Texas Recruiting Notes 2023: Strippers, Monkeys, and 5-Stars

Machinator

I know nobody wants to hear it, but Johntay Cook loves Ohio St and looks up to Garrett Wilson, but they've never actually spoken. His dad really likes (and seems to favor)Texas at this point though. He grew up liking OU because of their electric offense. I don't think he's close to favoring any school at this point so there's no reason to feel good or bad rn.

• Hook 'Em 1

Wells

Spoiler

DB Ryan Yaites, Denton Guyer (2023): The 6-foot-1, 175-pound four-star is becoming popular. Texas and LSU just offered, along with Michigan State, Notre Dame, and Colorado.

While he’s got the frame and skills for corner, and I ultimately think that’s where he’ll play, most schools view him as a future safety. Notre Dame loves him on the island, btw.

The message from Texas was simple; Come be a part of something special. He’s going to see a few campuses this summer, and is looking at June 12th for an Austin trip.

Yaites is unavailable this spring after a knee injury during 7v7 in February.

S Peyton Bowen, Denton Guyer (2023): We covered the newest Texas offer recently in JTEN, but I got a chance to see him up close this evening.

He has the look of a ball-hawking safety, and his athleticism and physicality really stand out.

At 6-foot-1, 185, he holds 18 offers and there will be more. Bowen really likes the new staff at Texas, especially Terry Joseph and Blake Gideon, and will look at some unofficial trips this summer.

Roach

Spoiler

— I was able to see 2023 Garland Naaman Forest OL/DL Markis Deal today. Texas offered him a few weeks ago, and it’s easy to see why. When I first saw Deal he was a big kid still growing into his frame and needing to shed some bad weight. Now, he’s the perfect model for what an offensive tackle should look like. Deal plays on both sides of the ball, but Texas is recruiting him as an offensive lineman. His frame and athleticism will make him an important recruit at the next level, so it makes sense why Kyle Flood went in so early for him.

— Garland Lakeview Centennial is home to four-star 2023 DE Trey Wilson. One of the top pass rushers in the DFW area last year, Wilson has some length and explosion off the edge. Pete Kwiatkowski recently followed him on social media and is in the process of evaluating him. It wouldn’t surprise me to see him pick up some more attention over the next few months as schools work to find pass rushers that can make an impact. If Texas offers, they would instantly be high on his list.

Here's an interesting listen into what the Fong is hearing in the Manning pursuit. I listened in the car so wasn't able to get notes but something I didn't know was that his younger brother is a center. Not sure what level he is as a prospect but would be cool to have a Manning to Manning exchange every play. 

https://247sports.com/podcast/247sports-football-recruiting-podcast-49/

Mike at night

Spoiler

— No school is recruiting Johntay Cook harder than the Longhorns right now. The four-star 2023 wide receiver said that he's definitely feeling the love from Texas along with his parents. DeSoto's top playmaker hears from the Longhorns on a weekly basis and is speaking with multiple members of the staff. Andre Coleman, Brandon Harris and Chris Gilbert have all been involved hitting on different parts of the recruitment. Coleman talks wide receiver development while Harris and Gilbert are lending their hands to help the relationship. Harris relates well with younger kids while Gilbert and Cook's father are close friends having grown up together. Steve Sarkisian is also involved as he speaks with either Cook or his parents frequently.

— Cook is looking forward to his visit weekend to Austin on June 13. He was last on campus for the spring game and is looking forward to returning to spend some time with the coaches and some of the other recruits in his class. Cook has been talking with several other top 2023 players like Rueben Owens, Arch Manning and Malik Muhammad. Cook said he's been getting to know Manning more and is looking forward to meeting up with him in Austin. The Longhorns will try to establish some presence with the 2023 class on that weekend.

— The race for Cook is certainly heating up with Oklahoma, LSU, Alabama and now Ohio State officially in the mix for his services. Texas is positioned incredibly well at the moment, but this race has a long way to go at the moment. In fact, this recruitment hasn't even started yet. Cook said openly that September 1, the day college coaches can officially reach out directly, will be the real start of his recruitment. While visits will play a role, Cook said seeing which schools are really invested in him after that date will be telling for him as he sorts through his options. Texas is on the right track and needs to continue to keep pushing.

• Hook 'Em 4

2 hours ago, Getafix said:

Mike at night

Reveal hidden contents

— No school is recruiting Johntay Cook harder than the Longhorns right now. The four-star 2023 wide receiver said that he's definitely feeling the love from Texas along with his parents. DeSoto's top playmaker hears from the Longhorns on a weekly basis and is speaking with multiple members of the staff. Andre Coleman, Brandon Harris and Chris Gilbert have all been involved hitting on different parts of the recruitment. Coleman talks wide receiver development while Harris and Gilbert are lending their hands to help the relationship. Harris relates well with younger kids while Gilbert and Cook's father are close friends having grown up together. Steve Sarkisian is also involved as he speaks with either Cook or his parents frequently.

— Cook is looking forward to his visit weekend to Austin on June 13. He was last on campus for the spring game and is looking forward to returning to spend some time with the coaches and some of the other recruits in his class. Cook has been talking with several other top 2023 players like Rueben Owens, Arch Manning and Malik Muhammad. Cook said he's been getting to know Manning more and is looking forward to meeting up with him in Austin. The Longhorns will try to establish some presence with the 2023 class on that weekend.

— The race for Cook is certainly heating up with Oklahoma, LSU, Alabama and now Ohio State officially in the mix for his services. Texas is positioned incredibly well at the moment, but this race has a long way to go at the moment. In fact, this recruitment hasn't even started yet. Cook said openly that September 1, the day college coaches can officially reach out directly, will be the real start of his recruitment. While visits will play a role, Cook said seeing which schools are really invested in him after that date will be telling for him as he sorts through his options. Texas is on the right track and needs to continue to keep pushing.

He sure sounds like a WR.

IT

Spoiler

IT will not be surprised if Texas and others begin recruiting 2023 safety Jayven Anderson soon. The 6-foot-1, 200-pounder displayed the desired speed, feel, and physicality in a full pad practice IT attended. If there was a spring evaluation period, Anderson would receive multiple offers this month. Anderson, who runs 4.6, is a strong candidate to be an athletic and physical OLB long term with ball skills.

Staying in the 2023 class, IT does not believe Texas will seriously recruit cornerback Jacoby Davis. IT sees Davis as a more of a group of five prospect long term. He possesses very good quickness and speed, but his frame is lacking height, arm length and growth potential.

• Hook 'Em 1

I gotta say, the increase in video of prospects during 7v7 and training workouts is really awesome. I’m no scout or anything, but for so many years you just had to rely on 995 descriptions and tid bits. It’s so cool to see these guys go after it. 

#imOld  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

IT

Spoiler

TE Luke Hasz, Bixby (Bixby, OK) - 2023: When IT spotted the 6-foot-3, 220 pound junior target at a 7v7 tournament two months ago, the upside was readily apparent.

Hasz is one of the top-rated tight ends in the nation for 2023, and holds 20 offers including OU, LSU, and Ohio State. Texas jumped in the boat recently and began a solid courtship of the four-star.

Hasz is friendly with the UT staff, and wants to see a few places this summer, including Austin if possible. Also a stud on the hardwood, he played both ways at WR and EDGE helping Bixby to the Oklahoma 6A-II state title last winter.

*Texas is looking nationally at the position so expect many more names to arise.

Wells

Spoiler

DB Ryan Yaites, Denton Guyer (2023):

At 6-foot-1, 180 pounds, it’s easy to see the allure of this metroplex cornerback/safety prospect.

Texas, LSU, Oklahoma State, Arizona, and others are among his 12 offers, and there’ll likely be more.

“To have all the offers I have already, it's truly a blessing,” said Yaites. "I've got Texas, USC..so many big-time offers from big-time schools, I'm just taking it one day at a time."

I see a cornerback in college, and he'll play that for Guyer over the next two seasons. But most colleges see a safety first, which is often backwards when evaluating defensive backs.

“Most schools see me as a safety,” Yaites said. "Some schools, like Notre Dame, want me at corner. I want to play corner, but I'll play wherever the school I attend believes I should play."

Yaites suffered a knee injury in February during 7v7 and won’t be 100% until fall camp. That's after his 24.14 200 as a sophomore. But he's still working and getting stronger. He wants to visit Texas, TCU, and a handful of other programs this summer.

"My goal this year is to prove why I've been blessed with these offers," said Yaites. "UT's message was after they watched my tape, they see a great player who can get in-and-out of his breaks. They just opened up and wanted to welcome me to their family."

This one has a ways to go, but UT getting in relatively early here certainly helps and Yaites seems open to most schools at this time. I know LSU and Notre Dame are also schools of he'd like to visit as well. He's got plenty of time.

Mike at Night: Odds and ends to start the week

Spoiler

—I spoke with 2023 Del Valle wide receiver Braylon James earlier today. The local prospect has been picking up a ton of offers but doesn’t yet hold one from Texas. That could change this summer. James has been in contact with Andre Coleman and Jeff Banks, and they want to get him on campus to see him in person. If everything checks out, he should pick up an offer. James is a physical prospect with size on the outside who can win the ball but also push defenses deep.

—I mentioned today in our recruiting chat that I’ve been hearing some encouraging things when it comes to Texas and 2023 five-star Denton Ryan defender Anthony Hill. Texas wasn’t anywhere close to being in the picture under the previous coaching staff, but I can’t say enough about the job they’ve done turning things around and putting themselves into position to be a major factor in that recruitment. From talking to folks at Ryan, Steve Sarkisian and Jeff Banks have been doing the heavy lifting in that recruitment building the relationship. The Longhorns also have some favorable voices in their corner in the form of former Texas fullback Alex De La Torre who coaches at Ryan and is close to Hill. While there will still be a long way to go, the Longhorns have gone from out of the picture to center stage.