Texas Recruiting Notes 2023: Strippers, Monkeys, and 5-Stars

Machinator

31 minutes ago, Nope said:

If Cristobal lets guys like this leave the city then I’m not sure why he was hired 

If there is a position to steal from Cristobal, WR maybe the easiest one. HE was HC at Oregon for 4 years. 

2018- 75 recp and 1184 yards Dillion Mitchell, #2 was 433 yards

2019- 37 catch and 837 yards led that team

2020- 25 catches and 286 yards led the team (7 games, ~41 yards per for the leadign WR isnt good)

2021- 35 catches and 557 yards (actually the RB led in receptions with 46)

Keep in mind Herbert was the QB in 2018 and 2019, so with 2 season with one of the best young QBs in the NFL he managed to have 1 WR get 1,000 yards. Kind of funny, but as a senior HErbert threw for 59.4% comp, 3151 yards, 7.8 per attempt, and 29 TDS. As a rookie in the NFL he threw for 66.7% comp, 4336, 7.3 per, and 30 TDS.. You dont see many examples of a rookie QB having arguably a better rookie season in the NFL than college

Edited by Codaxx
  • Hook 'Em 3

10 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

If there is a position to steal from Cristobal, WR maybe the easiest one. HE was HC at Oregon for 4 years. 

2018- 75 recp and 1184 yards Dillion Mitchell, #2 was 433 yards

2019- 37 catch and 837 yards led that team

2020- 25 catches and 286 yards led the team (7 games, ~41 yards per for the leadign WR isnt good)

2021- 35 catches and 557 yards (actually the RB led in receptions with 46)

Keep in mind Herbert was the QB in 2018 and 2019, so with 2 season with one of the best young QBs in the NFL he managed to have 1 WR get 1,000 yards. Kind of funny, but as a senior HErbert threw for 59.4% comp, 3151 yards, 7.8 per attempt, and 29 TDS. As a rookie in the NFL he threw for 66.7% comp, 4336, 7.3 per, and 30 TDS.. You dont see many examples of a rookie QB having arguably a better rookie season in the NFL than college

I hear that, but I think Tyler Van Dyke is likely to continue making their current crop of receivers look really good

18 minutes ago, AP101S said:

I haven't been in there but I would venture a guess that there are different sections for each sport.  He just happened to be in the section where the thousands of trophies for swimming and diving are located.

21 hours ago, closetojumping said:

This dipshit will wind up going somewhere like ATM, which has won one title in the same year Hitler invaded Poland. Or OU, where they last one a title a half decade beyond UT's. 

I will never understand why Texas even fucking bothers trying to recruit overhyped fuckwads from DeSoto where they're coached by that fuckface Claude Mathis.

calm down al pacino GIF

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 5

22 hours ago, closetojumping said:

This is a statement made out of ignorance and self-loathing as a fan.

Texas has won 4 titles in CFB in the era in which legitimate-ish titles were given. In terms of legitimate titles, that's in the top 10. No one can compare to Bama, then USC or ND on that front, and then there's a bunch of teams bunched between 3 and 7. Schools like Pitt and Michigan State and Tennessee claim a bunch of fake retroactive shit and if Texas did that, we'd be able to claim like 9-11 total.

Outside of that, Texas has titles in like 12 other fucking sports. They've dominated in a few sports, including S&D. Texas wins NTs almost every single year, including this school year. Very few schools outside of UT, Stanford, and whoever is dominating gymnastics or wrestling can claim any of that. 

This dipshit will wind up going somewhere like ATM, which has won one title in the same year Hitler invaded Poland. Or OU, where they last one a title a half decade beyond UT's. 

I will never understand why Texas even fucking bothers trying to recruit overhyped fuckwads from DeSoto where they're coached by that fuckface Claude Mathis.

After viewing what's available in this cycle, are you interested in Stroh being one of the 3-5 OLs that Texas takes? He's just not a guy that I can get excited about as a recruit.

Breh read the tweet again.  He is trying to kill all the dumb assery around his video claiming he was dissing Texas.  He is pointing out bringing in recruits like him will fill up the trophy case.  It's the whole point of recruiting.  

• Like 1

9 hours ago, GTJ1982 said:

Breh read the tweet again.  He is trying to kill all the dumb assery around his video claiming he was dissing Texas.  He is pointing out bringing in recruits like him will fill up the trophy case.  It's the whole point of recruiting.  

exactly!! Y’all are grown men and women. . Act like it

Humidor

Spoiler

TEAM

If you look closely you can see a team developing where the pieces to develop are in place -- that's mainly at positions that are still young or inexperienced, but also talented. Wide receiver, linebacker, and the secondary come to mind.

Early signs are already encouraging in the secondary, but given the amount of competition going on, they'll only continue to improve. With Kitan Crawford looking good early at field safety, the staff will look at JD Coffey at boundary to compete with Anthony Cook.

It's not there yet, but the secondary is close to having a viable two-deep.

On the flip side, the ability to develop along the lines is somewhat stunted. Texas went very big on the O-line and D-line in recruiting for a reason. Unfortunately, many of those key pieces aren't on campus yet. That ties into issues we continue to hear about edge play and the offense's inability to get the run game going.

Along those lines, Inside Texas talked to a source about the offensive line and what it means for next season. Essentially he said Texas is going to have to become more varied on offense. They need more intermediate passing game / option routes. They have the receivers to be dangerous at all three levels and need to get those guys in space. They won’t have the O-line to run it then throw it over the top, even with Bijan. They’re a year away from having the OL to do that. The young linemen will play and get better throughout the season but you can’t expect to start off the season dictating a play-action offense.

How Texas starts the season and finishes the season was a topic with a Big 12 source, one that does not want to see Texas succeed. This source thinks the Big 12 will come down to Baylor and Texas. He sees those two schools, albeit in a down conference, as a cut above. That's quite interesting if you look at the schedule, given UT and Baylor play the last game of the season. The source continued it would be best to get Texas early in the season.

The tier 2 teams were seen as Oklahoma State, Oklahoma, and Kansas State.

RECRUITING

Jalen Hale, WR, Longview (Texas):
After recent stops to Ohio State, Alabama, and Georgia, the 6-foot-2, 180-pound four-star is looking at spring visits to Texas and Texas A&M next.

Hale is set to see Austin on April 16th, as his relationship with Steve Sarkisian and Brennan Marion continues to bloom. Hale could be taking his officials this summer with a decision by the end of the summer.

It’s hard to say who leads here, but Hale is really fond of Nick Saban and Alabama. The Buckeyes and Bulldogs have his attention as well, but it’ll be interesting to see what he says following the in-state visits.

Hale continues to excel on the track with a wind-aided 10.56 100m and in the pit with 22-1 long-jump.

Markis Deal, IOL/DL, Garland (Texas) Naaman Forest: Inside Texas spoke with a source very close to the On3 Consensus four-star on Thursday. The source relayed that the schools currently in the best position with Deal are Texas, TCU, Oklahoma, USC and possibly Texas A&M. Deal will make a number of visits late in the spring and the first part of the summer before likely making a decision prior to the start of his senior season. Texas defensive line coach Bo Davis continues to have positive and productive conversations with Deal.

Derion Gullette, EDGE, Marlin (Texas): IT spoke with a source very close to the On3 Consensus four-star, and the word is that Gullette had a very good visit to Texas last week. The Longhorns remain very much in the hunt, along with Texas A&M and Alabama. He will take in the Texas A&M spring game Saturday. He is expected to make official visits late this spring or early summer to Notre Dame and Ohio State. He is also expected to make return trips to Texas and Texas A&M this summer before making a decision.

Braylan Shelby, EDGE, Friendswood (Texas): IT caught up with Shelby on Thursday night and the main takeaway was Texas and USC are very likely the leaders headed into a trip to Florida State and a return trip to Tennessee. Texas head coach Steve Sarkisian’s message to Shelby is simple.

“Whenever you are ready to call Texas home, just let him know.”

The USC visit blew Shelby away. He gave off a vibe of a person that absolutely loved the weather, the life in Los Angeles and the USC program under Lincoln Riley. With that said, that was his first ever trip to the West Coast.

Javien Toviano, CB, Arlington (Texas) Martin: One of the nation’s top corners hit College Station yesterday for an unofficial. This comes on the heels of missing his trip to Austin last Saturday. Not ideal, but IT is told he’ll look to make it back to Austin soon.

His next step is narrowing down his list of schools to a top eight. Texas, Texas A&M, Ohio State, and Alabama are certain to make the cut. His relationship with Sarkisian, coupled with former Martin teammates Morice Blackwell and Trevell Johnson both pushing the orange button gives the Longhorns life in this pursuit.

Toviano will be participating in the district track meet next Thursday at Sam Houston High School in Arlington.

Jamel Johnson, DB, Arlington (Texas) Seguin- Texas commit: The first commit for Texas in the 2023 cycle has already hit a few schools, including Arkansas last month. He’s scheduled to see Austin this weekend.

He still wants to see Michigan, Arizona State, LSU, Ole Miss, and USC. We could see him use his official trips this summer, so Texas fans just have to hold on loosely.

Makari Vickers, S, Tallahassee (Fla.) John Paul II Catholic: Texas continues to heavily recruit the On3 Consensus four-star defensive back out of the Sunshine State. IT spoke with Vickers on Friday morning, and the 6-foot-1, 189-pounder informed us that he spoke with Terry Joseph within the last week, and Sarkisian within the last two weeks. Texas is working to get Vickers back for the spring game (unlikely as of today), or for an official visit. Sarkisian has a strong connection to a person very close to Vickers. Texas is joined by Stanford and Oklahoma as the out of state top threats to hometown Florida State.

• Hook 'Em 3

On 4/6/2022 at 4:26 PM, ClubWhatever said:

I did myself the disservice of listening to their podcast on this topic.  Their argument is that the Manning’s are an SEC family and we won’t be in the SEC until at least 2 years.  Which on the face of it is stupid, since no matter where he goes he’s very unlikely to start his freshman year, putting him on the bench for what is likely our last year in the Big 12.  So, no, they did not appear to have any unique insight, other than the uniqueness of their stupidity. 

For your sacrifice in exposing yourself to heavy idiot fire in the face of the enema bags at AAS all in service to your fellow assholes at Surly.

spacer.png

• Haha 2

On the flip side, the ability to develop along the lines is somewhat stunted. Texas went very big on the O-line and D-line in recruiting for a reason. Unfortunately, many of those key pieces aren't on campus yet. That ties into issues we continue to hear about edge play and the offense's inability to get the run game going.

Along those lines, Inside Texas talked to a source about the offensive line and what it means for next season. Essentially he said Texas is going to have to become more varied on offense. They need more intermediate passing game / option routes. They have the receivers to be dangerous at all three levels and need to get those guys in space. They won’t have the O-line to run it then throw it over the top, even with Bijan. They’re a year away from having the OL to do that. The young linemen will play and get better throughout the season but you can’t expect to start off the season dictating a play-action offense.

@Burt Macklin hello

• Rage+1 1

4 hours ago, Hookem2147 said:

Can't believe LSU is going to let this dude leave their backyard and fall into our lap

Thank you, Brian Kelly.

They also let Christian Harris and Travis Etienne leave the state without a fight 

On 4/7/2022 at 7:55 AM, Hornlover said:

C'mon, can't I hold onto the hope that Chris Gilbert will use his connections to build a DeSoto pipeline? Lancaster and SOC both practically border DeSoto.

They don’t “practically” border DeSoto. They border Desoto. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Dbeasy said:

Without going into too much detail, Texas has screwed up on this recruitment. Things don’t look good here right now. 

Sigh. Well they do seem to be in on quite a few edge guys. Need to close on a few to go along with Spencer and just see if they can mend fences with Vasek as the cycle goes on.

5 hours ago, Dbeasy said:

Without going into too much detail, Texas has screwed up on this recruitment. Things don’t look good here right now. 

Screwed up or not prioritizing? He probably feels like a secondary/fall back option, but wants to be recruited like a front line guy. 

I don’t hear much about this guy even though they offered him during junior day. Also don’t feel like he gets the same effort that they give greathouse. 

• Hook 'Em 1

14 minutes ago, Hornlover said:

dont_have_maps.gif.6465c5600286ddc184f5d3cefa162902.gif

Billy Madison Shut Up GIF
if you listen to her entire answer I swear to Christ you lose a couple IQ points. Which I can’t afford at this point. If you read that last sentence then thought about my posting history and nodded your head yes…I’ll send out a preemptive fuck you.  Lol 

8 hours ago, Dbeasy said:

A Texas legacy not picking Texas!?

spacer.png

Edited by TXRed

12 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I guess I am more rooting for the angry Westlake honks lamenting not getting him than I am rooting for his undersized ass to show up and smear mediocrity all over the field for 4 years while watching confused Westlake honks lament the lack of performance based almost certainly off of bad coaching. 

Same. Westlake honks are the honkiest honks.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

37 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I guess I am more rooting for the angry Westlake honks lamenting not getting him than I am rooting for his undersized ass to show up and smear mediocrity all over the field for 4 years while watching confused Westlake honks lament the lack of performance based almost certainly off of bad coaching. 

you had me at smear mediocrity