Texas Recruiting Notes 2023: Strippers, Monkeys, and 5-Stars

Machinator

I would feel a lot better about Arch if Ole Miss and UGA cool off and start to struggle a bit. I think those two end up being real competition with the years they're having.

Clemson's pass offense has started off worse than ours, so that's cool

Biggest thing we have going for us against all these schools is that Sark ain't leaving us for anything else (and is obviously a huge QB guru). Kiffin could leave, Monken could leave, Streeter/Elliot likely will leave, BoB definitely will leave. UT is the only place his QB coach would really be locked in.

Edited by Tex-19

37 minutes ago, Tex-19 said:

I would feel a lot better about Arch if Ole Miss and UGA cool off and start to struggle a bit. I think those two end up being real competition with the years they're having.

Biggest thing we have going for us against all these schools is that Sark ain't leaving us for anything else (and is obviously a huge QB guru). Kiffin could leave, Monken could leave, Streeter/Elliot likely will leave, BoB definitely will leave. UT is the only place his QB coach would really be locked in.

The Mannings reportedly aren't big fans of Kiffin.

• Hook 'Em 1

The Mannings reportedly aren't big fans of Kiffin.

They’re not going to be big fans of our OL if we don’t fix this problem. If we had Banks and Dewberry and Campbell committed right now to go along with Cole and Connor - we might have a commitment from Arch.

Im afraid Arch is a pipe dream if we don’t fix the OL.
  • Hook 'Em 2

They may think family instruction/influence (and genes) will be enough to overcome anything, but if the Mannings really want a positive QB influence on Arch that can enhance his pro readiness, then they’ll stay far away from anyone from the Briles coaching tree. Plus, Lebby is a piece of shit. 

• Hook 'Em 3

I Think they are going to be focused on Championships and the NFL. It will be hard to beat out Bama unless somehow they slip or Saban retires. The only caveat is that there might be some competition there and Saban is not going to care about making any recruit happy he is going to put winning above all else.  

10 hours ago, UncleBuck said:

That’d be the Schobels. Pretty sure Matt Anderson wasn’t just confused when he’d come back to Cuero and pop in at school or practice, and we just tolerated it.

My brother would bird hunt with him in Columbus so I always assumed he was from there. Good dude. 

23 minutes ago, UncleBuck said:

He did spend time growing up in Sealy, so probably has a lot of family in the area.

Damn, that move had to have been tough on a high school football player in that time frame. I know Cuero has a damn good program, but T.J. Mills had Sealy rolling at that time...although I guess he probably would've graduated during the early part of that run.

• Hook 'Em 1

7 hours ago, Tex-19 said:

The Manning's should take a long look at UGA's QB use before even considering them. Kirby played Fromm over Fields . Rode with Stetson Bennett for the longest last year before turning to JT late. Now with JT out, he turns back to Stetson Bennett rather than using either Beck or Brock. It worked against UAB because well....it's UAB. Their defense will keep them in any game but if Kirby believes Stetson fucking Bennett is the best option after JT. Then.....he still hasn't learned his lesson. 

2 hours ago, Cashcar said:

Arch is not coming to Texas to get the shit beat out of him with our putrid Oline…

Let's see how this OL looks after a full season in this system.  Our offense probably would have looked a lot better with Casey against Arkansas.  Remember, JWhitt dropped two passes that were crucial plays and Card overthrew Worthy twice badly that would have results in big explosive plays.  Arch is probably thinking he would make those throws.

With that said, I don't know if I would bet on Texas landing him but I don't think it's as bad as we're probably making it out to be.  If he's going to come here, it's purely because he believes Sark will prepare him for the NFL.  I think he probably see's that Card fucked up that game plan against Arkansas more so than Sark not knowing how to coach QBs and an offense.

Edited by victory88
  • Hook 'Em 2

3 hours ago, Cashcar said:

Arch is not coming to Texas to get the shit beat out of him with our putrid Oline…

Which means he needs to commit soon, convince 3 or 4 stud OTs to commit in 2022, get the Brocks to transfer, and lock up 5 or 6 studs for 2023. By the time he's ready to start as a RS Freshman in 2024, we'll be loaded at OL.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Cashcar said:

The earlier he commits the better for us.  They can easily sell the Alabama Flood vs the first few games at Texas Flood. "Hey, we inherited a bunch of turds, don't worry, we'll get our guys in here via the portal and recruiting, trust us that will be fixed."

• Hook 'Em 1

42 minutes ago, alphahorn said:

The earlier he commits the better for us.  They can easily sell the Alabama Flood vs the first few games at Texas Flood. "Hey, we inherited a bunch of turds, don't worry, we'll get our guys in here via the portal and recruiting, trust us that will be fixed."

Texas Flood is better.

• Hook 'Em 4

15 minutes ago, trythisathome said:

Not only my favorite song of all time, but the El Mocambo version is even better. I personally believe him performing that specific song at that show is the greatest guitar performance of all time. Just otherworldly talent. 

Aha - good to know - will check that one out too.

Why the fuck would he commit early to us?
  • Hook 'Em 1

With the hit rate on high school OL signees, I’m ok with full court press on top transfer OL until we can establish some consistency in the trenches. Then maybe we can start hitting on the “can’t miss” high school OL prospects. Either way, the portal should always be a top priority.

• Hook 'Em 1

10 hours ago, UncleBuck said:

Not if they’re followed by unimpressive signees, is the point. Hopefully Flood can show some good work.

That's exactly right.  

Watching the Arky game was like watching the exact same Oline we've had for the last 10 years.  

8 hours ago, Coelenterate Fuccboi said:

With the hit rate on high school OL signees, I’m ok with full court press on top transfer OL until we can establish some consistency in the trenches. Then maybe we can start hitting on the “can’t miss” high school OL prospects. Either way, the portal should always be a top priority.

It’s not even an option at this point. They will have to. We will barely be able to fill out a 2 deep on OL at this point.

In 2023/2024 season we will have in a best case scenario a couple of juniors in Majors, Karic, Tyler Johnson, Hayden Connor that have some action, and then guys for one year like Hookfin, maybe a Jaylen Garth if he’s ever healthy. 

Hand and Herman really fucked us in those last 2 classes. 

• Hook 'Em 1

22 minutes ago, Enchubben said:

It’s not even an option at this point. They will have to. We will barely be able to fill out a 2 deep on OL at this point.

In 2023/2024 season we will have in a best case scenario a couple of juniors in Majors, Karic, Tyler Johnson, Hayden Connor that have some action, and then guys for one year like Hookfin, maybe a Jaylen Garth if he’s ever healthy. 

Hand and Herman really fucked us in those last 2 classes. 

Logan Parr no bueno? Haven't heard much about him, or did I miss something?

3 minutes ago, Cashcar said:

Perhaps Surly shouldn’t start sucking each others dicks about a staff so soon. 

That's a legit conversation, for like 8 months ago. As for right now, we haven't seen nearly enough. Now pull your pants up and stop beating your pussy over it ffs. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Cashcar said:

Didn’t say I want him gone. Just curious why everyone was so high on him initially. I get the Bama piece, but prior to that his resume isn’t phenomenal. 

Perhaps Surly shouldn’t start sucking each others dicks about a staff so soon. 

Alums wanted the coach who ultimately  became the winningest hoops coach of all time gone after 3 years. His resume before that was coaching at Army. Evidently maybe Saban saw something in Flood and that's why he brought him to Bama. I want to see what he can do with his kids. If it's not working then, that's different.

• Hook 'Em 1

19 hours ago, Coelenterate Fuccboi said:

And as many of them as we can get

22 minutes ago, Handcruser said:

In another post, I said 10+.

Connor
Cole

Add:
Devon
Dewberry
Greene

Late riser

2-3 xfer
2-3grad xfer

Something like that. Then trim what we have in the roster by 4-5 so the net add isn’t so lopsided.

I hate to break it to you, but we’re not leading for any of Greene, Dewberry, and Campbell.  I would be shocked if we got any of them let alone all 3.

• Hook 'Em 1

I hate to break it to you, but we’re not leading for any of Greene, Dewberry, and Campbell.  I would be shocked if we got any of them let alone all 3.

Oh yeah fully aware. That’s the “keep offering them cold hard cash in increasing increments until they sign elsewhere” list.

1m, 2m, 35m….whatever it takes.

2 hours ago, victory88 said:

You’re not much of a competitor, are you? “Well, I’m not leading the race, so guess I’ll head for the stands and watch the rest of the competition.”

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2