Texas Recruiting Notes 2023: Strippers, Monkeys, and 5-Stars

Machinator

1 minute ago, Hornlover said:

It's close, but the difference between 10.24 and sub-10 is huge.

At the US Olympic trials finals from last year:

Men’s 100m
1. Trayvon Bromell — 9.80
2. Ronnie Baker — 9.85
3. Fred Kerley — 9.86
4. Kenny Bednarek — 9.89 (qualifies for relay)
5. Micah Williams — 9.91 (qualifies for relay)
6. Cravon Gillespie — 10.00 (qualifies for relay)
7. Noah Lyles — 10.05
8. Justin Gatlin — 10.87

oh.

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Hornlover said:

It's close, but the difference between 10.24 and sub-10 is huge.

At the US Olympic trials finals from last year:

Men’s 100m
1. Trayvon Bromell — 9.80
2. Ronnie Baker — 9.85
3. Fred Kerley — 9.86
4. Kenny Bednarek — 9.89 (qualifies for relay)
5. Micah Williams — 9.91 (qualifies for relay)
6. Cravon Gillespie — 10.00 (qualifies for relay)
7. Noah Lyles — 10.05
8. Justin Gatlin — 10.87

High school kid would have been 8th. Guessing with full training, gets to 5th at least if not faster. He’s going to be a problem.

2 minutes ago, The Beast said:

High school kid would have been 8th. Guessing with full training, gets to 5th at least if not faster. He’s going to be a problem.

I mean, Gatlin clearly had an issue. That's like saying you'd have "beaten" a real F1 driver in any given race by driving slowly around the track and not crashing.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, texifornia said:

I mean, Gatlin clearly had an issue. That's like saying you'd have "beaten" a real F1 driver in any given race by driving slowly around the track and not crashing.

You don't think there's > 0.8s difference between the 7th- and 8th-fastest guys in the country? I guess that's one line of thought

2 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Look at the gaps between 1-7, that that .8s gap, and use your brain. 

Also, Gatlin's best time is 9.74.

Lol. Surely you realized mine read as sarcasm. There have to be more than 100 times clocked nationally between hs/college/aspiring Olympian sprinters logged in 2021 between the 7th place time and Brendan's 10.24 or whatever it was

Edited by TommyGufano
  • Hook 'Em 1

Just now, TommyGufano said:

Lol. Surely you realized mine read as sarcasm. There have to be more than 300 times clocked nationally between hs/college/aspiring Olympian sprinters logged in 2021 between the 7th place time and Brendan's 10.24 or whatever it was

Hah, yep, already fixed it.

2 hours ago, texifornia said:

Not exactly what I'd picture if you told me we offered a kid from Idaho Falls. Time for Choate to use his Mountain West connections.

PK > Idaho Kid < Choate

S A M M I C H

35 minutes ago, ATexanAbroad said:

No you racist

ABECCD5A-1BDC-4A3C-9F41-24C0F19845EF.gif

Late night HUDdle: Notes from day one of UIL State Track

Hudson Standish

(Regarding the last guy - Hunter Osborne - we do have another DL from his high school on our roster ... )

Spoiler

Hudson Standish

— 2023 El Campo running back Rueben Owens was the first Texas target we saw competing today and the five star didn’t disappoint, grabbing third in the 4A Long Jump with a 23 footer. Owens mentioned that he didn’t start jumping until four meets into track season and was incredibly happy to get on the podium because he just runs track to improve in the offseason and have fun.

Owens is still in the process of figuring out official visits other than an already scheduled Georgia trip. The five star is also considering taking an unofficial to Texas while he’s in town for state track this weekend.

Owens said he might push back his decision date and is tentatively looking at Texas vs. Alabama in September as a potential fall official visit.

—2024 Daingerfield ATH Aeryn Hampton was the lead leg for the Tigers’ 4x100 relay and mentioned that he prefers to play on the offensive side of the ball in college, even though that’s quite a ways away.

— Texas signee Brenen Thompson was the star of today’s events electrifying the crowd with gold performances in the 100m (10.24) and 200m (20.73), which would have set 3A meet records if they were wind legal.

Thompson told Horns 247 after the two first place finishes that it was extra special to win both golds on the Texas campus as a signed player and that he is incredibly excited for the future of Texas football.

One last note for the night, I mentioned last week that Texas had a better shot than most expected for No. 115 overall player Hunter Osborne if they recruited with urgency and the word I’ve gotten back from Osborne has been incredibly encouraging with Steve Sarkisian already in contact with him. Don’t discount the Horns in this recruitment even though they’re battling national powers who were in on Osborne much earlier in the process.

13 minutes ago, Getafix said:

Hudson Standish

(Regarding the last guy - Hunter Osborne - we do have another DL from his high school on our roster ... )

Reveal hidden contents

Hudson Standish

— 2023 El Campo running back Rueben Owens was the first Texas target we saw competing today and the five star didn’t disappoint, grabbing third in the 4A Long Jump with a 23 footer. Owens mentioned that he didn’t start jumping until four meets into track season and was incredibly happy to get on the podium because he just runs track to improve in the offseason and have fun.

Owens is still in the process of figuring out official visits other than an already scheduled Georgia trip. The five star is also considering taking an unofficial to Texas while he’s in town for state track this weekend.

Owens said he might push back his decision date and is tentatively looking at Texas vs. Alabama in September as a potential fall official visit.

—2024 Daingerfield ATH Aeryn Hampton was the lead leg for the Tigers’ 4x100 relay and mentioned that he prefers to play on the offensive side of the ball in college, even though that’s quite a ways away.

— Texas signee Brenen Thompson was the star of today’s events electrifying the crowd with gold performances in the 100m (10.24) and 200m (20.73), which would have set 3A meet records if they were wind legal.

Thompson told Horns 247 after the two first place finishes that it was extra special to win both golds on the Texas campus as a signed player and that he is incredibly excited for the future of Texas football.

One last note for the night, I mentioned last week that Texas had a better shot than most expected for No. 115 overall player Hunter Osborne if they recruited with urgency and the word I’ve gotten back from Osborne has been incredibly encouraging with Steve Sarkisian already in contact with him. Don’t discount the Horns in this recruitment even though they’re battling national powers who were in on Osborne much earlier in the process.

He dropped a top 10 in March (well before Texas offer) so we'll see what this is.

• Hook 'Em 1

Mike at Night: Notes on a trio of Austin Westlake prospects with Texas offers

Mike Roach

Spoiler

Mike at Night: Notes on a trio of Austin Westlake prospects with Texas offers

Mike Roach

— Westlake wide receiver Jaden Greathouse has his official visits set. He will take his trips in June to see Oklahoma, South Carolina, Notre Dame and Texas before making a pre-season decision. Greathouse is extremely familiar with Texas and said he's got a great relationship with the entire staff mentioning AJ Milwee, Steve Sarkisian and Brennan Marion. Greathouse also said he texts regularly with Arch Manning and the two are good friends. Greathouse also mentioned that if Manning were to pick Texas, it would be big for his recruitment. The Longhorns will get the last visit for the four-star wide receiver and he said he's looking to compare all of the other programs he sees with the Longhorns since he's been there so often.

— Westlake EDGE Colton Vasek looked great in practice today using his length and hands superbly. He's also extremely adept at tipping passes at the line and intercepting them. Vasek has a list of top schools coming and asked us to keep those quiet for now, but all of his visits are scheduled for the summer. Texas has been coming on strong lately and he said he recently had a great conversation with Pete Kwiatkowski about his fit and future in the college game. Vasek is getting a lot o fcontact from the big boys of college football including Alabama and Georgia along with Oregon.

— TJ Shanahan is in no particular hurry with his recruitment. The four-star offensive lineman said he's close to releasing a Top 10, and I think the Longhorns will make it. Kyle Flood recently visited Westlake and Shanahan spoke to Sark for a while just a few days ago. I still think it's probably a bit of a longshot for Texas as things stand right now with schools like Texas A&M and LSU grabbing a lot of the attention in his recruitment. Still, recruiting is a game of surviving cuts, and the Longhorns just need to keep chipping away.

On 5/11/2022 at 2:55 PM, closetojumping said:

Clemson:

-There's a legitimate shot that Swinney is fucking lost at this point. Head up his ass level naïve about NIL and the portal. There are a lot of people around the sport wondering what in the fuck Clemson is doing, because they're mostly acting like this is still 2015. 

very interested to see how this stuff impacts Dabo >> Bama whenever Saban rides into the lake sunset. friends of friends who are involved in the program at Bama (low level) swear that Dabo is the only replacement and have said it for years.

replacing a legend is hard, especially when you consider Bama's coaching hit rate over the last ~25 years is roughly in line with ours.

last few hires before Saban were Mike DuBose, Fran, Mike Price, Mike Shula (won an amazing 30% of games he coached and 21% of conf games) and the GOAT.

honestly, their hiring hires since Bear Bryant were pretty not great. from 83 to 2006 they won 2 conference championships and 1 National Championship in 92. for comparison, Texas since McWilliams was hired in 87 at least had coaches win CCs (McWilliams won 1, Macovic won 3, Mack 2)

• Hook 'Em 1

If Saban had retired 2 years ago, I would have bet my house on it being Dabo. Obviously a lot less sure now.  That typed, seems too soon to write him off. 

What’s interesting, looking at his career, is he went 6-7 in year 3. Guys that go 6-7 in year 3 in this day and age are getting their asses fired. 

Just now, tokamak said:

If Saban had retired 2 years ago, I would have bet my house on it being Dabo. Obviously a lot less sure now.  That typed, seems too soon to write him off. 

What’s interesting, looking at his career, is he went 6-7 in year 3. Guys that go 6-7 in year 3 in this day and age are getting their asses fired. 

Clemson and their Clemsoning was the joke of college football. Well, besides the constant joke that is aggy.

1 hour ago, tokamak said:

In my wildest dreams, Bill O'Brien or Jimbo Fisher succeeds Nick Saban.

• Drool 2

2 hours ago, NoName said:

very interested to see how this stuff impacts Dabo >> Bama whenever Saban rides into the lake sunset. friends of friends who are involved in the program at Bama (low level) swear that Dabo is the only replacement and have said it for years.

1 hour ago, tokamak said:

53 minutes ago, UDontKnow said:

In my wildest dreams, Bill O'Brien or Jimbo Fisher succeeds Nick Saban.

It feels like Napier is auditioning for the part at Florida. I know people have long said Dabo but if I was betting on it right now I'd put my money on Napier, assuming he doesn't flame out at Florida.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, golfclap said:

It feels like Napier is auditioning for the part at Florida. I know people have long said Dabo but if I was betting on it right now I'd put my money on Napier, assuming he doesn't flame out at Florida.

Does Napier have deep roots in Alabama? Because if he gets the Florida program operating a full capacity, that’s pretty much a destination job in its own right. The in-state talent is better, although the administration may see itself as too much of an academic institution to fully “support” the football program in the same way that Bama does. 

4 minutes ago, Duane Moore said:

Does Napier have deep roots in Alabama? Because if he gets the Florida program operating a full capacity, that’s pretty much a destination job in its own right. The in-state talent is better, although the administration may see itself as too much of an academic institution to fully “support” the football program in the same way that Bama does. 

Napier coached under Saban at Bama for several years I believe. Probably doesn’t count as “deep roots” but he was there for 3 or 4 years.

Edited by Hookem2147

Humidor

Spoiler

The Humidor dives into when Arch Manning could make his decision, drops a few notes on 2023 and 2024 offensive line recruiting, talks with two 2023 prospects, and offers a few details on the pursuit of a talented Big 12 transfer guard.

When will Arch decide?
The sense we’re gathering is the recruitment of New Orleans (La.) Isidore Newman Five-Star Plus+ quarterback Arch Manning is nearing resolution. IT has maintained a summer timeline and still believe that’s easily most likely.

Texas coaches will be at Isidore Newman today. IT believes the goal will be to get Manning in for an official visit in June and we expect that to be discussed today.

Because the fabled Manning Passing Academy is scheduled for the June 25th weekend, it’s much more likely Arch will make his official visit the weekend before. That assumes he’ll take official visits, but that’s a safe assumption.

We have three predictions in for Manning to ultimately select Texas. Even given that, our confidence continues to grow.

Given the nature of this recruitment, it’s truly a puzzle to put together. The more puzzle pieces the more clear the picture. We feel we have this mostly pieced together but Georgia does remain a threat.

Harris Sewell, OL, Odessa (Texas) Permian
The 6-foot-4, 310-pound four-star is getting used to seeing Kyle Flood. After seeing Flood and AJ Milwee the first day coaches were on the road last month, the Texas offensive line coach returned to Permian this week. 

Sewell has an official visit scheduled for Clemson in June, and is looking at other summer visits including Texas, Oklahoma, and Texas A&M. I get the sense Sewell would prefer to trip to Austin when Manning makes his official. 

Offensive line recruiting
Ahead of the late May and June official visits, IT continues to hear Texas is receiving positive vibes from On300 Ian Reed and On3 Consensus three-stars Andre Cojoe and Connor Stroh. IT is not as bullish on Stroh, but Flood does still have the best prospect-coach relationship with the Frisco native

Texas is right there for On3 Consensus four-star Jaydon Chatman. One parent loves the idea of being “right down the road” at Texas. 

In making some calls on 2024 OL prospects, it looks like June 11th is a day being talked about by Texas with prospects to come to Austin for a visit. IT believes 4A shot put champion and Lindale (Texas) OL Casey Poe will be one prospect that could be offered in June. Copperas Cove (Texas) OL Michael Uini is another likely in to be offered in June. 

Anthony Hill, LB, Denton (Texas) Ryan
Hills, the No. 14 overall prospect according to the On3 Consensus, has finally set his official visits. 

The 6-foot-2, 228-pounder will hit Oklahoma on June 3-5, Alabama on June 10-12, USC on June 17-19, Texas on June 24-26, and Texas A&M on July 29-31. 

Hill was originally slated to take a few summer officials then stretch out a few more during the season. But it appears the family is preparing for a decision. Hill has been recruited for three years and it seems the process could be in the final stages. 

Texas has built a tremendous relationship with Hill, with help from former Ryan Raider and current UT tight end Ja’Tavion Sanders and 2022 Texas signee Austin Jordan. 

OU has made an strong impression and the Aggies continue to pursue. USC and Alabama will make strong pitches, but this probably comes down to Texas, Oklahoma, and Texas A&M. 

Mikal Harrison-Pilot, ATH, Temple (Texas) 
At 6-foot-0, 190 pounds, the four-star athlete plays on both sides of the ball for the Wildcats, but prefers wide receiver at the next level. 

For Harrison-Pilot, his insistence on playing offense has a handful of schools, like Oklahoma, Cal, UH, and Texas, all currently in a solid position. The Sooners are possibly a quiet leader. He’ll visit all again in some capacity, officially or unofficially. 

Texas shifted Harrison-Pilot’s primary contact from Blake Gideon to Brennan Marion. That defense-to-offense shift made an impression on Harrison-Pilot. He loves Texas, he tells IT, and feels close to Steve Sarkisian’s staff. And just because he prefers offense, MHP also mentioned he’d play on defense at the right program in the proper circumstance. 

At the end of the day, this recruitment is scheduled to go into December, with Harrison-Pilot splitting official visits between the summer and the fall. The team that pushes with the most consistency will have the best shot. 

Huge hoops recruiting weekend on the 40
Iowa State transfer point guard Tyrese Hunter will arrive in Austin on Friday night, and begin his two-day visit on Saturday. He will have two full days with the staff, Saturday and Sunday. Texas’ main competition seems to be Louisville and Tennessee. IT is not counting Gonzaga out either. Purdue, Tennessee and Gonzaga have already hosted Hunter.

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, Hornius Emeritus said:

Were I a recruit I'd include Texas in my favorites every single time because of the perception that Texas has so much money to spend. In other words, I'd use Texas even if I had absolutely no intention of ever coming here.

Hunter is coming to the 40 acres ... book it!

17 minutes ago, Hornius Emeritus said:

Were I a recruit I'd include Texas in my favorites every single time because of the perception that Texas has so much money to spend. In other words, I'd use Texas even if I had absolutely no intention of ever coming here.

I think a lot of recruits do exactly that.