Texas Recruiting Notes 2023: Strippers, Monkeys, and 5-Stars

Machinator

2 hours ago, Hookem2147 said:

GH:  Alabama and USC on the peripheral, for now. Continue to hear close to home at end of the day.

Son of a BITCH!!!!!!

He's started that shit again?  Can someone please correct that guy, for the love of everything that is sacred??

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, JesusSweatDuck said:

Um, I hope he found a new place to play.

Also, I guess because the seasons overlap it would be impossible to play both basketball and football at the collegiate level.  Can anyone remember an athlete doing that?

2019 Pro FB HOF inductee Tony Fuckin' Gonzalez played both at Cal. Damn I loved watching him play for the Chiefs.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Dondrysdale1 said:

Ronald Curry, Julius Peppers, Marcellus Bennet, Charlie Ward to name a few.

Because FSU was always in a New Years Day bowl back then, Charlie Ward essentially played the equivalent of one full season (33 games) his last two years and he’s still their all-time steals leader…

It's gonna be funny when all of the redshirt aggy recruits, that were bought and paid for to sit and wait for their turn, hit the market again. The hundreds of thousands that it took to buy them, will turn into millions to keep them. Their roster will be picked over like buzzards on a carcass. I think they were amazingly (not-amazing for aggy) very short sighted.

We may be possibly seeing an end to an era. The only recruits will be bonafide day-one starters, or have a senior in front of them. The new roster model will be to cherrypick and tamper proven guys into the portal for 30-40% of roster turnover.

All the proven, VVS diamonds, will be cherrypicked. aggy will be left with the SI-2s. They can't afford to keep them all.

CHIEF

9 hours ago, texifornia said:

The southwestern TE offer bombing continues:

https://247sports.com/Player/Collins-Acheampong-46117602/

9 hours ago, Bevo said:

Athletic Background

Also plays basketball….
Played football as a freshman in Fall 2019, recording 51 tackles, 15 TFL, nine sacks, and one fumble recovery. Fairmont Prep disbanded its football program as a result of the coronavirus pandemic.

Oh… you’re not getting on the field your freshman year while you learn the offensive playbook?…

Would you be interested in playing right away at EDGE?

Mike at Night: Two big summer visitors for Texas

Mike Roach

Spoiler

Mike at Night: Two big summer visitors for Texas

Mike Roach

— I mentioned last week that Texas could get some help with four-star Lehi (Utah) Skyridge EDGE Tausili Akana if they were able to land his sister Keonilei Akana in the volleyball transfer portal. Texas did just that after an official visit to Austin last week. Now, the Longhorns will host her brother this summer on an unofficial visit and work to get him back for an official. After competing at the UC Report camp in California over the weekend, 247Sports' Brandon Huffman also noted Texas as a school to watch for Akana.

— Texas will host Kahuku (HI) linebacker Liona Lefau in early June for an official visit. Jeff Choate just returned from the islands after visiting Lefau last week and the four-star linebacker told me they had a really good talk while Choate was in town. Oregon, Utah and USC are the other schools considered to be serious contenders for him, but Lefau has a legitimate interest in Texas. One thing that could hurt is the lack of Polynesian athletes on the Texas roster. One thing that could help is getting Akana in on the same weekend as Lefau. The two are former teammates and friends and it could help ease that issue for Texas. Lefau also has family in the state of Texas which could help to ease a possible transition.

— I checked in with a few sources over the weekend on transfer wide receiver Jordan Addison. Unfortunately, I haven't heard a lot of new information post-visit. As I said, I think Texas did a great job on the visit and did everything they could do. Now it's just a waiting game. I've talked with several sources at Texas, and nobody had a strong feeling coming out of the trip. Of the sources I spoke with, only a few thought Texas would be the pick while a few thought USC would ultimately land him. The majority of people I talked with confessed they didn't have a clear read on either.

— As Hudson detailed last night, we are both big fans of the decision to offer Zachary (LA.) EDGE Ashley Williams. I love his frame and explosive ability off the edge and expect him to be a fast riser in the rankings. I exchanged a few messages with Williams who was excited about the offer and is working on setting up a visit to Texas. Williams will take an unofficial trip to Nebraska on June 3 and officially visit Minnesota on June 10. He'd like to make a decision prior to his senior season, and I think Texas could make a push to get into his top group.

21 hours ago, CHIEF said:

It's gonna be funny when all of the redshirt aggy recruits, that were bought and paid for to sit and wait for their turn, hit the market again. The hundreds of thousands that it took to buy them, will turn into millions to keep them. Their roster will be picked over like buzzards on a carcass. I think they were amazingly (not-amazing for aggy) very short sighted.

We may be possibly seeing an end to an era. The only recruits will be bonafide day-one starters, or have a senior in front of them. The new roster model will be to cherrypick and tamper proven guys into the portal for 30-40% of roster turnover.

All the proven, VVS diamonds, will be cherrypicked. aggy will be left with the SI-2s. They can't afford to keep them all.

CHIEF

My guy, if you believe that only hundreds of thousands were spent on the mercenaries that ATM just signed, well, umm, wow. 

• Hook 'Em 2

12 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

My guy, if you believe that only hundreds of thousands were spent on the mercenaries that ATM just signed, well, umm, wow. 

If crypto was the game we might see some scurrying for a better pay day after those redshirt years in the station.

47 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Each. I’m not talking about aggregate. Do you think any recruit alone received 7 figures?

CHIEF

25 minutes ago, IDIOTsavant said:

Still don’t think that holding off was his choice.

I mean, he probably could have been in the class back in December/January when he was brought in for all those visit weekends but he kept saying he wanted to enjoy the process and then better options became available during the spring eval period and I’m sure Spencer committing played a role in us tapping the brakes.

Regarding Manning, some things to consider:
-He hasn't committed yet because he's got concerns about the competitiveness of where he wants to go. If he wanted to go to Georgia, he'd have gone to Georgia already. There are family members who think that's the best choice. 
-He's going to have insane alumni and corporate NIL deals wherever he goes so that's actually a completely irrelevant issue now. Everyone thought it mattered, but everyone underestimated the depth of $$ interest in NIL for the big name players. 
-If Texas lands Addison, it sends the best signal yet that Texas will do whatever it can to land whoever it needs to land in order for the team to have all of the weapons a QB could need.
Other stuff:
-Not much. Anyone predicting anything for top 200 players that have "open" recruitments is just wild ass guessing. NIL has changed everything. It comes first, then everything else in recruiting follows. The guys that won't be commanding a bunch of dough for a signature are a lot more predictable. 
-Texas is "in on all of the right guys" so that's good news. 
-If Texas doesn't get guys they're on in this cycle, it isn't because someone beat Texas on money. There might be an isolated idiot somewhere who let's someone like ATM frontrun everyone else and lock them up, but almost everyone is getting wise to the wait. Until you know your market value, leave everything open.
Bama:
-This landscape is not attractive to Saban and he's not going to wind up with an outright competitive advantage against the market when it comes to money and recruiting, which he's had for 15 years. The dude is getting old. There's a shot that this is his big run and when he wins it all again, he's out. 
-Bama was the perfect choice for the Mannings. Archie Manning views Bama as a no brainer. Rumor is that Saban would not give assurances that he'll still be coaching Bama in 2025.
Clemson:
-There's a legitimate shot that Swinney is fucking lost at this point. Head up his ass level naïve about NIL and the portal. There are a lot of people around the sport wondering what in the fuck Clemson is doing, because they're mostly acting like this is still 2015. 

I just read this today and it looks pretty solid with the Saban Jimbo pissing match ordeal.

As an outside observer I kind of agree on Clemson. They didn’t go 5-7, but they had major 2010-13 Mack Brown Texas vibes.