Texas Recruiting Notes 2023: Strippers, Monkeys, and 5-Stars

Machinator

1 minute ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Yes, that's exactly it. That's not Matthew Boling, idiot!

I'm aware that's not Matthew Boling, who graduated HS years ago. My point was that it's not like a white athlete excelling at track and field is that rare...there literally was one here in Texas not that long ago, crushing everything he touched. But your first thought was to say "HOLY SHIT A WHITE GUY ON THE TRACK PODIUM!"

But I'm the idiot. I'm starting to think your views on race are similar to your views on women. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

Just now, SydneyCarton said:

I'm aware that's not Matthew Boling, who graduated HS years ago. My point was that it's not like a white athlete excelling at track and field is that rare...there literally was one here in Texas not that long ago, crushing everything he touched. But your first thought was to say "HOLY SHIT A WHITE GUY ON THE TRACK PODIUM!"

But I'm the idiot. I'm starting to think your views on race are similar to your views on women. 

Of all the things you get upset about, you've chosen very poorly lately in that department. Hit the showers, come back tomorrow refreshed.

1 minute ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Of all the things you get upset about, you've chosen very poorly lately in that department. Hit the showers, come back tomorrow refreshed.

I'm sorry, do I seem upset? Because that is certainly not the case. It's more just kind of a shocked surprise, sort of like when why 3 year old does something really stupid like try to hide his vegetables under his placemat when you'd think he'd know better. But yes, you should continue criticizing others on the content of their posts. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 1

5 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

I'm sorry, do I seem upset? Because that is certainly not the case. It's more just kind of a shocked surprise, sort of like when why 3 year old does something really stupid like try to hide his vegetables under his placemat when you'd think he'd know better. But yes, you should continue criticizing others on the content of their posts. 

Just trying to follow in your lead, my apologies. 

Nick Harris on Owens

Spoiler

Rueben Owens II was active today as he competed in the 4x200 relay and the long jump competition where he took home third place in 4A. Following up on Mike's report last week, Owens will be taking an unofficial visit to Alabama in June as the Crimson Tide have made him one of their biggest priorities in 2023. He will start his visit tour with a visit to Texas A&M on June 4-6 and a midweek trip to Tuscaloosa on June 8 before going to Austin for the Texas junior weekend on June 11-13. As of now, I don't see Owens making a move. Will he take his visits and see what he is interested in? Absolutely, but him and his family have embraced the role of being a Texas commit as he has continuously been helping recruit for the Longhorns since committing. He also wants to be at a spot where he knows he can touch the field early on, and he sees Texas as being that spot right now. Visits could shake things up, but my concern level is low at this point.

• Hook 'Em 1

Wells

Spoiler

DB Peyton Bowen, Denton Guyer (2023):

The 6-foot-1, 185-pound defensive back was always an offer. The immense talent was apparent. Getting offered by Texas was even better.

“It was exciting for me because coach got straight to the point right when he picked up the phone," said Bowen. "He immediately said you got an offer from UT.”

The Horns staff sees what so many have seen or are currently learning about the four-star safety.

“(Texas) talked about how they liked that I fly to the ball,” Bowen said. “And I can go down and play man at any time.”

After being named district 5-6A Co-Defensive Newcomer of the Year as a sophomore, Bowen hopes to take some unofficial visits this summer. Austin, Texas is certainly a spot he'll see.

He holds 18 offers including OU, LSU, TCU, Florida State, and Colorado. He'll likely be a national recruit when it's all said and done.

IT on Walker Lyons

Spoiler

TE Walker Lyons, Folsom (CA) - 2023: At almost 6-foot-5, 230 pounds, the west coast tight end is beginning to enjoy the recruiting process.

With 18 offers in hand, including OU, Miami, USC, Florida State, Lyons really liked the Longhorns verbal invitation.

He loves the history of the Texas Football program and really likes the new UT staff.

Washington, UCLA, BYU, and USC are recruiting him the hardest to date, as his profile continues to grow.

He started on varsity as a freshman in basketball, but has since given up the sport. Football feeds his hunger.

He’s eager to see a few places this summer, unofficially. And Texas got in early on the budding tight end.

3 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

An employee of LSU made an unsolicited edit for an uncommitted prospect upon reading some words from an employee of Vanderbilt.

Does Fawcett work for LSU? Wiltfong works at Vanderbilt? All of this would be news to me.

I am surprised by the SMU visit for him. It shows the respect the Manning's have for Riley and Dykes

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Ravishing Rick said:

No Oklahoma.  Probably doesn't think Riley hangs around that long.  Either that or there's a minimum tooth count required in the state Arch plans to live in.

Not exactly a culture fit. Ohio State's hanging around as the one outlier in that regard and at least Columbus is a big city.

6 minutes ago, Ravishing Rick said:

No Oklahoma.  Probably doesn't think Riley hangs around that long.  Either that or there's a minimum tooth count required in the state Arch plans to live in.

Also because OU is prioritizing Malachi Nelson as their 2023 QB take.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

No visit to lsu or. Ole miss?

The article mentions that he's already visited both. There are a bunch of schools mentioned that Arch is apparently hoping to see before fall practice starts up, and then he still might visit a couple of schools for games during the season 

• Hook 'Em 1

6 hours ago, Machinator said:

IT on Walker Lyons

Reveal hidden contents

TE Walker Lyons, Folsom (CA) - 2023: At almost 6-foot-5, 230 pounds, the west coast tight end is beginning to enjoy the recruiting process.

With 18 offers in hand, including OU, Miami, USC, Florida State, Lyons really liked the Longhorns verbal invitation.

He loves the history of the Texas Football program and really likes the new UT staff.

Washington, UCLA, BYU, and USC are recruiting him the hardest to date, as his profile continues to grow.

He started on varsity as a freshman in basketball, but has since given up the sport. Football feeds his hunger.

He’s eager to see a few places this summer, unofficially. And Texas got in early on the budding tight end.

More:

Spoiler

TE Walker Lyons, Folsom (CA) (2023):

Approaching 6-foot-5, 230, Lyons is a guy that tight end coach Jeff Banks identified early and has the attention of the UT staff.

OU, Miami, USC, Florida State and Texas have offered, and he has a few standing out from his 18 verbal invitations.

“I’m hearing from a ton of schools,' said Lyons. "USC, Washington, UCLA, and BYU coaches and programs are sticking out.”

Texas has notoriety which has Lyons attention. And Sark and Banks on it.

“The history and the coaching staff," Lyons said about what he likes with the Longhorns. "The Austin area too. Coach Sarkisian and coach Banks are primary contacts."

He was playing hoops until last year. That versatility usually translates on the field.

“I played varsity as a freshman," Lyons said. "Until we were unable to play this year with California sports.”

What is he looking for, ultimately, at his future destination?

“Good coaches and good people,” Lyons said. While Texas and Lyons have each other's attention, this is a promising start to the relationship.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, MoJames said:

I'm so out of touch with twitter. Had to look u AGTG. Was wondering why he would but up an Agg tag or something. Then I was like oh yeah 'All Gas T....' nevermind. Took a bit of intertron work but I figured it out.

Its alright man, we’ll get there together 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, MoJames said:

I'm so out of touch with twitter. Had to look u AGTG. Was wondering why he would but up an Agg tag or something. Then I was like oh yeah 'All Gas T....' nevermind. Took a bit of intertron work but I figured it out.

All grits take gravy

Edited by Michael Knight

Mike at Night: Recruiting notes to start the week

Spoiler

— Denton Guyer DB Ryan Yaites was offered last week by the Longhorns. In talking to the 2023 prospect today, it seems that Texas was a big offer for him. Yaites is currently sitting out the spring as he recovers from a torn meniscus, but the long, athletic defensive back can run and shows great ball skills. He said he will likely make a visit to Texas over the summer, and schools like TCU and Notre Dame are also in the picture for him. I sense that Texas will remain a big player for a while.

— 2023 Denton Guyer safety Peyton Bowen said that the Texas offer piqued his interest as well, but he's going to be a tough battle. Oklahoma and Notre Dame already made an impression and TCU is also a big time player early on. There's still quite a bit of time left in this recruitment, and Bowen is going to be one of the most wanted prospects in the state by the time he signs.

On 5/8/2021 at 7:59 AM, Machinator said:

Wells

Hide contents

DB Peyton Bowen, Denton Guyer (2023):

The 6-foot-1, 185-pound defensive back was always an offer. The immense talent was apparent. Getting offered by Texas was even better.

“It was exciting for me because coach got straight to the point right when he picked up the phone," said Bowen. "He immediately said you got an offer from UT.”

The Horns staff sees what so many have seen or are currently learning about the four-star safety.

“(Texas) talked about how they liked that I fly to the ball,” Bowen said. “And I can go down and play man at any time.”

After being named district 5-6A Co-Defensive Newcomer of the Year as a sophomore, Bowen hopes to take some unofficial visits this summer. Austin, Texas is certainly a spot he'll see.

He holds 18 offers including OU, LSU, TCU, Florida State, and Colorado. He'll likely be a national recruit when it's all said and done.

What is the difference between a national recruit and a mere interstate TX-OK-LA-FL-CO recruit?  Is it overall rank?  Number of offers?

9 hours ago, Machinator said:

Mike at Night: Recruiting notes to start the week

Hide contents

— Denton Guyer DB Ryan Yaites was offered last week by the Longhorns. In talking to the 2023 prospect today, it seems that Texas was a big offer for him. Yaites is currently sitting out the spring as he recovers from a torn meniscus, but the long, athletic defensive back can run and shows great ball skills. He said he will likely make a visit to Texas over the summer, and schools like TCU and Notre Dame are also in the picture for him. I sense that Texas will remain a big player for a while.

— 2023 Denton Guyer safety Peyton Bowen said that the Texas offer piqued his interest as well, but he's going to be a tough battle. Oklahoma and Notre Dame already made an impression and TCU is also a big time player early on. There's still quite a bit of time left in this recruitment, and Bowen is going to be one of the most wanted prospects in the state by the time he signs.

Holy shit, Mike! Never thought I'd see the day...

19 hours ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

So let me get this right. An employee of LSU made an unsolicited edit for an uncommitted prospect upon reading some words from an employee of Vanderbilt. Am I reading this correctly?

Hayes Fawcett is an LSU employee? that makes this all seem HIGHLY questionable...

Via Gerry, the current visitor list for June 12

Spoiler

June 12th: (this day is designated for Junior Day, 2023s)
QB Arch Manning, Isidore Newman (LA)
RB Rueben Owens, El Campo #AllGasNoBrakes
WR Ashton Cozart, Richland Hills
WR Johntay Cook, Desoto
WR Jalen Hale, Longview
OL Harris Sewell, Odessa Permian
DE Avion Carter, Amarillo Tascosa
DE Ashton Porter, Cy-Ranch
DE Dylan Spencer, Katy Taylor
DE Jordan Renaud, Lewisville:
DE David Hicks Jr, Katy Morton Ranch:
LB Anthony Hill, Denton Ryan
DB Jayvon Thomas, South Oak Cliff
DB Dalton Brooks, Shiner
DB Javien Toviano, Arlington Martin

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Drool 1

15 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Via Gerry, the current visitor list for June 12

Hide contents

June 12th: (this day is designated for Junior Day, 2023s)
QB Arch Manning, Isidore Newman (LA)
RB Rueben Owens, El Campo #AllGasNoBrakes
WR Ashton Cozart, Richland Hills
WR Johntay Cook, Desoto
WR Jalen Hale, Longview
OL Harris Sewell, Odessa Permian
DE Avion Carter, Amarillo Tascosa
DE Ashton Porter, Cy-Ranch
DE Dylan Spencer, Katy Taylor
DE Jordan Renaud, Lewisville:
DE David Hicks Jr, Katy Morton Ranch:
LB Anthony Hill, Denton Ryan
DB Jayvon Thomas, South Oak Cliff
DB Dalton Brooks, Shiner
DB Javien Toviano, Arlington Martin

Goddamn... i need a cigarette after reading that list

(CJ Vogel) 2023 Out of State 5-Star DE Has Sights Set on June Visit

Spoiler

I traded messages yesterday with recent Texas offer 2023 Jayden Wayne of Tacoma, Washington.

Wayne told me he had been in communication with the old staff and was rather familiar with Texas. And while the new staff just offered earlier this week, there didn’t appear to be too much of a drop off in interest.

In fact, Wayne told me he hopes to visit Austin sometime this June. The weekend of June 25-27 is the one Wayne believes to be the target on the calendar for Wayne, though he is waiting to confirm 100%.

Being a native of Washington, Wayne told me he is more than familiar with defensive coordinator Pete Kwiatkowski and has been in contact with him dating back to his time with the Huskies.

Wells

Spoiler

OL Payton Kirkland, Dr. Phillips (Orlando, FL) (2023):

At 6-foot-5, 330 pounds, and holding 42 offers, everything is bigger with the four-star from Florida.

The starting left tackle for Dr. Phillips HS is hearing the most from Ohio State and Florida State. He also has received offers from LSU, Oregon, Tennessee, and Florida.

Texas called yesterday to extend an offer and build a relationship with the massive offensive tackle.

"I really like the new Texas staff," said Kirkland. "They’ve done a lot of big things recently. I'm looking for a program that can potentially set me up for the next 40 years of my life rather than four years."

Kirkland doesn't have any leaders right now, and is really just anxious to start taking trips this summer.

"I don't think there are any standouts just yet," said Kirkland. "I’ll be visiting multiple programs like Florida, Miami, Ohio State, and LSU in June."

Any chance Texas gets a visit? Nothing is planned yet, but Kirkland is open to the possibility.
Inside Texas Web Editor

• Hook 'Em 1