Texas Recruiting Notes 2023: Strippers, Monkeys, and 5-Stars

Machinator

Just now, Hookem2147 said:

Maybe in previous cycles we somehow steal him, but with Miami and Florida finally getting their heads out of their asses I don't see a way that kid leaves the state.

But I thought it was in previous cycles that we didn't get players like him?

Thiefery makes a good point: Bijan + NIL, Heisman candidate discussed as the #1 RB in next year's draft cruising around Austin in a lime Lambo... that's nothing we had back in the Trey Sanders days of recruiting RBs. 

• Hook 'Em 3

28 minutes ago, Thiefery said:

Sure helps that we got Bijan in '20, his success on the field and OFF the field with his NIL branding is a PLUS.  Why wouldn't RBs want to come here and have the chance of being the feature back for Texas (and all the possibilities it can bring, financially)?

Counterpoint:

As of late, it sounds like Texas A&M has some momentum with Owens. A big reason for that, I’m told, is that his mother really liked College Station and their visit experiences there. She did come to Texas with Owens in the spring and enjoyed the trip, but reading the tea leaves, I think she prefers A&M a bit more.

30 minutes ago, Big Woodrows said:

As of May 2, UL thinks they can get him for $150K. I was surprised it was that low, but I'm not involved in any of that. I lived in Louisville for several years and I just happen to know a UL guy that helps arrange these things, FWIW.

18 minutes ago, AP101S said:

As of May 2, UL thinks they can get him for $150K. I was surprised it was that low, but I'm not involved in any of that. I lived in Louisville for several years and I just happen to know a UL guy that helps arrange these things, FWIW.

Well, the owners of one of the larger car dealerships in town are UT alumns. On the downside, (Papa) John Schnatter is not.

As of late, it sounds like Texas A&M has some momentum with Owens. A big reason for that, I’m told, is that his mother really liked College Station and their visit experiences there. She did come to Texas with Owens in the spring and enjoyed the trip, but reading the tea leaves, I think she prefers A&M a bit more. 

"Visit experiences."

"A bit more."

Recruiting has more code words than politics.

• Hook 'Em 3

Owens is from El Campo. where there are strong aggy vibes all around. He probably doesn't know what a Lambo even is (unless one of those old farmers has an actual Lamborghini tractor). It's an easy place for bags to drop. That we've been in it this long is amazing, tbh. 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, Bevo14 said:

Malik Allen is a real person, sir.

39 minutes ago, Sgt. Slaughter said:

spacer.png

I don't know this Malik. I don't know what he does and I don't know what he lives on. Why don't you tell him that a commitment is out of the question and you don't want to see him anymore? He'll understand, believe me.

56 minutes ago, JesusSweatDuck said:

Greathouse seems like an ideal Turtle Tom WR. Not sure he really fits what Sark is after unless he becomes a receiving TE

But I am not sure Garrett Wilson would be his type either as he wasn't known as a speedster in high school. He did run a 4.38 at the combine though. And fuck Garrett Wilson.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

Fun fact, Wilson was the third leg in the LT 4x100 (jr yr I think) and received the baton from one Hudson Card. 

I don’t remember him as a track guy, but he was running 4.6 which is what half of our current board runs, Cook included. Wilson is actually a good “best case scenario” for what Cook could be developmentally. Wilson is more athletic, but at the same point I think Cook does more receiver things than Wilson did. Regardless, Sark would fucking love Garrett Wilson. This was the scenic route to calling you stupid. 

What made GW special as a recruit were his ball skills and route running. He doesn't play like a 4.38 guy, but he's not slow out there.

Arch dump

On3

Spoiler

New Orleans Isidore Newman Five-Star Plus+ quarterback Arch Manning opened spring practice on Monday after an eventful spring, which included visits to Alabama, Georgia and Texas.

Manning, the No. 1 overall recruit in the 2023 cycle, according to the On3 Consensus, has no timeline for a decision but is moving closer to figuring out his next steps. He’s likely to see a few more schools this summer, including some official visits, and then re-examine his next move.

“I’m trying to get there,” Manning told On3 of making his decision.

“I want to get through this spring with this new offense and new coaches (at Newman), so after spring I’m gonna see about the official visits.”

“It’s kind of getting closer,” he continued. “I don’t really have a point yet, but I guess it’s kind of narrowing down. I’m looking forward to (making a decision) either before the season or during the season or after the season. If I was ready I’d commit right now I would, so I’m just waiting.”

Manning told On3 that Texas, Alabama and Georgia are all under consideration and he’s planning visits to see both LSU and Florida. Here’s more from the Five-Star Plus+ quarterback:

On Texas: “Maintaining the relationship with those guys (Steve Sarkisian, AJ Milwee); staying in touch over normal conversations has been good. The visit to Austin, we got to see practice and see what it’s all about. We sat in the quarterback meeting. It was fun to see how they interacted and I’m excited to see what they can do this year. They got a few transfers from Alabama and I think that offense can be explosive. Austin is a big city compared to the other two, so it reminds me a little bit of New Orleans. It’s a little weird, and they’ve got good coaches there.”

On Alabama: “Those coaches are all good guys. Alabama is a machine and everyone knows it. They practice hard, and they have dudes all over the place. They got a few good transfers and I’m excited to see that. Alabama has recently been able to have high quarterback play, so that’s been fun to watch and fun to look at in terms of making a decision.”

On Georgia: “I love coach Kirby (Smart) and he’s a real normal guy, a great coach. Georgia, the takeaway from practice there, is that they have athletes all over the field, especially on the defensive line. They have some studs and it shows; they had 15 players drafted. Athens is probably the best college town I’ve ever been to. The coaches are all good people, they know how to win, know what it takes, and it was cool seeing that.”

On Florida: “I’ve had a few conversations with Florida. I’ve heard a lot of good things about Coach (Billy) Napier, so I might want to get check and see what they’re all about.”

On LSU: “Coach (Brian) Kelly knows how to win … he’s won everywhere he goes pretty much. I have a former teammate, Bo (Bordelon), so he’s going up there this summer and I want to check him out, see how he does in practice and I’ll probably go up there for a game.”

Spoiler

Spoke with Arch for an extended amount of time and will put together a Mike at Night at the airport. Here are some bullet points.

Manning doesn’t have officials scheduled but said Texas, Bama and Georgia will be there of the likely schools to get one.

He said he has no timeline for a decision and if he knew where he wanted to go he’d be committed by now.

He mentioned performance on the field would be something he was watching for at Texas and said his decision could go into the fall.

Recruits he keeps in touch with include Rueben Owens, Harris Sewell, Johntay Cook and Kadyn Proctor.

I’ll have more detail when I get to my gate.

Rivals

Spoiler

NEW ORLEANS — Monday marked the first day of spring practice for five-star quarterback Arch Manning and his Isidore Newman Greenies team, as he touched the field publicly for the first time since the fall.

His development over the offseason was on full display as his filled-out lower body showed a lot of potential along with his quick release and delivery.

"It was good to get out here with the young guys," Manning said. "Balls were kind of flying around early, but it was fun. It's more serious this year and I like it a lot. Everyone is eager to learn, and it's exciting."

The question around Manning's recruitment moving closer to the summer has been what schools will land official visits. While the third-generation member of the first family of quarterbacks hasn't yet set any dates, he does have his eyes on three schools that will certainly land official trips.

"I think Texas, Alabama and Georgia will all get official visits," he said. "That's probably it right now."

All three of those programs are places he has been to many times, but this time around he plans on asking the tough questions to separate one from the pack.

"I think I want to ask questions I haven't asked before and ask questions that in recruiting you wouldn't say and you wouldn't hear neither," he said. "I want to ask the hard questions to help with the decision."

Despite a 5-7 record in 2021, Texas has seen some momentum in this recruitment in the media because of Manning's relationship with Steve Sarkisian and quarterbacks coach AJ Milwee.

"It was Coach Sark's first year with a whole new roster that he hadn't recruited," Manning said. "It's definitely hard to go in and be successful. I'm looking forward to see what they can do this year, that's kind of my deciding factor there. A year under his belt to see what he can do now."

Georgia has done a solid job with Manning and his family on previous trips to Athens, and Kirby Smart continues to show that development is big with the defending national champions.

"They have a really good staff and they have athletes all over the place," Manning said. "Whether it's o-line, defense, they got 15 guys drafted. I'm looking forward to seeing what they do with quarterbacks this year and just build those relationships some more."

Alabama has seen consistent success at the quarterback position for the last half-decade with Tua Tagovailoa, Mac Jones and now Bryce Young, and it has Manning interested in the "machine" that is the Crimson Tide.

"Their quarterback play has been insane the past couple of years with Bryce, Mac, Tua, so there's nothing really bad about Alabama," he said. "It's a machine and there's really good guys over there. I'm looking forward to building those relationships a little bit more and see Tuscaloosa one more time."

While some have speculated a late summer decision with Manning, the five-star says that he is still waiting to see some more from his top contenders, including things on the field.

"If I knew where I was going, I'd be committed right now," Manning said. "I just gotta figure stuff out right now."

ANALYST'S TAKE
I think the biggest takeaway from Monday's access with Manning is that fans should start preparing for his decision to get pushed into the fall. His dialogue continues to show that he is anticipating what is to come during the season with some of his top contenders.

As for a leader, it's safe to say there is not a clear one.

Texas is a school that probably peaks his interest the most, but on-field performance in 2022 will dictate how the Longhorns finish in his recruitment. If Steve Sarkisian's crew comes out hot to start the season, especially with a strong performance at home against Alabama, then I could see Manning picking the Longhorns.

However, that is far from a given. Alabama and Georgia are once again primed for big seasons on the field, and the lurking first-year staffs at LSU and Florida continue to do work in the shadows. If Texas comes out flat and does not meet expectations, I see Georgia and Alabama battling towards the end with Georgia having the slight advantage at the moment.

As always, there is a ton of fluidity in recruiting. And just because this is arguably the most high-profile recruitment in history, that does not mean that Manning's recruitment is any different. Quarterbacks rarely pick a team, they pick a system, and there is still a lot of moving pieces to each puzzle of Manning's contenders moving into the summer.

Edited by Ill
  • Hook 'Em 2

4 hours ago, Big Woodrows said:

image.thumb.png.907e32ad7f525c6a9d68564dfce59cc2.png

So Nahlin thinks the replacement for Greathouse in our class might be a lightly recruited, undersized TE that also just happens to be friends with Arch? Not sure if that says more about Greathouse or Nahlin. 

1 hour ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

Fun fact, Wilson was the third leg in the LT 4x100 (jr yr I think) and received the baton from one Hudson Card. 

I don’t remember him as a track guy, but he was running 4.6 which is what half of our current board runs, Cook included. Wilson is actually a good “best case scenario” for what Cook could be developmentally. Wilson is more athletic, but at the same point I think Cook does more receiver things than Wilson did. Regardless, Sark would fucking love Garrett Wilson. This was the scenic route to calling you stupid. 

Did they ever drop the baton because of Card’s tiny hands?

• Haha 5

2 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Arch has mastered the ‘say nice things about all the schools recruiting me and don’t give away my timeline’ part of his recruitment 

Not true. According to that On3 update, he’s going to decide “either before the season or during the season or after the season”. Not sure how he can be more clear than that. 

• Haha 5

Owens is from El Campo. where there are strong aggy vibes all around. He probably doesn't know what a Lambo even is (unless one of those old farmers has an actual Lamborghini tractor). It's an easy place for bags to drop. That we've been in it this long is amazing, tbh. 
If Arch commits to Texas the sheep humpers will have to raise the bag to ridiculous numbers.
  • Hook 'Em 1

52 minutes ago, tokamak said:

Not true. According to that On3 update, he’s going to decide “either before the season or during the season or after the season”. Not sure how he can be more clear than that. 

Hey, at least we know "simultaneously before, during, and after the season" is off the table.

• Haha 1