Texas Recruiting Notes 2023: Strippers, Monkeys, and 5-Stars

Machinator

Nick Harris:  '23 list of recruits expected to visit Texas after dead period

Spoiler

'23 list of recruits expected to visit Texas after dead period

Nick Harris

The NCAA dead period is finally being lifted after its expiration on May 31 and schools across the country are already getting a head start on scheduling visits for recruits in the 2022, 2023 and 2024 classes.

For Texas, the Longhorns are planning on hosting four visit weekends during the month of June with one of them expected to have a big group of some of the best 2023 recruits in the region and another expected to have just about every major target in the 2022 class.

In this article, we'll take a look at the full list of recruits that are expected to make their way to the Forty Acres in June to see the Texas campus (list is subject to change):

2023 PROSPECTS

Note: All 2023 visitors are expected to visit during the June 11-13 weekend. This list will be the most fluid since they will all be unofficial visits with last-second subtractions and additions possible.

New Orleans (La.) Isidore Newman five-star quarterback Arch Manning

El Campo (Texas) five-star running back Rueben Owens

DeSoto (Texas) four-star wide receiver Johntay Cook

North Richland Hills (Texas) three-star wide receiver Ashton Cozart

Odessa (Texas) Permian four-star offensive guard Harris Sewell

Denton (Texas) Ryan five-star defensive end Anthony Hill

Houston (Texas) C.E. King four-star defensive end Dylan Spencer

Katy (Texas) Morton Ranch five-star defensive end David Hicks Jr.

Cypress (Texas) Ranch four-star defensive end Ashton Porter

Arlington (Texas) Martin four-star cornerback Javien Toviano

Shiner (Texas) four-star athlete Dalton Brooks

39 minutes ago, Hornlover said:

I mean, you could say that EVERY damned day. Yep, it could be interesting. Could be dull as shit. Let's see what happens?

Well sure, but then FCB would lose credibility, and I think we can all agree, if there’s one thing FCB prides himself on, it’s his credibility.

(Mike Roach)

Mike at Night: Notes on spring game visitors ('23)

Spoiler

Mike at Night: Notes on spring game visitors

Mike Roach

— 2023 DeSoto WR Johntay Cook is a maybe for the game. He'd like to make it but he has a track meet that might interfere with the ability to visit. The same can be said for Rueben Owens. The lone commit in the 2023 class has a track meet that will interfere with his visit as well. There's a report that 2023 quarterback Arch Manning will also be in attendance. We have not confirmed if that's the case or not but we are checking on that. We thought that if he was visiting, Owens would be along with him. The two have been growing a bond as Owens has been trying to get him to Austin and Owens recently spent the day with Manning after traveling to New Orleans for a 7v7 tournament.

If Arch Manning makes it in for the spring game this weekend, the whole entourage is said to be coming - immediate family, Archie, grandma. Would be a newsworthy thing in the CFB landscape. 

Apparently Georgia is really making its case and trending well, but Texas is still front and center and makes a ton of sense. Should be an interesting ride.

• Hook 'Em 1

CJ Vogel

Spoiler

** On a brighter note, 2023 DL Jordan Renaud will be in Austin this weekend for the Texas spring game. Renaud told me he and DL coach Bo Davis have been in contact a lot recently.

I’ll have more on him later in the week but he’s absolutely going to be one of the most coveted defensive linemen in the state so this is a good sign early on.

19 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

If Arch Manning makes it in for the spring game this weekend, the whole entourage is said to be coming - immediate family, Archie, grandma. Would be a newsworthy thing in the CFB landscape. 

Apparently Georgia is really making its case and trending well, but Texas is still front and center and makes a ton of sense. Should be an interesting ride.

Georgia??? Wtf have they ever done for QBs. And he doesn't need bags

• Hook 'Em 3

2 minutes ago, Tex-19 said:

Let's not act like UGA doesn't have a sell that's on a similar level to UT right now. A system that isn't as QB-friendly, but with much more consistent recent success, and an excellent college town with similar academic quality.

1 minute ago, texifornia said:

Let's not act like UGA doesn't have a sell that's on a similar level to UT right now. A system that isn't as QB-friendly, but with much more consistent recent success, and an excellent college town with similar academic quality.

Absolute, sheer bullshit.

• Hook 'Em 4

26 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I assume UGA's bag game won't have much of an impact on this one.

1 minute ago, UDontKnow said:

A very imperfect metric, but:

https://www.usnews.com/best-colleges/university-of-texas-at-austin-3658

https://www.usnews.com/best-colleges/university-of-georgia-1598

UGA's up there with Ohio State in terms of schools that have gotten a lot better at school in the past couple decades.

Edited by texifornia

Just now, texifornia said:

Oh I agree with that - UGA seems like a great place to go to college. I'll never knock someone for that. Just that if you're a QB with NFL dreams it clearly isn't at the top of this list. 

12 minutes ago, UDontKnow said:

You can quibble all you want about individual college rankings, and all kinds of shit, but at the end of the day in the US News rankings, we're 44 and they're 47. Thats more than enough to pay lip service to a kid who just wants a "good" education and play football. Do we know the difference, as well as how we're ranked internationally, what it means to be a Public Ivy, being a member of the AAU? Yeah. But most kids aren't digging that deep. I'd argue particularly ones like someone from the Manning family who feel like their kids success is all but assured regardless. 

45 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

CALCULATOR

image.png.eac92ac075560974177edc8cde397d64.png

• Hook 'Em 2

18 minutes ago, texifornia said:

A very imperfect metric, but:

https://www.usnews.com/best-colleges/university-of-texas-at-austin-3658

https://www.usnews.com/best-colleges/university-of-georgia-1598

UGA's up there with Ohio State in terms of schools that have gotten a lot better at school in the past couple decades.

coolcool now do Austin v Athens (which, as a former resident of greater Atlanta, is not Atlanta) Athens : Atlanta :: Waco : Austin

4 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

IMO it seems like Arch and his family don’t give much to the 995 crowd so I could see why they would report that. Seems like they hold everything close to the vest. 

Either that or payment for the trip hasn't gone through.  There's always an uncle...

1573230347297.jpeg

• Haha 9

23 minutes ago, UDontKnow said:

Fuck All That Steve Buscemi GIF - FuckAllThat SteveBuscemi Thinking -  Discover & Share GIFs

A thoughtful, well reasoned response supported by facts. On the other hand, Fuck Texifornia. 

14 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Show me on the doll where Michael Stipe touched you.

He touched all of us, violently, in the ears for the entirety of his fucking career. I gotta tell you, I've never heard a negative thing about Athens either, but you're really making an outstanding case against your own interests on this topic. Michael Stipe deserves to burn in hell for eternity. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

thinking back on it, @texifornia seems to be the instigator of the academics and "it's a nice place to live" debates more times than not. I don't think he gets enough shit for that. 

Yeah, and he's always gotta white knight for the other place. Watch:

Moscow State University is an overrated school in a shitty city. No wonder no recruits want to go there.

Edited by Bevo14

Just now, SydneyCarton said:

What Am I looking at? It looks like a less pink version of the Atlantis resort in the Bahamas, in need of about 4 consecutive months of power washing, got dumped in the middle of some trees. 

That's Moscow State University. Peak Stalinist architecture.

9 minutes ago, texifornia said:

You underrate their bandy team at your own peril, SIR

Reveal hidden contents

%D0%9C%D0%93%D0%A3,_%D0%B2%D0%B8%D0%B4_%

7 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

What Am I looking at? It looks like a less pink version of the Atlantis resort in the Bahamas, in need of about 4 consecutive months of power washing, got dumped in the middle of some trees. 

I have a friend who works for a Russian-owned company and travels to Moscow about once a year.  He says it's actually quite beautiful in the Fall and the city is filled with butterfaced thots so don't count the real MSU out in a battle for any Eastern European recruits.  

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Tex-19 said:

1 hour ago, Tex-19 said:

Oh I agree with that - UGA seems like a great place to go to college. I'll never knock someone for that. Just that if you're a QB with NFL dreams it clearly isn't at the top of this list. 

Ummmmmmm...... Are you familiar with our track record developing QBs over the last dozen years?

39 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Actually a pretty accurate description

1 hour ago, texifornia said:

Ooooo Fong vs ctj source-off

I used the word “if” for a reason. It’s not a sure thing, but Wiltfong also doesn’t know a fucking thing about this one right now. He texted a coaching buddy in NOLA and got an “IDK” back and that’s apparently news to Roach and the 247 clowns. 

1 hour ago, texifornia said:

Show me on the doll where Michael Stipe touched you.

I’ve also been to Athens. It’s a lot like Knoxville and Clemson in that regional honks go on for days raving about it but once you stop in for yourself it seems like 1000 other towns with some local charm and a bunch of fucking hype. 

15 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

I have a friend who works for a Russian-owned company and travels to Moscow about once a year.  He says it's actually quite beautiful in the Fall and the city is filled with butterfaced thots so don't count the real MSU out in a battle for any Eastern European recruits.  

So you declare war on texifornia and then subsequently attempt to summon Carl? I can get behind one of those things but the other, sir, is an act of aggression towards the collective of this board. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 4

35 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I’ve also been to Athens. It’s a lot like Knoxville and Clemson in that regional honks go on for days raving about it but once you stop in for yourself it seems like 1000 other towns with some local charm and a bunch of fucking hype. 

The 40-Watt Club alone sets that place apart from the rest, not to count a pretty decent open mic comedy scene and one not too shabby Indian food joint. But yah, outside of that you just spend your time dodging boiled peanut slingin' cultists and organic food pop-ups.

I went to Athens for a UGA game a few years ago.  Lots of hot sorority chicks.  Beautiful scenery.  I thought it would be a pretty fun school to attend as a college student.  As an adult, I would never live there.

Academics:  Texas>UGA

City:  Texas>UGA unless you like the small college town vibe

Bitches:  UGA>Texas  (but no shortage hot girls to fuck in Austin)

Team Talent:  UGA >Texas (barely and many could argue we have better roster right now)

Offense:  Texas> UGA  

Not sure why Manning would go to UGA.  Kirby couldn't even pick the better QB between Fields and Fromm.  Kirby can build a roster by buying recruits but they always get their asses handed to them against any decent coach. They are Bama's bitch and I imagine UF will surpass them soon. Hell Tom Herman put a whipping on him.  

16 minutes ago, victory88 said:

Academics:  Texas>UGA

City:  Texas>UGA unless you like the small college town vibe

Bitches:  UGA>Texas  (but no shortage hot girls to fuck in Austin)

Team Talent:  UGA >Texas (barely and many could argue we have better roster right now)

Offense:  Texas> UGA  

I guess mascot speaks for itself

tenor.gif

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

(Super K) More on Arch Manning

Spoiler

As you know, Texas is in pursuit of 5-star 2023 QB, Arch Manning. Manning would not only be a massive pull for Texas but it would also act as a potential counter to the fairly likely outcome of the Sooners landing Malachi Nelson.

First, is Texas a real player in the Arch Manning race?

According to Manning’s coach, who I spoke with, absolutely.

CJ reported earlier this week that there is a possibility that Manning will make it in for this weekend’s spring game. That’s something we have heard from multiple people. I still don’t have a final confirmation on that but the fact that it seems to be a serious consideration is, in my estimation, noteworthy.

I was driving when I spoke with Manning’s high school coach so I was unable to write the record/write notes. But he emphasized:

1. That they communicate with coach Sark quite a bit.

2. The coach and the family do seem to be big believers in Sark and what he can build at Texas in the future. The coach gushed about Sark so much he almost struck me as a Texas fan. Said he’s really hoping Sark is able to bring Texas back.

3. Also, emphasized how that they perceive Sark as a true offensive and quarterback genius. This is significant because given Arch’s pedigree, they’re going to look for more than just shiny things and a good pitch. They’ve got shiny things and they can see through a good pitch. They’re going to look for a true developer of the position and there aren’t many of those.

4. I get the sense that they are also very impressed with Sark as a person. Talked about how down-to-earth and relatable he is and how that is such a big bonus when added to the fact that he’s an elite play-caller.

Based on the conversation with Arch’s coach and speaking to some other sources about Arch and then another little note that Darius passed on (still working to get additional confirmation on it), Texas is very much in this one.

• Hook 'Em 9