Texas Recruiting Notes 2023: Strippers, Monkeys, and 5-Stars

Machinator

Roach on Arch:

Everyone is putting out Arch updates so I don’t want you guys to think I’m asleep over here.

I’ve been on the phone most of the day and have some very positive stuff on the five star QB and other recruits. My objective is to give you a much more meaty update in The Stampede so I’m putting all that together now.

Anyone you talk to is still very positive on Arch and Texas and it’s the same for me. I could give you a taste or I could give you the whole meal tomorrow. To do that I need time to prepare it. I know some folks would want an update so that’s why I write this.

247 Recruiting Stampede:

Spoiler

-2023-

Arch Manning

This was the biggest visitor of the weekend, and even though many were fretting over a loss in front of the five-star quarterback, I was told it really didn’t matter to him. Despite what you might think, Manning and his family don’t really look at football on the macro level of individual wins and losses. For them, the idea is more about fit within the culture of the city and school, and the offense as a whole. Manning loves Austin, and Texas reenforced that this weekend. He spent some time with current players and recruits out on Lake Austin when he arrived Friday, and he also spent time with a few former Isidore Newman students who now attend Texas.

On Saturday, Manning was able to talk with Evan Stewart and Johntay Cook along with several other targets in attendance to get a feel for the types of players that the Longhorns were recruiting who could end up as weapons should they all choose to go there. After the game, Manning and his close friend Will Randle spent time with a few players and commits hanging around Austin and seeing more of the city. Texas checks a ton of boxes for Manning, and there’s a feeling leaving the weekend that the Longhorns remain in very strong standing along with Georgia. One source I spoke with said that while it’s too early to say Manning has a defined list of leaders, those two programs seem to be emerging. For Texas, I think they’ve shown Manning everything he needs to see, and the football side is in good hands because of his relationship with Steve Sarkisian and AJ Milwee. Manning is a football junkie who loves discussing schemes, offensive principles and new innovative ways to play, and that is in line mentally with Sark and Milwee. The trust seems to be there from the family in that coaching staff and Manning isn’t really that focused on what this year’s team looks like as an individual performer. As I’ve preached from the beginning, patience is needed here. Texas came into this weekend a front runner in this recruitment, and some people he and his family interacted with believe that they solidified themselves as the top dog.

Will Randle

While Randle and Manning are close, they likely won’t make decisions that affect one another. Randle was taken by the city, the stadium and facilities, and the educational opportunities afforded to him at Texas. The Longhorns took a strong step in the right direction with the 2023 Isidore Newman tight end, and they should be a strong contender for his services. Keep an eye on whoever LSU hires to replace Ed Orgeron. Randle really likes the Tigers, but lack of stability prevented them from taking hold of a lead. Texas is at the front of the pack for Randle coming out of the weekend as the Longhorns continue to push for him.

Johntay Cook

Cook made another trip to Texas, and the Longhorns remain one of the top schools in the running for him. The four-star DeSoto wide receiver really would like the opportunity to play with Manning at the next level, and the two common schools they are considering are Texas and Alabama. Cook’s relationship with the coaching staff and the comfort that the Texas program provides are both huge traits in favor of landing one of the state’s best route runners. Like Manning, Cook is lessed focused on the individual results of this season. Immediately following the game, Cook met with the coaches who told him that they need more playmakers like him in this offense to really make it go. I don’t believe Texas lost any ground coming out of the weekend and I expect them to remain a power player in this one.

Jaden Greathouse

Nick discussed the Austin Westlake wide receiver last night, and in checking with sources of my own, it sounds like Texas has been able to quietly grab the lead for the big wide receiver.  AJ Milwee has been on him since arriving, and Greathouse has been at every home game except for the performance against Rice.  Oklahoma seemed to be the other school emerging for the services of Greathouse, but I was told that recent visits to Norman didn’t meet his expectations. Like many Westlake kids, Greathouse could stay close to home and enjoy a school culture and education he wants at Texas. The Longhorns haven’t really discussed position fit with him, and while most see him as a tweener, he could be a versatile weapon in a few different roles. Greathouse is another player who has grown close with Manning and I’m told the two often talk. If Texas really pushes for him, I think they could win out pretty decisively.

Connor Stroh

The newest Texas offensive line offer is a mountain of a man, but the 2023 prospect is still “football young.” At 6-foot-7, 345 pounds, Stroh feels he’s just finding his feet as a prospect after missing his entire sophomore season with injury. His varsity experience totals just 7 games, but Stroh had a strong spring and summer on the camp circuit and is playing well so far this season. He moves well for his size, and despite being so large, he doesn’t look to be out of shape.

Kyle Flood identified Stroh early and brough him in for a few games this season while evaluating his tape.  Texas was the first school to offer the mammoth offensive tackle and blew him away with the visit experience and hospitality.  Stroh said the performance on the field only spoke to the importance of recruiting the right guys for the roster.  I don’t get the sense that Stroh is in any hurry to commit, but Texas getting in early will establish them as a leader for his services.

• Hook 'Em 4

IT Scoop (2023)

Spoiler

ARCH MANNING INTEL

*From a handful of people who spent time with Arch Manning in mid-June and then again this weekend, it’s clear he’s very fond of Austin.

*Even during his unofficial visit to Texas in June, he told players how much he enjoys UT and Austin. In June he hung out with Hudson Card, Logan Parr, Jake Majors, and Sawyer Goram-Welch in addition to a couple recruits.

*After arriving on Friday, Manning and Isidore Newman teammate Will Randle were met by walk-on defensive lineman Patrick Bayouth and others who took them out on the lake. Manning has become familiar with a couple of the walk-ons, including Tannahill Love and Michael Taaffe. One of Manning’s wide receivers from last season is a freshman in Austin.

*He’s clicking with Texas commits and prospects. O-line commits Connor Robertson and Cole Hutson are there for him if he has any questions. Arch and Robertson communicate frequently and they hung out a lot this weekend. Derrick Brown and BJ Allen also buzz his phone a bit. His relationships with 2023 DeSoto wide receiver Johntay Cook and Odessa Permian offensive lineman Harris Sewell continue to grow.

*Texas courting tight end Will Randle does help this recruitment. Even if Randle doesn’t sign with UT, the engagement and interaction with him has impressed the Isidore Newman staff. Arch Manning is so high profile, allowing his best friend the same access has helped the Horns’ chances. There are some who feel Randle is quite high on Texas. He certainly had as much fun as Manning this weekend. We’re still wondering how things at LSU will shake out and how much that affects Randle. At a minimum, Texas in good shape for the 2023 tight end.

*The Texas sell is viewed to have a lot of substance on and off the field. We’ve gone over that quite a bit and nothing that happened this weekend seems to have changed that. We will continue to check on the football component.

*IT still believes Georgia is the main competition for Arch and a timeline for a decision is unknown at this time. It could be anytime between now and February.

*The entire Manning family was involved in the visit this weekend. Peyton and Eli were not on hand, but did take part in a zoom call IT was told.

TE Will Randle, Isidore Newman (New Orleans, LA) - 2023:

At 6-foot-4, 220 pounds, the sure-handed tight end made a return trip to the ATX. And like last time, it did not disappoint.

"The facilities, atmosphere, and great restaurants," said Randle about what stood out from his Austin trip. "All of it."

Manning's safety valve on offense at Newman was already enamored with UT. He told IT his unofficial in June was overwhelmingly grand and surpassed expectations. Unlike last summer, he was able to really dig into the sights and sounds of Austin and everything it had to offer.

"We really had a great time," Randle said. “Lake Austin was beautiful. I loved all of it."

Do Randle and Manning play together at the next level? It's definitely possible.

The duo didn't mention it too much, but it's obvious to those around them that they'd prefer playing at the same program, as long as the school lines up with what both are looking for. At this point, Texas might be the only program courting both as heavily. Jeff Banks has made sure Randle feels the love.

With eight offers in hand including Texas, LSU, Florida State, Georgia Tech, and Purdue, Randle is popping up on radars on the daily. With his combination of size, hands, and athleticism, he's not just a guy you take to help with Manning. This dude is a take too.

WR Johntay Cook, DeSoto (DeSoto, TX) - 2023: It was no surprise to see the dynamic four-star walking into DKR on Saturday morning. The 6-foot-0, 175-pounder has made the drive to Austin many times already and with Arch Manning on campus, there was no way Cook was going to miss on a chance to hang out with his future quarterback, as he puts it.

Cook, like other targets, likes the offense he's seeing and also the opportunity to play early. He also built a tremendous relationship with Steve Sarkisian and Chris Gilbert. Coach Gilbert is vital to many of the DFW recruitments. His built-in roots are more valuable than anyone could've imagined.

TE Jaden Greathouse, Westlake (Austin, Texas) - 2023:

If the Longhorns are to win-out for a local 2023 prospect or two, Greathouse will likely be one of them as of today. Not out of the question that IT doesn’t move to commitment watch on this one in the near future.

LB Anthony Hill, Ryan (Denton, TX) - 2023: Don't get it twisted, the 6-foot-3, 225-pound four-star wants to play linebacker in college.

While some schools might put him on the edge, Hill will quickly tell you he won't attend a program that recruits him there. He told IT as much.

With 30 offers including Texas, Alabama, Clemson, Michigan, LSU, and Texas A&M, he's one of the most coveted prospects from the class of 2023.

This is the second game this season Hill has attended, and with Ryan teammate Austin Jordan committed to Texas, there's a sense Hill is looking really close at the Horns. With 105 tackles in 2020's state championship season, Hill is the quintessential throwback linebacker. He plays hard, trains hard, and prepares for the next level.

Hill doesn't have a timeline, but since late in the summer, Hill has been looking better and better for Texas. And I don't see Pete Kwaitkowski letting up.

TWO TEXAS TARGETS TALK POTENTIAL OFFER

2023 Hebron LB Carson Dean has increased contact with the Texas staff and had high praise following his first visit to Austin.

“I really liked the visit,” said Dean. “It was really organized and super nice. The atmosphere was insane the whole game.”

The 6-foot-4, 230-pound junior with offers from Washington and Baylor went into more detail on his conversation with the Texas staff.

“Coach (Jeff) Choate pretty much told me I’m checking all the boxes so far,” Dean told Inside Texas. “He is going to come to my high school this week to check me out in more detail and he said they’re all going to watch my film in more detail.”

Dean plays multiple linebacker roles for Hebron’s 3-4 defense. Displaying positional versatility has the Texas staff intrigued.

“Texas didn’t really have a specific spot set because they said I can play multiple positions on defense,” said Dean. “Coach Choate just told me that I fit their linebacker scheme in multiple spots and they love my versatility.”

• Hook 'Em 2

4 hours ago, Big Woodrows said:

IT Scoop (2023)

Hide contents

*Even during his unofficial visit to Texas in June, he told players how much he enjoys UT and Austin. In June he hung out with Hudson Card, Logan Parr, Jake Majors, and Sawyer Goram-Welch in addition to a couple recruits.

*After arriving on Friday, Manning and Isidore Newman teammate Will Randle were met by walk-on defensive lineman Patrick Bayouth and others who took them out on the lake. Manning has become familiar with a couple of the walk-ons, including Tannahill Love and Michael Taaffe. One of Manning’s wide receivers from last season is a freshman in Austin.

Even fraternities think this group is a little white

• Haha 1

Fong on Arch Manning's visit

Spoiler

Arch Manning has another good experience at Texas

By Steve Wiltfong

New Orleans (La.) Isidore Newman five-star 2023 quarterback Arch Manning spent his weekend at the University of Texas, a return trip to Austin where the blue-chip passer took in a game at Darrell K Royal Stadium for the first time.

"He lit up and just said he had a great time," Isidore Newman head coach Nelson Stewart said. "Loved atmosphere at the game, etc..."

Manning and his family were able to spend more time with the Texas staff and he was able to hang out with many of the prospects on campus. He's been building a strong rapport with Steve Sarkisian and AJ Milwee.

"I think they have done an outstanding job establishing a relationship with him from the start," Stewart said. "Coach Sark's direct involvement in his recruitment comes across as very authentic and special. It's obvious Arch and him have a great connection. It's all happened very naturally and nothing has been forced. AJ Milwee has also been instrumental in establishing the same type of connection with Arch. Credit to Texas for the way they have handled his recruitment and done things how I feel is the right way. That's why they are where they are with him."

Manning has raved about Texas in the past and he had a terrific visit back in the summer.

“They’re just good guys, laid back people, personable, it’s easy to talk to them,” Manning said. “Explosive offense.”

Manning added he enjoyed hanging with the Texas players on his last visit.

“Hudson Card, he’s a really good guy,” Manning said. “Really just catching up with the players because they spoke highly of Sark. It was really cool to see how that program is going to be up and coming.”

This past Thursday, Sarkisian and Milwee attended Manning and teammate Will Randle who also has a Texas offer game.

"“A.J. Milwee and Sark have done a great job fostering that relationship and continuing to let it happen and he was able to connect early,” Stewart said.

This was the third game visit of the season for Manning who also saw Georgia beat South Carolina and Alabama defeat Ole Miss. This weekend he'll be in Oxford to watch the Rebels host LSU where Eli Manning's jersey will be retired. He will head to Clemson after that to see the Tigers host Florida State.

Manning is the 247Sports Composite's No. 1 overall prospect in the 2023 class.

"Good height and overall frame potential," 247Sports National Analyst Gabe Brooks wrote in his scouting report. "Relatively lean, athletic build and carries existing weight well. One-of-a-kind quarterback pedigree. Natural pocket passer with pro-style feel, but good functional athlete with terrific off-schedule instincts and playmaking ability. Junior season has shown improved running ability in designed situations and continued dangerous scrambling effectiveness. Looks first to throw when on the move, but capable of gaining chunk yards and converting money downs with his legs. Has repeatedly shown ability to throw accurately outside of the pocket, including when throwing across his body. Calm field demeanor yet poised and competitive simultaneously. Quick, natural release. Accuracy among his best traits. Processes quickly and picks apart defenses in the short-to-intermediate game. Displays requisite vertical arm strength and in-the-bucket touch on deep shots. Impressively pairs velocity and touch to fit throws into zone windows. Elite pocket awareness. Sixth-sense ability to feel pressure and avoid rushers. Good size but still filling out frame, which will continue to raise the ceiling on arm capacity. Does not face elite high school competition, but feel for the game and pedigree will translate regardless. One of the nation's top prospects regardless of position. Likely multi-year high-major starter with first-round NFL Draft ceiling."

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, MuellerHorn said:

Fong on Arch Manning's visit

Reveal hidden contents

Arch Manning has another good experience at Texas

By Steve Wiltfong

New Orleans (La.) Isidore Newman five-star 2023 quarterback Arch Manning spent his weekend at the University of Texas, a return trip to Austin where the blue-chip passer took in a game at Darrell K Royal Stadium for the first time.

"He lit up and just said he had a great time," Isidore Newman head coach Nelson Stewart said. "Loved atmosphere at the game, etc..."

Manning and his family were able to spend more time with the Texas staff and he was able to hang out with many of the prospects on campus. He's been building a strong rapport with Steve Sarkisian and AJ Milwee.

"I think they have done an outstanding job establishing a relationship with him from the start," Stewart said. "Coach Sark's direct involvement in his recruitment comes across as very authentic and special. It's obvious Arch and him have a great connection. It's all happened very naturally and nothing has been forced. AJ Milwee has also been instrumental in establishing the same type of connection with Arch. Credit to Texas for the way they have handled his recruitment and done things how I feel is the right way. That's why they are where they are with him."

Manning has raved about Texas in the past and he had a terrific visit back in the summer.

“They’re just good guys, laid back people, personable, it’s easy to talk to them,” Manning said. “Explosive offense.”

Manning added he enjoyed hanging with the Texas players on his last visit.

“Hudson Card, he’s a really good guy,” Manning said. “Really just catching up with the players because they spoke highly of Sark. It was really cool to see how that program is going to be up and coming.”

This past Thursday, Sarkisian and Milwee attended Manning and teammate Will Randle who also has a Texas offer game.

"“A.J. Milwee and Sark have done a great job fostering that relationship and continuing to let it happen and he was able to connect early,” Stewart said.

This was the third game visit of the season for Manning who also saw Georgia beat South Carolina and Alabama defeat Ole Miss. This weekend he'll be in Oxford to watch the Rebels host LSU where Eli Manning's jersey will be retired. He will head to Clemson after that to see the Tigers host Florida State.

Manning is the 247Sports Composite's No. 1 overall prospect in the 2023 class.

"Good height and overall frame potential," 247Sports National Analyst Gabe Brooks wrote in his scouting report. "Relatively lean, athletic build and carries existing weight well. One-of-a-kind quarterback pedigree. Natural pocket passer with pro-style feel, but good functional athlete with terrific off-schedule instincts and playmaking ability. Junior season has shown improved running ability in designed situations and continued dangerous scrambling effectiveness. Looks first to throw when on the move, but capable of gaining chunk yards and converting money downs with his legs. Has repeatedly shown ability to throw accurately outside of the pocket, including when throwing across his body. Calm field demeanor yet poised and competitive simultaneously. Quick, natural release. Accuracy among his best traits. Processes quickly and picks apart defenses in the short-to-intermediate game. Displays requisite vertical arm strength and in-the-bucket touch on deep shots. Impressively pairs velocity and touch to fit throws into zone windows. Elite pocket awareness. Sixth-sense ability to feel pressure and avoid rushers. Good size but still filling out frame, which will continue to raise the ceiling on arm capacity. Does not face elite high school competition, but feel for the game and pedigree will translate regardless. One of the nation's top prospects regardless of position. Likely multi-year high-major starter with first-round NFL Draft ceiling."

Interesting that they had him hanging out with Card. Would they risk the biggest recruit this decade by hooking him up with a portal risk? Wonder if that says anything about next year's QB room

2 minutes ago, Laga4 said:

This might not have the staying power of cheese talk.

I took trig my junior year in HS. Had a funny old teacher from UT teaching the class. I remember numerous jokes by him and nothing about trig. Thank God. Probably the most boring class I ever took at any level. If there's a run on trig posts here, it might lead to a lemming-level mass suicide due to the absolute rock bottom level of ennui we'd have apparently struck.

• Hook 'Em 1

11 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I took trig my junior year in HS. Had a funny old teacher from UT teaching the class. I remember numerous jokes by him and nothing about trig. Thank God. Probably the most boring class I ever took at any level. If there's a run on trig posts here, it might lead to a lemming-level mass suicide due to the absolute rock bottom level of ennui we'd have apparently struck.

It could get bad.

If we do have a run on trig posts it could be a sine of things to come.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

a very bad sine indeed

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Sir Ulrich said:

Interesting that they had him hanging out with Card. Would they risk the biggest recruit this decade by hooking him up with a portal risk? Wonder if that says anything about next year's QB room

The articles from 247 and IT yesterday regarding this past weekend's visit described that Arch hung out with many players with certain properties: white, affluent, native-Austinites. They went to Lake Austin and such.

47 minutes ago, MuellerHorn said:

The articles from 247 and IT yesterday regarding this past weekend's visit described that Arch hung out with many players with certain properties: white, affluent, native-Austinites. They went to Lake Austin and such.

His friend and former teammate is a walk-on at Texas.  That's why he's hanging out with them... it's because he knows them.  

17 minutes ago, victory88 said:

His friend and former teammate is a walk-on at Texas.  That's why he's hanging out with them... it's because he knows them.  

That's not the entire explanation.

"Even during his unofficial visit to Texas in June, he told players how much he enjoys UT and Austin. In June he hung out with Hudson Card, Logan Parr, Jake Majors, and Sawyer Goram-Welch in addition to a couple recruits.

*After arriving on Friday, Manning and Isidore Newman teammate Will Randle were met by walk-on defensive lineman Patrick Bayouth and others who took them out on the lake. Manning has become familiar with a couple of the walk-ons, including Tannahill Love and Michael Taaffe. One of Manning’s wide receivers from last season is a freshman in Austin."

My answer was to the original question as to why Manning was hanging out with Hudson Card when there is speculation that Card may transfer. It's because Card is part of the group of current UT players that Manning has connected with most.

Edited by MuellerHorn

3 hours ago, Queen Bitch said:

When the $9.95ers make up a conversation with an insider, do they still do that thing where they use a Gen-Z phrase and the insider has no idea what it means?

“I don’t know what LIT means but Evan Stewart definitely said College Station was LIT. These kids and their silly phrases, we will never decipher this code”

5 minutes ago, Barbacoa said:

Raiola Fong'd to Georgia. mArch for Arch continues. 

Oh my. Just for fun, which do you think generates more positive recruiting buzz for the program.. an Arch commitment or if Urban would’ve said yes? From all accounts it seems than manning pretty much guarantees an influx of blue chip talent like no other prospect in a long time

Edited by RaysBoomBoomRoom
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, RaysBoomBoomRoom said:

Oh my. Just for fun, which do you think generates more positive buzz for the program.. an Arch commitment or if Urban would’ve said yes? From all accounts it seems than manning pretty much guarantees an influx of blue chip talent like no other prospect in a long time

Urban Meyer but the fact that its even a reasonable question shows what a pied piper Arch would be. Arch would be like having another ace recruiter on staff. 

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

Thinking about what would be going on right now with Urban Meyer vs what is actually going on is not my idea of fun.

I've got faith, but Urban was a "Texas is definitely back pretty much right now" hire.

I really like coach sark and I think he relates well with this generations athlete. An easy guy to root for. He just desperately needed to change the narrative year one and not lose to an Arkansas or not blow big leads ect. So he’s still got his work cut out but I’ve seen positive signs. Defense is such a letdown though.

Edited by RaysBoomBoomRoom

14 minutes ago, RaysBoomBoomRoom said:

I really like coach sark and I think he relates well with this generations athlete. An easy guy to root for. He just desperately needed to change the narrative year one and not lose to an Arkansas or not blow big leads ect. So he’s still got his work cut out but I’ve seen positive signs. Defense is such a letdown though.

Can you walk us through the positive signs you're seeing? I mean, outside of spilling coffee all over my electronics in my office this morning and dreading a 2 hour meeting later today that I've been dreading for over two months, I'm having a super sweet day, but I could still use the entertainment.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2