Texas Recruiting Notes 2023: Strippers, Monkeys, and 5-Stars

Machinator

Humidor

Spoiler

*Arch Manning, Isidore Newman (New Orleans, LA)

First, a few quotes from Newman head coach Nelson Stewart:

“(Milwee) spent all day here (Thursday). He’s been here most every week. Coach Flood came today too! He’s awesome. They (Texas) are all in that’s for sure.”

Clemson is out. “They did everything right in the recruitment and he enjoyed the process. He has just begun to trim down his list. So yes he has moved on from them. (Clemson OC Brandon) Streeter called to say how impressed he was and how well Arch handled the conversation. Think the world of Clemson.“

Insider notes:

— The next Texas visit will likely be toward the end of March. Spring ball begins March 22nd so that should allow Manning and his family (likely tight end Will Randle, too) to observe football activities.

— There has been speculation he will wait until the fall but IT hasn’t heard that credibly. What we’ve heard credibly is he doesn’t have a timeline. If he did wait until the fall that would be a clear indication the ball is still in Steve Sarkisian’s court, as it has been for a long time.

— Georgia offered Michigan 2023 five-star quarterback Dante Moore this week. That certainly has something to do with Arch, but in what way it’s hard to say. They could be guarding against a potential later timeline. IT doesn’t foresee any UT 2023 QB offers anytime soon, which is an indication they are all in. A 2023 QB offer would surprise us at this stage.

— The Mannings understand the importance of being a class leader. That does not mean they would make a decision if they aren’t fully comfortable with it. These two sentiments easily co-exist, internet fan.

— He is in touch with UT more than any other school.

— If Arch does select Texas, IT still feels good about the triumvirate of Arch, Johntay Cook, and Rueben Owens playing together, despite Cook’s and Owens’ recruitments becoming more hotly contested by the day.

— UT, Georgia, then Alabama. We are not buying into Ole Miss or LSU.

*Will Randle, Isidore Newman (New Orleans, LA)

Randle is a tight end who visited with Manning for the Oklahoma State game.

— Texas is one of his top two or three schools. SMU is pushing the hardest right now but UT is definitely recruiting him and he likes UT a lot.

— Ole Miss has been in contact with Randle and the new LSU staff has started reaching out.

— Randle and Arch are not a packaged deal, but they do like the idea of going to school together. Randle, like Arch, likes the school environment outside of football. At this point, if one of them committed first it would likely be Randle.

Recent Texas offers

After visiting with Round Rock's Ansel Nedore, Vandegrift's Ian Reed and Round Rock Stony Point's Cameron Cook in person this week, none of the three seem to be in a rush to make a decision.

If IT was handicapping the odds for Texas to win out on the three, it would be as follows:

1. Cameron Cook
2. Ansel Nedore
3. Ian Reed

Texas coaches final day on the road

In making some calls to sources in the DFW area, Texas assistants will be at the Friday night basketball games of On3 Consensus 5-star DL David Hicks of Allen, and On3 Consensus 4-star DL/OL Markis Deal of Garland Naaman Forest.

Texas was at Neville High School in Monroe, La. on Thursday to check in on one of the top targets in the 2023 class, On3's No. 14 overall prospect Zalance Heard. Heard has the Longhorns very high on his list because he prefers to start his college career on the defensive line.

Another 2023 Neville prospect on the Texas radar is EDGE Matthew Fobbs-White. The 6-foot-3, 225-pounder has offers from Oklahoma State and Baylor with serious interest from many others.

According to a source in Monroe, La., a Texas assistant was also at West Monroe High School on Thursday. The source believed that Texas was taking a look at 2024 TE Nate Green.

Weekend visitors

WR Braylon James, Del Valle (Del Valle, TX) - 2023: At 6-foot-3, 180 pounds, the No. 112 prospect in the On3 Consensus is making the very short trip to Austin today. He holds offers from UT, Texas A&M, Stanford, and LSU. He visited College Station last weekend.

James met Brennan Marion on Wednesday during the wide receiver coach’s visit to Del Valle.

Texas recently offered Jonah Wilson, four-star receiver from Spring Dekaney. These two would likely have the same fit in the class.

ATH Mikal Harrison-Pilot, Temple (Temple, TX) - 2023: The No. 90 overall 2023 prospect in the On3 Consensus is making his way to Austin on Friday. MHP is one of UT’s top safety targets, but is being recruited as an athlete. He holds 30+ offers including Texas, Alabama, Michigan, and LSU. Harrison-Pilot has been a frequent guest in Austin during his recruitment and has made a solid connection with Blake Gideon. Steve Sarkisian is also involved in this recruitment.

Brooks Brothers

Thursday night, Inside Texas learned 2022 Shiner (Texas) ATH Doug Brooks was on an official visit to Texas A&M-Kingsville. Why is the two-time state champion's trip to the Division II school notable? It affects the recruitment of his brother, 2023 Shiner S Dalton Brooks, who holds a Texas offer.

Per sources, Texas A&M head coach Jimbo Fisher is trying to help Doug Brooks find a place to play next season as part of his aggressive pitch to Dalton. We don't believe TAMUK was one of those schools. Doug had offers from UTSA and Houston, but both schools are no longer options for the 6-foot-0, 265-pounder. Fisher gave Doug a preferred walk-on opportunity in College Station, but as IT has previously reported, Doug is not interested in the walk-on route. Texas has made the same PWO offer.

Why Kingsville then? It's not too far from Shiner and would allow for early playing time. Doug's freshman year would likely be used to see where Dalton ends up in the event the brothers want to team up again. Also, much of the recruiting process is brand new to the elder Brooks, who elected to visit TAMUK over Louisiana-Monroe.

With Denton (Texas) Guyer's Peyton Bowen committed to Notre Dame, the process still in the early stages with Harrison-Pilot and Abernathy's Anthony White, and San Antonio Brennan's Tyler Turner still committed to Baylor, Dalton is one of the biggest secondary targets still on the board for the Longhorns. Where Doug ends up could be critical to where Dalton signs in a year.

Make no mistake, A&M is pushing very hard right now and UT would be wise to counter.

Hoops

Texas has a standout visitors list this weekend for the Saturday showdown with Rick Barnes’ Tennessee Volunteers.

At the top of the list is 2024 Dallas Lake Highlands shooting guard Tre Johnson. Johnson is the son of former Baylor basketball player Richard Johnson. While he began his career at Baylor, Richard finished at Midwestern State. One of the coaches that recruited Richard to Baylor was Texas assistant Rodney Terry. The 6-foot-5 high-end guard is a top 5 prospect in the 2024 class with offers from Texas, Baylor, Kansas, Illinois, Tennessee, Oklahoma State, Texas Tech and Texas A&M.

2023 McKinney guard Ja’Kobe Walter, the No 21. prospect in the On3 Consensus, will be on hand Saturday night coming off an eye-opening visit to Auburn. The 6-foot-5 guard is a top target for the Longhorn staff, and has been on campus prior to Saturday. Walter’s list consists of Auburn, Texas, Baylor, Oklahoma, Alabama, Kansas, Florida, Arkansas and LSU. Gonzaga is a potential offer in the coming weeks/months.

TJ Ford Jr. of Ridge Point will spend time with the Texas staff Saturday. Former Naismith and Wooden Award winner T.J. Ford will be a big part of the celebration of Rick Barnes prior to the game Saturday night. Ford Jr. is a very athletic 5-foot-10 junior point guard that is putting together a terrific season for Ridge Point. Ford Jr. is getting serious looks from Creighton, LSU, Texas A&M, Texas and a growing list of others.

The visit list will also likely grow prior to Saturday.

• Hook 'Em 3

Pair of 2023 four-star targets on campus Friday

Nick Harris

Spoiler

Pair of 2023 four-star targets on campus Friday

Nick Harris

A week after hosting a large group of prospects for its Elite Day event, Texas is welcoming in two Central Texas four-star targets on Friday that were not able to make it onto campus last Saturday.

Temple (Texas) four-star athlete Mikal Harrison-Pilot and Del Valle (Texas) four-star wide receiver Braylon James both will make individual trips to campus on Friday to meet with coaches that are on campus and to be around the team and facilities.

Harrison-Pilot, who has legitimate Power Five potential on both sides of the ball, had a stellar junior season in which he rushed for 168 yards and eight touchdowns along with hauling in 29 receptions for 484 yards and six touchdowns on offense while accounting for 20 tackles and one interception on defense. While it's far from being set in stone, Harrison-Pilot's trajectory according to the Texas coaching staff is at the safety position.

??40 Acres tomorrow?? #HookEm???? pic.twitter.com/V54v3MQ400

— Mikal Harrison-Pilot (@MikalPilot) January 27, 2022
James, who resides in nearby Del Valle, will make his first trip to Austin since the hiring of new wide receivers coach Brennan Marion. The change in the position coach should give Texas a breath of fresh air in a recruitment where out-of-state powers such as Stanford and Ohio State have created some separation from the rest of the pack. In his junior season, James hauled in 47 receptions for 568 yards and six touchdowns.

In the neighborhood tomorrow…?@BrennanMarion4 @CoachSark ???? pic.twitter.com/0y0E0zrbKD

— Braylon James (@braylon_james14) January 27, 2022
In what is expected to be a light weekend in terms of visitors coming to campus, Texas is also expected to welcome in a large contingency from the Speed-Power-Exposure collective on Friday. Click here for the full list of recruits expected to tag along for that visit.

Texas four-star 2022 signee Derrick Brown is also expected to make it to campus to help with recruiting efforts with any prospects that make their way in.

2 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Any idea what the tweets are about? Main account tweeted 🤘 and staff and coaches tweeting some stuff as eell

Obviously they read Roach’s article saying Patterson is now officially a Longhorn

3 hours ago, futureman said:

gilbert was also on campus in austin for the ‘09 season. so you’re mixed up. 

4 hours ago, futureman said:

so he beat you?

08 I’m sorry. . . And yea they did 21-20 he had 1 TD but 3 picks that was why I said that 

On 1/28/2022 at 12:04 PM, Big Woodrows said:

Humidor

Hide contents

TJ Ford Jr. of Ridge Point will spend time with the Texas staff Saturday. Former Naismith and Wooden Award winner T.J. Ford will be a big part of the celebration of Rick Barnes prior to the game Saturday night. Ford Jr. is a very athletic 5-foot-10 junior point guard that is putting together a terrific season for Ridge Point. Ford Jr. is getting serious looks from Creighton, LSU, Texas A&M, Texas and a growing list of others.

The visit list will also likely grow prior to Saturday.

On 1/28/2022 at 1:08 PM, Huckleberry said:

TJ Ford, Jr.

Fuck me, but fuck time more. 

Only player I had a class with - just happened to be fundamentals of acting. Blow off of class for everyone involved.  It was spring semester so think I saw him twice.    Always chuckle when folks get it confused that the male athletes actually play school with only a few exceptions.  

Yes to fuck time as well my oldest is 9.

No reason why you don’t get Ford Jr. on campus though.

38 minutes ago, Thatguy said:

In one of these threads I said Texas would be stupid if they weren't pursuing this kid. Glad to see they are on their game. This kid's mom is a friend of my wife and his little sister is my kid's teammate. Pops played for pig but I forgave him already. Mom played bball for Tulsa. He is every bit of 6'5 and is filling out everyday. Smart kid, the kind you want playing here. If his speed stays up as he gains weight he will be a problem. Hope we get him. I will stay in his ear on my side. Hope the coaches close the deal. 

This is either a solid scouting report or an expert-level @Harvdog troll. Make sure to update us if he starts shoving your kids in trash cans. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Thatguy said:

In one of these threads I said Texas would be stupid if they weren't pursuing this kid. Glad to see they are on their game. This kid's mom is a friend of my wife and his little sister is my kid's teammate. Pops played for pig but I forgave him already. Mom played bball for Tulsa. He is every bit of 6'5 and is filling out everyday. Smart kid, the kind you want playing here. If his speed stays up as he gains weight he will be a problem. Hope we get him. I will stay in his ear on my side. Hope the coaches close the deal. 

Gerry was referring to someone whose mom went to UT in the latest youtube video.  I think it might be him.

1 hour ago, Thatguy said:

Throw in some Best Buy coupons to entice his decisions. I'm sure youre good for it.

Edited by SA-KC_Horn

1 hour ago, Burt Macklin said:

This is either a solid scouting report or an expert-level @Harvdog troll. Make sure to update us if he starts shoving your kids in trash cans. 

Wow.  Original.  You remind me of a 3 year-old who says something….gets a laugh….and then says it every 2 minutes to get the same response.  I admitted I was wrong about Tunmise.  That was 2 cycles ago.  Let’s move on.  

• Hook 'Em 2

3 minutes ago, Harvdog said:

Wow.  Original.  You remind me of a 3 year-old who says something….gets a laugh….and then says it every 2 minutes to get the same response.  I admitted I was wrong about Tunmise.  That was 2 cycles ago.  Let’s move on.  

The more you let people know something gets to you...

• Haha 3

54 minutes ago, Harvdog said:

Buddy. You should look at it like you’re only 2 cycles in to the shit you’re going to get…

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Burt Macklin said:

Braylan hasn't really participated in all the camps these kids are in to be evaluated due to injuries, so he has been flying under the radar. However, his older brother Ty was just in this years senior bowl. He plays edge. His pops played edge for Piggy back in the transition days. So not only is he a good student, but he is getting tons of feedback from people older than him that played the same position at a higher level. So you have a kid who is an uber athlete at 6'5, 230, and runs a legit 4.5 40, clocked a top speed of 20.56mph, who understands the game a little better than most kids with his talent level. PK was his handler, and Sark was here himself at Friendswood last week. Kid has 23 offers so far. USC, Texas, Penn State, Mich St, TCU, and much more. I am just happy for the kid.

• Like 1