 300 pounds, the four-star left tackle has suitors from everywhere - Alabama, Ohio State, Notre Dame, and Stanford. To this point, he's still enjoying the process.

“The recruiting process is awesome," Shanahan said. "It hasn’t been too hectic, but the closer it gets to September 1st, then I can feel it start to pick up. Honestly, I want to visit any school that has offered me but a few likely would be Ohio State, Florida, Alabama, North Carolina, and Texas A&M."

His next address will not only resemble home, but present an inviting depth chart.

“You know, I’m just looking for a place to call home," said Shanahan. "I’m looking for a school I will start at as a true freshman. But honestly, a school my family and I love. Just a special place that I’ll be spending the next three to four years of my life.”

With so much attention, where does the Texas offer stand?

“I think the Texas offer is a great opportunity to play at the next level," said Shanahan. "I feel like Coach Sarkisian and Coach Flood are awesome coaches and did great things at the University of Alabama, so I’m excited to see what they accomplish at the University of Texas.”

Like most out-of-state elites, getting him to Austin is the next step. UT is taking its shot.

I tend to think of Orlando as more mid-swamp in my head.

Roach

Spoiler

— 2023 Lewisville DL Jordan Renaud is a serious prospect. The composite five-star holds 20 offers and Texas is among them. The Longhorns are in the race for now, but this one will be tough. Renaud had a one-on-one conversation with Nick Saban today and will see Alabama and Oklahoma during the summer. There will likely be other visits, but he doesn't have any scheduled at the time. Renaud did say he has a good relationship with Bo Davis, but it's going to take a big effort to win him over.

Wells on Ashton Porter

Spoiler

DE Ashton Porter, Cy-Ranch (2023):

The in-state stock of defensive ends is ever growing. For the juniors-to-be, this 6-foot-3, 225-pound four-star from Cypress wants to be in that conversation.

After a unanimous 16-6A All-District first team pick following his sophomore campaign, his stat line was impressive - 32 tackles, 11.5 tackles for loss, four sacks, and two forced fumbles. With four offers - Texas, Arizona State, Colorado, and SMU - it's refreshing seeing the UT staff building the early foundation.

After his Texas offer, what was the message from the UT staff?

“That I checked every box," said Porter. "Including my grades, my play on the field, and working in the community.”

Porter mentioned a possible trip to Austin on June 12th-13th. He really just wants to find a place to grow over the next 4-6 years.

“I’m looking for a college that fits my style of play, culture and opportunities after college," said Porter. "I learned that I have to stay humble, be patient, and appreciate and enjoy the recruiting process.”

With his recruitment so early, it's nice to see UT pro-active with the 2023 cycle, especially of prospects with obvious potential.

IT

Spoiler

OLB Drayk Bowen, Andrean (Merrillville, IN) (2023):

The 6-foot-2, 215-pound five-star linebacker was the latest to receive an offer from the Longhorns on Tuesday evening. The outside backer holds 16 offers, including Notre Dame, LSU, Michigan, and FSU.

“The recruiting process has been fun getting to know all the coaches and build relationships," said Bowen. "At times, it can be overwhelming because of all the attention but overall it is pretty fun. I want to try to see as many schools as I can. I just really like building the relationships with all the coaches and see what the schools like."

He had a fantastic sophomore campaign, and has tallied 130 tackles, 23 tackles for loss, eight sacks, five fumble recoveries, four forced fumbles, and one interception in his first two seasons. He's got some familiarity with the Lone Star state too.

"I think it’s really cool getting the Texas offer," Bowen said. "My dad is originally from Texas, and we go down there to see family a couple times a year."

He also excels on the diamond, but has yet to hear from the Texas baseball staff.

"I want to try to do both in college (football and baseball), but right now it isn’t a deal-breaker," Bowen insisted. "I’m looking for a program where I can get a good education, compete for a spot on the field early, winning team, and a place that feels like a second home."

Notre Dame was early here and looks strong heading into his junior year. But I think Texas made an impression on him too, and a visit to Austin could be likely.

WR Carnell Tate, IMG Academy (from Chicago, IL) (2023):

Texas continues to look nationwide for any prospects that fit Steve Sarkisian's program. They extended an offer to the explosive pass-catcher on Tuesday, originally from Chicago, Tate plays at the IMG Academy in Bradenton, FL.

With 21 offers including Florida State, Notre Dame, Arizona State, and Georgia, a handful are sticking out early in his sweepstakes.

“LSU, Northwestern, Notre Dame, Michigan, Florida State, and Penn State are recruiting the hardest," said Tate. What about the Horns?

“(Texas) talked about how they loved how I play," said Tate. "They also talked about how they would need guys like me in their offense.”

It's no secret Sarkisian is looking for bona-fide playmakers at the next level. Tate easily falls into that category. After 28 catches, 444 yards, and five touchdowns in 2019, Tate is beginning to formulate what he wants his future program.

“I want a place that can help me fulfill my ultimate dream, the NFL," Tate said. "A place that puts the ball in the air. Outside of that, I want a place that I can call home. Somewhere that will help develop me into a man and help me take on the world outside of football.”

Tate didn’t play in 2020 (they didn’t in Chicago), which is why he moved to IMG.

If Texas can get this guy in Austin, we might be on to something. Today, Florida State is setting the pace with the four-star talent.