Texas Recruiting Notes 2023: Strippers, Monkeys, and 5-Stars

Machinator

10 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

The high rated EDGE/LB from Utah that had the volleyball sister at Nebraska has officially committed/transferred to Texas.

I assume you mean the sister committed, not the edge player? Link?

Edit: just saw the link.

Edited by UTEE97

Sunday recruiting brunch: Notes from the weekend

Hudson Standish

Phil Hartman Reaction GIF

Spoiler

Hudson Standish

— I caught up with a source to get the latest on Shiner high four-star ATH Dalton Brooks after he competed at the 2A state track meet this weekend. I got similar feedback to the last update, Brooks still plans for a near National Signing Day decision with the possibility of shutting it down in the summer if the timing feels right.

The intel I’ve gathered leads me to believe that he’ll take the majority of official visits during the fall and will remain uncommitted into the fall. Texas A&M still is the school with the most buzz right now but as I’ve said for nearly a year with Brooks, his cousin and Texas Longhorn running back Jonathon Brooks is doing an amazing job recruiting him and showing him the benefits of being a Texas Longhorn. In addition to Texas A&M, the Alabama Crimson Tide have recently been out to Shiner and continue to push hard for the small school standout’s services.

— I talked with a source about offensive line targets on the board and heard good things about two of Mike and I’s favorite targets in Ian Reed and Jaydon Chatman. The current read (no pun intended) was that Reed is heading into official visit season pretty open minded but the two schools that seem to be consistently mentioned as potential landing spots are Clemson and Texas. As for Chatman, we still feel that Texas is the leader and I will likely join in on Mike’s Texas crystal ball if the current trend line holds steady.

— Mike will likely have more later in the week, but we heard an incredibly positive update about a 2023 linebacker on the Texas board that we didn’t have penciled into the class prior to this weekend. Hope everybody has a great Sunday, getting closer to 100 days until kickoff.

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, Getafix said:

Hudson Standish

Phil Hartman Reaction GIF

Reveal hidden contents

Hudson Standish

— I caught up with a source to get the latest on Shiner high four-star ATH Dalton Brooks after he competed at the 2A state track meet this weekend. I got similar feedback to the last update, Brooks still plans for a near National Signing Day decision with the possibility of shutting it down in the summer if the timing feels right.

The intel I’ve gathered leads me to believe that he’ll take the majority of official visits during the fall and will remain uncommitted into the fall. Texas A&M still is the school with the most buzz right now but as I’ve said for nearly a year with Brooks, his cousin and Texas Longhorn running back Jonathon Brooks is doing an amazing job recruiting him and showing him the benefits of being a Texas Longhorn. In addition to Texas A&M, the Alabama Crimson Tide have recently been out to Shiner and continue to push hard for the small school standout’s services.

— I talked with a source about offensive line targets on the board and heard good things about two of Mike and I’s favorite targets in Ian Reed and Jaydon Chatman. The current read (no pun intended) was that Reed is heading into official visit season pretty open minded but the two schools that seem to be consistently mentioned as potential landing spots are Clemson and Texas. As for Chatman, we still feel that Texas is the leader and I will likely join in on Mike’s Texas crystal ball if the current trend line holds steady.

— Mike will likely have more later in the week, but we heard an incredibly positive update about a 2023 linebacker on the Texas board that we didn’t have penciled into the class prior to this weekend. Hope everybody has a great Sunday, getting closer to 100 days until kickoff.

Now THAT’S how to $9.95… 

• Haha 2

Texas should run an annual football camp somewhere in the polynesian islands - Samoa, Tonga, or Hawaii - and then another one in west Africa - Nigeria or Ivory Coast. Make it for junior high kids. Even if it has to be unaffiliated but run by ex Texas athletes or something.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, TommyGufano said:

Sooo... the vball player's brother, Gullette or Hill? Any other LB's on the radar?

1 hour ago, westexhorn said:

Might be Gullette?

1 hour ago, cafe society said:

Hill = cut and set white sapphire, ready to wear?  Gullette = large, uncut diamond?  Akana = tourniquet?

1 hour ago, Hookem2147 said:

Could be this guy out of Hawaii. We made his top 8 a few months back and I think he’s talked about making a visit this summer.

https://247sports.com/player/liona-lefau-46112081/

Are these jokes? Wasn’t the entire page about good 2023 linebacker news? The hell?

https://247sports.com/player/tausili-akana-46086671/

247 has him listed as a lb and ranked as an edge. He’s literally the ideal edge prospect imo 

3 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

Are these jokes? Wasn’t the entire page about good 2023 linebacker news? The hell?

https://247sports.com/player/tausili-akana-46086671/

247 has him listed as a lb and ranked as an edge. He’s literally the ideal edge prospect imo 

Standish said in the comments that it wasn't Akana and he is considered an edge prospect. Also said it wasn't Gullette.

Edited by Hookem2147
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Hookem2147 said:

Standish said in the comments that it wasn't Akana and he is considered an edge prospect.

11 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

Pretty sure it is the Utah linebacker with the volleyball sister. Sister just transferred to Texas.

image.jpeg.e1f97376dd893d37829f6c8c72fb4f14.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 4

5 hours ago, Getafix said:

Hide contents

— I talked with a source about offensive line targets on the board and heard good things about two of Mike and I’s favorite targets in Ian Reed and Jaydon Chatman. 

In case anyone was wondering, “I’s” is not a possessive word. At least not in English. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

23 minutes ago, cochamps said:

Was a man’s name back in the the day (Gone With the Wind) that was co-opted as a girl’s name more recently.

One of the baddest dudes I know, name is Ashley. Watched him chunk a dude and tangle him all up in a barbwire fence after a fight at a pasture party once. Fucking animal. No one gave him shit about his name. 

47 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

One of the baddest dudes I know, name is Ashley. Watched him chunk a dude and tangle him all up in a barbwire fence after a fight at a pasture party once. Fucking animal. No one gave him shit about his name. 

Misspelling barbed wire fence, attending pasture parties, having sex with animals?

Aggy confirmed.

Edited by Hornlover
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, fattyflattie said:

I wasn't familiar with pasture parties, so I looked it up.

https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Pasture Party

Say it ain't so!

5 hours ago, SL Xpress said:

Texas should run an annual football camp somewhere in the polynesian islands - Samoa, Tonga, or Hawaii - and then another one in west Africa - Nigeria or Ivory Coast. Make it for junior high kids. Even if it has to be unaffiliated but run by ex Texas athletes or something.

B020F8F4-2107-48B0-9C60-7DC31110994F.gif

The Stampede: Confidence board on 2023 offensive targets
MIKE ROACH

Slow Motion Smoking GIF

Spoiler

The Stampede: Confidence board on 2023 offensive targets
MIKE ROACH

The summer is almost here and with it the next phase of the 2023 recruiting cycle. Since summer official visits were introduced a few years ago, the month of June has become a big one in the recruiting world.

Over the next month and a half, a large wave of the 2023 class will begin to officially visit campuses, whittle down their list of top schools and make commitments. For a lot of schools, the end of summer has become a benchmark to see where the class is at before beginning to push into the fall.

The Longhorns are ramping up for a big summer with several of their top targets looking to make decisions before the season starts. What could the class look like by the time we get to week one of the season?

In this week's edition of The Stampede, Horns247's weekly gathering of recruiting intel, we give you the confidence board on where the Longhorns stand with several offensive prospects 

Arch Manning, QB, New Orleans (LA.) Isidore Newman

Since making my first trip out to New Orleans to see Manning a year ago, I’ve felt pretty strong about where the Longhorns stand in this recruitment. As we head into the summer, we will see if Texas can close the recruitment, have to wait longer, or come up on the short end of the stick. The Longhorns have been a constant and I think that means quite a bit in this race.

Confidence: High

Rueben Owens, RB, El Campo

I see Texas being in the final three for Owens when it comes down to it. There was once a time where I thought it was almost a certainty Owens would end up back in the class, but there have always been ups and downs with this one. Owens competed in the state track meet last week and spent some time with players on the team. I think Texas is fully capable of winning this race, but it might not be quite as clean as we anticipated as Texas A&M and Georgia continue to come on strong.

Confidence: Medium-High

Cedric Baxter, RB, Orlando (Fla.) Edgewater

While there’s been some uncertainty regarding Owens, it feels like the stock has been going up for Baxter. From once being an out of state longshot, Baxter’s visit to Austin during the spring along with Tashard Choice’s role in the recruitment is starting to make this a real scenario. There are some in Austin who feel Texas is in a sneaky strong position for Baxter and a return visit could only strengthen that. Choice probably has the best relationship in the recruitment which helps the Longhorns quite a bit.

Cameron Cook, RB, Round Rock Stony Point

Cook has been pretty quiet, but it sounds like his college choice will likely take him outside of the state. Oregon is a school I’ve heard a lot for Cook, and I believe Texas is focused elsewhere with Tre Wisner already on board. Perhaps if Texas circles back and pushes harder this might change, but I don’t see Cook staying around Austin.

Confidence: Low

Jalen Brown, WR, Miami (Fla.) Gulliver Prep

Texas will likely get an official visit for the elite speedster out of Miami, and the Longhorns could likely get final consideration when Brown goes to make his decision. I still feel the Hurricanes are likely the team to beat for the dynamic playmaker. This could go up if Brown returns for an official, but I think the confidence rating accurately reflects Texas’ place as a school sitting in the pack but not pushing to the top at the moment.

Confidence: Medium

Jalen Hale, WR, Longview

Hale’s recruitment was once pretty clear, but it now looks like there’s some confusion at the top for the Longview playmaker. Oklahoma was once a strong contender for him, but the Sooners seemed to fall off in the last few months. Texas A&M also remains a strong possibility, but there hasn’t been as much buzz there as of late. Texas has been hot and cold in the recruitment, but perhaps the Longhorns could take advantage of the confusion and make a move with the east Texas playmaker.

Johntay Cook, WR, DeSoto

Cook’s recruitment has been pretty high profile with a lot of eyes on it. Texas and Texas A&M seem to be the front runners, but I wouldn’t count the other programs recruiting him out of the action. In the end, I think this will probably still come down to a showdown between Lone Star State rivals Texas and Texas A&M.

Jaquaize Pettaway, WR, Houston Langham Creek

Texas was able to make a move with Pettaway during the spring rising up his list and becoming a legitimate contender for the speedy Houstonian. Oklahoma is the other school I’m watching in the race for Pettaway, but with Brennan Marion, Texas is positioned well to pull off the win.

DeAndre Moore Jr., WR, Los Alamitos (Calif.)

As we reported in the spring, there was growing confidence regarding Moore and his chances of landing at Texas. USC will be a tough opponent, but I think Texas is in a good spot as they look to get Moore back on campus for an official visit.

Jaden Greathouse, WR, Austin Westlake

Texas has been a constant in the race for Greathouse as they look to keep the Westlake wide receiver at home. The Longhorns are a school he’s had the most familiarity with but Notre Dame has been able to come on strong as of late. Texas will get the last official visit for him, so the Longhorns will have a chance to slam the door in late June and add the intriguing playmaker.

Rico Flores, WR, Folsom (Calif.)

The Longhorns have remained in the top group for Flores, but I’m not sure how serious they are as a contender or how hard they are pushing for him. We will see if flores actually decides to make a visit to Austin, but I can’t see him ending up in this class as of now.

Confidence: Medium-Low

Jonah Wilson, WR, Houston Dekaney

Wilson has been a priority for Texas as an X receiver with the frame and physicality to make an impact on the outside. The Longhorns impressed Wilson early getting him on campus for a visit during the spring and will hope to have him return this summer for him to make a decision prior to the season.

Kyle Parker, WR, Lucas Lovejoy

The way things unfold with Parker and Texas will depend on how the rest of the class plays out for the Longhorns. Parker has been looking at programs like Penn State and Louisville, while numbers at the position could have Parker’s spot in jeopardy if there are any other commitments.

Lafayette Kaiuway, TE, Arlington Sam Houston

Texas is primarily facing a push from TCU while North Carolina has been the chief opponent for the big-bodied playmaker. Texas will work to get Kaiuway on campus late in the summer in hopes of making a big impact before he makes a decision pre-fall. While Texas is in a good spot, they will still have to outlast a surging North Carolina program.

Spencer Shannon, TE, Santa Ana (Calif.) Mater Dei

Shannon’s recruitment will also depend on how the board plays out for the Longhorns. Jeff Banks offered the massive Mater Dei pass-catcher during the spring game, and Texas could be in position to close when he makes his commitment during the summer. It will be up to Jeff Banks to walk the fine line for numbers with other tight end targets on the board.

Will Randle, TE, New Orleans (LA.) Isidore Newman

The Longhorns are also in a position to close the deal on Randle this summer with or without his teammate Arch Manning. Texas appears to be in a good spot with Randle and are set to host him again for an official visit this summer. I think Texas is in position to close the deal if they want to move on Randle along with Manning.

Zalance Heard, OL/DL, Monroe (LA.) Neville

We haven’t been able to connect much with Heard, but we continue to hear buzz that Texas stands in a strong position for the two-way athlete who could play on either side of the ball in the trenches. We’ll work on finding out more there, but based off buzz alone, we are keeping the confidence at a strong level.

Isaiah Robinson, OL, Arlington Lamar

Robinson is headed toward the next phase of his recruitment, and I don’t think we will see Texas make it much longer. The Longhorns haven’t been as engaged with Robinson for the last few months as they’ve looked at some other targets.

Confidence: Low

Ian Reed, OL Austin Vandergrift

Texas offered Reed early in the recruitment and have watched as major programs began to take aim at him as well. Kyle Flood was able to make an early impression on Reed and Texas has a strong foothold, but they will have to outlast some big time programs.

Connor Stroh, OL, Frisco Wakeland

Texas offered Stroh first and remain firmly in his Top 5 heading into the final stretch of his recruitment. Texas will face opposition from Arkansas and Texas A&M as the Razorbacks have been in it from the beginning and the Aggies have ties to the family through his parents. Relationships still matter quite a bit to Stroh and his family, and Texas has put in a lot of work on that front.

Caden Jones, OL, New Orleans (LA.) De La Salle

The Longhorns appear to be invested in the big offensive tackle from New Orleans after recently offering. It could be a numbers play to see if Jones has room to land in the class, but I believe Jones would be somewhat of a priority because of his advanced size and the ability to mold him into an offensive lineman with a tremendous frame.

Harris Sewell, OL, Odessa Permian

Sewell is probably the top offensive lineman in the state of Texas and his high-ceiling skillset is exactly what schools are looking for on the interior line. Texas should stand among the top schools for Sewell into the summer along with programs like Texas A&M and Alabama.

TJ Shanahan, OL, Austin Westlake

The Longhorns should make the next cut for the Westlake offensive lineman, but I’m not expecting them to be a major player at this point. Perhaps Texas can better its footing throughout the summer as Shanahan looks to a winter decision.

Confidence: Medium-Low

Markis Deal, OL/DL, Garland Naaman Forest

Deal has been vocal about wanting to play on the defensive line, and the Longhorns have been vocal about wanting to take Deal on whatever side of the ball he wants to play. Once Deal sets his visits, I expect Texas to make the final group.

Jaydon Chatman, OL, Killeen Harker Heights

Chatman visited Austin several times during the spring and was vocal about how much it meant for Texas to be the first program to offer him. Chatman will look into a few major programs nationally, but I like where Texas is at this point.

Andre Cojoe, OL, Mansfield Timberview

Cojoe just officially visited TCU, but Texas has been a front runner for him and will host him on one of his last trips. Cojoe has been pretty quiet about the process but we expect Texas to make its own strong push for the Mansfield offensive lineman.

• Hook 'Em 4

IT Scoop:

Annual recruiting headwind rears its head

It’s that time of year again where the Texas football staff must overcome NFL draft futility. Predictably, and somewhat justifiably, rival schools are using UT’s struggles to put players in the NFL against the coaches. It’s justifiable in that Texas has struggled to put players in the draft, but that leaves out some important context — namely last year’s team only featured a few of this staff’s hand-picked players, and one of them, Xavier Worthy, will eventually be a first round draft pick.

Time and distance from the draft should dull those negative recruiting efforts somewhat but it will remain a headwind until the program produces more draft picks.

Class momentum will ultimately rely on the confluence of landing Arch Manning amidst a successful June official visit bloc, but as things stand right now, the staff is fielding calls from people wondering where the draft picks are. The short answer is, they’re on the way.

Tre Wisner, RB, Desoto (Texas)

When the On3 four-star committed to Texas after the spring game, it sent shockwaves throughout the state. The long-time Oklahoma lean really clicked with Tashard Choice and decided to jump in the 2023 recruiting boat. But Wisner still wants to take a few official visits. The 5-foot-11, 180 pounder holds offers from LSU, Florida, Texas A&M, and Auburn and he wants to see Oregon and Florida State in an official capacity. After tallying 2,231 total yards and 30 touchdowns in two seasons at Waco Connally, he recently transferred to Desoto, joining fellow UT target Johntay Cook. Inside Texas will be at the Desoto spring game this week.

Tausili Akana, LB, Lehi (Utah) Skyridge

When his big sister, Keonilei Akana, committed to Texas volleyball over the weekend, it was a strong data point in the Longhorns' pursuit of the On3 four-star linebacker. Texas has worked on the 6-foot-3, 215-pounder for over a year, including hosting the Kahuku (HI) native last summer. He's yet to schedule any officials, but he told Inside Texas he's looking hard at the Horns. He holds 30+ offers including Georgia, Nebraska, Michigan, and Texas, and is coming off USC and UCLA visits. He's also set to see Tennessee on Memorial Day weekend. Oklahoma and Oregon should also get visits, and he prefers to have a commitment decision before his senior season, meaning Texas will want him to schedule and official visit soon. The key here is getting Akana back on campus, and with sister moving in around early June, that could certainly line up in the early summer.

Peyton Woodyard, S, Bellflower (Calif.) St. John Bosco

After playing baseball, Woodyard (good last name for that sport) is back on the football field for spring ball and camp season. The On3 Consensus No. 19 overall prospect for 2024 recently took trips to Oregon and Michigan State and is looking at visits to Alabama, Geogia, and Texas this summer. At 6-foot-1, 190 pounds, Woodyard holds offers from Notre Dame, USC, Ohio State, and Oklahoma among others, and has committed to play in the All-American Bowl in San Antonio. Notre Dame is definitely one of his top schools and the program to watch in these sweepstakes. He’s probably the top safety on the 2024 Texas big board.

When Tashard Choice was hired at Texas, many wondered if the Longhorns would have a realistic shot at the nations No. 1 ranked running back. Fast forward to May, and Texas is in the final five and Choice has the Longhorns in a solid position. Inside Texas still leans to Florida or Miami winning out at the end of the day, but the Texas side has some quiet confidence. Texas A&M and Arkansas round out the five in serious contention. Baxter had not scheduled any official visits as of late last week, but he is expected back on campus this summer. Edgewater High plays their spring game Friday. It will not be a surprise if Choice is in attendance to close out the spring eval period.

• Hook 'Em 2

49 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

When Tashard Choice was hired at Texas, many wondered if the Longhorns would have a realistic shot at the nations No. 1 ranked running back. Fast forward to May, and Texas is in the final five and Choice has the Longhorns in a solid position. Inside Texas still leans to Florida or Miami winning out at the end of the day, but the Texas side has some quiet confidence. Texas A&M and Arkansas round out the five in serious contention. Baxter had not scheduled any official visits as of late last week, but he is expected back on campus this summer. Edgewater High plays their spring game Friday. It will not be a surprise if Choice is in attendance to close out the spring eval period.

not "quiet confidence" - anything but quiet confidence!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Spoiler

By: Gerry, Justin, and Eric

Each recruiting class is a spectrum between best case and worst case. Currently Texas is trending more towards the best case, but the coaches will need to close out Arch Manning and then win the games they’re supposed to this fall. Do that, and we’ll see some surprises that are currently hard to visualize.

True or false, Texas will land:

Cedric Baxter

GH: False. Tashard Choice has Texas truly in the thick of this one. Florida and Miami close to home with new coaches and year one momentum will make it difficult.

JW: False. Texas loves him but pulling from Florida will be tough.

EN: False. I can see him at Texas, especially with Bijan Robinson setting a perfect example of what it’s like to be the lead back at UT. That said, it’s one thing to pull a five-star running back out of Arizona, but something entirely different to pull one out of Florida. I do like that UT doesn’t appear to be battling with Georgia or Alabama.

Jalen Brown

GH: False. A “must get” recruit for Miami. Doesn’t mean he’s going to Miami, but this is a big one for the Hurricanes. LSU and Texas are expected to receive OV’s, however.

JW: False. He really likes Texas, but others appear more appealing.

EN: False. This is another recruitment where UT has a lot in its favor, other than proximity, and should be able to make things interesting. It’s just hard to win these recruitments absent home field advantage.

Anthony Hill

GH: False. But this one will be close. Too much on the line. Texas vs. Texas A&M with Oklahoma and Miami strong. Alabama and USC on the peripheral, for now. Continue to hear close to home at end of the day.

JW: False. But I’m open to switching to true under the right circumstances.

EN: True. That isn’t to say Texas leads as of today, but I think UT’s class is going to get a big bounce and the seasons sets up pretty well, mostly thanks to the offense. Hill notices the opportunity for immediate snaps.

Derion Gullette

GH: True. Texas continues to be a constant in this recruitment. One person close to the recruitment believes Texas wins out over Texas A&M, Alabama, and Ohio State at the end of the day.

JW: True. Texas is trending nicely.

EN: True. The staff is handling this recruitment wisely and Gullette knows he has two potential paths to the field.

David Hicks Jr

GH: False. Texas will get the On3 Consensus 5-star on campus in June, and very likely for an official visit in December. With that said, there is a lot of work to be done with Oklahoma and Texas A&M way out in front.

JW: False. Too many programs higher on his mind.

EN: False. Texas is trailing too much as of now for me to make a bold prediction, but Hicks is listed because I expect this recruitment to get more interesting down the stretch.

Malik Muhammad

GH: True. The recent visit put this recruitment back on track. It also helps somewhat A&M has two corners committed, including Muhammad’s teammate Jayvon Thomas, and is still going after Javien Toviano.

JW: True. But it’ll take a strong summer courtship. Fortunately it seems to be trending that way.

EN: True. This is a kid who profiles to Texas, just like much of his family. In fact, he has multiple cousins at Texas currently. He’s viewed as both a good program and scheme fit. Sark and Chris Gilbert have assisted Terry Joseph here.

Markis Deal

GH: True. The competition is hammering Texas not having a player drafted on this recruitment. Close to home will win out at the end of the day. That’s good news for TCU, Texas, and maybe Oklahoma. Deal is expected back on campus this summer.

JW: True. Texas just needs to stay the course, and remain open on DL possibilities.

EN: True. Key here is Texas being happy to take him for his preferred position of defensive tackle.

Let’s get seven more for tomorrow.

Surprised how optimistic they are about Muhammad

Edited by Hookem2147
  • Hook 'Em 1

22 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:
  Hide contents

By: Gerry, Justin, and Eric

Each recruiting class is a spectrum between best case and worst case. Currently Texas is trending more towards the best case, but the coaches will need to close out Arch Manning and then win the games they’re supposed to this fall. Do that, and we’ll see some surprises that are currently hard to visualize.

True or false, Texas will land:

Cedric Baxter

GH: False. Tashard Choice has Texas truly in the thick of this one. Florida and Miami close to home with new coaches and year one momentum will make it difficult.

JW: False. Texas loves him but pulling from Florida will be tough.

EN: False. I can see him at Texas, especially with Bijan Robinson setting a perfect example of what it’s like to be the lead back at UT. That said, it’s one thing to pull a five-star running back out of Arizona, but something entirely different to pull one out of Florida. I do like that UT doesn’t appear to be battling with Georgia or Alabama.

Jalen Brown

GH: False. A “must get” recruit for Miami. Doesn’t mean he’s going to Miami, but this is a big one for the Hurricanes. LSU and Texas are expected to receive OV’s, however.

JW: False. He really likes Texas, but others appear more appealing.

EN: False. This is another recruitment where UT has a lot in its favor, other than proximity, and should be able to make things interesting. It’s just hard to win these recruitments absent home field advantage.

Anthony Hill

GH: False. But this one will be close. Too much on the line. Texas vs. Texas A&M with Oklahoma and Miami strong. Alabama and USC on the peripheral, for now. Continue to hear close to home at end of the day.

JW: False. But I’m open to switching to true under the right circumstances.

EN: True. That isn’t to say Texas leads as of today, but I think UT’s class is going to get a big bounce and the seasons sets up pretty well, mostly thanks to the offense. Hill notices the opportunity for immediate snaps.

Derion Gullette

GH: True. Texas continues to be a constant in this recruitment. One person close to the recruitment believes Texas wins out over Texas A&M, Alabama, and Ohio State at the end of the day.

JW: True. Texas is trending nicely.

EN: True. The staff is handling this recruitment wisely and Gullette knows he has two potential paths to the field.

David Hicks Jr

GH: False. Texas will get the On3 Consensus 5-star on campus in June, and very likely for an official visit in December. With that said, there is a lot of work to be done with Oklahoma and Texas A&M way out in front.

JW: False. Too many programs higher on his mind.

EN: False. Texas is trailing too much as of now for me to make a bold prediction, but Hicks is listed because I expect this recruitment to get more interesting down the stretch.

Malik Muhammad

GH: True. The recent visit put this recruitment back on track. It also helps somewhat A&M has two corners committed, including Muhammad’s teammate Jayvon Thomas, and is still going after Javien Toviano.

JW: True. But it’ll take a strong summer courtship. Fortunately it seems to be trending that way.

EN: True. This is a kid who profiles to Texas, just like much of his family. In fact, he has multiple cousins at Texas currently. He’s viewed as both a good program and scheme fit. Sark and Chris Gilbert have assisted Terry Joseph here.

Markis Deal

GH: True. The competition is hammering Texas not having a player drafted on this recruitment. Close to home will win out at the end of the day. That’s good news for TCU, Texas, and maybe Oklahoma. Deal is expected back on campus this summer.

JW: True. Texas just needs to stay the course, and remain open on DL possibilities.

EN: True. Key here is Texas being happy to take him for his preferred position of defensive tackle.

Let’s get seven more for tomorrow.

Surprised how optimistic they are about Muhammad

Same here. That is interesting. 

5 minutes ago, UncleBuck said:

Same here. That is interesting. 

Sounds like our coaches might be negative recruiting the fact A&M already has 2 corners committed and is going to have to manage numbers. Not a bad strategy.

Edited by Hookem2147

5 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Sounds like our coaches might be negative recruiting the fact A&M already has 2 corners committed and is going to have to manage numbers. Not a bad strategy.

Probably courtesy of Phatterson - one of the all-time negative recruiting greats!

TCU coach Gary Patterson loses his mind after SMU flag planting attempt

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, texifornia said:

The southwestern TE offer bombing continues:

https://247sports.com/Player/Collins-Acheampong-46117602/

That's interesting:

Athletic Background

Also plays basketball.
Averaged 8.8 ppg, 8.0 rpg, and 1.1 bpg while shooting 67 percent from the field during 2020-21 sophomore basketball season.
Played football as a freshman in Fall 2019, recording 51 tackles, 15 TFL, nine sacks, and one fumble recovery. Fairmont Prep disbanded its football program as a result of the coronavirus pandemic.

2 minutes ago, Bevo said:

Fairmont Prep disbanded its football program as a result of the coronavirus pandemic.

Um, I hope he found a new place to play.

Also, I guess because the seasons overlap it would be impossible to play both basketball and football at the collegiate level.  Can anyone remember an athlete doing that?

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, JesusSweatDuck said:

Also, I guess because the seasons overlap it would be impossible to play both basketball and football at the collegiate level.  Can anyone remember an athlete doing that?

Julius Peppers and Ronald Curry (the QB) at UNC come to mind. 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, JesusSweatDuck said:

Ronald Curry, Julius Peppers, Marcellus Bennet, Charlie Ward to name a few.

• Hook 'Em 2

3 minutes ago, UncleBuck said:

Julius Peppers and Ronald Curry (the QB) at UNC come to mind. 

1 minute ago, Dondrysdale1 said:

Ronald Curry, Julius Peppers, Marcellus Bennet, Charlie Ward to name a few.

So how did that work.  Did they just miss the opening part of the basketball season?

• Hook 'Em 1