Texas Recruiting Notes 2023: Strippers, Monkeys, and 5-Stars

Machinator

5 minutes ago, Thiefery said:

LOL Fong wrote a wet dream of words for the Clemson visit..  very ho hum when it came to yesterday..  CALCULATOR

Just now, Getafix said:

image.thumb.png.c54e60eefcfe9bdf75165ad0a73bafc9.png

Now he is adding all the goods in the comments. Classic move to downplay the story in the article and back track later after everyone has been convinced it was no big deal

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, Sir Ulrich said:

Now he is adding all the goods in the comments. Classic move to downplay the story in the article and back track later after everyone has been convinced it was no big deal

yep..  just waiting for him to add that there's interest in the Mannings and Jimbo Fisher who is on a hot streak with the recruit world buzzing with confidence....blah blah blah

1 hour ago, Getafix said:

Intel from Arch Manning's Texas swing

Steve Wiltfong

Hide contents

Intel from Arch Manning's Texas swing

Steve Wiltfong

The Top247’s No. 1 quarterback in the 2023 class, Arch Manning had some fun in the Lone Star State this weekend, visiting SMU and Texas before returning home Sunday to New Orleans home.

The Isidore Newman five-star took in the Mustangs' campus on Thursday, getting an opportunity to talk football with head coach Sonny Dykes and offensive coordinator Garrett Riley. Per sources close to the Mannings, things that stood out to the Arch were small student body, the cool architecture on campus and being in a neat area in Dallas. The 6-foot-4, 200-pound Manning who also sees the prolific offense including talented receivers year in and year out that the Mustangs take the field with on Saturdays. The Manning family really hit it off with Dykes and Riley and had a good time visiting with them.

Friday afternoon, the Mannings trekked to Austin to see the Longhorns. Manning has been Zooming with head coach Steve Sarkisian and QBs coach AJ Milwee for so long it was nice to finally meet them in person. Those three have a good chemistry and have really been digging into Xs and Os during their conversations.

If you’re on the Texas campus right now, you can’t miss all the construction. The Manning family got a hard-hat tour of the new facilities, as there is a lot of excitement about the new weight room and locker room going in. The timing of that and a new indoor facility next make for a thrilling new chapter under this fresh coaching staff. Prospects in the 2022 and 2023 classes will help break in all the new bells and whistles.

Videos and pictures were all over the internet this weekend of Manning participating in camp. That’s one of the things he looks forward to the most on these visits, throwing inside the stadium, bonding with the other prospects in attendance. It’s well documented Manning has already buddied up with fellow five-star in Longhorns running back commit Rueben Owens. It sounds like he had a lot of fun with his peers.

There was a lot of energy at Texas this weekend with many of program legends on campus from Earl Campbell to Vince Young to Colt McCoy to Brian Orakpo to Michael Huff to Jamaal Charles. Matthew McConaughey was floating around. For the Manning family, it was obviously cool to see Campbell, who played with Archie Manning for a couple years with the Oilers. Look up when Campbell played with Archie Manning and you see he’s known Arch’s father Cooper for most of Cooper’s life.

Similar to the Clemson visit, Manning got to chat with players on the Texas team and ask them how they’re liking the transition under this new staff. Proximity and the similarities between Austin and New Orleans also make Texas an attractive option.

These were just the second and third college visits for Manning who looks forward to getting out and seeing more schools. He’ll go to Alabama this week and Georgia at the end of the month. Manning has mentioned in the past he looks forward to finding some weekends in the fall to check out games in-person.

What a crock. There's not one thing in here that he couldn't glean from social media or mere speculation. 

50 minutes ago, JesusSweatDuck said:

When did Fong become so anti Texas. I don't remember him always being that way

I think the assumption is that he just doesn't have any sources at Texas to give him information to write, or to try to flatter.

Roach notes from the weekend will cross post on '22 as well

Spoiler

The Stampede: Unpacking everything that happened over the weekend
VIP ByMIKE ROACH 

Texas was at the center of the recruiting world over the weekend as the Longhorns hosted a group of official visitors and a massive group of elite 2023 unofficial visitors.

The buzz was palpable on campus as some of the best in the class of 2023 got their first taste of what Texas was all about under Steve Sarkisian. The Longhorns also hosted an important group of official visitors, and they already came away with a commitment on the weekend from Anthony Jones.

The Longhorns made a statement on the trip according to many of the players and parents we spoke to and continued their trend from last week of being able to put on a strong visit.

So, how did the weekend go and what were the highlights? In this week’s edition of The Stampede, Horns247’s weekly gathering of recruiting intel, we recap the weekend that was in Austin and what might come out of it for the Longhorns.

THE VIBE IS DIFFERENT
Elite 2023 Arlington Martin cornerback Javien Toviano said the vibe was different at Texas than anywhere else he visited. He wasn’t alone in that sentiment. In talking to many of the recruits and parents or coaches on campus, they all said they could feel the excitement about what this staff could do.

A big reason for that excitement is head coach Steve Sarkisian. It’s said that programs usually take on the personality of their head coach, and Sark’s calm demeanor permeates through everything. While Tom Herman’s program was seen as arrogant at times, one coach I spoke with who’s visited Texas with his athletes on a few different occasions said that Sarkisian’s program is more of cool confidence.

(Photo: Mike Roach, 247Sports)
Another reason for the new vibe is the entire coaching staff. I’ve written about this in the past, but I’ve heard it on a few different occasions that the background and resume of the assistant coaches on staff instills confidence in people. Texas seemed to pull all the right levers today, and having former legends like Vince Young, Colt McCoy, Derrick Johnson, Earl Campbell and many others on campus was a big hit.

It’s not that players haven’t been welcome around the program before, but a show of star power and unity like that stands out to those who are visiting. Having legends who have seen this program at its greatest heights on campus to show support to the head coach resonates with families. Matthew McConaughey showing up didn’t hurt either.

The current players also helped quite a bit. I was told that players were proactively approaching recruits to share with them their experiences and speaking positively about the coaching staff and program. That hasn’t always been the case over the last few years. At one point, the day’s agenda went way off schedule. I was told that was because everyone on the trip was having such a good time talking with one another that the coaches didn’t want to break it up to go to the pool.

Sure, you can chalk this up to the honeymoon phase of a new staff and it could all go out the window with a poor year, but right now the mood around the program is as good as it has been in the last few years.

ALL ABOUT ARCH

The much-anticipated visit of Arch Manning is now in the books, and it sounds like it went extremely well from the Texas side. In speaking to a source on the Manning side, I was told that the entire family really loved the trip. This source said the staff has been “first-class” in the way they’ve handled the recruitment. This source went on to say the staff left a great impression.

This weekend was also big for the Manning family. His father Cooper looked at ease with one leg up on the golf cart as he was whisked around campus for a tour. I was told the family really liked the city and the overall fit when it comes to the city of Austin, brand recognition, education and the offensive system of Steve Sarkisian. All-in-all I was told Texas has handled this recruitment in an extremely professional and thorough way, and that left a big impression on the family.

It also helped to be surrounded by so many other big-name players. Quarterbacks want weapons, and Rueben Owens has been a driving force for Texas. Johntay Cook has also emerged as a guy who’s been able to build a bond with Manning over the last few months. Manning was also able to spend time with current and former players and also take in an exciting baseball game. Manning took the opportunity to really pick the brain of those he was with, and I was told that he was very calculated in the questions he asked.

One source I spoke with said that Texas had done enough early get him interested, but the trip to Austin represented the next step in his recruitment as he could actually start to visualize what life would be like as a Longhorn athlete. It’s still too early to talk leaders in this recruitment, but I think Texas is continuing to establish itself as a major player for Manning.

One thing that stood out after talking to many people who were there was how much the 2022 prospects were paying attention to Manning.  While it's natural for several 2023 prospects to get together and talk often, I was told several of the official visitors spent a lot of time talking to Arch and imagining the possibilities if all of that talent was in one place.

NIL WAS THE KEY THEME OF THE WEEKEND

Once again, recruits were talking up the Texas pitch to benefit from the NIL rulings. While parents are still having a hard time getting their arms around the fact their children might be able to use their talent to earn money, the Texas staff stressed a desire to educate athletes on all aspects of it.

That includes a way to not only use the companies they’ve contracted with to get the most exposure for their individual brand and classes on marketing and money management. This staff has been putting in a lot of work to get a full picture of how they can benefit.

While it’s an important part of the pitch, it wasn’t the only part. The 4Ever Texas program instituted under Tom Herman is still around, and it’s one that resonates with the parents. The program partners with several leaders in the business world and community who come in and speak to the team, help them with internships and plans for life after football. The staff also put together a film about what a day in the life of a Texas football player looks like.

It also sounds like the staff is letting the advantages of the program speak for themselves. I asked several recruits if there was any hard push to commit, and I was told that there wasn’t. One parent told me that it was a bit refreshing not to get the hard sell. A good recruiter knows when to push and when not to, but it seems the staff was happy just laying the groundwork for the future this weekend.

OFFICIAL VISITOR REPORT

Cole Hutson

The Longhorns came into the trip with a lot of juice having hosted Hutson and his family last week for an unofficial trip. I was told the visit went very well and they were impressed with the total package that Austin offers to student-athletes. Texas has been able to make the first impression on Hutson, and now they have to hope that impression holds over time. Oklahoma and Texas A&M will get the next shots at him, and Alabama will get a midweek unofficial trip. I would expect a possible July or August decision as Hutson will be extremely pragmatic in evaluating those schools as he has been all along.

Jacob Sexton

I mentioned in the preview that Texas has the chance to make a move with Sexton, and it sounds like they did this weekend. Sexton and his family both had a great time in Austin, and I’m told Texas emerged from the trip way more confident about its chances with the four-star offensive tackle. Sexton and Hutson also bonded together while on the trip. Sexton has a visit upcoming mid-week to Oklahoma State, and he still will likely take trips to Oklahoma and Texas A&M at some point. If Texas can hold on there, they can pick up a valuable tackle body in Sexton who is still growing into a massive frame.

Sebastian Cheeks

Cheeks was another out of state guy Texas had the chance to land with a strong visit, and I was told that everything was going well.  Was it enough to overcome the visit he had to North Carolina?  We will see how things settle in the next few days.  Cheeks is scheduled to be in South Bend to see Notre Dame next week and will take a mid-week unofficial visit to Michigan before making his call in the next month.  While the Midwest powers once looked like the biggest threats, I’m told Texas is just worried about holding off North Carolina at this point.  Jeff Choate and Pete Kwiatkowski have poured everything into this one as the Longhorns value Cheeks as one of the top overall players on the defensive board, and they’ve done enough to put themselves in the right position to close.

Anthony Jones

The trip obviously went very well for Jones who committed on Saturday night. As I said earlier in the weekend, Jones had actually been committed to Texas for a while in advance of the visit, and Pete Kwiatkowski did a masterful job convincing him that defense was the best place for his future. Jones’ was visibly having a great time when we saw him on campus Saturday, and he raved about Austin to just about anyone who would listen.

Harold Perkins

Nick will have more on Perkins after talking to some folks in his camp, but it’s safe to say the trip did enough to keep Texas in a race that will undoubtedly be a marathon. The Longhorns have pitched Perkins on playing his own position. From what I was able to pick up, it’s part safety and part linebacker. Sources we’ve talked to feel this race could ultimately come down to Texas, Texas A&M and LSU.

Zac Swanson

Swanson doesn’t talk much, but he came into the trip strongly committed and it seems like he’s leaving the same way. Swanson was ready to commit to Texas sight unseen in the spring but was encouraged to come to Austin for the spring game to check it out for himself. Not one for the flashy parts of the recruiting process, Swanson will likely stay in the shadows after taking this trip.

(Photo: Brian Perroni, 247Sports)

Kam Dewberry

Though Dewberry wasn’t an official visitor, the visit served as an important one for him. Dewberry spent a lot of time with Texas linebacker Derrick Harris Jr who he’s known since playing youth football. I mentioned in the spring that no school was recruiting Dewberry harder than Texas, and I was told that he definitely felt he was a priority for the Longhorns. The overall presentation was something that hit home with his family as well. I think that Dewberry likes everything about Texas, but he’s a player who will likely want to wait and see what the Horns do on the field. If the Longhorns land Kelvin Banks, it could go a long way to helping with Dewberry.

OTHER NOTES FROM 2023
— Odessa Permian OL Harris Sewell remains wide open in his recruitment. Though there are some positive Texas voices within his family, this is a recruitment that will go from scratch for every school. Texas has been able to do a good job of making an early impression.

— The Longhorns offered 2022 Arlington Seguin ATH Xavion Brice. Brice is currently committed to Kansas as a receiver, but he has huge upside as a defensive back. His teammate Jamel Johnson holds a Texas offer in the 2023 class. Johnson is emerging as one of the elite defensive backs in the state. Both guys had a good experience meeting with the Texas coaches up close, and both will likely be pursued heavily moving forward.

— In our post-visit notes, I mentioned that I liked where Texas sat for DeSoto WR Johntay Cook. There are just a lot of factors playing in the Longhorns’ favor when it comes down to it, and I expect him to be a frequent visitor to Austin over the next few years. Though I think Texas is positioned at the head of the pack, it will be a long fight to land him against some heavyweights. Texas just needs to hang in and show they can utilize a player of his talents on the field this fall.

— Arlington Martin cornerback Javien Toviano was all smiles after his trip. I’ve currently got a 247Sports Crystal Ball in for him to Texas, but I think his timeline likely will extend past where I thought it would. Coming out of the trip, I still feel Texas is in a really great position, and it sounds like the tandem of Jeff Banks and Terry Joseph are doing a good job connecting with him and his family.

—Amarillo Tascosa DL Avion Carter said he enjoyed his time in Austin and loved the versatility the Longhorns want to play with up front. Carter is still very much wide open, and a source I spoke with feels he might want the challenge of the SEC. That said, I think Texas has been able to establish some position early with him.

—It was the first college visit for 2023 Mansfield Timberview offensive tackle Andre Cojoe, and the Longhorns put on an impressive show for him and his family. It’s still way too early for them to ponder a commitment, but Texas is the school currently sitting out in front at this point.

—The Longhorns also offered Kahuka (HI) linebacker Liona Lefau over the weekend. While it’s maybe a bit unbelievable that a kid from Hawaii would come to Austin, I’m told that Texas did a lot to make a big impression over the weekend. Lefau is one of the top linebackers in the class, and he liked his time on campus hanging with Pete Kwiatkowski and Jeff Choate. It’s still early for him, but I wouldn’t be surprised to see the Longhorns become a major player in this one.

• Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, JesusSweatDuck said:

When did Fong become so anti Texas. I don't remember him always being that way

1) I just want you to know that I always read your handle as JesusSweatDick and I'm never going to stop.

2.) Yeah, I don't think he's ever liked Texas, but it's really more that Elko is one of his biggest sources so his news comes with a slant. When Elko moves on, you'll probably see his coverage shift a bit. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Machinator said:

Meh. We could lose to ULaLa, win out and nobody would give  a shit about the L including Arch. The overall season matters more than one or two games. It's especially insignificant for a 2023 recruit.

Edited by Bevo14

37 minutes ago, Bevo14 said:

Meh. We could lose to ULaLa, win out and nobody would give  a shit about the L including Arch. The overall season matters more than one or two games. It's especially insignificant for a 2023 recruit.

it's all about the narrative built during the season. If we lose ULaLa because of not stellar qb play, but then that qb play improves over the season then that would probably be a positive for Arch.

IT Scoop:

QB Arch Manning, Isidore Newman (New Orleans, LA) - 2023:

Post-visit, IT continues to feel Texas checks a lot of boxes (all?) for the five-star with the familiar last name. There is a decent measure of optimism in Austin the staff can pull off what would be one of the biggest recruiting victories in school history.

Sark: Arch’s fondness for Steve Sarkisian was yet again mentioned, or rather, he mentioned his own fondness for Sark to those around him. We’ve heard this countless times in recent months and again over the weekend.

Genuine interest: One of the best tells of interest is if a player asks questions. Arch would ask smart questions of anyone he felt might have the answers — coaches, former players, current players.

Family interest: The overall pitch from the weekend delivered as far as the family is concerned. Given the notoriety of the football family, we sometimes forget mom’s opinion matters too. She was definitely into the visit. We’ll yet again mention Arch’s parents have close friends who are UT alums. They felt quite comfortable in Austin.

Branding: While the substance of football is of great importance, these are capitalists we’re talking about and in the new era of college football, branding is a big positive for UT. You may recall Archie Manning saw to it that Eli ended up in New York City. Austin has the potential to be the NYC of the college football universe.

Austin: The city is a good central hub for business interests in general. The Mannings have a lot of business interests.

Texas has an all-encompassing pitch at its disposal. It has the football substance that matters plus the ability to financially capitalize on that substance.

Does Arch prefer the big environment to that of Clemson, Tuscaloosa, or Athens? We don’t know that at this time, but we feel quite comfortable saying those in his decision tree would have no problem signing off on Austin.

WR Ashton Cozart, Marcus (Flower Mound, TX) - 2023:

The 6-foot-2, sleek pass-catcher noticed all the bright and shiny things that Austin provides.

Competing during camp was his favorite part. He said he won all of his reps, and received rave reviews from the UT staff.

His favorite part:

“Getting to go over film with Coach (Andre) Coleman was another best part," said Cozart. "I had no idea that was coming but I learned a lot from him. Coach Coleman seems to really like what I did and said he really likes what he sees because I can fit the scheme. I can play inside and out. He’s intense and expects a lot. I like that. He said we need to try and be perfect all the time.”

Cozart left thinking really highly of the Texas trip and said it’s certainly given him a lot to think about moving forward in the process.

RB Rueben Owens, El Campo (El Campo, TX) - 2023 (TEXAS):

He’s getting very familiar with Austin, TX.

Back after an Alabama and LSU trip, he hit Austin on Monday for some one-on-one time with the staff. Then he and his father promptly returned on Friday to see his guys, Arch Manning and Johntay Cook.

Owens really enjoyed the competitive side of the camp and bonding with his "future teammates.”

One of the nation's top tailbacks for 2023 wants to enjoy the recruiting process, so don't be surprised when you see him pop up on other campuses across the country.

But at the end of the day: "I'm solid to the Longhorns. That's not changing."

CB Javien Toviano, Martin (Arlington, TX) - 2023:

After seeing Alabama and Oklahoma last week for the first time, it was good to be back in Texas, the 6-foot, 185-pound future five-star told IT.

With teammates Morice Blackwell and Trevell Johnson in his ear, it was essential to get Toviano back in Austin after those trips.

Toviano really loves the vibe and environment in Austin and around campus. He speaks with the UT staff on a regular basis, and we know how fond the coaches are of the dynamic athlete.

Toviano will be back this fall and the Horns just have to stay the course in this pursuit. Smart money is on Texas winning out.

OL Harris Sewell, Permian (Odessa, TX) - 2023:

Making a big impression on the state's top-rated offensive lineman for 2023 was a priority. Mission accomplished.

“It was great, the environment the coaches provided was amazing," said Sewell. “They were just really good people, and I know they know how to win.“

Hanging with Arch was a lot of fun, Sewell tells IT. Blocking for him in the future may have entered his thoughts.

“He was super cool,” Sewell said. "Great guy, great quarterback."

He’ll see Texas A&M and LSU this weekend, and really wants to return to a packed DKR on a Saturday this fall.

Texas did really well here over the weekend. He's a must-get.

WR Carnell Tate, IMG Academy (Bradenton, FL) - 2023:

One of the top players on campus this weekend that nobody paid too much attention to was the out-of-state four-star receiver.

“The Texas trip was everything,” said Tate. “It was more than I expected. The slogan, ‘Everything is bigger in Texas’ really displayed itself.”

He was able to play pitch-and-catch with Arch Manning on Saturday. Consider him impressed.

“Arch is great," said Tate. “He’s definitely one of the best QBs I played with and I have played with many.”

The 6-foot-2, 185-pound four-star from Chicago holds 29 offers from schools across the country, with Michigan, Michigan State, and Florida State holding the upper hand today.

TE Jaden Greathouse, Westlake (Austin, TX) - 2023:

The state champion hit campus on Thursday for a visit and camp. The Texas staff wanted to see the four-star in person, and politely re-offered.

“They were so great," Greathouse said of the UT staff. "I got to spend some time with Coach (AJ) Milwee and talk to Coach Sark a little bit also.”

At 6-foot-2, 206 pounds, the wide receiver/tight end target holds offers from UT, OU, Arkansas, and Baylor.

Greathouse says he'll definitely return for a game this fall.

ATH Kaleb Black, Klein Oak (Conroe, TX) - 2023:

One name with a ton of buzz was the Klein Oak product.

The 5-foot-9, 165-pound prospect turned heads on the field at DKR on Saturday.

“It was really awesome," said Black. "I really enjoyed it. The coaches and everyone were great.”

Black holds four offers, one each from Wisconsin, UH, Kansas, and Tulsa. He was district 15-6A Offensive Newcomer of the Year in 2020, after playing as a freshman at Cy-Creek.

“The coaches really make you feel like you’re at home," Black said. "And they give advice on and off the field. Everyone that I met on campus seemed nice. I really hadn’t seen anything else in Austin but the campus and the campus is beautiful.”

Black will be one to monitor moving forward.

DB Dalton Brooks, Shiner (Shiner, TX) - 2023:

The 6-foot-1, 175-pound safety and his brother, Doug, hit Austin on Saturday. Brooks is already a fan of the Horns, and meeting the staff and other prospects really resonated with the four-star with 11 offers including Alabama, Notre Dame, and Georgia.

“The atmosphere,” said Brooks, when asked what stood out about the trip. "(Texas) makes it feel like somewhere I should be.”

He was able to hang out with his cousin, Texas signee Jonathon Brooks, as well. He hopes to return this fall for a game.

Texas is in a great early spot for the top-100 talent.

WR Johntay Cook, DeSoto (DeSoto, TX) - 2023:

Cook worked out in DKR with Arch Manning and other 2023 targets before enjoying the rest of the visit. When speaking with media following the visit, he said that the “hype is real” regarding Cooper’s son and Peyton and Eli’s nephew. He also mentioned he bonded with Manning and 2023 Texas commit Rueben Owens. His workout was revealing for him as he wanted to get a sense of how Andre Coleman would coach him should he attend Texas. He came away with positive reviews. He mentioned how Texas really sold the name, image, and likeness program and how it’s an opportunity for players to capitalize on their profile. He enjoyed finally being able to meet Steve Sarkisian and his cool, lowkey approach to coaching.

DB Jamel Johnson, Seguin (Arlington, TX) - 2023:

One of the top DBs in the nation was raving about his visit after it was finished, including the facilities, the program, and the other recruits present. He had positive conversations with Pete Kwiatkowski, Terry Joseph, and Blake Gideon. Johnson has tripped to TCU and SMU, and plans to see Alabama, Texas A&M, Oklahoma, USC, and LSU. Johnson is a man of few words, but it did sound like Texas made a good impression on his visit. Position wise, they talked about how versatile he is and talked about the ability to play both corner and safety. He mentioned Kwiatkowski showed him seven-man DB packages, and that Gideon gave off an impression that he really cared about his players.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

1) I just want you to know that I always read your handle as JesusSweatDick and I'm never going to stop.

2.) Yeah, I don't think he's ever liked Texas, but it's really more that Elko is one of his biggest sources so his news comes with a slant. When Elko moves on, you'll probably see his coverage shift a bit. 

Jesus's Sweaty Dick would be funnier.

• Hook 'Em 1

Wells:

RB Rueben Owens, El Campo (El Campo, TX) - 2023 (TEXAS):

"I loved the camp," said Owens. "It was the best vs best, iron vs iron, and we all worked hard and competed. Anthony Hill tested me, he's pretty good." 

One of his weekend goals was hanging out with Arch Manning and Johntay Cook on "his turf." Owens was the consummate host. 

"It's going real good, those are my guys," Owens said. "We're about to hangout again later. The staff told them to work hard and show them what we can do. And we did." 

The buzz word for the weekend was vibe. We had many players mentioning the family atmosphere and overwhelmingly positive support staff. Owens noticed. 

"There's a different vibe here," said Owens. "The pool party was so much fun. Crazy atmosphere. We had wings and girls. All of that good stuff." 

Owens says he's going to see OU and Ohio State over the next few weeks, after earlier trips to Alabama and LSU. Owens wants and will enjoy the recruiting process to the fullest. But at the end of the day, he's still orange house. 

"Yeah, it's still Texas," said Owens. "It'll always be Texas." 

CB Javien Toviano, Martin (Arlington, TX) - 2023:

This is a recruitment where Texas jumped in early, laid the foundation, and are currently adding to that building. 

At 6-foot, 185 pounds, the future five-star athlete had seen Alabama and OU in recent weeks. So getting Toviano back in Austin was imperative for the UT staff. And they killed it. 

"It was different," said Toviano. "Different vibe and different culture than the other places. You can tell just being here in Austin is different. It's the epitome of Texas football. It's the brand. It's just amazing to be out here." 

Toviano has seen his stock skyrocket over the last six months, and there are no signs of slowing down. UT's message remains the unchanged. 

"They see me as a priority," Toviano said. "Just come here and they told me I could change their defense. Hearing that instills something in the back of mind to stay here." 

He was able to see former Martin teammate and UT signee Morice Blackwell, and was texting with teammate and current Texas pledge Trevell Johnson. A lot of burnt orange around Arlington lately. 

"This place isn't like anywhere else," said Toviano. "Texas will always be at or near the top for me. From sitting down with the coaches in position meetings, to speaking to the current players, the vibe here is different and exciting."

His favorite part of the trip: "It was great talking with coach Sark," said Toviano. "He was telling me I'm the type of player they have to keep in-state." 

Indeed. 

WR Braylon James, Del Valle (Del Valle, TX) - 2023: 

The talented pass-catcher from down the road was set to see UT today unofficially, but plans change. His family had a few things come up, and now James will make it to the Forty Acres on Thursday or Friday, he tells IT. 

The 6-foot-3, 180-pound four-star holds 31 offers including Ohio State, LSU, Oregon, USC, and Georgia. He's slated to see Columbus, OH on June 22nd as well.

49 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Wells:

"I loved the camp," said Owens. "It was the best vs best, iron vs iron, and we all worked hard and competed. Anthony Hill tested me, he's pretty good." 

One of his weekend goals was hanging out with Arch Manning and Johntay Cook on "his turf." Owens was the consummate host. 

"It's going real good, those are my guys," Owens said. "We're about to hangout again later. The staff told them to work hard and show them what we can do. And we did." 

The buzz word for the weekend was vibe. We had many players mentioning the family atmosphere and overwhelmingly positive support staff. Owens noticed. 

"There's a different vibe here," said Owens. "The pool party was so much fun. Crazy atmosphere. We had wings and girls. All of that good stuff." 

Owens says he's going to see OU and Ohio State over the next few weeks, after earlier trips to Alabama and LSU. Owens wants and will enjoy the recruiting process to the fullest. But at the end of the day, he's still orange house. 

This is a recruitment where Texas jumped in early, laid the foundation, and are currently adding to that building. 

At 6-foot, 185 pounds, the future five-star athlete had seen Alabama and OU in recent weeks. So getting Toviano back in Austin was imperative for the UT staff. And they killed it. 

"It was different," said Toviano. "Different vibe and different culture than the other places. You can tell just being here in Austin is different. It's the epitome of Texas football. It's the brand. It's just amazing to be out here." 

Toviano has seen his stock skyrocket over the last six months, and there are no signs of slowing down. UT's message remains the unchanged. 

"They see me as a priority," Toviano said. "Just come here and they told me I could change their defense. Hearing that instills something in the back of mind to stay here." 

He was able to see former Martin teammate and UT signee Morice Blackwell, and was texting with teammate and current Texas pledge Trevell Johnson. A lot of burnt orange around Arlington lately. 

"This place isn't like anywhere else," said Toviano. "Texas will always be at or near the top for me. From sitting down with the coaches in position meetings, to speaking to the current players, the vibe here is different and exciting."

His favorite part of the trip: "It was great talking with coach Sark," said Toviano. "He was telling me I'm the type of player they have to keep in-state." 

Indeed. 

The talented pass-catcher from down the road was set to see UT today unofficially, but plans change. His family had a few things come up, and now James will make it to the Forty Acres on Thursday or Friday, he tells IT. 

The 6-foot-3, 180-pound four-star holds 31 offers including Ohio State, LSU, Oregon, USC, and Georgia. He's slated to see Columbus, OH on June 22nd as well.

Spoiler

Wells:

Indeed. 

For darkmode

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, UncleSonny said:

It's very stupid on my part, but sort of chafe at giving recruits #20 or another retired number for these photoshoots. Like in my head I feel like someone needs to tell them they won't be getting that number if they end up here. 

I agree. I think we need to hand each recruit a strongly worded letter, immediately upon their arrival to campus, highlighting to them all of the various things they cannot and will not be doing at Texas, and the litany of traditions and expectations that the fanbase expects them to religiously uphold starting on Day 1 of their first unofficial visit to campus. I think you, UncleSonny, should get started on the first draft. Post your image here of the completed form on your Big Chief tablet and we'll shoot you some quick edits.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 4

10 minutes ago, UncleSonny said:

It's very stupid on my part, but sort of chafe at giving recruits #20 or another retired number for these photoshoots. Like in my head I feel like someone needs to tell them they won't be getting that number if they end up here. 

1 minute ago, closetojumping said:

I agree. I think we need to hand each recruit a strongly worded letter, immediately upon their arrival to campus, highlighting to them all of the various things they cannot and will not be doing at Texas, and the litany of traditions and expectations that the fanbase expects them to religiously uphold starting on Day 1 of their first unofficial visit to campus. I think you, UncleSonny, should get started on the first draft. Post your image here of the completed form on your Big Chief tablet and we'll shoot you some quick edits.

1) Walking on the grass...

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

11 minutes ago, UncleSonny said:

It's very stupid on my part...

giphy.gif

• Haha 1

At the very least, get them all together for a rousing rendition of the school song. They’d love that.