Texas Recruiting Notes 2023: Strippers, Monkeys, and 5-Stars

Machinator

2 hours ago, Teryor said:

Roach 

Hide contents

— We checked in with sources to see how the visit was going for Arch Manning. As we expected, we were told the visit was going well, but there’s been a change in tone when talking to sources. Maybe it’s a mid-visit high, but multiple people we’ve talked to have gone from a place of quiet confidence or cautious optimism to louder confidence that signals strong belief the Longhorns will land the five-star passer. Manning spent last night with the entire coaching staff along with close friend Will Randle and Johntay Cook, and he’s also spending time at the Dell Match Play event in town. I still don’t expect a commitment coming out of this weekend, and I think the staff is alright with that. I’ll have a lot more detail following the weekend but shift in tone and confidence was palpable when talking to several people today.

— Johntay Cook got into town early and spent Thursday night with Manning, Randle and the coaching staff. Cook told me that the three hung out and watched the March Madness games betting a set of push-ups on Gonzaga and Arkansas. Cook took Arkansas, so Manning had to give him 20 push-ups following the win by the Razorbacks. This was probably just what the doctor ordered for Cook. He’s been through the visit circus many times, but a laid-back environment with the staff and Manning was a refreshing change. Texas just needs to keep plugging ahead here, and landing Manning would help a ton.

— I think the most significant thing to come out of Texas Relays was some clarity in the recruitments of four-star Marlin linebacker Derion Gullette and five-star La Grange cornerback Bravion Rogers. Hudson will have more on Rogers, but he was one of the most impressive prospects on the hoof today. I think we’ve re-calculated where things stand in his recruitment, and Texas is in a better place than originally thought. For Gullette, there hasn’t been a ton of clarity there, but I also think Texas is in a better position for him than I originally thought. It will still be a long road for both, but I don’t think they have to make up the ground we thought they did.

No No No GIF

not gone do it . Nope 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

8 hours ago, Teryor said:

Roach 

Reveal hidden contents

— We checked in with sources to see how the visit was going for Arch Manning. As we expected, we were told the visit was going well, but there’s been a change in tone when talking to sources. Maybe it’s a mid-visit high, but multiple people we’ve talked to have gone from a place of quiet confidence or cautious optimism to louder confidence that signals strong belief the Longhorns will land the five-star passer. Manning spent last night with the entire coaching staff along with close friend Will Randle and Johntay Cook, and he’s also spending time at the Dell Match Play event in town. I still don’t expect a commitment coming out of this weekend, and I think the staff is alright with that. I’ll have a lot more detail following the weekend but shift in tone and confidence was palpable when talking to several people today.

— Johntay Cook got into town early and spent Thursday night with Manning, Randle and the coaching staff. Cook told me that the three hung out and watched the March Madness games betting a set of push-ups on Gonzaga and Arkansas. Cook took Arkansas, so Manning had to give him 20 push-ups following the win by the Razorbacks. This was probably just what the doctor ordered for Cook. He’s been through the visit circus many times, but a laid-back environment with the staff and Manning was a refreshing change. Texas just needs to keep plugging ahead here, and landing Manning would help a ton.

— I think the most significant thing to come out of Texas Relays was some clarity in the recruitments of four-star Marlin linebacker Derion Gullette and five-star La Grange cornerback Bravion Rogers. Hudson will have more on Rogers, but he was one of the most impressive prospects on the hoof today. I think we’ve re-calculated where things stand in his recruitment, and Texas is in a better place than originally thought. For Gullette, there hasn’t been a ton of clarity there, but I also think Texas is in a better position for him than I originally thought. It will still be a long road for both, but I don’t think they have to make up the ground we thought they did.

Nicolas Cage Hair GIF

• Hook 'Em 2

3 hours ago, Duane Moore said:

Seems like a sign of maturity. At that age I would have been at a Round Up darty on West Campus. 

Willing to bet he did both but one isn’t gonna get reported. Dell match play is a day event. Round up goes all night.

If you’re a golf fan, Dell Match Play is awesome. All the best golfers in the world (it’s a big tourney), great weather, beautiful scenery. You don’t need to be drunk to enjoy hanging out in a setting like that. When I first read Arch was coming on Thursday, I fully expected Match Play to be on his agenda and that’s definitely a good thing for us (you don’t have cool shit like that in Athens or Tuscaloosa).

• Hook 'Em 2

19 hours ago, Tex-19 said:

…If you’re a golf fan, Dell Match Play is awesome… When I first read Arch was coming on Thursday, I fully expected Match Play to be on his agenda… you don’t have cool shit like that in Athens or Tuscaloosa.

No exactly IN Athens, but less that 2 hours away they have something comparable. 

8CD595BD-4883-4D06-B8D2-F8CF824ADB05.thumb.jpeg.012f3ffde71e0406023bf574ff609f8a.jpeg

• Haha 2
  • Drool 1

50 minutes ago, babysdaddy said:

Peyton is a member at Augusta

Non-members can’t go without a member, only he and his wife. So what you’re saying is he’s close because he’s in Athens, what I’m saying is he can’t just go because he’s close. His Dad has to take him, and if he’s going to do that you might as well fly private from Austin on your dad’s jet.

For the Masters specifically I’m sure  he would have no problem though, so I’ll just shut up then.

Edited by The Earl of Texas
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Enchubben said:

The fact that their equivalent (though I concede masters>dell match play) is almost 2 hours away is the point.

Their regional equivalent would be the TOUR championship, another mediocre limited field event. And it's just over an hour drive from Athens