Texas Recruiting Notes 2023: Strippers, Monkeys, and 5-Stars

Machinator

IT

Spoiler

CB Javien Toviano, Arlington Martin (2023):

One of the state’s top prospects headed to College Station for the A&M spring game on Saturday. Toviano tells IT he had a great time and is eager to return.

While the future five-star corner still loves the Longhorns, the Aggies might’ve crept into this sweepstakes. Still, it’s early, so you’ll see the usually ebb-and-flow of the process.

Toviano will be in Austin on June 12th, a date when the Horns host some of the nation’s top talents for the next cycle (2023). With Morice Blackwell and Trevell Johnson helping, I still like where UT stands this morning.

RB Rueben Owens, El Campo (2023)

Rueben Owens took part in the ESPN Elite Underclassmen Camp Sunday at C.E. King. Owens remains a solid verbal to Texas, but he will make visits. This is a once in a lifetime opportunity for Owens, and he’s not going to turn down the opportunity to see Alabama, and some others schools in person. With that said, the Longhorns will be a strong favorite barring the unforeseen.

QB Arch Manning, Isidore Newman (2023)

In speaking with a pair of sources over the weekend, the two schools IT is hearing most in the Arch Manning recruitment is Texas and Alabama. If a third school picks up steam, it could be Georgia. Arch Manning remains scheduled to be in Austin June 12 with a number of Texas targets in the 2023 class.

On 4/22/2021 at 4:18 PM, SydneyCarton said:

I'm not even remotely cranky. I'm just attempting to identify the thought process of this guy. It's called "learning." 

This makes two threads you’ve now  jumped on guys for fairly pedestrian comments. You’re not getting any, are you. 

Roach on Hicks

Spoiler

— Nick and I spent some time with elite 2023 defensive lineman David Hicks this evening. It's early, but this is shaping up to be a titanic fight for one of the best defensive linemen in the country. Hicks grew up going to UT football games as his father coached Roderick Bernard at Sharpstown and Jordan Elliott at Houston Westside. While Texas has that inherent advantage, that won't win the battle alone. Hicks recently went to Texas A&M for their spring game and should be in Austin several times this summer. He's also planning an east coast trip that will cover LSU, Alabama, Georgia, Ole Miss and Clemson. I like where the Longhorns stand right now as Steve Sarkisian has been taking the lead in the recruitment so far. This one is a long way from being done and will be a heavyweight battle to win him over.

Listened to Baizer and Darius's podcast episode.  So Darius Terrell was mentioning that Arch Manning and his family are big fans of Sark.  Talks to the family daily.  Said if we can show a good offense, that Texas should receive good news this fall before NSD. 

I think Sark is going to win this one.  His history of putting QBs in the NFL at multiple schools while also coaching in the NFL are a big selling point.  

Also Darius, if you're reading this... the sarcastic tone gets old man.  We know you think us fans are idiots and over react.  Try to be a bit more personable and enjoyable.  I like listening to your takes since you played at Texas and have a unique perspective as a coach now.  But stop being so negative all of the time.  

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, victory88 said:

Listened to Baizer and Darius's podcast episode.  So Darius Terrell was mentioning that Arch Manning and his family are big fans of Sark.  Talks to the family daily.  Said if we can show a good offense, that Texas should receive good news this fall before NSD. 

I think Sark is going to win this one.  His history of putting QBs in the NFL at multiple schools while also coaching in the NFL are a big selling point.  

Also Darius, if you're reading this... the sarcastic tone gets old man.  We know you think us fans are idiots and over react.  Try to be a bit more personable and enjoyable.  I like listening to your takes since you played at Texas and have a unique perspective as a coach now.  But stop being so negative all of the time.  

Some of his write ups and comments with subscribers on TFB lately are negative too. Guy scorches the earth with any talk of Card over Thompson at QB. 

Edited by Okcool

37 minutes ago, victory88 said:

I hear most of that differently. He has little patience with Will's half cocked ideas and is quick to point out how wrong some of them are. He does get petty at times but has a good fb eye. It's when he expands his thoughts outside of fb that he falls flat imo. I do think this is one of the better pods going because it's two guys from different worlds having a longhorn discussion. I also love that DT loves Texas and it's clear he wants us to be great, nice to see from a guy that clearly works hard and had to transfer to find his way.

6 minutes ago, Okcool said:

Some of his write ups and comments with subscribers are on TFB lately are negative too. Guy scorches the earth with any talk of Card over Thompson at QB. 

That's because talk of Card at this moment is premature, there is no reason to think Card is ahead of Casey.

1 hour ago, victory88 said:

Overreact is one word. 

• Rage+1 1

18 minutes ago, Goodman said:

I hear most of that differently. He has little patience with Will's half cocked ideas and is quick to point out how wrong some of them are. He does get petty at times but has a good fb eye. It's when he expands his thoughts outside of fb that he falls flat imo. I do think this is one of the better pods going because it's two guys from different worlds having a longhorn discussion. I also love that DT loves Texas and it's clear he wants us to be great, nice to see from a guy that clearly works hard and had to transfer to find his way.

DT has entered the chat

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, closetojumping said:

I'm glad I clicked on this thread in order to see the newest post being a spelling edit. I guess I'm at least mildly entertained that it's an edit from one of the more typo-riddled, spell-check challenged posters on the entire board.

And the next time you check you get a gif. This day is just turning up Sydney. 

image.gif.7055ad402eae8bb9db0ec0ddc77c8ea1.gif

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I'm glad I clicked on this thread in order to see the newest post being a spelling edit. I guess I'm at least mildly entertained that it's an edit from one of the more typo-riddled, spell-check challenged posters on the entire board.

2 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

And the next time you check you get a gif. This day is just turning up Sydney. 

image.gif.7055ad402eae8bb9db0ec0ddc77c8ea1.gif

So Good Reaction GIF by FaZe Clan

45 minutes ago, Goodman said:

That's because talk of Card at this moment is premature, there is no reason to think Card is ahead of Casey.

Don't get me wrong, I listen to the podcast to hear his thoughts.  I think he just gets overly pessimistic and dismissive at times.  And Will, if you are reading this... I tend to agree with Darius 90% of the time when you guys debate.  

I don't think Card is ahead of Casey.  The opposite actually.  But I do think Card gives us a better chance for a prolific passing attack once he gets rid of his happy feet.  Darius's entire premise was that we saw Casey do it on the field and that's what matters.  That is obviously true.  I would like to point to Darius that Jerrod Heard holds the single game yards record and we thought he was the 2nd coming of Vince after that game.  He turned out to be a terrible QB.  I don't think you anoint Casey as the starter because of one half against a terrible Colorado team.  I do think with that performance, that he has earned the right and benefit of doubt of starting as QB1.  Lets them battle it out this summer and fall.   If Sark think he's the best option, I'll be as happy as anyone.  

Anyways, it won't matter because Arch Manning is going to win the job the minute he steps on campus ;)

22 hours ago, victory88 said:

Don't get me wrong, I listen to the podcast to hear his thoughts.  I think he just gets overly pessimistic and dismissive at times.  And Will, if you are reading this... I tend to agree with Darius 90% of the time when you guys debate.  

I don't think Card is ahead of Casey.  The opposite actually.  But I do think Card gives us a better chance for a prolific passing attack once he gets rid of his happy feet.  Darius's entire premise was that we saw Casey do it on the field and that's what matters.  That is obviously true.  I would like to point to Darius that Jerrod Heard holds the single game yards record and we thought he was the 2nd coming of Vince after that game.  He turned out to be a terrible QB.  I don't think you anoint Casey as the starter because of one half against a terrible Colorado team.  I do think with that performance, that he has earned the right and benefit of doubt of starting as QB1.  Lets them battle it out this summer and fall.   If Sark think he's the best option, I'll be as happy as anyone.  

Anyways, it won't matter because Arch Manning is going to win the job the minute he steps on campus ;)

That was a nice week where I thought we had a great qb again.

Wells on June visitors

Spoiler

June 12th: (this day is designated for Junior Day, 2023s)
QB Arch Manning, Isidore Newman (New Orleans): Best QB in the nation.
RB Rueben Owens, El Campo (TEXAS): Best RB in the state.
WR Ashton Cozart, Richland Hills
WR Johntay Cook, Desoto: Best WR in the state, Part I.
WR Jalen Hale, Longview: Best WR in the state, Part II.
OL Harris Sewell, Odessa Permian: Best OL in the state.
DE Avion Carter, Amarillo Tascosa
DE Ashton Porter, Cy-Ranch
DE Dylan Spencer, Katy Taylor
DE Jordan Renaud, Lewisville: Best DL in the state.
DE David Hicks Jr, Katy Morton Ranch: Might also be the best DL in the state.
DB Jayvon Thomas, South Oak Cliff
DB Dalton Brooks, Shiner
DB Javien Toviano, Arlington Martin: Best corner in the state.

Roach

Spoiler

— The next name to keep an eye on at Memorial is offensive lineman Cayden Bowie.  Bowie just picked up his first offer from Central Florida and said a few Texas coaches followed him recently.  Bowie projects to be an interior prospect at the next level, but he could be one to watch in the 2023 class.

On 4/27/2021 at 11:16 AM, victory88 said:

This is why it's hard to take him seriously on some of these matters.

1 hour ago, Run Run Run Punt said:

Is Darius making this a race thing? 

1 hour ago, RGBIII said:

You Think Wow GIF by Bounce

I guess this is where I show my naïveté, but it seems like Texas has had plenty of black QBs start at Texas in the last 25+ years, and they’ve all been well received and often celebrated. What’s the legitimate race angle? I’ve read Terrell enough to know that, even when I disagree with his evaluation, he has shit together. This seems absurd and the fucking premise should be rejected out of hand by anyone hearing or reading such nonsense. 

• Hook 'Em 2

42 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I guess this is where I show my naïveté, but it seems like Texas has had plenty of black QBs start at Texas in the last 25+ years, and they’ve all been well received and often celebrated. What’s the legitimate race angle? I’ve read Terrell enough to know that, even when I disagree with his evaluation, he has shit together. This seems absurd and the fucking premise should be rejected out of hand by anyone hearing or reading such nonsense. 

Then what is he insinuating?

I agree that Texas has had plenty of black QBs and most, if not all, have been well received and celebrated.  But this is 2021 when everything revolves around "racism" so... I think it is an honest observation. 

47 minutes ago, Run Run Run Punt said:

I agree that Texas has had plenty of black QBs and most, if not all, have been well received and celebrated.  But this is 2021 when everything revolves around "racism" so... I think it is an honest observation. 

I think a more honest observation is that you're talking about a coaching staff led by a HC whose wife is black. So is he bending to some type of subconscious racism he doesn't even know about, because he would have already named the white QB starter had it been him with the post-Bowl hype? Or is it being insinuated that there is pressure from a higher source to start the white QB?

Edited by UncleBuck

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

Its been his tone on the podcast as well, it seems really really strange but he hasn't really elaborated on it just insinuations like this. I believe he commented on the JQJ situation in a similar manner, no idea why just strange

• Hook 'Em 2

54 minutes ago, Run Run Run Punt said:

I read it as “Card has looked better to everybody involved, and the only thing making this a competition is that Casey is an upperclassman with a pretty damn good performance on tape.  If Hudson had the Alamo Bowl performance, that plus spring performance would render a competition irrelevant and he’d already be named starter.”

I may have read it wrong, though.  I’m just some asshole on Surly.

If Darius had directed that solely at the fanbase then I would agree to an extent, people were already ready to anoint Card based on practice reports from the $9.95ers. Had he had the performance Casey had in the Alamo game in addition to that, I'd wager most of the fanbase would be wondering why Sark is even bothering with a QB competition or considering it a farce to keep Casey on the roster. But, the fanbase isn't calling the shots here, Sark is and I am not sure any coach would have just anointed Card the starter based on a half of football. 

I think he was insinuating that the best players do not always play at Texas and there are political factors at work.  I don't think he was pushing race as that factor, but that Card is from Lake Travis and makes for a better story.  

I don't necessarily believe it, but there have been people saying that Casey Thompson was better than Sam and never had a chance to win the job due to Sam's story.  I think Marcus Washington's dad made reference to players not being from Texas not being given the same opportunities as those from Texas.  Even Jeffrey McCulloch talked on the podcast about at other schools the best players were playing, but they weren't necessarily at Texas.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2